Brother... that was just WRONG! WTF?!

I'll end up with this sword eventually... Eventually... Razz

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 3:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm trying to resusitate my bank account, not kill it off.

Lately, I catch myself asking this question right before I buy a new sword: "What difference does it make if the money is sitting in the bank account or hanging on the wall?" Wink -Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Anton de Vries wrote:
Well.....

Brother... that was just WRONG!

I agree. But I really like that picture!!

Edward Hitchens wrote:

Lately, I catch myself asking this question right before I buy a new sword: "What difference does it make if the money is sitting in the bank account or hanging on the wall?" -Ted

The answer to your question? At least in my case, Mortgage Payment.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:

I agree. But I really like that picture!!

Edward Hitchens wrote:

Lately, I catch myself asking this question right before I buy a new sword: "What difference does it make if the money is sitting in the bank account or hanging on the wall?" -Ted

The answer to your question? At least in my case, Mortgage Payment.

I do, too, Grey. As simple as the picture is, it's so, so enticing... but in my case, it would be Tax Evasion.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 5:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

And one more for the road....
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 4:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
And one more for the road....

You are a bad, bad boy! Laughing Out Loud
Nate C.

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'll chime in and gloat too Big Grin Big Grin . Actually, this was my first sword (although any stick was a sword in my youth I've been informed). It's really a little intimidating [my first thoughts were "wow, that's a big blade"]. Especially since I'm trying NOT to follow in your footsteps in re: the getting sliced thing. I've already tried cutting boxes with it and I must say it does a pretty nice job Eek! [I wish my form were better though, I guess it's time to practice Big Grin Big Grin]. The point slides through cardboard with hardly any resistance. I'd post pics but you've all been looking at them on albions site already, mine's Mercenary 1/500 Big Grin.

Cheers,

Nate C.

Sapere Aude
"If you are going to kill the man, at least give him a decent salute." - A. Blansitt

If they ever come up with a Swashbuckling School, I think one of the courses should be Laughing, then Jumping Off Something. --Jack Handy
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:

I also ordered the Squire Line version to use as a blunt, as sharps are too dangerous for the normal lessons.

Hi - do you have the Squire Line bastard yet as well as the Mercenary?

Obviously there will be build and finish differences between a Squire and a Next Gen but I was just wondering how these two very similar swords compare in terms of weight and handling.

Just curious! Big Grin
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Bruce Wilson wrote:

Obviously there will be build and finish differences between a Squire and a Next Gen but I was just wondering how these two very similar swords compare in terms of weight and handling.

Just curious! Big Grin

I haven't received my SL yet. Albion is still waiting for the furniture to arrive from the foundry I believe.
I share your curiosity and when I get my SL I will post some comments AND some side-by-side pictures, if I can.

I sure hope the SL's handling approaches the Mercenary's sweetness, which shouldn't be too much of a problem as it's basically the same sword AFAIK. I would guess the cob is a bit farther out, and the blade slightly heavier.
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 6:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like this type of sword, I'd dearly love to get them as a pair but the cash flow is not really gonna stretch to that at the moment!! Confused Blush Sad

Oh well. Maybe another year...
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:
I haven't received my SL yet. Albion is still waiting for the furniture to arrive from the foundry I believe.

I share your curiosity and when I get my SL I will post some comments AND some side-by-side pictures, if I can.

I spoke with Mike about this Monday, I believe, and yes, hilt components should be in from the foundry this week sometime. Yours should be pretty quick in coming - if I remember correctly, I was #6 in the backlog queue, and you were before me.

I'm in the same curious spot as Bruce is - dying to know how the "twins" get along with each other. I'm so tempted to order the Merc sometime soon. It's just, well... it's Cool !

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
It's just, well... it's Cool !

Yes, isn't it just?! The idea of having a matching (well, nearly!) "set" of sharp and blunt is pretty cool - especially if the handling is very similar. I love the aesthetics of this type of sword too and the combination of cut and thrust abilites.

Guess I'll have to make do with my Windlass Towton for now and hope that the limited run doesn't run out TOO soon!! Razz
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

I spoke with Mike about this Monday, I believe, and yes, hilt components should be in from the foundry this week sometime.

That's great news, thanks!
You'll probably get yours first as intercontinental USPS is slooooooooow (my Mercenary was in the mail for 13 days).
Bruce Wilson wrote:

The idea of having a matching (well, nearly!) "set" of sharp and blunt is pretty cool

Exactly my thought, and it's the reason I ordered them together.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Bruce Wilson wrote:
Yes, isn't it just?! The idea of having a matching (well, nearly!) "set" of sharp and blunt is pretty cool - especially if the handling is very similar. I love the aesthetics of this type of sword too and the combination of cut and thrust abilites.

If the two do handle fairly similarly, I fully intend to practice form with the SL and cut with the Next Gen. I'll proudly display both. Albion's done a neat thing with the SL - each of the 4 pieces has a Next Gen counterpart. The quality is excellent, per all the comments made from firsthand knowledge by folks here as well as Chad's review (which I take to speak highly of the SL in general). I could definitely settle for the SL Bastard or the Merc, and will have to do so for a little while anyway. Funny, though... Anton's review isn't going to impact my decision much. I'm already sold on the idea.

Bruce Wilson wrote:
Guess I'll have to make do with my Windlass Towton for now and hope that the limited run doesn't run out TOO soon!! Razz

Gee... you sound upset! Razz The Towton's respectable.

Albion will make a public statement when a particular sword is close to the end of it's series. They did so with the Vinland, Gotland, and Clontarf... They also do offer a payment plan option. I don't know much about it, but I do know that Mike is extremely helpful. I'm sure if you give him a call or shoot him an email, he could answer your questions or perhaps help work out a way that over time you can have one, the other, or both. Come to think of it, I probably should ask about this as well... that Svante is calling my name. (either that or I need to lay off pizza with the works? No... it's the Svante. Can't you hear it? Calling? My name?)

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Anton de Vries wrote:

You'll probably get yours first as intercontinental USPS is slooooooooow (my Mercenary was in the mail for 13 days).

Hopefully, you'll get yours before I do. Although shipping will take longer for you, I'll be gone for 17 days for work starting this upcoming Monday. Unless it ships today or tomorrow, I'll probably have to have Mike hold back on shipping it until right before I return home or have it shipped to an alternate address.

And yes, I already have someone willing to receive it and hold it for me. Razz I appreciate all the offers that would have been made to help me out in my crisis, though.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Bruce Wilson

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Gee... you sound upset! Razz The Towton's respectable.

Nah, not at all - I'm actually really pleased with it given the cost. It seems to flow nicely from posta to posta and from guard to attack. It even cuts pretty well in it's stock state too. I'm still tinkering with the grip and the scabbard; it was cheap enough that i don't mind playing with it! (It keeps me amused, anyway.) Big Grin

Quote:

Can't you hear it? Calling? My name?

Hmmmmm. There's a song in there somewhere...! Razz
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
The quality is excellent, per all the comments made from firsthand knowledge by folks here as well as Chad's review (which I take to speak highly of the SL in general).

I've handled two of the Squire Line swords, the Viking and the Great Sword. The quality is excellent for the price. At the most recent OH Roundtable, some folks wondered if the high quality of the SL would eat into NG sales.The finish isn't quite as high as the NG's, but is not as low as I expected for the price. If you're doing serious cutting (more than pool noodle whacking), the NG's should really show their superiority. For pool noodles, though, the sharpened SL sword cut well. It was fun cutting with the Baron and SL Great Sword back-to-back. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 13 Apr, 2005 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Gefeliciteerd!!         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
If you're doing serious cutting (more than pool noodle whacking), the NG's should really show their superiority. For pool noodles, though, the sharpened SL sword cut well. It was fun cutting with the Baron and SL Great Sword back-to-back. Happy

If I can actually catch up on all the topics and PMs, I'll head out to the hardware store. While there, I plan on looking for a suitable pipe core for some wet newspaper rolls. Peter Johnsson had discussed this elsewhere. I hope to locate something as I am very interested in putting the Knight through it's paces at higher level.

I can imagine the Baron and SL back to back was a lot of fun. As the time draws close, I am looking forward to hostimg my own R/T. Hopefully we'll end up with some interesting comparisons as well.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion Mercenary
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: