Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nasal helm from GDFB Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory,

The style 3 was actually me second choice if the Olmutz hadn't been available.

I may wind up painting my helm.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 1:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, I think that those two are the best on that page. You're getting this stuff together to portray what exactly, Patrick? I was under the impression that with your collection of stuff from the era growing you were planning on doin' 10th century Scandinavian. Is that about right?

Now, thinking about it, it wouldn't make sense to paint it if that WAS what you were planning on portraying... So, what exactly are you gonna' set this panoply up for?

-Gregory-

My Flickr Galleries - Travel, Nature & Things
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 2:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Yeah, I think that those two are the best on that page. You're getting this stuff together to portray what exactly, Patrick? I was under the impression that with your collection of stuff from the era growing you were planning on doin' 10th century Scandinavian. Is that about right?

Now, thinking about it, it wouldn't make sense to paint it if that WAS what you were planning on portraying... So, what exactly are you gonna' set this panoply up for?

I am indeed putting together a viking kit, but that isn't the only thing I'm working on. Wink

Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, silly me. I'd forgotten that you ordered the Medieval Reproductions Gjermundba helmet! Hmmm, this current helmet choice of yours with the idea of painting brings me to one conclusion in particular...

Norman?

-Gregory-

Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sat 16 Apr, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gregory J. Liebau wrote:
Oh, silly me. I'd forgotten that you ordered the Medieval Reproductions Gjermundba helmet! Hmmm, this current helmet choice of yours with the idea of painting brings me to one conclusion in particular...

Norman?

Could be. Razz

Stephen Brown

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Just thought I would post and thank you all for your comments and elaborate on what we do.
I have invested in a dedicated workshop in an industrial area on the outskirts of Delhi.
All of our designs are researched by Mike Trevor and patterned by Martin Bavin and Duncan Cormack of www.Aplaisance.co.uk and both of these guys have just returned from a 10 day visit to the workshop where they have been finalizing the production system and training new staff in the ways of bending steel.
We are able to maintain quality because of these visits 6 times a year and that is the difference between GDFB and other Indian manufacturers, we put the effort in, you reap the benefits.
We are in the process of appointing distributors in all countries where we have a demand and the US is on the list.
I feel that this is most important so that you guys are not forced to pay over the odds for shipping.
Just a note to Patrick, the shipping was actually 25 sterling and rises to anything between 30 and 35 sterling depending on the helmet weight, the Olmutz is one of the lightest we do, so you can see a distributor in your country would be the best idea.
You can be sure that because of my direct investment and therefore control that the pricing will be kept at a sustainable level whilst providing our workers with good working conditions and a good rate of pay at 20% above the going rate.
The workshop has been purpose built and Martin and Duncan have just supervised and advised on the production system with production sections and lines headed by section and line leaders with a full quality control system in operation.
With the correct leadership and involvement armour can be made anywhere in the world and this does not have to involve exploitation which I personally detest.
We will through time have a full section on the site dedicated to the workshop with a full and open account of our operation. I am sure that others will attempt to copy our business model but I am confident we will always be leading the field in a professional and efficient manner.

Best Wishes

Stephen
GDFB
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 9:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen wrote:
Just a note to Patrick, the shipping was actually 25 sterling and rises to anything between 30 and 35 sterling depending on the helmet

Well then Stephen it seems that I owe you an even bigger "thank you" than I thought! That works out to over $47 of our poor weak currency. This helm is far superior to other products of it's type I have seen that were made in India. I'm eager to see what you'll be coming up with in the future.

Thanks again!

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Sun 17 Apr, 2005 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen -

Most of the product line is still under development but I noticed that you had sword sections. Are you planning to make your own swords in addition to the armor or are you going to sell swords from other manufacturers?
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 12:44 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As a price comparison here's a similar item from the MRL kingdom of Heaven Collection.

This helm is described as being made from 18 gauge steel, priced at $175 before shipping.

Even after factoring in shipping the GDFB helm is a better buy on price alone, not to mention the heavier construction and reinforced nasal guard.

Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
As a price comparison here's a similar item from the MRL kingdom of Heaven Collection.

This helm is described as being made from 18 gauge steel, priced at $175 before shipping.

Even after factoring in shipping the GDFB helm is a better buy on price alone, not to mention the heavier construction and reinforced nasal guard.

And, correct me if I'm wrong, but the Kingdom of Heaven helmet doesn't come with a liner.

Edit: My mistake, I just checked the catalog and they are indeed lined. I must admit to being pleasantly surprised by this.
Gregory J. Liebau

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 3:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Plus the better shape, in my opinion! Eek!

But, it does have a nice stand...

-Gregory-

Michael P Smith

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Sun 17 Apr, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know that GDFB's flat ring, wedge-rivetted mail is being sold through Historic Enterprises. Are they going to be the distributor for other BDFB products? The mail is getting rave reviews.

I have a haubergeon on order right now.

Mike
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005 1:40 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

Ahh, but the GDFB helm is not an "officially licensed" Kingdom of Heaven item. That must be worth $100 (tongue planted firmly in cheek Laughing Out Loud ).
Daniel Parry

Reading list: 39 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Apr, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Although I'm not a medieval armour area person or a reenactor, it is really nice looking at their website to see such a variety of helmets (and armour still under development). When you look at many producers they often (with some exceptions) have 'a Norman helmet' or 'a medieval knight's helm' with limited selection. The exceptions are generally the more expensive producers. It's nice to see such a selection of simple sallets, kettle hats, basinets etc from across Europe, which were the mainstay of the less wealthy soldier in battle as well as the larger helms (and there is a variety there too). As to their inspiration, I think they took a few study trips to the Wallace Collection as several are very very close cousins to those at the collection (the sawbone sallet in particular). And what a price !

Saw they are opening a showroom in Wales near Harlech, where my dad's family are from. I may pay a visit in passing next time I'm around there. Also has one of the best castles in the UK.

I am tempted to get one of their pointed-faced basinets for decoration.

Daniel
Stephen Brown

PostPosted: Tue 19 Apr, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Steve
Scary you should mention "Kingdom of Heaven".
We produced all the aluminum riveted maille for the movie. The principals are wearing the rubber stuff I believe, bless them.
The maille looks good in the battle scenes so let me know what you think when you see it.
As a side note we have been developing a full range of crusader kit some of which is on the site now and more to come.
Daniel
I am traveling to Wales on Thursday to finalize plans for the showroom so give me a call and I will give you an estimated completion date.

Best

Stephen

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Nasal helm from GDFB
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: