Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help Needed Making Historic Costume Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2015 3:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
For braies I'm using a pattern similar to this one. You might want to lengthen the centre gusset as suggested by period depictions. My braies reach mid-calf and are fitted with a leather belt running through a folded "tube" at the waist.

This is a simple and useful shirt pattern. The shirt should be somewhat loose, maybe 10-20 cm (4-8 inches) bigger than your chest circumferance.

Thanks for these! I'm thinking I want the braies to hit right around the knees. I've also seen some with smaller draw strings in the hem of the legs, is this acceptable?
As for the shirt, I was thinking of doing a half-sleeve, but I haven't really seen any references to support short sleeved shirts, is this acceptable also?

Thanks again!

see you space cowboy...
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2015 10:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Easy patterns for clothing:
http://www.personal.utulsa.edu/~marc-carlson/cloth/bockhome.html

ferrum ferro acuitur et homo exacuit faciem amici sui
S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2015 10:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright, I'm ready to start getting some patterns and fabrics together and I have some more questions I'm hoping you guys can help me answer.

First up with the braies, I came across this other thread
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=31185.0
and I'm wondering, is it necessary for me to make them so large?! Is it a costume sin to make them more...eh proportionate I guess...to my own body type and size? Question 2: must they be white, or is natural linen acceptable?

The shirt is an easy one, that'll be natural linen.

For the chausses, are these linen or wool? I've seen much of both, but in the retail Renaissance costume arena, so I wanted some more informed opinions. Linen would definitely be cooler to wear for long periods of time.

Thanks again guys!

see you space cowboy...
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Thu 09 Jul, 2015 11:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Braies seem to have been made as a "one size fits all" type of garment until the 15th century. You'll find images of the Crucifixion to be your friend in researching those. There are some good examples shown in this lengthy thread on Armour Archive also, but remember to watch the dates of the sources.
http://forums.armourarchive.org/phpBB3/viewto...p;t=135302

Most illustrations show white for the braies and shirt, though a few colored examples exist. White is the best choice as it is the most common, and it's easy to make yourself a buffoon by only using too many of the most obscurely seen items.

Hosen/chausses are most commonly wool in Europe, though the military orders like the Templars and Hospitallers were known to issue linen hosen in the Middle East during warm weather. The mid-13th century King's Mirror from Norway calls for "good and loose hose, made of soft canvas and well blacked," (góđar hosur ok linar, görvar af blautu lérepti ok vel svörtuđu,) for use under the mail chausses, so you might want wool for civil dress, and heavier linen or hemp for under armor.

S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul, 2015 12:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
Hosen/chausses are most commonly wool in Europe, though the military orders like the Templars and Hospitallers were known to issue linen hosen in the Middle East during warm weather. The mid-13th century King's Mirror from Norway calls for "good and loose hose, made of soft canvas and well blacked," (góđar hosur ok linar, görvar af blautu lérepti ok vel svörtuđu,) for use under the mail chausses, so you might want wool for civil dress, and heavier linen or hemp for under armor.

Thanks, Mart. This is going to be for martial dress, so I think heavy linen will be the way to go.

I have three yards of a medium weight natural linen I was hoping to get to use on something for this project, but I guess I'll have to find some other use for it and pick up some more white linen instead. Don't want any disapproving head-shakes on the battlefield.

Thanks for the heads-up and the references.

see you space cowboy...
Mikael Ranelius

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul, 2015 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

S. Andrew B. wrote:

Thanks for these! I'm thinking I want the braies to hit right around the knees. I've also seen some with smaller draw strings in the hem of the legs, is this acceptable?
As for the shirt, I was thinking of doing a half-sleeve, but I haven't really seen any references to support short sleeved shirts, is this acceptable also?

Thanks again!

You are welcome. I've seen a few depictions of braies with drawstrings at the lower hems so they should count as accurate.
Medieval shirts are most often shown with full-length sleeves, but there are examples of half- or three quarter-length sleeves. It's difficult to tell though whether or not they are supposed to show long sleeves rolled up.

As pointed out, braies were full and loose up until the mid 14th century when the development of a new snug fashion called for shorter and more close-fitting garments. The underwear followed suit and from that period on the braies gradually grew shorter and smaller until they turned into miniscule briefs by the mid-late 1400s.

You can choose either natural/unbleached or bleached (white) linen for your braies and shirt. Unbleached linen will eventually turn off-white from repeated washing and exposure to sunlight. Most important is the quality of the fabric - the fabric needs to be densely woven and not too coarse or heavy, at least not for the braies.
S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Fri 10 Jul, 2015 8:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Mikael.

If my target period is from 1330 to 1350, that would put me right up to mid century, so I could possibly take on these more snug braies.

The more I look at shirts the more I think I'll just go full sleeve. It's a safer bet.

see you space cowboy...
Will S

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jul, 2015 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Remember - for linen to be white it had to have been bleached. While a relatively simple process, it wasn't high on the list of priorities. Go natural linen everywhere you can, even though most reenactors choose white.

Chausses really should be wool, and cut with the twill biased to 45 degrees. This allows them to stretch as much as possible over the knees, while still remaining tight and well fitted. Another classic reenactor mistake is to walk around with badly fitted off-the-shelf hose or chausses - these garments were made to measure. A knight had money, therefore his clothes would fit.

I recommend getting yourself a copy of Sarah Thursfields excellent book on making medieval clothing. Along with timelines for each garment, the patterns and instructions are second to none.
S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul, 2015 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Will,

This book is fantastic so far. Definitely a big help for making my linens, although there isn't any info really in the martial realm.

And I have another question: Padded chausses? I'm seeing these a lot, and even in some of the miniatures I'm using for reference, where you can see vertical quilting lines on the chausses. I'm assuming these were only worn for combat. Does anyone have more information on the time periods, materials, fit, etc.? Seems like a good idea to have some padding on your legs, whether it's between you and maille, plate armor, or just by itself.

see you space cowboy...
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul, 2015 5:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gamboissed cuisses on the thighs are fairly common. Gamboissed chausses or hosen??? What miniatures or effigies are you seeing these on? I think another interpretation might be in order.
S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul, 2015 5:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mart Shearer wrote:
Gamboissed cuisses on the thighs are fairly common. Gamboissed chausses or hosen??? What miniatures or effigies are you seeing these on? I think another interpretation might be in order.

Is that what I'm seeing here?

It's very possible I'm either using the wrong terminology or I mistook what I saw for something else. As always, your help is super welcomed. Educate me!

see you space cowboy...
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul, 2015 8:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

S. Andrew B. wrote:
Mart Shearer wrote:

Is that what I'm seeing here?

It's very possible I'm either using the wrong terminology or I mistook what I saw for something else. As always, your help is super welcomed. Educate me!

Figure 1: Effigy of Sir John Walkingham, Felixkirk, North Yorkshire, England, 1335. (Likely closer to 1320, IMO)
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/936/1168/
The legs appear to be covered with mail chausses. The knees have plate poleyns with decorative escutcheons. For the time period, I wouldn't be surprised if these added decorations were enameled brass. The thighs are obscured by the long aketon with it's vertical quilting lines and hauberk.

Figure 2: Effigy of Otto von Orlamünde, Kloster Himmelkron, Germany, 1340
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/3193/3138/
The legs are covered with plate greaves. The poleyns covering the knee are domed and fluted (also seen in contemporary manuscripts) with a decorative pendant lower edge, perhaps made of cloth or leather. The thighs are obscured by the aketon worn beneath a mail haubergeon and pair of plates.

Figure 3: Effigy of Sir Philip de la Beche II, St. Mary's, Aldworth, England, 1336.
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/640/1330/
The shins have plate or leather schynbalds (skinbaux) which only cover the front but not the calf. I see no evidence of any armor over the calf. The knees have very ornate poleyns over probable lames. The thighs appear to be covered with tightly quilted gamboissed cuisses which do not extend behind or beyond the knee.

Figure 4: Apparently based on the stained glass figure of Robert fitzHammon, Tewkesbury Abbey, England.
http://effigiesandbrasses.com/1627/1682/
The line drawing both adds and misses some of the details of the actual window. It mixes some of the features seen on the adjacent window of Hugh Despenser the Younger.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/pefkosmad/785795...otostream/
http://www.wga.hu/art/zgothic/stained/14c/01e_1302.jpg
Sir Robert appears to have fully enclosed plate greaves on the lower leg. A plate poleyn over the knee also appears.

The thigh armor is difficult to interpret. The line drawing seems to show an aketon with vertical quilting line beneath a pair of plates with rivets (Despenser's). The stained glass doesn't show this at all on fitzHammon, but seems to show a gamboissed cuisse covering the thigh with a plate which covers the front of the thigh and perhaps some mail over the padded cuisse towards the back.

Another option would be that the apparent plate on the front of the thigh shown in white glass should have been colored to be part of the surcoat, in which case we're back to an aketon and the bottom of the hauberk. The top of the hauberk, however, is yellow, indicating latten (brass) or gilding, while the mail down here is white. Then there is the pale green piece with vertical lines above, which I suspect is the real aketon.

At any rate, none of these show quilted chausses, which would cover the whole leg, thigh and shin.

Attachment: 75.93 KB
fitzHammon thigh.jpg

Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Sun 12 Jul, 2015 9:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A fine example of why you should use original material when you can rather than someone else's interpretation of the material. Which gives you a better sense of form and line? Do the surviving colors give you a better indication of the gauntlet construction? Is the bascinet as angular as you might have thought, etc...

vs.

S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Mon 13 Jul, 2015 12:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you, Mart! Once again I feel like I just learned tons. I was mistaking the gamboissed cuisses for extending all the way down the legs. And I see what you mean about the original piece vs the line drawing.

@Will, have you used this book for pattern-making personally? If you own it, I actually have a question or two that maybe you could shed some light on. I'm finding it to be super helpful. Thanks again for the recommendation.

see you space cowboy...
S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jul, 2015 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry for the double post, I just wanted to lay down an update. I got all my measurements taken to make my block, I patterned out my shirt and braies, and yesterday I ordered some muslin for pattern testing. It's happening!
see you space cowboy...
S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 2:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

General question for anyone wearing spaulders: how are you attaching them? Are you pointing them to your aketon/gambeson/arming doublet? Or lacing them to your maille?

I'm reading a study that discusses how no actual examples of spaulders survived, so there is no evidence of how they were actually attached. How accurate is this? I'm linking the article here.

http://www.arador.com/armour/development-of-t...-spaulder/

I'm assuming it wouldn't be too much trouble to go back and add arming points to the aketon/gambeson/arming doublet after it's constructed, to a certain degree, but I'm trying to plan ahead as much as possible.

Thanks all!

see you space cowboy...
Will S

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 3:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad its useful!

I've made a few things from Sarah's book - braies, hose, shirt and cottes but nothing martial. I got the book to help with civilian dress for a 14th/15th century English archer, which is very basic stuff compared to what you're working on!

An early doublet is my next project...gulp!
S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 3:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Will S wrote:
I'm glad its useful!

I've made a few things from Sarah's book - braies, hose, shirt and cottes but nothing martial. I got the book to help with civilian dress for a 14th/15th century English archer, which is very basic stuff compared to what you're working on!

An early doublet is my next project...gulp!

Okay for the braies, there aren't any measurements for the gussets or waist band section. How did you figure those out? And how did you elect to attach your hose to the braies? Just curious.

My muslin will be here tomorrow! Exciting times!

see you space cowboy...
Mart Shearer

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 3:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alright, 1330-1350, you have some options. First is to lace the plates through the mail. You can put the arming points on your aketon/doublet, but pulling the points through the mail after you put the mail on can be a PITA. Even moreso if your rings are average sized (9mm external diameter, around 6 mm internal diameter) or smaller. The mail is perfectly capable of holding the arming points in place, and it's easier to put the laces in before you put the haubergeon on.

A little early at 1323:
http://gallica.bnf.fr/ark:/12148/btv1b8451634m/f224.item

Attachment: 27.79 KB
BNF Latin 10483 fo111v.jpg
BNF Latin 10483 fo.111v

S. Andrew B.

PostPosted: Tue 21 Jul, 2015 4:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks again, Mart. I had that exact concern, of using the arming points through the maille. Sounds like lacing to the maille itself is the way to go. It also keeps an arming point/aiguillette from rubbing on the top of your shoulder. That doesn't sound comfortable.
see you space cowboy...

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Help Needed Making Historic Costume
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: