Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on MRL's Towton? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next 
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: It's HERE (finally...)         Reply with quote

Well, after a bit of a delay through Customs it finally arrived - and surprisingly enough it's, erm, a sword (!). Razz

The sword was well packaged and undamaged - so full marks to 888KnivesRUs for their efforts. I need to clean it up a bit and give it a good going over but my first impressions are:

(1) - the darn thing is SO much smaller and lighter than I imagined (clearly I've learned nothing about swords in the last month...! ) Big Grin As Sean has pointed out elsewhere, I'm also a little surpried (in a naieve, novice sort of way!) just how flexible the blade actually is. We'll see in due course whether or not it's TOO whippy. When static, the blade balances at about 3.5" from the centre of the cross.

(2) - the sword itself appears to be pretty cleanly done - I'm no expert but the fuller appears to be nicely centred and doesn't seem to suffer from undue waviness; the cross is clean and well centred; the pommel (as discussed above) appears to be threaded and peened and the whole hilt assembly seems pretty solid (at least at the moment). The stitching on the leather of the grip is a little chunky but I can live with it for now. The size of the grip seems pretty good for me, the primary section between the cross and the riser could have done with being just a tiny but longer (I do have pretty big hands) but the long pommel is very comfortable and just the right size for my left hand! I might shuffle the placement of the riser back a bit if I ever get around to doing a re-grip.

(3) - the scabbard is OK, with a reasonable chape and a well fitting locket at the throat that fits the shape of the cross pretty well and is also a reasonably neat fit for the proximal blade. Distally, however, the scabbard is way too loose and clearly suffers from being a standard scabbard for several of Windlass' models. The glossy black finish will be removed just as soon I can get around to it and the scabbard treated to some leather oil. On the whole, it's not bad though - and reading everything that's been posted about Windlass I'm not all that disappointed - it is pretty much what I had been led to expect! Wink

Overall then, I was anticipating a weapon that was pretty good but one that was still very much in the budget category - and I *think* that's what I've got. Whilst I've not met these swords in the flesh, I have no doubt that my Towton is not an Albion Sempach nor is it a Gus Trim bastard but then it's definitely somewhat more than just a wallhanger and it cost me rather less than half the price of either of those - so I'm not complaining! As a place to start, and working within an extremely tight budget, I think it'll do me quite nicely, thank you very much!

At least I no longer feel like a complete fraud here! Eek! Laughing Out Loud
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Towton is reasonably close to the physical dimensions of the type that it seeks to model. The weight is also close to correct. For a stainless steel sword it would be hard to do better, if you are interested in a blunt sword that looks and feels like a late 15th Century Western European product.
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stainless...?! Eek!

I know it's not the best steel in the world (!), but I didn't think they were stainless!! Surprised
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 7:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't even thought about stripping the Windlass laquer coat yet (though I will, and soon...) but I have de-glossed the grip with methyl alcohol and rubbed in some nubuck waxed leather feed for a nice, grippy matt finish. Wink

As you may be able to see from the attached pic, I got a little carried away with stripping back the leather scabbard however...
Fortunately, I actually quite like the rather faded and antiqued look I've managed to achieve (!). Laughing Out Loud

I'll try to do some better pictures later.

Attachment: 58.04 KB
My Towton 1.jpg

Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
The Towton is reasonably close to the physical dimensions of the type that it seeks to model. The weight is also close to correct. For a stainless steel sword it would be hard to do better, if you are interested in a blunt sword that looks and feels like a late 15th Century Western European product.

Stainless steel? What components of the MRL Towton are stainless? I thought that blade, cross and pommel are all carbon steel?
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:
Steve Fabert wrote:

Stainless steel? What components of the MRL Towton are stainless? I thought that blade, cross and pommel are all carbon steel?

Perhaps I am mistaken. As I recall the description of the Towton at 888KnivesRus, it was said to have a stainless blade when I bought one a few months ago. Either they have since changed the description, or they have changed the design of the sword, or I hallucinated it.
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Grisetti wrote:

The half dozen places I checked (including the place of purchase), it is advertised as "well tempered high carbon steel". Some call it "battle ready", and at least one offers sharpening.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 8:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just been for a quick look:

Windlass Steelcrafts'
The Towton

Blade Length: 36
Overall Length: 44
Blade Material: High Carbon 1065/1095
Weight: 2 lbs. 12 oz.

Now, I'm sure it's nowhere near the quality of the steel and forging found in some of the products at the higher end of the market but that sure doesn't sound like stainless to me! Wink
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I bought my Towton last year I was suspicious of the polished surface of the blade, which seemed abnormally shiny. So I checked back to the web page that I ordered it from, and I am sure it said then that it was in fact a stainless blade. That same web page now clearly states that the Towton as it is now sold has a high carbon blade. I have no reason to doubt that the current production run of the Towton has a carbon steel blade. But I still suspect that my own example does not, since it is much more polished than any of my carbon steel swords. Since I can't claim to recognize steel alloys by eye, I can't provide a definitive answer.
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That sounds fair enough! Big Grin

Steve, I know you said you'd attacked your Towton with steel wool so you're aware of the Windlass laquer coating and that can't be the cause of the abnormally shiny surface.

I have no real idea how to tell the difference definitively between high carbon and stainless steel either (short of leaving it in the back yard and waiting fot it to rust...!) but this seems to be one nicely flexible blade.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruce Wilson wrote:
That sounds fair enough! Big Grin

Steve, I know you said you'd attacked your Towton with steel wool so you're aware of the Windlass laquer coating and that can't be the cause of the abnormally shiny surface.

I have no real idea how to tell the difference definitively between high carbon and stainless steel either (short of leaving it in the back yard and waiting fot it to rust...!) but this seems to be one nicely flexible blade.

I can't imagine why MRL would feel a need to coat a stainless blade with lacquer.
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am referring to the sheen on the blade after I had it stripped, rather than before. Obviously it's not made of the same stuff as kitchen flatware, but it seems to have more than a hint of chromium somewhere in the mix to give it such a shine. Since I bought mine for display only, I did not perceive the choice of a more durable alloy as a real drawback.

We tend to think of all production swords as being identical items run off an assembly line. In fact there are variations and a lot of modifications from one sword to another, even when there has been no intentional design change. I would not be amazed if the Towton design began life with one choice of blade stock, and is now being made with some other grade of steel altogether. As long as you receive a product that meets the description given when you ordered it, no harm done.
Steve Grisetti

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
...Since I bought mine for display only, I did not perceive the choice of a more durable alloy as a real drawback....As long as you receive a product that meets the description given when you ordered it, no harm done.

Yes - the key points are always to buy what meets your needs, and make sure you get what you paid for.
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

I would not be amazed if the Towton design began life with one choice of blade stock, and is now being made with some other grade of steel altogether. As long as you receive a product that meets the description given when you ordered it, no harm done.

Yes, I agree. You got what you were looking for at the time and I'm pretty happy with mine - so it's all good! Big Grin
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 1:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great review of the Towton, Bruce. There's no question that Windlass swords are not in the same leaque with Albions or Atrims, but they are cheap, fun, and functional pieces. I've now done some rather extensive cutting with my Windlass "Drac" sword, and have had no complaints. I have finally decided to break down and by an Atrim, however. Laughing Out Loud In a few weeks, I will be making a deposit on one of Gus' 1211 models. WooHoo! Laughing Out Loud
As far as the Towton being stainless steel: nope. Most of their stuff is 1095 carbon steel. Windlass does tend to polish the heck out of their blades, giving them that "too shiny" look, they are not, however, stainless steel. If the Towton was listed as having a stainless blade, it was a mistake on the part of the vendor. Many online knife sellers make various mistakes in their descriptions of swords. The whole reason Windlass/MRL sells theur swords/daggers with a clear laquer finish on the metal parts is so that they will not rust during shipping/storage before being sold. Happy
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 26 Mar, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt and others have found that hilt components on MRL swords are sometimes stainless steel. Hanwei does this too on some products. You can still advertise the item as "all-steel" construction that way. Happy

The Towton may have stainless hilt components. I've never heard of Windlass/MRL using stainless for their blades, though.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jeanry Chandler

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: MRL swords sharp? What kind of steel?         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:

Are the MRL swords available sharp? I'm interested in their river steldt viking as a sharp, but not particularly for a blunt. I think for blunts the paul chen / hanwei practical line are fine... I own the practical viking sword and have put it through hell for about a year, it's still intact though with a few dings and a couple of rust spots now, and I like it a lot. I also already have a blunt longsword. I'd like to get some relatively inexpensive sharps next.

Jeanry

"A strong people do not ned a strong leader."

Emiliano Zapata
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

MRL will sharpen their swords for a small fee. One thing to keep in mind is that the sword will not be eligible for their return policy if it's been sharpened. Considering MRL's erratic quality control you may want to try sharpening the sword yourself after you receive it, once you've made sure that it's acceptable to you.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 9:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks like many of our Towton questions have been answered! Laughing Out Loud Check out Chad's new review of the Towton. Well done, Chad. Now I kinda wish I'd gone ahead and bought one. Mad D'oh! Laughing Out Loud
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 12:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Never mind, Scott - there's plaenty of time after you've paid for the atrim...! Laughing Out Loud

Thanks to Chad for the the review and the pics - it pretty much covers everything I was thinking about this sword and then some. There's been talk about the Towton in several places on the net so it's good to finally see an "official" review of it by a "sword site". Big Grin

I'll let you all knowhow I get on with mine after I've done some training with it next weekend...
The second coming of Fiore? Somehow I doubt it - I guess I'll be all fingers and thumbs (and probably two left feet too...) Eek! Wink

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on MRL's Towton?
Page 2 of 4 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: