Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question for folks at Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Mon 04 Apr, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: Question for folks at Albion         Reply with quote

I just had a wild thought:

Could it be even remotely historically-accurate to mount the Ritter/Hospitaler blade as a Katzbalger?

I'm not asking you to produce one (you've already got a lot on your plate as-is), I'm simply wondering if the blade/hilt combination could correctly fit the time period?

Thanks in advance!
Jeremiah

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Question for folks at Albion         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
I just had a wild thought:

Could it be even remotely historically-accurate to mount the Ritter/Hospitaler blade as a Katzbalger?

I'm not asking you to produce one (you've already got a lot on your plate as-is), I'm simply wondering if the blade/hilt combination could correctly fit the time period?

Thanks in advance!
Jeremiah

I see your point. I think though that the blade is a bit too long for its type when mounted as a katzbalger. Katzbalgers come in a wide range of lengths, but the Ritter blade does not have the typical outline of those swords.
The thin point section and pounded point does come close to actual 16th C katzbalger blades. I would just prefer to have a blade that is shorter by some two-three inches and a tad wider. Perhap also a little less profile taper.
If you see the ritter/katzbalger combo as an example of anolder blade re-hilted, then there is nothing saiyng it is wrong. In that case I would like to have the edges sharpened a bit wavy to mimic some old battle damage restored.

Katzbalgers are on my whish list. It will take some time before we get there though. A few other swords in line first... Wink Happy
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: Question for folks at Albion         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

I see your point. I think though that the blade is a bit too long for its type when mounted as a katzbalger. Katzbalgers come in a wide range of lengths, but the Ritter blade does not have the typical outline of those swords.
The thin point section and pounded point does come close to actual 16th C katzbalger blades. I would just prefer to have a blade that is shorter by some two-three inches and a tad wider. Perhap also a little less profile taper.
If you see the ritter/katzbalger combo as an example of anolder blade re-hilted, then there is nothing saiyng it is wrong. In that case I would like to have the edges sharpened a bit wavy to mimic some old battle damage restored.

Katzbalgers are on my whish list. It will take some time before we get there though. A few other swords in line first... Wink Happy

Hi Peter,

Thanks for taking the time to respond to my post.

So, you're saying it's a little too long, slender, and tapered. Fair enough.

Katzbalger blades, at least those depicted in woodcuts and other art, look like XIIIb blades with either a single long fuller, or several short fullers. I thought the Ritter came very close to the former of the two.

Thanks again for your reply!

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 05 Apr, 2005 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Question for folks at Albion         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
...Katzbalger blades, at least those depicted in woodcuts and other art, look like XIIIb blades with either a single long fuller, or several short fullers. ...

Spot on!
(although even with mutliple fullers they can run for three quaters of the blade or more.)
Just make the Ritter taper a little less in width and have it a bit shorter and you would have a classic blade for the type.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question for folks at Albion
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic