Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL replica from wallace Collection - Background? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Thomas Laible

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 13 Feb, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: New MRL replica from wallace Collection - Background?         Reply with quote

Hi,
I've just seen this new MRL at their website.
This is the description:
GERMAN BASTARD SWORD

This sword is a replica of number A477 from the famed Wallace Collection. Like many German swords it is primarily a cutting sword, with a wide blade that has a flattened oval cross section that gives very little resistance in a cutting blow. It is also a perfect example of a true hand-and-half or bastard sword. The proportions of the sword are that of a one handed sword, but with a slightly longer grip and a pommel shape that will allow two hands
to be used by gripping both. The grip is wood covered in cord and leather. The long quillon has a decorative finial on the end and the side rings provide good hand protection. Antiqued steel parts to match the original. Well tempered high carbon steel blade by Windlass Steelcrafts®. Scabbard with antiqued parts included. #500792

Overall-38 3/4" * Blade-30" x 2 1/8" x 3/16" * Wt.-3 lb. 10 oz.

Can anybody tell me more abot the original in the Wallace collection? I've never seen it before.
Thomas

Attachment: 19.69 KB
0500792_l.jpg

Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

First Hanwei, now MRL! They're testing the market for "antiqued" steel! The quotes suggest my skepticism about these finishes, which, at least in Hanwei's case, seem to be painted-on.

I actually like the looks of this weapon overall, but hate the finish of the hilt. I'm currently headed back the other direction, toward pristine, polished finishes. Ironically, this is the result of trying, and failing, to antique a stainless MRL hilt. I polished it up to a fine satin finish and liked the results so well that I'm seriously considering restoring/polishing all the pieces in my collection.

It's great to see MRL still creating pieces at least loosely based on specific, documented weapons.

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Fri 11 Mar, 2005 10:52 am; edited 1 time in total
Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean -
do you know more abot the original sword?

Thomas
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas,
Someone supplied info in these two posts on SFI:

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47532

http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=47660

Here's the gist of the response from Charles G.:

Quote:
"A477 SWORD (Bastard or Hand-and-Half)
The HILT of blued steel; pear shaped POMMEL, straight QUILLONS, round in section, ending in pear shaped knobs, with a spiral or roped collar: SIDE-RING on either side. The grip is shouldered, bound with cord and covered with leather. The broad, two-edged BLADE has a shallow hollow running three quarters of its length. The maker's mark is a bell within a shield, inlaid in copper on both faces 5.5" from hilt.
L. 37 5/8"; W. 2 1/8"; Wt. 4 lbs 8 oz.
German (about 1510)
De Beaumont Catalogue, No. 68.
Provenance: Comte de Niewerkerke
A sword with a like mark is in the Hermitage, Leningrad (Lenz, 1908, B 398)"

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 9:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas Laible wrote:
Sean - do you know more abot the original sword?

I do now! Big Grin

Thanks, Chad!

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Thomas Laible

PostPosted: Mon 14 Feb, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

yeah, thanks Chad.
I've already ssen it myself Cool
Thomas
Travis C.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 28 Mar, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: any reviews on this mrl german bastard sword?         Reply with quote

I have no background info but was wondering if anyone has a review on this sword they would like to share because I have been thinking about getting this sword from MRL. Hopefully my question is not too off-topic - I could not find any other forum on this sword. Travis
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got one of these from Kult of Athena for around $179. I'm impressed. The hilt is a bit loose, but I'll fix that as part of a general upgrade. The finish is much more attractive than I expected--it's not an opaque, painted-on finish but an actual bluing of the steel that resembles the finish of Wallace Collection #A477.

The size and weight are surprising. It's a massive weapon, but is 11oz lighter than #A477. POB is similar to that of A&A's German Bastard Sword (3" vs. 3.5"), although this piece, like A477, is a good 8" or 9" inches shorter than the A&A GBS. Note that there's only a 1oz difference between the weight of A477 and the A&A GBS, in spite of the latter's much greater OA length. Interesting.

In single-hand use this sword is more agile than the stats suggest, but with two hands it's just scary. That thick, broad and very stiff blade of lenticular section feels like it would deliver an extremely powerful blow. Look closely at this and A477 and you'll notice some differences in the hilt and blade, but the piece seems to be faithful to the type and era in terms of proportions and finish. I'll offer much greater detail in a formal review, but that's a distant speck on the horizon. Here's the thread in which I discuss A477. Tobias Capwell attached a photo of A477 in a post on page two: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...light=a477

Attachment: 67.88 KB
download.jpeg

Attachment: 82.99 KB
download-1.jpeg

-Sean

Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good grief - that's huge! Eek! Surprised

Somehow from the MRL images and those at Reliks.com I didn't expect it to be quite THAT big!

Maybe the wider blade gives rise to an optical illusion that makes the whole thing seem somehow shorter and smaller...? Again, this would seem to be a Windlass sword that is pretty impressive, given its price point. I await the full review with interest!

I live so close to the Wallace Collection - I really must make more time to actually go and look at this stuff; I haven't been in years! Worried Chad's review of the Collection on this site is very informative - and I fully agree with both his comments and those in Sean's account of his own visit there too! Big Grin

For anyone requiring a quick link to their website, it's here:
http://www.wallacecollection.org
David Martin

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is a beauty! The photo is excellent and just begs for a caption, e.g.,

"He had promised that he would never give anyone the axe, but all were struck speechless when Mr. Flynt announced that he was going to 'make a few cuts'."

"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Brian Ellis Cassity

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've seen this sword on a couple of websites (with the standard press photo), and have thought off and on about adding it to my list of swords I'd like to buy sometime in the future, but usually disregarded it because its look as shown in the press photo never really moved it beyond the cusp (for me). It's funny how often press photos don't do swords justice, and this one is a good example of that. It has now definitely moved higher on my list. The attempt at the antique finish, for one thing, isn't nearly as ugly as I'd figured it would be. My own attempts at antiquing it would probably be no better.

Brian
Brian Ellis Cassity

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did a bit of a search in the other links but didn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone know, of the top of the head, what the A477 is originally dated at? Fifteenth or sixteenth century?

Thanks!

Brian
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 11:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Ellis Cassity wrote:
I did a bit of a search in the other links but didn't find what I was looking for. Does anyone know, of the top of the head, what the A477 is originally dated at? Fifteenth or sixteenth century?

Thanks!

Brian

This is ca. 1510 (the date is hidden in parentheses in the stats above.

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian Ellis Cassity wrote:
The attempt at the antique finish, for one thing, isn't nearly as ugly as I'd figured it would be.
Brian

As usual, the Windlass catalog text is a problem. This isn't an antique finish. Rather, it's intentional blueing, just as on A477.
In fact, as you can tell from the photo Tobias Capwell attached in the other thread, A477 is in amazing condition, with original finish and leather and a bright blade with scattered staining. As for my repro--I'll be copying the grip of the original and knocking down the mirror finish of the the blade.

-Sean

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Tue 29 May, 2007 7:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Martin wrote:
struck speechless

Laughing Out Loud

I should start wearing a Maximillian harness to work. "Full Plate Friday".

-Sean

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New MRL replica from wallace Collection - Background?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic