Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking armour -- other than mail Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Dominic Dellavalle

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 11:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've never dedicated much time to the study of Viking armor or some of the intricacies of how it was worn or with what. I do know that from personal experience I could really never see myself wearing any of my maille shirts without some form of padding on underneath. Generally I will wear a gambeson to provide some cushioning and also, quite honestly, absorb some of the sweat. It also certainly helps on the shoulders where the majority of the weight from a maille shirt is felt.

Whether or not some form of padding was worn I think will be difficult if not impossible to determine given biodegradable items such as this are scant. As many have already said we can only make assumptions.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Lets just imagine a draw cut with very little pressure with a very sharp weapon: This should be able to cut you to the bone, cripple you for life if you survive the fight and maybe cause you to bleed to death.

Even a casual cut during a mellee comming out of nowhere could put you out of action.

Add some sort of armour, fabric, leather or even better a maille shirt even if over only a light linen undershirt: All of the above wounds could be avoided.

At this level of protection swords would still be effective but only focused and power blows would be a significan hasard.

Jean you make an excellent point here and to further illustrate if I could I'm going to borrow a link from Alexi that he posted on the thread regarding the Brigadine armor question.

http://www.chivalrybookshelf.com/

If you select the catalog option on the left, scroll to the bottom and click "Armor from the Battle of Wisby" you will be taken to a page showing some of the pictures in the book. Granted this battle took place in the 14th century, but if you look at the picture in the first column, fourth down you will see a picture depicting a variety of wounds found on the skeletal remains of a soldier.

All of them appear on the arms and legs which lends to just how crucial some sort of protection is on all portions of the body. The fact that no wounds appear on the torso or head lends me to think they were at least armored to some degree. That image there also give a good pretense for the advent of full armor in the next century and why designs moved towards encompassing the entire body. It's all well and good not to take a sword through the chest, but if you bleed to death from wounds on your arms and legs what difference does it make?

Just my rambling thoughts as I try to diligantly to avoid the paperwork on my desk here Happy

Dominic
Tim Plourd

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 6:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems, as Jean suggested, that some here look at armor as a device that would protect absolutely against attack. We know that this is not the view for many people in Europe. Fiori, Liechtenauer, Caesar, Strabo and many others all directly discuss the idea that not getting hit is paramount in fighting of all types. Jean is absolutely correct here.

Also, many here are asserting that it is just common sense that you would wear as much armor as possible in battle and therefore some sort of padding MUST have been worn under maille. Absolutes like that are always dangerous statements to make. We also know, dispositively, that many European people went into battle with no armor at all, indeed without clothing at all.

It is important to remember that some cultures view things like honor to be more important than their own lives.

Dominic just mentioned that he could not see fighting in his maille without some padding underneath it, I can't see ever fighting with said padding. I think you would have gotten this same response in 7th C. Norway ... albeit in a different language. Happy

Joe, having been a police officer as well ... they used to make us watch a video called "Surviving Edged Weapons", I forget the producer now but if you are curious about slashing attacks of the type you described this program is a very good indicator of what it takes. An issue though is that this is one type of attack that might not have been so common to our 7th C. Nordic Viking.

Thank you very much Joe Yurgil and Elling Polden for contributing. We are talking about your culture here, (albeit ancient culture) if I read your posts correctly. Being of American Indian ancestry I am often assailed by educated "experts" on my own culture, my opinion there is somewhat mixed and I still strive to not be like that as I become an educated "expert". Wink

--Tim

Honi soit qui mal y pense
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 7:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim;

"Surviving edged weapons" Oh, I remember watching this one a couple of times, a friend of mine bought it when we took a stress fire course with Massad Ayoub in 1989.

Very sobering, about the ease and scope of damage a sharp blade can produce: This is why the first priority is cut protection, blunt trauma is only a worry when hit by heavy blows but a feather like slice WILL kill you!

As to the cultural, tactical or evolution of the amount of "padding" worn under armour I don't think we should argue about it as an all or nothing proposition as this could have been very variable and priority to protection versus agility would be given different weight even today.

The heavier padding may be related to the kind of weapons faced: Against Turkish or Mongol horse archers the arrow absorbing qualities of heavily padded maille, under or over or both would have influenced warriors views about the subject firstly during the first few crusades.

Obviously, I don't think anyone would normally wear maille directly over the skin without at least some sort of minimal clothing even if only a heavy shirt.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Plourd wrote:
It seems, as Jean suggested, that some here look at armor as a device that would protect absolutely against attack. We know that this is not the view for many people in Europe. Fiori, Liechtenauer, Caesar, Strabo and many others all directly discuss the idea that not getting hit is paramount in fighting of all types. Jean is absolutely correct here.

--Tim

Indeed in some cultures, much "unnecessary" armour was worn. During the 14th century many knightly effigies wore gambeson, maille, and coat of arms, supplemented with metal protection for the limbs. this was common place with the knightly class. Since the argument here concerns Viking period, I cannot take this any further than to say that protection was valued even during the highly chivalric, look-how-brave-I-am knightly period. It appears that the amount of armour worn depended on the wealth of the individual. So the ones that appeared with no armour on the field were likely to be the poorest rather than the bravest. Again this is 14th century and this is war and not duels that I am referring to.

Now the fact that avoiding blows is important no one will contend. But receiving blows was a common place during organized battles. These was a period quotation (I cannot remember from which book, but I think it was cited by J. Verbruggen in The art of warfare in Western Europe) where the father scolds his child for not fighting bravely enough since the child's armour had no signs of received blows.

And again, Liechtenauer (which I try to study) is more geared towards the one-on-one duel as opposed to warfare battle. When we discuss the use of armour we want to put it in the proper context. Tim has emphasized the on-on-one battles where the advantages of armour might be more tangential, but in war I have little doubt that the importance of any kind of armour was paramount.

Alexi
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 8:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi;

Oh, I may have strayed from the original period specific discussion about Viking use or non use of Gambison type protection to a more general discussion of the pro and cons of the amount of padding needed or desirable.

With the story of the Father scolding his child for coming back with unblemished armour: The Father is assuming the reason being a lack of courage or agressivity shown by his son! But lets say that instead the Father had seen the battle and his son had shown such incredible skill that no enemy had been able to come close to him and survive.

Now in a case like this would the Father still see the lack of damage to the armour as a blemish to the family honor?

Which is the more skillful warrior: The old veteran of many campaigns covered with scars or his equaly proven compagnion in arms without a scratch? ( At least if we discount dumb luck. )

By the way I appreciate your arguments about the 14th century preference of using more rather than less protection and I don't think that we are having ( All of us!) a disagreement as much as we are looking at different aspects of the issue.
And maybe we all enjoy splitting hairs a bit too much.

I hope you are also enjoying the back and forth of the discussion.

Tim Plourd

PostPosted: Tue 15 Feb, 2005 10:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Indeed in some cultures, much "unnecessary" armour was worn. During the 14th century many knightly effigies wore gambeson, maille, and coat of arms, supplemented with metal protection for the limbs. this was common place with the knightly class. Since the argument here concerns Viking period, I cannot take this any further than to say that protection was valued even during the highly chivalric, look-how-brave-I-am knightly period. It appears that the amount of armour worn depended on the wealth of the individual. So the ones that appeared with no armour on the field were likely to be the poorest rather than the bravest. Again this is 14th century and this is war and not duels that I am referring to.
Alexi

I would argue that the point you are missing here, Alexi, is that the 14th C was a different time and for most of Europe, different cultures than 7th C. Norway or Denmark etc. Fighting styles had changed, what was perceived to be idyllic had changed, warfare had changed and styles of fighting in said warfare had changed. Possibly the last stand of Nordic style individualistic warfare was on the Hastings in 1066, the Saxons had changed but they hadn't changed enough.

I would not call the armor styles of the 14th C. unnecessary. If you told me that I was going to have to take part in a mounted, lance style charge against other mounted warriors (or otherwise) I am 14th C. or latter bound. additionally this style of armor is a very clear indicator of station, wich means ransom, wich means I get to have a whole completely different style of protection afforded to my because of this very armor, quite necessary if you ask me.

An important point here is that there weren't a whole lot of people being ransomed at Lindisfaren, good armor or no. Also in the 14th C. there weren't allot of nobility harkening to a more earthy attachment to their troops. The story of Edward of Woodstocks charge at Poitiers is not synomyous with the stories of Nordic Kings fighting duels to maintain their thrones, on the warfield. Warfare had turned to more of a group effort in the 14th C not unlike Rome in earlier eras. It is no accident that both culture, separated by a great amount of time, seek similar ideologies in armor design.

I share Jean's thought and hope that you are enjoying this conversation as well.

--Tim

Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In my experience, relying on mobility to aviod geting hit is viable in a duel, but only as long as your opponent is unarmoured as well.
Countrary to popular belief, a unarmored fighter will have hard time indeed avoiding an heavily armoured foe. Sure, he can turn and run like hell, but short of that, his mobility advantage just isn't big enough.
This is especialy true because the armoured fighter can rely on his armour to stop most counterattacks, and thus can be much more agressive than the guy dodging for his life.

In a field battle, in scandinavia as well as elsewhere, most armies organized in formations. Individual mobility is thus severly limited (as it should, it keeps people from running away...)
The standard loadout of the viking warrior where shield, spear and sword. The spear is the primary weapon for field battles, the sword for personal combat.
Ever been at the front row of a rock/metal/boyband concert? Imagine that, only you're holding a shield and spear, and your facing a bunch of guys throwing rocks and stabbing towards your face with pointy sticks, from all directions...
Then ask yourself wether or not you want armour.
The answer should be "yes..."

exactly what you wear, is of course up to you. If you can aford it, you wear maile. Now, to keep things simple, the norse called all kinds of metal armour Maile (brynje). But I cannot remeber seeing sources for anything but chain maile, or, for the eastern Rus (the swedish vikings that went east instead of West (where the REAL men go... Wink ), Lamelar.
The Coat of Plates emerged later. An early form is mentioned in the Kings Mirror, in the mid 13th century...

Yours
Elling
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
In my experience, relying on mobility to aviod geting hit is viable in a duel, but only as long as your opponent is unarmoured as well.
Countrary to popular belief, a unarmored fighter will have hard time indeed avoiding an heavily armoured foe. Sure, he can turn and run like hell, but short of that, his mobility advantage just isn't big enough.
This is especialy true because the armoured fighter can rely on his armour to stop most counterattacks, and thus can be much more agressive than the guy dodging for his life.

In a field battle, in scandinavia as well as elsewhere, most armies organized in formations. Individual mobility is thus severly limited (as it should, it keeps people from running away...)
The standard loadout of the viking warrior where shield, spear and sword. The spear is the primary weapon for field battles, the sword for personal combat.
Ever been at the front row of a rock/metal/boyband concert? Imagine that, only you're holding a shield and spear, and your facing a bunch of guys throwing rocks and stabbing towards your face with pointy sticks, from all directions...
Then ask yourself wether or not you want armour.
The answer should be "yes..."

exactly what you wear, is of course up to you. If you can aford it, you wear maile. Now, to keep things simple, the norse called all kinds of metal armour Maile (brynje). But I cannot remeber seeing sources for anything but chain maile, or, for the eastern Rus (the swedish vikings that went east instead of West (where the REAL men go... Wink ), Lamelar.
The Coat of Plates emerged later. An early form is mentioned in the Kings Mirror, in the mid 13th century...

Yours
Elling

My point eactly. Thank you Elling!

Tim, I did not miss the point that I am talking about different day and time in European History. The reason why I keep harping about later centuries is because we have records of what people wore in terms of defence.

Elling made the GREAT point that virtually in all ages warfare was fought in group formations and not individual duels.
The one-on-one duels of champions and kings in front of their armies are not examples of mass battles, but of individual combats to avoid mass battles and resolve the problem with fewer blood spilled.

Jean, I cannot comment on your questions above. I assume that if the kid was so good that no blow ever reached him the father ought to be proud. I am, however, very sceptical that such level of ability (to avoid being hit even a single time in multiple battles where you are in the thick of the fight) can or could have ever existed. It is not easy to control what is happening 360degrees around you.

I used this parable of the father and son to illustrate that the common wisdom was " if you are in a battle you will take few hits".

Forensic archeology does reveal that at least some of the skeletons found in the mass grave of towton had previous wounds that healed. The wounds that I recall were on the skull or jaw. This shows that even people that survived a battle (just to die in another one) took few hits.

I will let the re-enactors explain the probability of being in a melee and not getting hit. That is not even mentioning the volleys of projectiles.

Alexi
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 8:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling;

Oh, having as much armour as possible and practical does give you a great advantage, and I can see a lightly armed and armored fighter being in emormous trouble facing a better armoured foe if just running out of range is made impossible for any reason including being in the front line of a compact melee.

Also the heavily armoured warrior can just press his attack in spite of anything the lightly armed one tries to do: Just force the engagement. ( Like tanks against infantry without any anti tank weapons! )

As to armour versus mobility it's just a question of degree and definition also: Not just being light on your feet but how unrestricted are your arms to use your weapons.

A small group of heavily armoured knights can fight against large numbers of lightly armed with ease and be almost unstopable, at least until exaustion sets in.

So, overall I do agree with using as much armour as possible is a good thing when getting out of the way is not an option, as in your example of the press of large formations, the job of the armour is to make you as hard to stop as possible.

Oh, if the press is TOO extreme the armour won't help you then: As in my example earlier of giving a "free" 30 seconds of total immobility on the part of the heavily armoured warrior as a gift to the lightly armed warrior to use his dagger through his visor. ( Well in an extreme case like this being lightly armoured won't help you much either and extra armour might give you a small advantage IF you can disengage from this extreme press and get the elbow room to use your weapons effectively again. )

Oh, I hope I am not coming across as being argumentative here, as I respect your imput here and "practical" experience.

Actually, I am slowly putting together my own armour of maille and full plate and will see how it feels when I put everything on at the same time. For a Gambison I want the support to make the armour stay put and not shift around like it does when I just use a loose fitting sweater underneat as a stopgap measure: But I don't want an extreme amount of padding as Plate over a full size Hauberk ( Sort of transitional armour look. ) should give very good protection even with moderate padding.

I am not putting this together for any "sport" style fighting but trying to duplicate what armour I would wear if I had a time machine and had to face real battles. In the same way all my high end weapons are sharps. ( So the whole thing is for the fun of having real armour and real weapons. If I did want to participate in some sort of real training or sparring I would need a second kit adapted to that activity. )

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi;

Point taken and accepted: The odds of taking NO hits on your armour in a battle are low to nil and would be due more to luck than skill. I was just giving an extreme example to make the point that getting hit is not a vertue in itself and major hits that you can avoid you would avoid most of the time.

Actually that is the point of armour: Protecting you from all those unavoidable random hits that could cripple you for life or kill you. The mobility thing come in when you do see a powerfull blow coming at you and do your best to avoid it.

O.K. the armour lets you sort of ignore and accept all those minor nics and scrapes and concentrate on the big stuff: Like the hammer of that Pollaxe rapidly approching your face.

So armour IS GOOD to have: No argument there .......... LOL.

Tim Plourd

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Tim, I did not miss the point that I am talking about different day and time in European History. The reason why I keep harping about later centuries is because we have records of what people wore in terms of defence.

Elling made the GREAT point that virtually in all ages warfare was fought in group formations and not individual duels.
The one-on-one duels of champions and kings in front of their armies are not examples of mass battles, but of individual combats to avoid mass battles and resolve the problem with fewer blood spilled. Alexi

This is flatly incorrect. Again, Caeser, Strabo, etc make note of the fact that Celtic warfare lacked organized positions in just the way you are talking about. In fact, it is the reason Roman tactics of this sort developed. Early Greek Hoplites only held formations during critical moments and there is no indication that said Greeks held to any formation such as phalanx after initial engagement.

Let me point out to Alexi and Elling both that if the press of battle was akin to the boy band rush at Stanford bridge, then how is it remotely possible that one Nordic warrior held the bridge? Why would Hadrada's commanders (of any kind) allow ANYONE to break formation, let alone how would it be even remotely possible that one person was left in the breach if the press of battle was how you both are suggesting? And yet, if recorded history is to be believed, it did happen. Yes, the bridge is narrow, yes they had to come at that one man a few at a time ... a few is still more than one and he held the bridge without any armor on. If the press was in place the situation would have never developed because some one would have been shoved into the empty holes.

An example from the 14th C. Alexi, is the French at Poitiers. The tradition of individual combat is why the French Chivalry charged off on their own, something like seven miles away from the battle, with the only formation being held by the Genoese crossbowmen, who said Chiv. latter ran down. The whole point for the French here was to engage an English Knight and kill or capture an individual and ransom them.

These examples are not one on one duels fought on the field to save anyone anything. They are fractured warfare based on the ideas of individual glory. It is hard to find your servants in Valhalla if you have no idea who you have killed.

Recorded history does not bear your opinions out.

--Tim

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Plourd wrote:

This is flatly incorrect. Again, Caeser, Strabo, etc make note of the fact that Celtic warfare lacked organized positions in just the way you are talking about. In fact, it is the reason Roman tactics of this sort developed. Early Greek Hoplites only held formations during critical moments and there is no indication that said Greeks held to any formation such as phalanx after initial engagement.

Successfull warfare DID depend on organization. As soon as the "barbaric" tribes figured out that what an organized cavalry charge can do, they kept implementing it. This brought down the success of the Roman legions: a different use of group tactics. The "barbarians used this with success in 4th c AD and onward. If I may recommend the book by J. Verbruggen "the Art of warfare in Western Europe". It is considered a seminal work with much improvements on Oman and Delbruck. Also read infantry warfare in the 14th c. by deVries

Quote:

An example from the 14th C. Alexi, is the French at Poitiers. The tradition of individual combat is why the French Chivalry charged off on their own, something like seven miles away from the battle, with the only formation being held by the Genoese crossbowmen, who said Chiv. latter ran down. The whole point for the French here was to engage an English Knight and kill or capture an individual and ransom them.

The french at Poitiers much like Cresy were too pompous. They tried an organized attack with their cavalry and miserably failed due to the successfull defensive formation of the English. This has little if anything to do with individual combat. One of the points is that cavalry charges work if done as an organized unit. Once this unit breaks (which is what the English tried to do by digging holes on the field and by using their archers), it's charge is easy to withstand by the WELL organized defence line. The reason that the french engaged in individual combat is at least two fold: 1) The english prepped the field and used their archer to break the charge. and 2) the French were too pompous and expected an easy victory so they acted somewhat carelessly.

Quote:

Recorded history does not bear your opinions out.

--Tim

I beg to differ. Read the aforementioned books. For that matter I should read some of the books that support your opinions.

Alexi
Chris Post

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: "Form ranks, you maggots! Form ranks!"         Reply with quote

Quote:
The reason that the french engaged in individual combat is at least two fold: 1) The english prepped the field and used their archer to break the charge. and 2) the French were too pompous and expected an easy victory so they acted somewhat carelessly.

I read the following concerning the Battle of Crécy:
The English victory was not primarily won by tactical finesse and supremacy of the archer.
Actually, it had rained a lot and the field was very muddy and slippery -- bad for the charging horses. Moreover, a fully armoured knight, once dismounted, is a sitting duck on muddy ground.
Besides, your second point also played a large role: the French knights were trying to capture English nobles, in order to cash in ransom money later. So, each knight tried to be first, and the formation advantage was forfeit.

I can't quite recall where I read this; I think it was on the ARMA website.

Of course the archers did their part as well. By the way, any idea how strong the typical English longbow actually was at that time?

Skeppsmannens härsmakt räddes ej väta:
blodulvar vadade väst över Panta:
fram över flodens glimmande vatten
buro de lindesköldar i land.
Tim Plourd

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 12:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

An important point here Alexi, is that I am NOT saying that organized warfare is not better for large groups engagements, in fact, I am saying that it is. What I am saying is not all (in fact maybe not even the average) European group(s) engaged in that kind of warfare as their primary means of making war. I have read some of the books you mentioned, I had to as part of my under-graduate work.

The fact remains,however, that the cultural context of a 7thC. Nordic Viking is NOT of the large scale organized variety, if anything it is the loosely organized Greek type and more probably akin to the Celtic paradighm. The battle of Stanford Bridge (as a close to the "viking" era) proves that. There are many other acounts of this kind.

What did Valhalla mean to the Nordic culture of this time?

--Tim

Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: "Form ranks, you maggots! Form ranks!"         Reply with quote

Chris Post wrote:

I read the following concerning the Battle of Crécy:
The English victory was not primarily won by tactical finesse and supremacy of the archer.
Actually, it had rained a lot and the field was very muddy and slippery -- bad for the charging horses. Moreover, a fully armoured knight, once dismounted, is a sitting duck on muddy ground.
Besides, your second point also played a large role: the French knights were trying to capture English nobles, in order to cash in ransom money later. So, each knight tried to be first, and the formation advantage was forfeit.

I can't quite recall where I read this; I think it was on the ARMA website.

Of course the archers did their part as well. By the way, any idea how strong the typical English longbow actually was at that time?

The reason why the english won is more complex than the two reasons I mentioned. The rain is a factor as the English Longbowmen hid their bowstrings and kept them dry where as the genoise crossbowmen could not do that so their efficiency was decreased. I also imagine that the cavalry charge in the muddy terrain peppered with holes would not have been very easy, let the arrow volleys aside.

The English got to the battlefield first and got to chose the stronger ground and prepare the field. They also got a rest before the marching French came and immediately attacked.

There was also the "slight" case of mis-positioning of the forces so the Genoise crossbowmen were within the range of the English archers without realizing it and got a nasty surprize by the thousands of arrows that reached them. Once the Genoise mercenary crossbowmen started retrieving the french king ordered their slaughter as traitors and cowards, thus eliminating one of his strategic superiorities (the presence of the genoise to provide protection for the charging knights).

These are only few of the factors that played role. To credit the english, they won also because they maintained order and acted cautiously and prudently. Of course all other factors weighted in greatly.

"The Weapons that made Britain: the Longbow" talks a great deal about Crecy and they even shows the battlefield which has not changed much the last few hundred years.

Alexi

Last edited by Alexi Goranov on Wed 16 Feb, 2005 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 4:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One small point: It's Stamford Bridge, not Sta*n*ford Bridge.

I really wish we had more information on that particular battle. (And Fulford as well) Since it occurs at the tail end of one of my favorite periods, and immediately precedes one of my other faves, it's always been of particular interest to me

Great discussion guys!

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very interesting but I think we are drifting away from the subject of armour and what if anything was worn underneat during different periods or culture, also the individual combat advantages and disadvantages of more or less armour etc....

Anyway, I just say this because the very interesting discussion(s) about battle tactic deserve a whole bunch of new subject threads and maybe a whole new forum on battles, tactics: individual, small groups skirmishes and major battles.

So it might be a good idea to to create a new topic from the last few responses?

Oh, and again it is impressive how we can have these productive discussions even when views and opinons diverge considerably and keep it civil and respectful. ( And I learn much from the views I disagree with as I try to find good rebutals and sometimes actually change my mind about things. )

Tim Plourd

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 7:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Patrick, yada thunk that after seven years of my time and 130,000 dollars of my money they'd a lert me how to spell. Wink

--Tim

Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 16 Feb, 2005 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tim Plourd wrote:
Thanks Patrick, yada thunk that after seven years of my time and 130,000 dollars of my money they'd a lert me how to spell. Wink

--Tim

Nah. They just wanted your money. Razz

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Jun, 2005 2:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just to answer the 'other than mail' part of the topic title. Norsemen served as Varangian guardsmen in the Byzantine Empire and set up colonies and treded with Russian. Both the Byzantines and Russians used lamellar armour. It is possible that the Norse used lamellar armour in addition to mail and possibly padded armour.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Viking armour -- other than mail
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: