Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Agincourt vs. Crecy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Some additional info:

The Crécy is now a dedicated XVIa. It is dramatically different in its feel than its predecessor. I made changes to the outer third of the blade to make the point more pronounced and I also made the fuller deeper. There are many other subtle changes to the cross section and taper of the blade.
I wanted to keep the silhouette mostly the same as that was one of the really strong feaures of the FG sword. The cross is still a straight beveled affair, but with some tweaking to make it more efficient in the shape. I really like these seemingly simple guards: it is all in how the bevels are cut and how the sublte swellings are defined. The pommel is a deeply beveled wheel type with a small central hub: a bit like the pommel of the "Knight" but wider and more pronounced in the shape. It is less oval tha the pommel of the Baron. As a whole the sword has an understaded elegance, I should hope. This is an aspect that is going to be difficult to show in photographs, or drawings for that matter.
You need to review this new sword on its own merits, the difference from the FG sword is too great to base any ideas of the new one from experience of the old sword.
The feel of the NG Crécy is livelier than its predecessor. It does cut suprisingly well concidering its light character. (it seem to cut as well as the Baron, based on some initial experiements). The slim point allows for quick and precise manouvering. It is not as massive as the Baron or Duke, and that is intentional. I wanted the Crécy to be a weapon that is one size smaller that the bigger wars words in the line.

Compared to the NG Agincourt, the blade of the Crécy is wider at the COP as can be expected and it is also more flexible blade.

The Agincourt is built on the new long XVa blade that is the basis for all thos new XVa´s. This one is also very different from its predecessor, perhaps even more so than the case with the Crécy. I wanted to have a blade that was longer, stiffer and with more attitude than the previous FG Agincourt. To my mind the FG Agincourt was almost a riding sword in its proportions. There was a gap i the NG line for those narrow, slim and powerful long swords that are so typical of the late 14th C and 15thC. The XVa type is exiting to explore. The more I work with them the more I appreciate those very stiff and narrow longswords.
We always hear that they are not the best in the cutting departmant, but that is a very relative thing. It is the same as with the XVII type, depending on type and design it can be a very effective cutting sword. The tests I´ve done on the XVa blade shows it to be deadly in cutting. Do not expect it to cleave like the Duke, but that is obvious. The XVa blade of these new NG swords will cut well; enough so to be devastating in an encounter, where it is no difference to the outcome if you cleave some one down to the waist or merely cut the shoulder through to the rib cage. I do not doubt this XVa blade is easily capable of cleaving a skull or amputating an arm at the wrist.
The character of these long XVa blades is strong. They have very powerful prescence and give you an impression of being ready to pounce like a crouching predator. It does not take much energy to delvier dedicated attacks and the lively heft invites a cool, cold-blooded attitude when you wield it. The point section is stiff and light. The point is thick but very narrow: an absolute awl.
The thick and narrow blade makes it possible to grip the blade even if it is sharp. This is the one major factor in what swords you can use for half swording: the width and thickness of the blade. These long XVa´s can be used like short spears and it is very possible to deliver blows with the pommel if you grip the blade with both hands. I don´t know how much I would recommend doing this on a regular every day training basis, but it can be done in a pinch.

The Crécy is a different sword that way: it is closer to a traditional type XIIa, only with a more pronounced point. The XVa´s are very different: much stiffer, less hungry in the cut but more aggressive in other ways. Nastier, you might say. You cannot really compare them, there is too much that differs between them.
Do not be fooled by the simple lines of the Crécy, it is more involved than the drawing might make clear. This is true of all hilts of these swords includig the new XVa´s: they are very three dimensional. It is difficult to base an opinion from their front outline. I´ve tried to show this in the shading of the drawings, but there is a limit to what you can show in a two dimensional drawing.

Hope this helps giving a better idea of the character of these swords.
If it is difficult to decide, my advice would be to get both Wink
They are different enough to merit a place side by side in any collection. Cool
Gabriel Stevens

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Peter, great info!
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow thanks Peter! It sounds like both swords will be really nice! There's still a little bit of competition, but I am mostly leaning toward the Crécy. I'm not a huge fan of swords that are extremely pointy like the Agincourt, but it is still the most attractive sword of it's type. I've seen alot of pictures of the 1st Gen Crécy and it's amazing how a simple guard can actually be more complex than shown. Thanks again, it's really great to have the help of the experts. Happy
"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Michael F.

PostPosted: Fri 29 Apr, 2005 5:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Almost forgot. Anyone who has cut with a XV/ xva please share the experience! The new updates this week gave me some knowledge. Do type XVII's perform similarly to XV's because of the largely tapered blade?
"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
Almost forgot. Anyone who has cut with a XV/ xva please share the experience! The new updates this week gave me some knowledge. Do type XVII's perform similarly to XV's because of the largely tapered blade?

I would be careful making general comparisons between just any XVIII, XV or XVa. There are diferences between originals enough to make general assumptions of cutting capability moot. Among modern replicas the case is even more confused. Not many replicas today are made after close study of actual originals. That means they can be pretty close or very far removed from any sword made for use.

With this reservation on comparisons I can share some of my personal experiences from working with these blades.
Your guess that the XV/XVa would be similar to a XVII is to the point, for these specific blades. At this time, I cannot say if the Xva´s or the XVII are best for cutting. Both blades work well. The XVII blade is perhaps a bit sturdier and stiffer, but not dramatically so. The XVa is on the other hand longer with a quicker point.

One of the first swords I ever made was a type XV single hand sword modelled after a sword in the Wallace Collection.
Thre is a lot about that sword that makes it a bit dated...*but* its handling dynamics are decent. I used this recently during a demonstration of the development of the sword involving cutting of "realistic" targets: Fusiotherm pipes wrapped with soaked newspaper and duct tape, simulating skin, damp flesh and living bone. I had intended illustrate how a sword mostly intended for cutting compared to a dedicated cutting sword such as a viking sword.
To my surprice the XV cut nearly as well as the viking: the difference was actually marginal (and this was a very effective viking sword) The cut was made at the middle of the blade of the XV, close to the blade node. (That´s important.) A XV seems to be more sensitive in that department (at least the shorter single hand ones). When the cut is delivered with speed and accurate alignement the blade will cut very well. To my amazement the severed part of the "leg" stayed almost in place after the cut: a very clean cut, no splintering of "bone", no tearing of "flesh". The severed part slid gently off and fell straight down. There was only a slight *ping* sounding from the sword, no vibrations or any sense of passing through flesh or bone.

A broader thinner blade will be more forgiving in cutting: you can deliver good cuts with less than ideal hits. A XV seems to be a little bit more sensetive. When the cut is well placed the sword will cut with authority though.
Remember: this was the result of tests with *one* sword. This blade was built partly on the same data thatI´ve used for the blade of the Castellan/Mercenary swords that is shortened for the Poitiers. These blades will cut, but demands that the cut is made a bit further in on the blade (when cutting solid targets), lighter targets could well be cut further out towards the point (but still some 3 inches inside the point).

The tests I´ve done on the XVII and XVa blades shows that these also cut well.
Cutting performance is good enough that these swords can be labeleld cut & thrust swords. An emphasis on the thrust, but pretty decent in the cut. (Pretty decent = capable of amputating cuts if well placed).
I think that putting one of these swords through testing can change the popular ideas of what these types are capable of. Yes, they are thrusting swords, but not neccesarily compromizing the cut seriously.
Then again, it is vital to remember that authentic originals will vary in character: some are obviously made almost purely for thrusting, while others have this cut&thrust character. It depends on outline, cross section, thickness, weight, balance and distal taper.

Hope this helps.
Michael F.

PostPosted: Sat 30 Apr, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That test cut with the viking and XV suprised me! Great stuff.

Thanks very much!
Michael F.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Agincourt vs. Crecy
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: