myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Why do you love polearms? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It seems like this cutting the heads off of pikes thing could be pretty reasonably resolved, all you need is someone holding a pole of the appropriate diameter and composition and a big husky with the two hander of choice. Has no one tried this?
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Patrick Kelly

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 1:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
It seems like this cutting the heads off of pikes thing could be pretty reasonably resolved, all you need is someone holding a pole of the appropriate diameter and composition and a big husky with the two hander of choice. Has no one tried this?

Why be concerned with waisting effort in chopping the head off? It seems to me simply deflecting the pointy bit, stepping inside the range of the weapon, and putting the smack-down on the "meat" would a more efficient use of time and resources.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 1:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Why be concerned with waisting effort in chopping the head off? It seems to me simply deflecting the pointy bit, stepping inside the range of the weapon, and putting the smack-down on the "meat" would a more efficient use of time and resources.

Works for me! Big Grin

Do it quickly, though, so they don't "half-haft" the dude or back out, recover, and put the pointy bit back in service.

Hmm... chopping the head off... probably not the easiest thing to do. WAY too much time and effort. Even if one does succeed, they still have a pointy, jagged stick!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Matthew Kelty

Reading list: 61 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
Has no one tried this?

I keep making offers, but nobody has stepped up with their Atrim/Atar/Schroeder/Tinker/Etc. yet.... Happy

Yup, you guys are all right, it *is* a waste of time and effort. For whatever reason, someone, somewhere started the rumor that Zweihanders and Claymores were designed to do this, its permeated the re-enactor community at large, and yet nobody can quite come up with the evidence. Common sense dictates it's rather innefficient to attempt, and practicality dictates that it's darn tough to execute.

My *theory* is that it all ties to a single panel of the Pavia Tapestry that has been widely published in the Osprey Landsknecht series, in which a Zweihander weilding soldier is assaulting another, and a proken halberd or pike is on the ground, in the background. At any rate, let the pursuit of truth continue, and in the meantime...

I love my bilhooks, glaives, partisans, beeftongues and pikes.... Happy
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 2:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, the point ( Pun alert .....POINTS ) is that a Twohander attacking a pike square would have to chop MANY pikes not just one pike to be effective if chopping the pikes was the objective. Now creating chaos and confusion knocking the pikes out of line and tangling them up would do the job Razz Big Grin ( As I mentioned previously. )

In a one on one fight the 18' pike would be worse than useless and dropping it in favor of a sword and buckler would be my guess the better option.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Patrick Kelly

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
In a one on one fight the 18' pike would be worse than useless and dropping it in favor of a sword and buckler would be my guess the better option.

Long ago I was part of a Landsknecht re-enactment group. That is a very accurate statement. When we could maintain unit integrity, and keep the opposition at pike point range, we were extremely effective. Allow the enemy to get inside our formation and we were usually toast.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick;

I've been wondering what is the minimal number of pikemen needed to make the pike effective and not a handicap.

Now a single pikeman seems fairly useless except maybe against a single horseman.

Two pikemen doesn't seem much better and 4 to 8 just a slight touch better ! To give the pikemen a chance we could limit speculation to tactical situations were being flanked is not a factor like in a mountain pass or wide bridge were the numbers of pikemen is sufficient to have one man every 6 feet the whole width of the ground to hold.

Were flanking is possible I would think that the minimum number to be effective would be at least 2X or 3X.

So what do you think the minimum number would be ? I think 12 would be rock bottom minimum with 24 having a chance and 48 being effective in defense against a proportionaly equivalent force of no more than twice the numbers of opponents.

Now adding supporting arms complicates the calculations: Maybe a third of the force with Bills or Halberds, one or two Twohanded swordsmen and at least an additional 50% strong force of missile troops.

Oh, for that poor isolated pikeman, I would suggest cutting his pike down to 9' with a small belt axe given time to prepare.
And the same for an isolated unit too small to be effective.

I might equipt MY fictional pikemen with pikes made of two threaded sections to be able to go back to full length pikes when needed: Might also be a good idea to use the " half pikes " on the march with the other part slung over the shoulder, might be good against supprise attacks or when pillaging the countryside for supplies.( 15th & !6th century ethics .... LOL. )

Oh, if the lower half of the two section pike has a butt spike it might be pressed into service as a javeline ?
( Oh , realise that this is not what was done historically, but I like to speculate about theoretical tactics just for the fun of it. )

Matthew Kelty

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean, you're actually getting quite close to the truth in how pikemen were used. Things shuffle around certainly through the 16th and 17th centuries, proportions slide around due to available technology, resources and objectives, but you've hit fairly close to the mark.

Figure 10% goes into the "Unique" and "Elite" aspects of a Company. These would be your Ensign, the Drums and Fifes, and a few senior or experienced soldiers to direct and protect them (Captain, Leiutenant, Quartemaster, Pioneers, Lancepassados, Two-handed swordsmen, Sword and Buckler men, etc.) in the "Unique" category.

You've also got a smattering of the artillery pieces and their crews, and your corp of mounted Men-At-Arms/Gendarme/Reiters/Cuirassiers/Dragoons, all whose job it is to harass the enemy more directly, rounding out the "Elite" category.

The remaining 90% are now fairly well split into Missile and Polearm roles, and fairly well down the middle.

Depending on the era, your Archer/Crossbow/Harquebus/Caliver/Muskets generally get broken further into some offensive and defensive tools and roles, with Crossbows and Harquebus being more mobile in their offense, and Archers, Calivers and Muskets being more static in their assaults, and perhaps equally offensive as well as defensive (the original reactive armor if you will... Happy

With the Polearms, you have about 10-20% in the "short" arm category (Glaive/Partisan/Halberd/Bill), and they are generally placed around the Ensign, or sent out for sorties between the pike ranks or into the opposing flanks.

Lastly, your pikemen round out the remaining 35-40%.

If you use Machiavelli's 144 men -> Company model for formations (not the only way for sure, but definitely consistent and proportionate with most theories), and have 12 ranks of 12 files, this gives you three ranks deep of Pikemen all across the front, or two ranks of shot along the outside flanks, and 4 ranks deep of pike in the middle.

This gives the Pikemen an nice solid front to stop all comers, and enough resources to protect their flanks, harass up the middle, and defend a potential rout.

Multiply this X 3 Companies, and now you've got a fighting machine... Happy

As far as the Pikeman stranded/broken/routed, he definitely drops the pike and draws his sword. The posture for receiving a Cavalry charge is with the foot on the butt of the pike, holding it firm against the ground (and yes, most had buttcaps, and some had spikes, but there are times where you need to brace the butt with your hand, and spike = bad at that point... Happy

With the tip pointed up towards a horse's chest height, you brace your legs against the pole, and either draw your sword, or at least keep your hand in the guard. If you were charged, once they hit, and the line is crumpled, drop the pike, and start hacking.

So, congratulations, you're instincts are good, but I'd reconsider the collapsible pike, and just give 'em a stout sword... Happy
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 9:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:

I completely agree, however I was thinking along the lines of putting this thing to bed one way or another permanently. Personally I don't think it will work but I've been wrong before. So, this would sort of be along the lines of dispelling mythology...

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
George Hill

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 9:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

So what were the huge swords for? General hacking?

I sort of had a vision of some very large VERY mobile guys deployed to the front of the enemy formation, hacking the pike heads whilst backing up in front of the formation as quickly as possible. The idea being not to hack into the formation, but to blunt it, so when the lines meet the enemy is already less effective. Then the lines close, and the huge sword boys exit stage right... so the other side's pikes can close in and finsh up.

Sort of like Skirmishers in the napoleonic wars.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean and Matthew:

Per the numbers/percentages of Pikes needed on the battlefield to be effective, it of course depends upon just WHEN we are talking about. In the era pre-1550 or so, there was a definite bias towards Pikes. In the original organization of the Spanish Tercios of 1534, there were 10 companies of Pikes (each company having 219 Pikemen, and in addition some 20 Musketeers) with two companies of Arquebusiers (224 Arquebusiers, along with 15 Musketeers). Contrary to Sir Charles Oman's reference, the Tercio didn't officially go to half and half until a hundred years later, under the ordnance of 1636. one can deduce the there were gradually more Shotte than Pikes as the 16th Century progressed, but the Spaniards for one were rather conservative in their numbers. Thus you have LOTS of Pikes to fairly few Shotte.

English armies showed a greater propencity towards higher percentages of Shotte, while French armies of the late 16th Century showed a marked predeliction for NO pikes at all! Needless to say things often went poorly for French Arquebusiers when the opposing force's Cavalry rode them down...

In any event, it seems as though pike blocks of 3-5,000 men were the norm for the early 16th Century, while smaller "regimental-sized" (say around a thousand men) blocs became more usual by the end of the century.

According to Bert Hall in his excellent book Weapons and Warfare of Renaissance Europe the numbers of Pikes needed for defence against Heavy Horse remained high until the Pistoliers drove the Heavy Horse (i.e. heavily armoured Lancers) from the field in the late 16th Century. Since the Pistoliers didn't offer the same threat to Infantry as the Heavy Horse had done, they could then afford to gradually change the percentages of Pikes to Shotte in favor of the Shotte. At this point Infantry can become more Offensive, as well as able to use much more mobile and thin ranks such as made famous by Maurice of Nassau and Gustavus II Adolphus. Such thin (read also "brittle") formations wouldn't do at all against a charge by fully armoured Gendarmes on barded horses, but were sufficient to hold more lightly armed (and mounted on less aggressive and well trained horses) Pistoliers at bay (most of the time). And as the Pistolier was replaced by the even MORE lightly armoured Harquebusier by the middle of the 17th Century, and then by Dragoons at the end of that century, the need for deep pike formations vanished along with the need for heavy pikes.

So, what pole-arms do I love? I used to own a gorgeous pole-axe I bought from Jeff Schroeter years back, but it unfortunately got lost along the way... so I've transferfed my affections to my new Heavy Lance! It's only a practice lance, but heavy it is, and REALLY whacks a quintain around! Ah, the joys of pole-arms!

Cheers!

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Matthew Kelty

PostPosted: Fri 27 May, 2005 10:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
So what were the huge swords for? General hacking?

Nope, not hacking, but more like giant levers and short spears.

The most natural instinct I have when facing a nest of poles with a two handed sword, is to simply slip the tip in, start wrenching, and tying up the poles, and/or sliding down the shaft, using my edge as a guide, with the point towards the weilder of the pole. Guaranteed to find a few tender fingers along the way if the weilder is a doofus, and I can get straight to the soft squishy center, mmm, mmm, good.... Happy It's even easier when you add the flukes on the Zweihander.

There is also some evidence towards this application of technique through some of the fightbooks and artwork contemporary with the era.

I feel the best Fightbook to focus on in regards to being applicable to the era of the Two handed sword and mass polearms would be Achille Marozzo's 'Opera Nova' from 1537. This work is primarily textual, not to mention written in 16th Century Tuscan, a distinctly unique Italian dialect, and is usually overlooked, except for the nifty buckler shapes...

http://jan.ucc.nau.edu/~wew/fencing/manuals.html

At any rate, I've not met a full translation yet, but the two handed sword plates all show commonalities with my instictive (yet undocumented) manner of using these weapons against pikes.

To wit:

1) Almost all of the guards are firmly on the middle position, with fairly horizontal blade positions.
2) 4 Cutting postures, and 15 Defensive postures.
3) Of the 15 Wards, 6 are point down, 3 are point up, and 6 are point level.

Sense a slight bias in it's intended application? You use it like a shield and spear, keeping your opponent's weapon to the outside line, while driving in for a thrust, a half-sword assault, a disarm, anything that a five foot piece of edged steel can do to dispatch your opponent... Happy

I also found a period painting that illustrates my suggestions, although you'll have to take my word for it, as my scanner is dead. I have a book published by Banco Toscano, and it is titled "Giovanni Delle Bande Nere". It's in Italian, and is a Coffee Table book with various essays about Giovanni De Medici. ~$35.00 plus shipping, kind of hard to find.

Giorgio Vasari is an Artist mostly known for his book about Michelangelo, and his Architechtural design, but he was also a fairly well regarded Fresco painter. In the "Giovanni Delle Bande Nere" book, there is a picture of a particularly interesting Fresco he did in the "Sala de Giovanni Delle Bande Nere" in the Palazzo Vecchio. It's title was in Italian, but translated out as something like "The fight between Giovanni and the Orsini at the Bridge to Sant'Angelo".

In it are several two handed swordsmen fighting a knot of pikemen. They are in what *ALMOST* appears to be what Morozzo calls the "Guardia de Coda Lunga et Alta", or "the High, Long Tail". Marozzo's guard has the Right hand at the quillons, left hand on the pommel, blade set horizontally straight out, sternum high, towards the right side of the body. This is almost identical to the painting, however the painting shows one of the swordsmen with their left hand at the quillons, their right on the pommel. Both of those in the front have a slight downward angle from the sternum to about the navel. They engage the pikemen with this guard, and are seen to be charging down the shaft, using the edge as a shield, and running point first towards the pikemen. If you imagine the two handed sword as the tusks of a boar, yeah, it's gonna leave a mark... Happy

This, to me, is a much more efficient use of these great weapons then suggesting that their role was to "cut the heads off of pikes", as cutting a 9'-16' long, 1"-1 3/4" pole being hand held is a bit tough, not to mention a huge waste of energy. Especially when you're now tasking these soldiers to slip off to the side after hacking at poles for a bit... Happy

At any rate, I haven't stumbled upon *ANY* written documentation about Great swords and their tactical roles with pike squares, or their role in 16th century warfare in general (aside from guarding the Ensign), but I'm pouring through the artwork, and gleaning bits here and there, and hoping to eventually end the debates... Happy
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 4:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

After getting past the points of the pikes I don't the think the pikemen would able to do much more than die or drop their pikes and take hold of their conviently short katzbalger were they may get close enough to the twohanded swordman and take him out.

These guys got paid double for a reason: They might be able to cause chaos for a short time before becoming casualties.

A window of invulnarability preceded and followed by high odds of getting killed.

What would make this useful and not just a suicidal waste would be THE follow up by the intact opposing pikemen if they move in fast before the broken up and confused pikemen could reform, recover their pikes or reserves fill in the gap.

To survive the swordman should avoid closing in too close and get " rapidly " out of the way of the rapidly closing in pikemen on his side: Needs close support !

( Again, logical, I hope, guesswork here as I am not supporting this with any historical examples or practical experience. )
( Note: If one is stating opinion or conjecture with strong forceful language its important to make it clear that the above is not to be taken as statements of facts but more as a questions. )

Oh, from the previous posts I would conclude that at least a company sized group of pikemen would be needed to be a viable tactical unit, with 3 or more companies becoming a real fighting machine.
I still wonder about how few pikemen could still be effective in very small numbers, mostly defensively: How many must there be for it to be a good idea to still use their pikes rather than dropping them in favor of their swords. There must be a minimum number were in ideal conditions they would decide to still use their pikes. (This for small groups of isolated, unsurported by other arms, pikemen and not a balanced small units by choice. )

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean; You pose a good question there as to how many (or rather how few) pikes it would take to make a viable tactical unit. I'll have to speak of English armies, since those are the one's I've studied most, but they, unlike the Spaniards, organized their companies in mixed arms (Pikes, Shotte and Halbards/Bills) and then organized the masses together higglety-pigglety. Must have been awkward for larger formations, but rather better for detailing out small garrisons such as were found in the fighting in the Low Countries.

Oh, one note about organizing Pikes: One of the main reasons that tables of square-roots were such a popular staple of the publishing industry of the 16th Century was to organize these huge masses of men into something that made sense. Having a table of square-roots is handy when trying to figure out just how many men you can put in the front rank with how many in files, with what left over, when starting with a number like 3,253 or something. I guess the Sergeant Major General (who was in charge of such organizing for an army) would know just which captains were cheating on their returns!

Anyway, back to pikes. I would imagine from this that since the smallest "viable" English unit was the Company, and that it (ca. 1585) consisted of between 100-250 soldiers, and the SMALLEST percentage of Pikes would be 40%, then a 40-man "square" would be considered "tactically useable", though pretty minimal. This would include 10% "short weapons" : such as 7% halbards and bills, and 3% targeteers with target and broadsword. The other 50% would be Shotte, either Calivers or Bows, or a mixture there-of (though not after 1595 when Bows were no longer accepted into service). (For some of this, since I don't have immediate access to my files, I'll rely on our Librarian Matthew Kelty for proper documentation, LOL!)

As an example of what numbers were NOT considered viable, when skirmishers were sent out from an English force (Caliver-men generally, or Bows) they were often accompanied by the Halbardeers in case they got into a tighter scrape than they bargained for. Pikes were NOT sent out to skirmish but rather kept in reserve for "the big push". There is a great illustration in Derrick's "Image of Ireland" which shows just this.

Anyway, I hope this sort of goes to answer the question!

Cheers,

Gordon

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 10:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon;

Yes it does: Any small group of pikemen would not be out by themselves by choice and pikes are only useful in large groups.

As an individual weapon not viable: Drop the pike, take out your sword, run .............. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 2:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Gordon;

Yes it does: Any small group of pikemen would not be out by themselves by choice and pikes are only useful in large groups.

As an individual weapon, not viable: Drop the pike, take out your sword, run .............. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

Jean;

That would be my take on it. George Silver (as quoted at length above!) seemed to think that a half-pike was a serviceable defensive weapon for an individual, but I don't suspect that many advocated a 16' pike for the average fellow to pack around as his defensive arm, Big Grin But once you get to some "critical mass" (40-50; 100-200?) it becomes as seriously viable weapons system.

And yes, dropping it and running was always a rational option, especially when the guys around you had already done the same thing!

Cheers,

Gordon

Justin White-Lowther

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 4:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gordon Frye wrote:
George Silver (as quoted at length above!) seemed to think that a half-pike was a serviceable defensive weapon for an individual, but I don't suspect that many advocated a 16' pike for the average fellow to pack around as his defensive arm, Big Grin

Welll... Silver did also say that in single combat the full pike had the advantage over all hand weapons except the polearms of perfect length (quarterstaff, "forest bill"/"Welch hook", partisan, glaive). But of course what's "advantageous" has nothing to do with what's "convenient"... for all that Silver promotes the "short sword" over the rapier, he seems to recognize it as justifiable only as a sidearm or as offensive support for a shield, since his system ranks the sword below every polearm.

That said, the idea of dropping your pike for a shorter weapon when the enemy gets too close is also present in Silver; it's described in his single pikeman vs. single pikeman method (Brief Instructions 14):

7. If you find that he lies far out of the right line with his point or that you can so far indirect the same then cast your pike out of your hands, cross over upon the middle of his pike, by which means you shall entangle his pike, then while he does strive to get his pike at liberty, run you in suddenly drawing your dagger & strike or stab at him.

8. Then if he has the perfection of this fight as well as you, he will be ready with his dagger as you are with yours, then must you fight it out at the single dagger fight as is shown in the 15th chapter: then he that has not the perfection of that fight goes to ruin.
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Due to what Silver had to say on the matter and how di Grassi goes into detail on how to duel with the pike, I strongly disagree with the idea that it was useless in single combat. Given room to move about, a single pikeman would do just fine against a lone swordsman. I can't source it, but I remember an account of a battle in which a captain with a halberd and a captain with a pike dueled. The guy with the pike won.

In middle of a tight melee or any other situation in which space is restricted is another matter though. Certainly then the length of a pike can be a disadvantage in many places.

As for hacking up shafts, I agree it's a silly thing to try in single combat (as Swetnam says), but I'm not convinced it was a bad idea in battle. Di Grassi clearly writes about cutting up pikes with a partisan; he seems to have accepted it as a reasonable practice.
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 6:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, in a duel where it would be decided what weapons would be used...I guess, why not use a pike? But if there was a chance on someone closing in and getting farther in than the effective arc and stabbing range of the pike. I sure as heck would want something more manageable to fight with. I just wouldn't like the idea that the killing part of my weapon was feet behind the guy with the sword. Fighting is skill, but living through it takes a lot of luck, so yeah, I suppose pikes could defeat shorter weapons in one on one combat. I am very limited however in my knowledge of the pike.
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Sat 28 May, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well I did suggest that if caught in the situation of one pikemam or a small group cutting the pike in half would give you a usable spear. If time permited this might be a better option than just loosing the pike: You would have your backup weapons of sword and dagger and maybe a bucker + what would now be a spear .

I would assume for this to be useful that the pikemen would be trainned in shorter spear techniques, if not we are back to just drop the pike.

I do remenber an old samurai film were there are a series of duals between a samurai armed with a very long yari winning contests of skill against shorter spears and swords. In this case the use of the very long yari was his specialty, so the advantages and weaknesses of the weapon were being used to maximum efficacity by a master spearman.

Now this may just have been a movie, but the martial arts of "classic " samurai films tended to be closer to real use than the usual Hollywood low standard.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Why do you love polearms?
Page 5 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: