Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can I have my Del Tin blade cut down? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Can I have my Del Tin blade cut down?         Reply with quote

I have a Del Tin 5150. I find it's a little long for me, and I sometimes think about having it cut down. Taking a few inches off the tip might make a world of difference in it's balance. I find it rather point heavy really.

Is this feasible, or would it just ruin the blade? (IE, expose softer internal steel, and ruin the temper?) I'd hate to damage it, I just would like to modify it, or have it modified.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome, George. Happy Here's a thread I started on this very subject a while back. http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t...rten+blade
It appears that the main consideration is not getting the blade too hot while cutting/filing it, which would ruin the temper. Happy
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2005 3:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

interisting.... thanks!

Still, I'd very much like to hear from those who have, by accident or intent, seen the inside of a Del Tin blade. Mine was bought from MRL way back when they offered Del Tin blades.

I'm sort of afriaid I'll make the cut, and find soft iron inside..... you know? The standerd paranoia of the fellow who is worried about screwing up one of the nice things he owns whilst trying to make it better.

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2005 6:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
interisting.... thanks!

Still, I'd very much like to hear from those who have, by accident or intent, seen the inside of a Del Tin blade. Mine was bought from MRL way back when they offered Del Tin blades.

I'm sort of afriaid I'll make the cut, and find soft iron inside..... you know? The standerd paranoia of the fellow who is worried about screwing up one of the nice things he owns whilst trying to make it better.

I'm certainly not a metallurgical expert but I don't think that there is softer iron inside. These swords aren't made with a laminate construction like Japanese swords after all. I've always thought that they were tempered all the way through uniformly. Anyone else have thoughts on this matter or care to set me straight if I'm incorrect?

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 16 May, 2005 7:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
interisting.... thanks!

Hi George

Before I became a swordmaker, I collected swords, mainly Del Tins. The early DTs were CK55, which is thru hardened and tempered. The later ones, just before the switch to WS were made of 6150 {still are to the best of my knowledge}. Either way, you can safely modify your blade by being careful to not overheat it...... at 50rc that's going to be a chore....

I have done this in the past, modified Del Tins. Before ever thinking of making swords myself, I made a project of modifying a DT I owned, then did another......

So yeah, it can be done.......

swords are fun
Mat Billings

PostPosted: Tue 17 May, 2005 7:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I remember cutting a blade down once; as has been mentioned, if you keep an eye on the blade temperature, it can be done without difficulty. I cut down a blade a while back using a hacksaw; the trick with this method is in finding a hacksaw blade harder than a del tin blade. One thing you won't want to do, is use say, a zip disk mounted on an angle grinder or other such powered methods; I highly recommend doing it by hand, as it allows for more temperature control. As too there being softer iron inside...there isn't; the blades are made through a process known as stock removal ( http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_groundpound.html)It'll probably cut a lot easier and cooler if you use cutting fluid religiously during the process; hope this helps.

( [url]http://www.myArmoury.com/feature_deltin.html [/url])

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Can I have my Del Tin blade cut down?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic