Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's Knight. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
For asking long, rambling, questions with no immediate answers?

For asking a question that taught me something and made me want to learn more.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:
For asking long, rambling, questions with no immediate answers?

For asking a question that taught me something and made me want to learn more.

Well, I have to say the more I look at it the more I realize I won't be able to die happy until I get a copy of the Santa Casilda sword made by someone. That thing is really growing on me in a bad way. It might be the fact that this quarter I have 2 classes with an expert in medieval spain and had one with her last quarter. I'm starting to love the mixing of styles you get to see in the Iberian peninsula during the Muslim conquest and the Reconquista.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
I'm starting to love the mixing of styles you get to see in the Iberian peninsula during the Muslim conquest and the Reconquista.

This is a very compelling component of my interest in the study of the sword as well. My particular attraction is to the influence of the Balkans and Polish/Turkish elements on the rest of European arms.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The sword of King Sancho IV has always been one of my favorites. My first custom piece was meant to be based on that sword. The maker took some creative liberties (which included putting the wrong blade on the sword) so the end product didn't look much like the Sancho, a nice sword to be sure but not close enough really. I intend to have a close recreation made some day.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:
I'm starting to love the mixing of styles you get to see in the Iberian peninsula during the Muslim conquest and the Reconquista.

This is a very compelling component of my interest in the study of the sword as well. My particular attraction is to the influence of the Balkans and Polish/Turkish elements on the rest of European arms.

Interesting indeed. I was actually looking at emphasizing in that region for my grad work. Now I'm confused as to whether I'll do Spain or stick with eastern europe.

I actually have a really great book for turkish weapons of an earlier date - all 15th century or earlier. It is called "Islamic Swords and Swordsmiths" and is sold out of the Topkapi museum in Istanbul. There are great pictures, mostly black and white, with fairly good documentation including lengths and weights. Unfortunately, the author neglected distal taper, CoP, and CoB. Still, it's a good resource. Maybe I'll post some of the more interesting saber type weapons. They have some beauties there.
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:

Actually this is a real passion of mine. I love the european weapons with muslim deoration that are found in this region during the period of the conquest and reconquista. The whole history and myth surrounding Rodrigo de Vivar, " El Cid", was a particular fascination of mine when I was younger.

Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Alina Boyden wrote:

Actually this is a real passion of mine. I love the european weapons with muslim deoration that are found in this region during the period of the conquest and reconquista. The whole history and myth surrounding Rodrigo de Vivar, " El Cid", was a particular fascination of mine when I was younger.

I have to say that it's intoxicating. Al-Andalus (Muslim Iberia) is seen as exotic and enchanting in all of the period literature. That the contemporaries found it fascinating is a real testament to the region. I've noticed the decoration of the swords too. When I saw the Sancho sword I immediately thought "reminds me of Islam." One of the reasons for that is there is even a partially corroded cartouche on the blade. The decoration really seems specific to that time and place and is uncharacteristic of most medieval swords. There was a time when I found it gaudy but now I'm starting to like the golden hilts and fancy motifs. Must be the estrogen...
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Must be the estrogen...

For me it was too much Charelton Heston on saturday afternoons.

"For God, Alfonso, and Spain!!!!!!!!!!"

Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick you might like The Lions of Al Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay, its fantasy but set basically parallel to the time of El Cid and basically follows that character amongst others, a little different plot but I really enjoyed it.

Looking at the section of type XIIs I looked up the Edward III great sword mentioned in regards to the sword pictured. Does that sword (the Edward) actually date with Edwards' Reign? I mean at 6'8" that thing is a monster!
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 7:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Speaking of type XII's would anyone else love to see a reproduction of the King Sancho IV sword that is on type XII spotlight page? I also really like the sword of Santa Casilda. Interesting name, Santa Casilda, or Saint Casilda, is a female saint who died in the 11th century. She was a muslim princess living in Toledo who fell in love with Christianity. Her father hated the religion and grew angry at her for helping out Christian prisoners. She escaped and died after being baptized by Benedictine monks. I'd love to know a little bit more about why the Spanish attribute a sword to her. I know that she is often invoked during times of war but it's still strange. Also interesting is the short 30 inch blade and small proportions. I wonder if that has something to do with it.

Hi Alina!

Do you have any photographs or drawings of this sword? Where is it kept now?

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 8:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gabriel Stevens wrote:
Patrick you might like The Lions of Al Rassan by Guy Gavriel Kay, its fantasy but set basically parallel to the time of El Cid and basically follows that character amongst others, a little different plot but I really enjoyed it.

Thanks Gabriel! I'll check into it.

David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Patrick for your review of this excellent sword, and for your very interesting article about the type XII.
I've already bought the Squire Line Knightly sword, a very good and affordable type XII from Albion, and I've ordered a NextGen Laird. I liked the classic design of the Knight (and your review make me like it a lot more), but next to my Knightly sword, wich is also very classic, I wanted a more "complicated" design and finally choosed the Laird. I just hope it will be as good as the Knight...

David
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Etienne wrote:
I just hope it will be as good as the Knight...

It is, and thank you for the compliment.
Big Grin

Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Gabriel Stevens wrote:

I'll check it out too, once I finish my book. I've got another 150 pages or so to go still
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
The sword of King Sancho IV has always been one of my favorites. My first custom piece was meant to be based on that sword. The maker took some creative liberties (which included putting the wrong blade on the sword) so the end product didn't look much like the Sancho, a nice sword to be sure but not close enough really. I intend to have a close recreation made some day.

Hey Patrick!

Sancho is one of our favorites here, too -- (not to let too many cats out of too many bags) but Sancho is one of the swords we are thinking of for a future Museum Line piece... (Eric especially is hot for that one...)

Best,

Howy

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's great news Howy!

Years ago Eric and I spent a lot of time talking about that sword so I know how he feels about it. Me too! This is one of the few swords that is still with it's original scabbard, and a scabbard that's in very good shape to boot.

Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Gabriel Stevens wrote:

That is a good one. Certainly some fantasy elements, but Guy Kay does a whole lot of historical research before he starts a book, so it also reads much like historical fiction (with the names changed). Another nice book from him is "The Last Light of the Sun" - Viking inspired historical fantasy.

Gordon
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the excellent review of the Knight, Patrick and the nasty wound you caused.
After reading the review i decided to take my knight and my other type xii's outside and after slipping on a rather wet piece of wood the sword flew into the air. and what did i do but catch it with my bare hand.

OWWWWWww
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 2:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee Watts wrote:
Thanks for the excellent review of the Knight, Patrick and the nasty wound you caused.
After reading the review i decided to take my knight and my other type xii's outside and after slipping on a rather wet piece of wood the sword flew into the air. and what did i do but catch it with my bare hand.

OWWWWWww

Ouch! Hope it heals quickly!

Gotta ask... can you still count to 10?

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lee Watts wrote:

OWWWWWww

Ouch! If I said I've never done anything like that I'd be lying. I hope all of your digits are intact.

More importantly though, did you save the sword from damage? Razz

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Albion's Knight.
Page 2 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: