Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of St. Galgano Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 12:21 pm    Post subject: Sword of St. Galgano         Reply with quote

I didn't want to derail Joe Yurgil's thread about magical swords, but after reading a little about the St. Galgano story I had a couple of questions.

Are there any accounts of people trying to remove the sword? Bjorn's article mentioned briefly that according to one version of the legend attempting this would result in your arms being torn off, but human nature being what it is someone must have tried at least once.

These days I'm sure there are security measures in place to keep people from touching, or tampering with the sword. Has anyone been there to see it?
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I read the artical, but my question was, if they did a check for whats under it, why didn't they do a check to see if its a whole sword?
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Doesn't shed a whole lot of light on your questions BUT it's a start:

http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20040301/sword.html

-"A woman's tongue is her sword, and she does not let it rust."
Proverb
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Our article has references cited, too, with links to oher Web resources on the issue.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 4:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Helen and Nathan. I still haven't found answers to my specific questions, but that may simply be because there are no recorded instances of people trying to remove the sword. I suppose if it was possible to easily remove the sword someone would have done it by now, and there wouldn't be such a mystery surrounding it.

The article Helen linked to was dated March 1st, 2004, but I'm guessing the Project Galgano people did not find a body, or else there would have been some kind of follow up story.

On another note does anyone else think it is a bit grisly that his head is preserved? WTF?!

Edit: Found another website with pictures of the sword. Somehow I don't think the church wants it to be removed.

http://www.sangalgano.info/spada_en.html
Steve Fabert

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 4:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The custom of preserving a deceased celebrity's head rather than preserving his entire body has been fairly common in Europe. I know of one example of it in the 20th Century, and I am reasonably sure it was common in earlier centuries to treat saint's relics in this fashion.

I wonder what a geologist would say about the 'stone'. It would not be difficult to place a sword in concrete. If a geologist can confirm what kind of object the 'stone' is, the most obvious potential non-miraculous explanation would be resolved.
Helen Miller

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry about the article J. Padgett. I was hoping to find some really exciting discovery. I could do some more research on it tomorrow to see if I find anything new interesting. I was hoping the same thing you were.

As far as preserving saint relics is concerned, it was fairly common to do so. I read somewhere that they would even preserve a saint's finger nail or stuff even worse AND people would go on pilgrimages just to see this! EWWWW!

Proverb
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 6:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Fabert wrote:
The custom of preserving a deceased celebrity's head rather than preserving his entire body has been fairly common in Europe. I know of one example of it in the 20th Century, and I am reasonably sure it was common in earlier centuries to treat saint's relics in this fashion.

I wonder what a geologist would say about the 'stone'. It would not be difficult to place a sword in concrete. If a geologist can confirm what kind of object the 'stone' is, the most obvious potential non-miraculous explanation would be resolved.

I got the impression it's embedded in bedrock...?

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
Alina Boyden

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Medieval people didn't have concrete.

Here is where I say something uncharacteristically biased and un-academic: It's a miracle, just as the story claims.
Alex Oster

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 7:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

no concrete... I'm pretty sure thats not entirely true... maybe not concrete as we know it, but I do belive they had an equivalent...then again, I am bald... so maybe I don't know everything...
The pen is mightier than the sword, especially since it can get past security and be stabbed it into a jugular.
This site would be better if everytime I clicked submit... I got to hear a whip crack!
My collection: Various Blades & Conan related
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alina Boyden wrote:
Medieval people didn't have concrete.

Here is where I say something uncharacteristically biased and un-academic: It's a miracle, just as the story claims.

Interesting. Had they forgotten? I thought that the Romans had developed concrete, or at least something like it.
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Romans had concrete but the art of making concrete was lost for centuries until much much later in the 19th century. There was no concrete in the middle ages. That's why medieval buildings are all made of stonework and not concrete. Just think how much easier a castle would be to make if you could pour out a concrete wall

Concrete is my #1 least favorite invention of all time. I can't stand the way it looks or the way it permeates all of society.

Attachment: 104.02 KB
boring_09.jpg

Benjamin McCracken

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually... Here is a link to a page on the history of concrete. http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/~tw/concrete/hist.html It appears that both of you are right. The page says that in the middle ages (1200 - 1500) "[t]he quality of cementing materials deteriorated. The use of burning lime and pozzolan (admixture) was lost, but reintroduced in the 1300's."

Personally I like to believe in miracles.

Ben

"Your sword is your shield!"
Christian Henry Tobler
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh. yes concrete castles could have been much better at resisting canon fire I would guess and truly massive 30 foot thick walls. ( Might have changed history ? Made fortifications much harder to defeat and caused the making of truly "Monstrous bombard " . )

Designs would have maybe more organic shapes with complex deflecting surfaces.

Facings using real stone could still have been used for an outer shell for decorative reasons.

Designing imaginary fortifications was my primary way of mentally escaping dull classes at school and I still enjoy imagining complex gateways and fortifications that would put an attacker at maximum disadvantage. ( Very good in any situation where being bored is a hazzard, like doctor's waiting rooms or any other activity that involves long waits. )

Getting back to subject: At the time this sword ended up encased in stone "like" materials concrete was not used in Europe, but was it known anywhere else in the world ? Could some other type of artificial stone fool modern science into thinking that it is natural.

If one could make a sword shaped hole in real stone, could a blade be cast in place ? Or would a sword heated to forging heat be forced into the hole. ( The hole shaped with a narrowing in thickness that would hold the sword after it was pounded in and deformed enough to be unremovable ? Just trying to imagine how it might be done Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin McCracken wrote:
Actually... Here is a link to a page on the history of concrete. http://matse1.mse.uiuc.edu/~tw/concrete/hist.html It appears that both of you are right. The page says that in the middle ages (1200 - 1500) "[t]he quality of cementing materials deteriorated. The use of burning lime and pozzolan (admixture) was lost, but reintroduced in the 1300's."

Personally I like to believe in miracles.

Ben

I think the lime and pozzolan are only mortar materials and not the mixture of concrete itself. I could be wrong, but I found the wikipedia article and my roman archaeology professor agree with one another.
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 9:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with Alina that concrete is horribly monotonous as a building material. Also it isn't surprising to me that the Romans had it, but it was basically forgotten during the Middle Ages. That will happen when barbarians come in, and start kicking stuff around. Big Grin

Helen, no need to be sorry about the article! Any additional information is good.

I knew that the remains of saints were often preserved, but I always thought it was mostly bones. Fingernails would be quite gross. Part of Saint Galgano's legend was that his head grew golden curls for several years after his death. That would be much more worthy of a pilgrimage I think. I've heard of saints' bodies not decomposing, and smelling like flowers after death too. I tried to find a picture of his preserved head, but no such luck.

You would think that since they discovered the opening beneath the rock believed to house the saint's body scientists could also detect the rest of the sword within the rock itself.

As to whether or not is is a genuine miracle... I have no idea. I'm not actually trying to debunk the legend, but rather learn as much as I can about it. What puzzles me is that if it is truly a miracle why would Galgano simply become a hermit? Abandoning his former worldly ways is good, but wouldn't it make more sense to become someone who preaches the word of God if he saw proof of the divine?
Alina Boyden

PostPosted: Mon 25 Apr, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Padgett wrote:
I have to agree with Alina that concrete is horribly monotonous as a building material. Also it isn't surprising to me that the Romans had it, but it was basically forgotten during the Middle Ages. That will happen when barbarians come in, and start kicking stuff around. Big Grin

Helen, no need to be sorry about the article! Any additional information is good.

I knew that the remains of saints were often preserved, but I always thought it was mostly bones. Fingernails would be quite gross. Part of Saint Galgano's legend was that his head grew golden curls for several years after his death. That would be much more worthy of a pilgrimage I think. I've heard of saints' bodies not decomposing, and smelling like flowers after death too. I tried to find a picture of his preserved head, but no such luck.

You would think that since they discovered the opening beneath the rock believed to house the saint's body scientists could also detect the rest of the sword within the rock itself.

As to whether or not is is a genuine miracle... I have no idea. I'm not actually trying to debunk the legend, but rather learn as much as I can about it. What puzzles me is that if it is truly a miracle why would Galgano simply become a hermit? Abandoning his former worldly ways is good, but wouldn't it make more sense to become someone who preaches the word of God if he saw proof of the divine?

In a word, no.

You see, the notion of giving up the world to begin a life of asceticism was viewed differently in the early middle ages, the high middle ages, and today. In the early middle ages, monks would live in monasteries and pray as "warriors" for God. By praying they viewed themselves as religious knights fighting spiritual battles against Satan. They devoted their entire life to praying, oftentimes for the dead or for the living. These prayers helped give grace to people who led non-holy lives. In the 13th century and in the early part of the 14th century, the economic boom, increase in city life, and a more monetary economy caused people to see wealth as evil. As a result, poverty became very important. The mendicant friars sprung up, wandering the world and preaching the gospel. This was a dramatic departure from monks, who never left the monastery grounds. St. Galgano lived at this time of change. As a result, it is difficult to say which version of the holy life he is trying to follow based only on temporal evidence. Fortunately, his behavior shows us that he was following the earlier model of the monastic ascetic life.
J. Padgett

PostPosted: Tue 26 Apr, 2005 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Interesting. Thanks, Alina. I knew about poverty being important once the bourgeoisie began to rise, but never knew about the praying aspect of monastic life. Obviously I knew they prayed, but I didn't realize they were doing it as a service to others. I had always thought monastic life was simply an abandonment of the outside world to find personal salvation. Learn something new every day.
Helen Miller

PostPosted: Wed 27 Apr, 2005 2:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I recently contacted Mr. Damiano Andreini manager of the TUSCANJOURNEY.ORG website and tourguide.
Here's what he had to say:

Quote:

Dear Ms. Helen,

I posted my article concerning the Sword in May 2000, if I well remember. Since
then I have had no news about that curious agument. I also know some researches
should have been already made, but probaly the results have not been published,
not yet.

Yes, an english tourist, during the early XX century, tried to pull the sword
out and it was finally broken (he was not the real King Arthur...!!). It has
been reinstalled in the stone with some cement immediately after.

A medieval history teacher in the University of Florence, whose name is Franco
Cardini (very famous all over Europe) worte a book about San Galgano and the
Sword in the Stone. Most of my arguments were taken from his pages, but I do not
remember the title of the book anymore. You'll easily find the title on the
net, with some research keys like "san Galgano" or "La Spada nella Roccia"
(hopefully with a translation in English).

My best wishes and

A presto!

Damiano Andreini

Proverb
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Thu 28 Apr, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, an english tourist, during the early XX century, tried to pull the sword
out and it was finally broken (he was not the real King Arthur...!!). It has
been reinstalled in the stone with some cement immediately after.

Damn tourists.

"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Sword of St. Galgano
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: