Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Noman axe? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Timothy Paq

PostPosted: Sun 27 Feb, 2005 3:51 pm    Post subject: Noman axe?         Reply with quote

hello, this is my fist post, and let me start by thanking you for providing this forum.
I have just purchased a bearded axe with unknown history.
This axe was purchased by a history teacher who collects old weapons. The teacher got it from a fisherman in Normandy who found it, cleaned the rust off, sharpened it, placed a new handle on it, and used it to chop the heads off od his catch.
the axe head is of a bearded style, 4-5 pounds, 6.5" long eye, with a 4.5" cutting edge, and is made of iron.

thanx for any info you may have. It may be 20th century, or may be older, i have no idea.
[/img]

"FOLLOW ME"
David C

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello, I have been a member for awhile but have never posted. I am also a member or armourarchive.com and spend most of my time there. I was just browsing around here today and saw your post on the axe. I am sorry,I have no information on it but just a comment. I wanted to say that it is an axe I have been very interested in for a long time and the story of it's origin was quit interesting, This is a very fine looking bearded axe, you are fortunate in my opinion to have been able to acquire it. You can get repro's from all over and some very nice but to have the story and origin behind it like this is a plus for sure. Do you mind me asking what you payed for it? anyway take care and hope to speak to you and all here often.
David

Life goes on
Timothy Paq

PostPosted: Mon 28 Feb, 2005 2:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David C wrote:
Hello, I have been a member for awhile but have never posted. I am also a member or armourarchive.com and spend most of my time there. I was just browsing around here today and saw your post on the axe. I am sorry,I have no information on it but just a comment. I wanted to say that it is an axe I have been very interested in for a long time and the story of it's origin was quit interesting, This is a very fine looking bearded axe, you are fortunate in my opinion to have been able to acquire it. You can get repro's from all over and some very nice but to have the story and origin behind it like this is a plus for sure. Do you mind me asking what you payed for it? anyway take care and hope to speak to you and all here often.
David

i payed under 100.00. I know the history teacher who owned it payed almost 200.00.
even if it is a recent reproduction, i still like it.
hopefuklly someone will be able to shed some light on this fine axe.

"FOLLOW ME"
Timothy Paq

PostPosted: Tue 01 Mar, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

anyone have any ideas as to possible age, or has anyone seen any repros that looked like this axe?
"FOLLOW ME"
Allen W

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That long eye/socket brings to mind images from a number of 16th cent. woodcuts. I can't think of any specific ones at the moment but that roughly dates the style to me.
Timothy Paq

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

the long eye is what puzzles me. would the extra strength and protection be used for a wood choppoing axe? Ive been searching all over the internet, and cant find another bearded axe with the long eye like this.
the search continues.

"FOLLOW ME"
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although less sexy than an axe intended to be a weapon a lot of types of specialysed axes were used in squaring of lumber and ship building.

Axes have always been used as tools and then put into service as weapons when needed.

Although a great Danish axe with a thin edge was probably rarely used to cut down trees.

I have an old axe with a very large head that is completely flat on one side and was certainly used for woodworking of some kind.

So researching old traditional carpentry tools might show you axes of the same design as you have.

Oh, I'm not an expert on this, but I am just pointing in a different direction to research.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Timothy Paq

PostPosted: Wed 02 Mar, 2005 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Although less sexy than an axe intended to be a weapon a lot of types of specialysed axes were used in squaring of lumber and ship building.

Axes have always been used as tools and then put into service as weapons when needed.

Although a great Danish axe with a thin edge was probably rarely used to cut down trees.

I have an old axe with a very large head that is completely flat on one side and was certainly used for woodworking of some kind.

So researching old traditional carpentry tools might show you axes of the same design as you have.

Oh, I'm not an expert on this, but I am just pointing in a different direction to research.

I
Today i received my new axe in the mail. Upon closer examination, it appears the back side was used for hammering, and you can see how it has flattened the iron. There are marks on both sides of the blade but the markings are illegible.
one of the marks begins with a P OR R, but that is about all i can tell. The bottom of the eye is cracked/split. the top of the axe is worn through on top of the eye. hope these pics might solve the mystery.
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=1zw0o5
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=1zw0lg
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=1zw0he
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=1zw0mx
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=1zw0nm
http://tinypic.com/view.html?pic=1zw0t2

"FOLLOW ME"
Michael Mercier

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Fri 04 Mar, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a similar axe although without the handle. I asked an "expert" on axes and he told me that mine could be an Austrian clog makers axe or possibly a small Turkish balta (battle axe). I would definately say yours is a tool and not primarily a weapon, do not rule out the "clog makers" axe or possibly a barrel makers axe. In reality, an axe is an axe no matter how you look at it, and even though the design might be aimed at one trade, it can be used for anything. Even though mine is atleast 200 years old, I used it for 2 years chopping firewood and just put it into retirement last fall.

Mike

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Noman axe?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic