Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Albion scabbard... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject: New Albion scabbard...         Reply with quote

Take a look at this new scabbard for Albion's Laird and Caithness: http://www.albion-swords.com/swords/albion/ne...abbard.htm

More great stuff fron Kevin Iseli.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. These are the best scabbards I've seen anywhere. I haven't ordered one to go with a NG sword yet, but I will certainly be ordering the authentic scabbard to go with my SoSM. These integral, woven belt-scabbards are works of art, and I'm eager to see the construction up close.

Brian M
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Patrick, for posting this link. It's always nice to have something new to drool over.

Brian M wrote:
Wow. These are the best scabbards I've seen anywhere. I haven't ordered one to go with a NG sword yet, but I will certainly be ordering the authentic scabbard to go with my SoSM. These integral, woven belt-scabbards are works of art, and I'm eager to see the construction up close.

Brian M

I have to agree - many people just don't give enough credit to the scabbard, seeing only the sword. The scabbard for the SoSM should prove to be a notch above, given what the construction of the first was. Given the attention to detail that the Albion crew has shown, the set - sword and scabbard - should really be something!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
John Burley

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome scabbard. I too agree that the sword is made so much more by the scabbard. And Albion has done it again. I can say first hand that their scabbards are incredible. I can't wait to have more done (in the que, in the que, in the que)!

Take care,

John Burley
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Burley wrote:
Awesome scabbard. I too agree that the sword is made so much more by the scabbard. And Albion has done it again. I can say first hand that their scabbards are incredible. I can't wait to have more done (in the que, in the que, in the que)!

Take care,

John Burley

I'm in line for two myself!

John Burley

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 6:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How much longer wait for you? I think I am something crazy like 10 months or so. Oh well, all in due time.

Cheers,

John
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

John Burley wrote:
How much longer wait for you? I think I am something crazy like 10 months or so. Oh well, all in due time.

Cheers,

John

I have no idea. Big Grin

One is for the Jarl which I placed soon after receiving the sword, however long that's been. The other one was placed back in October. Since Kevin's a one man operation on these things it won't happen overnight. Quality takes time, but the wait is agony!

David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 28 Mar, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've just ordered a Laird, and seeing it's matching scabbard, I know that I made the right choice !
The long delay is a benediction: 1 or 2 year for saving money after the purchase of the sword is definitely not too much Wink
David McElrea

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick wrote:
Quote:
...One is for the Jarl which I placed soon after receiving the sword...

I have been hoping someone would order a scabbard for the Jarl. Can't wait to see the finished product!

David
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David McElrea wrote:
Can't wait to see the finished product!

Me too!

Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 6:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! Beautiful scabbard! So it will fit either the Laird or the Caithnass? I love the design of the metal components. Albion is one of those rare makers that puts just as much beauty, detail, and quality in their scabbards as they do their swords.

A scabbard should do more than just be a place to stow the sword. It should also represent the status or prestige of the sword it holds and the person who owns it. -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I like the knot that he used on the loose ends of the strapping! I don't think that knot has been used on his others. I still want to see him do one of these 13th or early 14th century scabbards with that style of belt attachment, and what I think of (for lack of a better term) as a four-panel knot. I'm on a public computer at the moment, so I can't even use Paint to show you what I'm talking about, but, bassically, the two loose pieces of leather are woven together to form a knot that is square in shape, and tied in such a manner that that square is essentially divided into four (also square) parts. I'll try to get a picture of what I'm talking about in the next couple of days.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Michael P Smith

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just got word that Kevin is about to begin work on my Prince scabbard and belt. He sent his artist's conception drawing of his proposed design... and I think you guys will be impressed. I know I am!

It'll be murder waiting for it to be finished!

Mike
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those who might be interested in the knot I was trying to describe, here's an example.

-Grey

Attachment: 12.77 KB
knot.JPG

Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grey-

Where did you find that? I've been trying to find good source material on scabbards and belts - all periods.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 8:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
I like the knot that he used on the loose ends of the strapping! I don't think that knot has been used on his others. I still want to see him do one of these 13th or early 14th century scabbards with that style of belt attachment, and what I think of (for lack of a better term) as a four-panel knot.

I think I have a knot like that on my ArmArt's scabbard (made by Jesse Bailey). Click here for pics.

Is that what you're thinking of? I'll try to get better pics.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grey,
I think the knot on my scabbard is similar to the one you posted. It's close to square. Happy

Attachment: 36.33 KB
upload1.jpg

Attachment: 47.06 KB
upload2.jpg

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Michael F.

PostPosted: Sat 02 Apr, 2005 1:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HI everyone! Speaking of knots on albion scabbards I was wondering if anyone knew how to tie the knots shown on the campaign scabbards with optional belt. There's a few good pic of them on the regent custom scabbard.

Anyone who has bought a custom scabbard might know. Below is an example (on viceroy scabbard).

Thanks!
-MIchael F.
Happy

Attachment: 37.65 KB
viceroyscab3.jpg

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 4:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron,

The book is The World of the Medieval Knight by Christopher Gravet (might be 2 t's in 'Gravet'). It is actually a childrens book, but it contains a lot of good information that some of the adults I know are unaware of (probably nothing to to people here, but not everyone else takes as active and interest in this stuff). The real beauty of that book is that it shows exploded diagrams of armour. The page that that picture comes from shows and exploded view of a sword and a scabbard, so I use it all the time when someone has trouble understanding what a tang is or how the handle goes onto the sword, or things like that.

I like having a few children's/young adult's books around. A lot of people aren't interested enough to read something like Sword in the Age of Chivalry, but still want to learn a little bit, and pictures help an awful lot of people comprehend what you are talking about ('cause despite the way my high school math teachers taught, we don't all learn the same way).

Chad,

Yes, that is exactly what I was talking about! Somehow, I had either missed that thread or failed to remember the scabbard. Thanks for the pictures.

Michael,

I spent about 2 hours one day looking at every picture of those campaign scabbards while wrapping cord around a pen. I finally figured it out, and I'll try to talk you through it (instuctions given assuming that the sword/scabbard are held tip down):

Start with the belt laid accross the scabbard, buckle to the left. This will end up being the center wrap. The way that I would tie these involves wrapping the buckle end around the scabbard, so base your placement of the belt off of the tip (from here on out, 'tip' refers to the tip of the belt unless stated otherwise) end.

Wrap the belt behind the scabbard, bring the buckle over the top of the stationary (tip) side of the belt.

Continue wrapping the buckle end down and then behind the scabbard, the belt should lie next to, but below the first wrap.

Bring the belt around the front of the scabbard, keeping this wrap below the starting position of the belt (you should now have two bands of leather (center and bottom wraps) on both sides of the scabbard.

Wrap the buckle end, from the bottom up, behind the stationary portion of the belt, and accross the front of the scabbard (above the other two bands).

Wrap the belt around the back of the scabbard, and down accross the front of the belt as in the first wrap. This time, however, you also pass the buckle end of the belt under the central band crossing the scabbard. Now the buckle is tucked back up under the top and bottom bands, but over the middle one (you can probably go under all three or just one, but I think it will stay put better if you do it this way), and everything is pulled tight.

There is a side view of the Regent scabbard that might help you see som of this. Also, there is a back view of the lower attachment of the Viceroy scabbard. Because the Viceroy picture is of the lower attachment, it is upside down from what I described above, and you have to kind of imagine the buckle where the loose end just disappears in that picture.

Hope that tells you what you wanted to know. If you didn't follow that, I can try to make how-to pictures, but I make no promises about that happening in a timely fashion.

-Grey

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Mon 04 Apr, 2005 3:41 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael F.

PostPosted: Sun 03 Apr, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Grey! I was never any good at knots, I think I got the knot most of the way then It got very confusing. If you would take some pictures of the steps and show them to me it would be most helpful. Take your time though, No need to hurry. Thanks for taking the time to figure it out for my sake or your own! I could never be able to actually figure it out on my own! Your a genius! Big Grin

Thanks so much,
Michael F.

"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > New Albion scabbard...
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: