Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Partisan/Leading Staff from A&A Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Last

Reading list: 8 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Custom Partisan/Leading Staff from A&A         Reply with quote

Hello all-

A while ago (in this thread) I sought info regarding a leading staff as a badge of office for a late 16th Century Leftenant. All of your help made me realize to do this right I would need a custom made piece. I talked it over with several makers and found my price range and skill level needed with Craig Johnson of Arms and Armor.

The piece I wanted used as inspiration was one gleaned form different searches on this site:

Craig did a great job recreating that piece. You'll have to excuse my meager photography skills.

The original doesn't seem to have langets, but for my use I wanted them so Craig made up some separate from the piece itself as was done sometimes in period.

Markham says that the Leftenant's partisan should be gilded, so to tie in my position with the Bristol Trayn'd Bandes, I asked that Craig etch on the Bristol crest to the blade:

I have some jewel tone blue velvet and red and yellow fringe to tie in the Bristol colors for when I complete the hafting. Thanks to one of my guys, I also have a nice 6 foot section of round ash to use.

All in all I am very pleased with the results of Craig's work. The more and more I work Arms and Armor, the more I enjoy my transactions. Thank you Craig!

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
http://www.gsmbristol.org
Jeremy V. Krause

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 7:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Congratulations Chris,

That looks cool. Don't take this the wrong way because I do not intend to be derogatory at all but I find myself having a strange reaction when I look at this design because it almost looks fantasy-like- the fact that the design is not fantasy at all is very interesting. Would type of weapon have been used in combat or was it more of a symbol of the office, or both?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Allen Andrews

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like it. I would love to see it once it is mounted as well.
" I would not snare even an orc with a falsehood. "

Faramir son of Denethor

Words to live by. (Yes, I know he's not a real person)
Chris Last

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 8:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

No offence taken in the slightest!

The weapon served a dual role, as a badge of office and as a weapon for combat. Some of the later examples I've seen (English Civil War and later) have so much decorative pierce work that I wonder how effective they would be in combat, but polearms that were also badges of station were used. Some period martial arts treatises also have instruction on how to fight with a partisan or halberd.

" Hang fires are all fun and games untill someone gets their eye poked out... by charging calvary." - J.Shoemaker

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is AWESOME, Chris! I'm glad to see more and more people commission polearms, especially the more beautiful types like this!
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Chris Last

PostPosted: Fri 25 May, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Bill! It'll probably come with me to WMAW in Racine this year. If we can find time, I'll bemroe than happy to show it to you in person!

Chris Last
GSM-Bristol

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Custom Partisan/Leading Staff from A&A
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic