Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dagger/Dirk Help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Dagger/Dirk Help         Reply with quote

I'm trying to find photos, drawings and/or stats for an English or Scottish dagger or dirk of the period 1550-1650. It features a simple, unadorned Ballock or Dudgeon-like hilt, a broad double-edged blade of flattened diamond section and an overall length of 13"-19". As far as I know, this weapon exists only in my dreams, but I'd love to see anything similar y'all might dredge up. I've seen a few pieces around this site that are close but not quite on the mark.

Ready...set...GO!

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 1:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is a quick Photoshop sketch of what I have in mind. I have a source for the blade and the skill to make this piece, but I'd like to design and work with reference to an original. I think my basic design is historically plausible, but I'm open to your suggestions,comments and references to originals.

Attachment: 10.41 KB
dudgeon.jpg

-Sean

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Tue 22 Mar, 2005 2:22 pm; edited 4 times in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the first one in this photo too complex for what you're imagining?

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nate C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm liking the second fron the bottom! Very cool Cool . Gotta love a dagger with a longer ricasso.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 2:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's not so much the complexity of that ballock dagger as the proportions I dislike. The last three dudgeon images from that Scottish Dirks article, combined in a single weapon, come closer to what I'm thinking of:

As you can see, the middle one is pretty close to my sketch, only with a single-edged blade.

-Sean

Kirk Lee Spencer

Spotlight topics: 6

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Sean...

This is the closest I have...

ks

Two swords
Lit in Eden’s flame
One of iron and one of ink
To place within a bloody hand
One of God or one of man
Our souls to one of
Two eternities
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
This is a quick Photoshop sketch of what I have in mind. I have a source for the blade and the skill to make this piece, but I'd like to design and work with reference to an original. I think my basic design is historically plausible, but I'm open to your suggestions,comments and references to originals.

Sean,

I've been after a good Ballock dagger for some time now and your design is very much to my liking. I'm eager to see what you come up with.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This CAS Iberia dirk reminds me a bit of what you are looking for...

Constant and true.
Jay Barron

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Del Tin also has a couple ballock daggers. Again, they're not exactly what you're looking for.

Attachment: 9.34 KB
[ Download ]

Constant and true.
Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jay Barron wrote:
This CAS Iberia dirk reminds me a bit of what you are looking for...

Just acquired one of these from Nathan Bell a week or so ago. It is only a single edge blade. Not a bad dirk to say the least, not exactly what i am looking for to fill that niche either. My favorite so far has been Chad Arnow's VE Ballock Dagger, but again not double edged.

Wish i could be more help, but i am really looking forward to seeing what you come up with Sean. As of late i have been letting the idea of getting a Ballock dagger as my first custom piece roll around in my head... and it isn't rolling away. Sounds like we have about the same thing in mind: Something with simple elegance and clean lines yet with double edge authority.

Looking forward to what this thread brings up for picture references as well, in case the "perfect" thing shows up.

Beer is God's way of saying He wants Us to be Happy. - Ben Franklin
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 22 Mar, 2005 8:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt, you're looking for a double-edged Scottish dirk / ballock dirk replica? Can you point me to some antiques that interest you for comparison?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not sure if something like that ever existed... Was hoping that people here would be able to point one out to me actually. When it comes to historically accuracy, i am really not a very well informed person. Slowly learning but still don't have much knowledge at all. My main interest has always been Fantasy pieces, however since joining this site, I have learned much and hope to learn more. Sometimes historical stuff can be pretty fantastic ir you know what i mean.

I guess it is not that i have seen a ballock dagger that was like that, it is just that i made an uneducated decision on what i thought would be visually pleasing to me.

I mean if you look back even Sean was looking for a Double edged blade.

Sean Flynt
Quote:
I'm trying to find photos, drawings and/or stats for an English or Scottish dagger or dirk of the period 1550-1650. It features a simple, unadorned Ballock or Dudgeon-like hilt, a broad double-edged blade of flattened diamond section...

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 5:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From 'The Scottish Dirk', by James D. Forman. Mac

Attachment: 118.51 KB
ballocks 2.JPG

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From 'Scottish Weapons & Fortifications 1100-1800' by David H. Caldwell . Mac

Attachment: 76.76 KB
ballocks 3.jpg

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is great stuff!

Some clarification: The reason I want to see an original with a DE blade is because I can get such a blade very cheaply. DE blades also happen to coincide with my main period of interest.

Problems: As far as I can tell, once the dudgeon dagger was supplanted by the dirk, long SE blades predominated. Also, the typical late ballock or dudgeon dagger with DE blade had a very slim profile, whereas the blade I intend to work with is relatively broad--like the distal quarter of an Oakeshott Type XVIII sword blade. Here are the stats:
8" blade (seems right for a dudgeon dagger)
13 7/8" overall (can be shortened, but also seems right for a dudgeon dagger)
1 1/2" wide at guard (significantly wider than any historic examples I've seen and more like the width of later SE dirks.
1/8" thick (because most of the DE dagger blades I'm seeing are narrow, they seem to have much thicker cross-sections.

Matt will be interested to know that the ($13) blade I'm considering has a 12" twin (approx. 19" overall). That would be a great size for a fantasy DE dirk. Heck, that's almost a hanger. That blade is only $15. Check Atlanta cutlery.

This may be my Spring project. If so, I'll be sure to post my results.

An interesting note: My great-great-grandfather made his own dirk/pig sticker from a thin, flat sheet of iron and two wooden scales, and this piece is still in my family. It's not clear whether this was his fighting knife (doubtful, since he ended the Civil War in a prison camp) or strictly for killing hogs. It's strictly a crude stabbing weapon, with a broad blade tapering to a point. The grip swells at both ends and it doesn't take much imagination to see it as a descendent of the ballock/dudgeon/dirk. It's around 10" overall, if I remember correctly.

-Sean

Last edited by Sean Flynt on Wed 23 Mar, 2005 6:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 6:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I've been after a good Ballock dagger for some time now and your design is very much to my liking. I'm eager to see what you come up with.

Me too! While I admire the traditional, late highland dirk, it's out of my main period of interest and is just a bit too fancy for my tastes. Ditto for the late medieval ballock daggers, which also look a bit frail and mishapen, with their sharply tapered grips and pronounced ballocks. I want a robust all-business dagger with the look of something made by the local smith rather than a master cutler. My project may very well turn out to be a fantasy piece "inspired by daggers and dirks of 1550-1650". I can live with that.

-Sean

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey, Matt...here's something you might like. The 16th c. Irish warrior at the far right is showing off a skean with what appears to be a long, narrow, DE blade of diamond section. I may be misreading the image, though, and it seems that most skeans were SE. Anyway, a skean hilt would be even simpler to make than a dudgeon or dirk hilt. As far as I've been able to determine, these hilts were more-or-less just cylindrical. At 1.75" at the guard, the AC blade is much broader than the one shown here, but it might be a good compromise between fantasy and history. It would certainly be a formidable weapon, anyway.

Attachment: 45.67 KB
5gallo.jpg

-Sean

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matt G. Meekma wrote:
Not sure if something like that ever existed...

Ah. I was just curious if you had a specific antique in mind.

Sean Flynt

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I've just ordered two of the 8" blades. Why two? Why not? At only $12 each, it seemed a shame to waste the shipping on a single blade. Plus, if the first one goes well I might try another as a presentation piece. I'm still looking around for design details, but I think I'll probably go ahead with the general form of my sketch. Thanks, folks!
-Sean

Matt G. Meekma

PostPosted: Wed 23 Mar, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Matt G. Meekma wrote:
Not sure if something like that ever existed...

Ah. I was just curious if you had a specific antique in mind.

No I don't Nathan, That is why I am so interested in this Thread. With all the wonderful pictures that everyone is posting i can get more ideas or even find one that is "Just Right".

Right now I just have an "picture" in my mind of what I think I am looking for / interested in. The PhotoShop image that Sean made is Really close to what I was looking for as well. Would prefer something with a slight bit more taper in the grip to give it a little bit more pronounced ballock area (that just sounds bad...) and a more ?"funnel"? shaped pommel.

First thought on a broad DE blade is that it would seem more utilitarian in function as well as slightly sturdier as a small back-up weapon.

Sean Flynt
Quote:
My project may very well turn out to be a fantasy piece "inspired by daggers and dirks of 1550-1650". I can live with that.

That is about the same boat that I am sailing in too. Also the Stats for your project seem to match my thoughts as well. Never have been a fan of the overly large knife/dagger.

When the blades arrive Sean could you please post some pics of them before you start your project and give us your impressions of them as compared to what the catalog pictures made you think about them. Never have been a real do-it-yourself guy but there is a first time for everything. Might be something to get me started.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dagger/Dirk Help
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: