Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard selection for new sword Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject: Scabbard selection for new sword         Reply with quote

I recently ordered an Angus Trim 1518hp and haven't made a final decision on the scabbard.

The choices are a basic leather scabbard or a wooden core/leather covered scabbard. The price difference is $100.00.

What are the benefits of a wooden core scabbard over a leather one?
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Scabbard selection for new sword         Reply with quote

Chris Lampe wrote:
I recently ordered an Angus Trim 1518hp and haven't made a final decision on the scabbard.

The choices are a basic leather scabbard or a wooden core/leather covered scabbard. The price difference is $100.00.

What are the benefits of a wooden core scabbard over a leather one?

The wooden-core scabbards offer much better protective qualities (rigid protection) and are more historically accurate. Wooden scabbards are also less detrimental to your blade during prolonged storage. Leather retains moisture and corrodes the blade rather quickly. Of course, the higher the quality of the scabbard, the higher the price. You have to ask your self what is the purpose of the scabbard you wish to purchase, and how period accurate do you need it to be.

Alexi
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Scabbard selection for new sword         Reply with quote

I would ask first that you share what you're trying to do with your sword and from what perspective you approach the collecting hobby. If you're going for true historical accuracy, for example, you'd consider the timeframe for the sword and then match the scabbard accordingly. This would define not only the type of scabbard materials, but the method in which it's susspended from your body. If you're more interested in a means of protecting your blade when you're not using it, then your needs for a scabbard are significantly different. Likewise, if you're looking for a scabbard that will simply enhance the display of your sword, your needs area, once again, quite different.

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Leather retains moisture and corrodes the blade rather quickly.

I don't agree with this point. My experience with well-made leather scabbards that use a proper material (oak tan vs. chrome tan, as one example), is that they provide just as much protection from moisture and corrosion than any other scabbard.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2005 5:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

The scabbard will be used mainly for protection during transport and around the house. I don't plan to wear the sword as part of an outfit and historical accuracy isn't a consideration at this time.

I'm mainly after a good quality, functional sword that I can eventually work up to cutting with. The only reason I might choose wood would be if there is a significant difference in protection of the blade.

edit: I forgot to add that the scabbard will be made by Gus and his crew when the blade is finished so I assume the quality will be pretty good.
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2005 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Scabbard selection for new sword         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:

Alexi Goranov wrote:
Leather retains moisture and corrodes the blade rather quickly.

I don't agree with this point. My experience with well-made leather scabbards that use a proper material (oak tan vs. chrome tan, as one example), is that they provide just as much protection from moisture and corrosion than any other scabbard.

good to know.

Alexi
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 07 Mar, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably a wash if you care forthe blade and don't plan on storing for extended period in the scabbard. I've had wood and leather, no problems with either. I like wood cored more because they tend to be of higher quality craftsmanship, but that does not have to be a rule.

Fow wearing just amke sure you don't sit on the wod scabbard. While durable, I've heard that they can be more easily damaged by a a good sitting that the all leather option.

Please remember this is just my opinion, conjecture, and heresay.

Take it for what its worth. Wink

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Brent Rattan

PostPosted: Tue 08 Mar, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have a leather scabbard from Gus and his crew that I ordered with my AT1421 and I was pleasantly surprised with how nice it was for the money. In my opinion I think that it would serve your purposes well. When I bought the sword I fully intended on having a wooden core scabbard made for it, but liked the leather one so much that I pretty much forgot about that idea.

Now, if I ever seriously considered carrying the AT1421 with a historically accurate costume I would probably have an appropriate period scabbard made, but I bought the sword for what I believe are the same reasons you are buying your ATrim and cant see ever doing that.

Also, I agree with Nathan about leather scabbards and the protection they offer. I have a cutlass and a dagger that were stored for several years in their leather scabbards with no problems at all.

Good luck with the new sword Chris!

P.S. I edited my post because after posting it I went over to the ASA Swordworks site and looked at their scabbard offerings. I did not relize they were now offering wooden core scabbards. I stand by my comments above, but want to also point out that $175 seems like quite a bargain for a wooden core scabbard and I imagine that as with all Atrim work the quality is very good. If I had been given the option when I purchased mine I probably would have gone the wooden core route. However, I still like the leather one I have.

D B

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Scabbard selection for new sword
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic