Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Most wicked and rutheless sword - The Viceroy? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Lance K.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you so much guys! I didn’t expect so many responses. Thanks for so many suggestions, now I’ve got some more choices to go on. lol

I’ve never held a real sword before, so it will be a first. I’m getting one for symbolic reasons, as I don’t do reenactments at all. Though I am on a bit of a quest, hence the symbolic meaning the sword has for me.

Also thanks for all the additional information, its is greatly appreciated.

Lance
Mark Moore

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hmmmmmmm.....Wicked and ruthless..........Howsabout ye wait a bit and see the Albion Chieftain, Laddie. Or better yet, wait to see their new two handers. I understand you already have a good bit o' long steel in yer armoury........but surprises await! mcm.
Lance K.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Moore wrote:
I understand you already have a good bit o' long steel in yer armoury.........

Actually this is my first sword, never even seen a real one before! lol

I always want the best, so Albion stuff is looking pretty tasty. I like the viceroy and Solingen, but you get alot more sword for the money with the Viceroy. Chieftan looks cool, but I have no patience! lol

Lance
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've got to mention the Albion Rouen (first gen hollowground hand and a half grip - hope I got the name spelled right). The Regent has a far more polished (refined) feel to it, but that FG was just creepy agile for as big a sword as it was.

Which is kind of why I'm interested in seeing the Kingmaker, the Next Gen evolution of the Orleans, the single hand cousin to the Rouen.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I’ve never held a real sword before, so it will be a first. I’m getting one for symbolic reasons, as I don’t do reenactments at all. Though I am on a bit of a quest, hence the symbolic meaning the sword has for me.

Hmmmmm.....a quest, you say? I don't know what the nature of your quest is, but you'll certainly be adequately armed. Laughing Out Loud Good luck. Happy
Lance K.

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"And now for something completely different..."

G. Scott H. wrote:
Hmmmmm.....a quest, you say? I don't know what the nature of your quest is, but you'll certainly be adequately armed. Laughing Out Loud Good luck. Happy

This is probably more suited to the off topic board but since you mention the quest I will repsond here...

The Quest is the quest for consciousness. Better know as the spiritual path. Consciousness is all there is. It creates everything in the universe as the underlying essence of all energy, which is the essence of matter, and as such when you learn to tap the essence of your own conscious awareness through meditation, you learn to tap the essential nature of the universe and beyond. Conscious Oneness with the the universe and the realms beyond is the experience of all enlightened masters. We have much to overcome in our minds however, for enlightenment comes only when we no longer hold our selves in opposition with ourselves. Which means we must overcome all dualities of the mind to find Truth and Oneness.

Here is one of my mystical writings that gives an idea of why the sword has symbolical meaning to me, though in truth it is the sword of no-sword that I weild.

I Am battle hardened and ready
The Fighter moves into action
Warrior of Light
Warrior of Truth
Let the siege begin
Let the dragon awaken
I Am the dragon slayer
But wait...

From these eyes
To slay the dragon, is to befriend the dragon
For indeed, it is a rose
You are not my enemy
I Am you, my friend
For I Light, and Light meets I
I Am the dragon
The Mage steps forth
I Am the Mage of Darkness
I Am the Mage of Light
One Mage
One Man
OM

OM is Brahman
Meditate upon Him
See Him in everyOne
He pervades All
Atman is Paramatman
Name-Form Illusion
That thou art
I Am Brahman

OMSHANTI
My friend

Find your deepest darkest hiding place. Your lowest, densest point of consciousness. Go there, for there lays the dragon of thy self. Wake him up. Head on, give him all your Love.

This is your seed. It resides in your base chakra. Your base nature. It is your base of Gold, unrefined.

Follow the dragon into the cave. The dragon is the keeper of The Gate. You hold the key to the base-mint. Though it is not a basement, it is a parallel.

Dive into the pool. Experience it, as it is. Love it, as it is. In Love is ascension. Raise the vibration of it by any means possible. Carry it up the mountain. Take it right up the spine.

The Heart is the Christ, the mediator. Love is the Christ, our mediator. Love is the mediator of our awareness. The Christ of I AM.

Each time you befriend another dragon in consciousness through Love, the dragon, no longer an opposed aspect, relinquishes control to you. That portion of the ego has been healed, leaving you with the new found energy of Uniting with that aspect of consciousness. Through Love, the mediator and Christ, the opposing polarity of opposition that once existed is mended and healed, allowing for the return to Unity consciousness.

We have scattered many seeds in Time. By returning to each Seed in Love, we allow for the healing required to Unify the awareness of each I AM with That I AM.

In the silence of the Now The Word Is. Silence speaks. Mind is Not. Being Is. Silence is Being. In the silence of Being is The Word. Let the Word of God Be Told.

Lance
Andy Bain

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I do like the XIII family, so I'll put votes in for the Duke and the Tritonia. Just got my Tritonia a few days ago and I'm impressed.
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 10:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
"And now for something completely different..."

An appropriate description. Happy
I'm not really into mysticism or spiritual matters, but, if I read that right, you're saying that the way to achieve enlightenment (oneness) is to search out the opposing aspects of your consciousness and to "slay" them by reconciling them with the rest of your consciousness through acceptance and love. In other words, it's sort of like facing your fears and dealing with them, rather than continuing to be afraid of them. So, the sword represents the "slaying" or reconciliation of the aspects of your consciousness that are holding you back. I assume then, that the reason you want the fiercest sword available, is so that you'll have the most powerful symbol of your beliefs as is possible.
Is this about right, or am I way off?
In any event, back to the original topic. Laughing Out Loud There are a number of swords that could fit your needs: the Albion you originally mentioned, the Atrim 1435, etc. I know that some people will say that the qualities that constitute the "wickedest" or most powerful sword are subjective, but, let's face it, it's hard to beat the hand-and-a-half or two-handed broadsword for shear power and impressiveness. Laughing Out Loud Happy
Lance K.

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
I assume then, that the reason you want the fiercest sword available, is so that you'll have the most powerful symbol of your beliefs as is possible. Is this about right, or am I way off?

That's exactly right, you nailed it. Plus I've always been drawn to the whole chivalry and quest for the holy grail thing, which is really a spiritual quest, hence the portrayal of the grail in visions such as in the movie Excalibur.

Plus it also represents the sword of truth, which is symbolical of cutting through the illusions of the mind, or maya as its called in eastern spirituality, to find the truth of oneness, or the conscious essence behind the dualities of the mind.

Its really amazing the states of consciousness you can obtain after you've become skilled at meditating, it never ceases to blow my mind. lol

Lance
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Its really amazing the states of consciousness you can obtain after you've become skilled at meditating, it never ceases to blow my mind. lol
Just think how you'll feel sitting there on the floor meditating, while holding the sword in your hands. Eek! Cool I hope you find the sword you're looking for. Don't hesitate if you have any other questions. That's why we're all here. Happy

Scott Happy
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If you want to think about nasty short swords, let me direct your attention to the ATrim MS2104, the short leaf (22 inch long blade) I have one of these llittle things, and I can't imagine anything better in a confined area. It's very light, strong, fast, both in cutting and thrusting.

For a big sword, I can't think of anything more ruthless than the A&A German bastard swrod

Attachment: 35.54 KB
MS2104sm.jpg
MS2104
Lloyd Clark

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a Duke and have cut with both it and a Tritonia from horseback (my little corner of the world) - both are powerful cutters (Eric, I am still not convinced my baby is horseback cutter though - we gotta experiment more) and I will admit that the "little" Tritonia is a beast, but not my cup of tea.

But, look at the Messrs if you want one bad cleaver. A Messr in the right hands is a pure destructive device (a medieval "Tac Nuke" as it were).

But all of the members have it right, the sword has to fit "you".

Cheers,

Cheers,

Lloyd Clark
2000 World Jousting Champion
2004 World Jousting Bronze Medalist
Swordmaster
Super Proud Husband and Father!
Lance K.

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 4:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
If you want to think about nasty short swords, let me direct your attention to the ATrim MS2104

Yeah those leafblade shortswords are pretty cool. If I got a second sword I'd probably get something like that. Its cheaper plus it would be fun to play around with.

I saw a Celtic short sword with a leafblade by Ritter Steel that was pretty cool. At only $150 it would make a nice toy. lol

Lance
Lance K.

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
Just think how you'll feel sitting there on the floor meditating, while holding the sword in your hands.

Oh I know I'm sure it will be powerful. I'm sure a good sword just emanates a presence.

I saw a cool picture the other day of a guy meditating with his sword, I was going to post it but I can't find it. Oh well...

Thanks again everybody for your suggestions. I can't stop looking at swords, I'm hooked! lol

Lance
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
I saw a cool picture the other day of a guy meditating with his sword, I was going to post it but I can't find it. Oh well...

Don't know if it's the one you were thinking of, but there's a good one on Jody's site at this link:

http://jodysamson.com/limited-edition-swords.htm

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Darwin Todd

PostPosted: Thu 31 Mar, 2005 7:51 pm    Post subject: I own one!         Reply with quote

I own a Viceroy, and I think that of all the other swords mentioned so far in this thread the Viceroy still the most intimidating. To look at one it has a particular combination of power and grace that make it stand out from the others. To hold it your hands and wield it only reenforce the perception. The Viceroy is very nimble for its weight.
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok the descision is in.... I ordered my Viceroy today! Whooohoo!

Albion certainly seems to have the best quality, and I'm all about refined quality, which is why I went with Albion. Can't wait to get it. hehehe

So how do you learn to weild a sword? Are there any books or anything I can get?

Thanks again for all your help!

Lance
Glen S. Ramsay

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lance Karsten wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:
If you want to think about nasty short swords, let me direct your attention to the ATrim MS2104

Yeah those leafblade shortswords are pretty cool.

Lance, an Atrim short leaf blade was transformed into an even more wicked little monster by John Lundemo of Odinblades, for David Stokes. Take a look at it in the following thread (the pictures really get rolling on page two):
http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s...adid=43928
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 11:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OMG what an awesome shortsword! Surprised Surprised Big Grin
Lance K.

PostPosted: Fri 01 Apr, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Glen S. Ramsay wrote:
an Atrim short leaf blade was transformed into an even more wicked little monster by John Lundemo of Odinblades, for David Stokes.

Any idea how much it would cost to have something like that done??

Lance

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Most wicked and rutheless sword - The Viceroy?
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: