myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Albion scabbard... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

Here are pictoral instructions for doing that sword belt. The cord I used doesn't really behave like leather, but isn't too bad, and the plastic sword grip (in the proccess of being replaced), is a bit too thick. Still, I think you shoud be able to follow these well enough.

-Grey

Attachment: 62.8 KB
[ Download ]

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 7:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grey-

Thanks for the book reference. I, too, have found the same thing. Some either want the fundamentals, or actually are children. One of my favorite things to do is bring this to the public - children / adolescents in particular. In fact, at this time, I am fairly deep into planning a Non-Profit primarily to bring elements of the medieval to schools and functions. These references would, indeed, be useful to me. If you have further recommendations, could you let me know, please? Also, if you (or anyone else) is aware of good reference material for scabbards in general, I would be much appreicative.

Also, I appreciate the belt knot pictorial. I was beginning to piece it together...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 1:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Grey!!!!!! I never expected a reply so quickly! Now I can get it right!

Man, those people at albion know how to tie some weird knots!

Thank you very very much!!

-Michael F. Big Grin

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael,

Glad I could help. I actually took the pictures the evening after I typed up the explaination for you, but thanks to the wonders of technology (cough), I had trouble posting them the first time I tried. Otherwise, you would have had them a day sooner.

Aaron,

The World of the Medieval Knight (the one I used above), is probably the single best book that I have for children or those with little/no background knowledge. I also use Arms and Armour of the Medieval Knight by David Edge and John Miles Paddock quite a bit, but that is largely for pictures with my own comentary (the text in that one can leave some people, especially youngsters, behind). One of the really nice things about that Edge and Paddock's book is that is goes chronologically (each chapter covers a century from 11th to 16th). Almost all other books go topically. Unless the captions include a date (which Gravett is good about), it is really easy for people, especially the younger ones, to lose sight of the fact that armour changed from one period to the next. Some people are shocked to learn that full plate armour was not in use during the crusades, but they seem to catch on when you explain that the book is arranged "like a time line" (I guess "chronologically" isn't a vocabulary word any more), and then they see you flipping from one end to the next to find examples of whatever they are asking about.

I also like the "Eye Witness" series of books. They contain decent information, and photographs of artifacts or reproductions, as well as people in period costume. Medieval Life, Knights, and Castles might all be usefull titles.

I don't own any at the moment, but my impression of the Osprey "Men-at-Arms" books is good, and they can be used for audiences of almost any age.

Those are the ones that come to mind, I take a look at my bookshelf when I get off work (that's right, I own to many books to keep track of), and let you know if I think of any others.

-Grey

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 7:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
... I guess "chronologically" isn't a vocabulary word any more...

Unfortunately, Grey, I'm afraid that the classics such as "Once upon a time", "supercalafragilistic expidaliocious", and "twitterpated" are all but faded away as well. If it's not on the Cartoon Network or X-Box, it can't be real. Like a T-shirt I saw this past weekend said: "Wake me up 500 years ago."

Greyson Brown wrote:
... I don't own any at the moment, but my impression of the Osprey "Men-at-Arms" books is good, and they can be used for audiences of almost any age...

I do. Quite a few, in fact. In general, I like them - of course, some better than others. The photos are really pretty good, and the illustrations better. They give enough information to satisfy most people's levels of curiosity.

Greyson Brown wrote:
... Those are the ones that come to mind, I take a look at my bookshelf when I get off work (that's right, I own to many books to keep track of), and let you know if I think of any others.

That helps a lot, Grey! If those are the ones that really stick, they must've made a bigger impression. I'll have to check them out soon. If you do recall others that stand out, I would appreciate knowing. Oh, and I know about the books. I need to build a bookshelf. I know most of what I have by concept, but too many for titles. I've not purchased a book thinking I had it before, but haven't been so sure I didn't have it that I bought it twice.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Wed 06 Apr, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
I've not purchased a book thinking I had it before, but haven't been so sure I didn't have it that I bought it twice.

I just donated some duplicates to the library a few weeks ago. The worst part is that I don't even have all of my books here in order to double check. About half of my books are in my parents' basement, assuming my brother hasn't delved into them too deeply.

I did check the books that I have here, though, and the ones I mentioned were really the only worth while ones.

Always glad to help.

-Grey

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Albion scabbard...
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: