Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 17th Century Cavalry Carbine. Reproduction. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Mon 07 Feb, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: 17th Century Cavalry Carbine. Reproduction.         Reply with quote

Hi Gordon, finally took a pic of the carbine. It is based on the Littlecote carbines. It came with the 18th century lock. I have always meant to track down a 17th century Doglock for it but have just never gotten around to it.

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

"Come! Let us lay a lance in rest,
And tilt at windmills under a wild sky!
For who would live so petty and unblessed
That dare not tilt at something, ere he die?"
--Errantry, John Galsworthy
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod;

Thanks! Very cool little carbine! I've always liked the feel of the Littlecote Carbines... though they sure look funny. But they ARE comfortable to sight, which is what matters. Haven't shot one yet... I assume that they're comfortable to shoot, too?

Don't worry too much about the Brown Bess lock... heck, I have a photo of a JRII lock that is to all intents an purposes identical to the Bess locks. Not "Banana" shaped at all. So although it's a BIT off, it's still a definite 17th Century lock style, and they really, really work well! I like the fact that yous is octagon to round, too. Is this one in .75", like your "killer" carbine? Big Grin It's a good looking little carbine you have there! Bravo!

Nice sword and main gauche, too... who did those? Way cool set! And of course you already have the armour...

Thanks again for posting, I've enjoyed seeing your toys!

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Gordon, that is the Killer carbine Big Grin .

.75cal and a beast. Not particulary accurate though. I guess it doesn't matter as you would be shooting at a mass of men anyway.

The main gauche and sword blades are by Peter Lyon, (he of LOTR sword fame). The hilts were done by a local armourer here in Australia.

They are a funny looking stock aren't they. It is surprisingly comfortable to shoot and very easy to use from horseback.

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod;

Ah, how cool! Peter Lyon now has quite the name these days, what? Excellent. Any nifty things to report on them?

And "AHA!" So this IS the "Killer Carbine", LOL! Big Grin So since you've done some practice with ball since the innaugural event, what size ball were you using? I found that with a nice clean barrel in a Bess, a .715" ball (no patch, of course) does very well at 100 yards... the .730" is fine for the first two shots or so, but then is WAY too tight with any fouling. (One of these days I'll tell you about the famous bayonet charge on snowshoes... not a recommended practice!)

I'd also love to hear (and I suspect others on this board would too, though they are too shy to mention it) about some of your experiences in shooting from horseback, and the intricacies of loading from the saddle!

Thanks again, Rod, and take care!

Cheers,

Gordon

William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 08 Feb, 2005 5:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What an awesome set! Very nice, indeed...thanks for sharing....

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wonderful looking set, Rod.

I agree with comments that the carbine "looks a little funny", but, since you fellows describe it as comfortable, I think that all "a little funny" means is that whoever designed it knew something about ergonomics!

Don't hesitate to post more pictures!
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will drag out all my 17th century equipment this weekend, mount up and have some pics taken using the carbine, sword etc.
Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking at the stock I wonder if it was designed to be used at times with the stock supported under the armpit when used from horse back one handed.

Although a short weapon it looks like too much of an effort was spent designing it to for it to be meant to be used only as a point and shoot weapon: I assume that with the right load and size ball it would act more like a short rifle than a cut down shotgun!

Is it smooth bore or rifled and how good is the trigger pull: Simple or set trigger ? Hard to tell from the photo but there seems to be front sight at least, can't tell if there is a rear sight.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Rod Walker

PostPosted: Wed 09 Feb, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a smooth bore. The trigger pull is quite hard. I usually use two fingers on it as it give me more control. I have used it one handed with the butt tucked under my arm. Usually I ride in, turn to the off side (right) and lay it over my bridle arm to steady it.
Mind you I have also, 'in extremis' ,just held it like a bloody big pistol and fired it. Big Grin

Cheers

Rod
Jouster
www.jousting.com.au

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Thu 10 Feb, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod Walker wrote:
It is a smooth bore. The trigger pull is quite hard. I usually use two fingers on it as it give me more control. I have used it one handed with the butt tucked under my arm. Usually I ride in, turn to the off side (right) and lay it over my bridle arm to steady it.
Mind you I have also, 'in extremis' ,just held it like a bloody big pistol and fired it. Big Grin

Just not with ball, right? Big Grin Although, heck, "in extremis" whatever works, works! As the "Murphy's Law" addendums say, "If its a dumb idea, but it works, it isn't dumb". Happy

As I recall, holding it over your bridle arm was pretty much the standard way that Cromwell's troopers were taught to fire their carbines from the saddle, so makes perfect sense to do the same. Nice thing about such a short barrel, you can pretty much handle it like a big pistol when you need to! Heck, Cavalrymen were doing that in the 19th Century with Martini Carbines and the like too... OUCH!

Interesting thing about the construction of firearms is how much they follow the artistic taste of the day. The cool Ball-Butt wheellock pistols like mine are very Mannerist in form, while the Littlecote Carbine like this one is getting into that Baroque form of line. Late Victorian arms follow the taste of the day, while early 20th Century arms have that Arte Neuveau look, and mid-20th Century arms are VERY "Buck Rogers" looking... now they're "Star Wars". Life Imitates Art.

Anyway, VERY cool set... too bad you're in Oz, Rod! I wish we could play together someday. Jeeze... your 16th Century gend'arme kit, and your 17th Century Harquebusier kit would be GREAT to see in the field!

Cheers!

B. Fulton

PostPosted: Thu 10 Feb, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A lighter trigger is an accidental-fire waiting to happen, which is probably why it has a heavy trigger (on horseback, I mean.... on foot I have no problem with a 4lb trigger on a 1911A1).

The stock does look odd but ergonomically speaking probably fits just fine. Some guns are odd like that.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > 17th Century Cavalry Carbine. Reproduction.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic