Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hardness of some major brand swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 1:33 am    Post subject: Hardness of some major brand swords         Reply with quote

I've received my pack of flexbar hardness testing files today and did the test for the following swords at my home. Here are the results:

My tinker : above 50 below 55 HRC (2001 model, forte)

Atrim short sword : above 50 below 55 HRC (forte)

Albion Brescia Spadona : 40 to 45 HRC, seems closer to 40 though at forte, 55 HRC at the edge 4 inches from the tip

Fred Chen 1050 Carp Jian : above 50 below 55 HRC (forte)

Paul Chen Pudao: above 50 below 55 HRC, seems closer to 50 though (forte)

Arms and Armors German Bastard Sword : 45 to 50 HRC (forte)

Lung Chuan consignment swords ( http://www.rsw.com.hk/so5.htm ) : below 40 HRC (forte)

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk

Last edited by Lancelot Chan on Mon 30 May, 2005 11:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Albion is pretty soft. It wouldn't hurt to increase the hardness a few points.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Hardness of some major brand swords         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
Albion Brescia Spadona : 40 to 45 HRC, seems closer to 40 though

That's softer than I'd want it. I wasn't able to find a place on Albion's site that specs this out, but I'd imagine they're shooting for 45+ RC. Assuming you're accurate, I'd say the combination of the low hardness with your over-sharpened (compared to Albion's standard) edge, I'd say somebody royally screwed up your particular Brescia. I still maintain that that particular model is wrong for your needs, but you'd have to agree that it would be nice to verify that your sword is a good example of how that model is intended to leave the shop. Hardness isn't everything, and accurately measuring it with files is difficult and very localized to the area measured (the extreme edge), but it will be interesting to have Albion respond with an explanation of the intended hardness range for their weapons. At least, that would be interesting to me.

It's worth noting that your measured results for the other American makers are fairly consistent with what they publish for their wares.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hardness of some major brand swords         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Lancelot Chan wrote:
Albion Brescia Spadona : 40 to 45 HRC, seems closer to 40 though

That's softer than I'd want it. I wasn't able to find a place on Albion's site that specs this out, but I'd imagine they're shooting for 45+ RC. Assuming you're accurate, I'd say the combination of the low hardness with your over-sharpened (compared to Albion's standard) edge, I'd say somebody royally screwed up your particular Brescia.

Did the sword have a sharper than normal edge or not? I read that claim on SFI but Lance refuted that he had requested a sharper edge and then the thread was locked.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Hardness of some major brand swords         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
Did the sword have a sharper than normal edge or not? I read that claim on SFI but Lance refuted that he had requested a sharper edge and then the thread was locked.

Yes, Kenneth. I just said that. And if you read the SFI topic, you'll see that the edge on Lance's sword was sharper than Albion's standard model. No. Lance didn't request a non-standard edge.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 2:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan was right that I didn't ask for a sharper edge than original.

BTW, since the test require a small surface, it couldn't be done RIGHT on the edge line. I did it as close to the edge as possible, though. For example, in the Spadona's case, I did it along the secondary bevel area it has. Also double checked on the flat side too. Not big difference. (can't notice any difference... and ended up scratching my sword a larger area hahha)

Yet, to minimize the scratches' visible effects, I did these hardness test on the forte area, not at the tip of the sword. But I dun think an unhardened tang would mean an unhardened forte either. I avoid doing this too close to the cross guard either just to be fair.

Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 2:36 am    Post subject: Re: Hardness of some major brand swords         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Kenneth Enroth wrote:

Yes, Kenneth. I just said that. And if you read the SFI topic, you'll see that the edge on Lance's sword was sharper than Albion's standard model. No. Lance didn't request a non-standard edge.

I rered the thread and it would be best to get clarification from Albion if Lance's Brescia has a sharper edge and why it was applied since he hadn't requested it?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Hardness of some major brand swords         Reply with quote

Kenneth Enroth wrote:
I rered the thread and it would be best to get clarification from Albion if Lance's Brescia has a sharper edge and why it was applied since he hadn't requested it?

Monday is a holiday here in the states, so it's likely we'll have to wait until Tuesday.

Thomas McDonald
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 5:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your report, Lance !
The interesting thing about your Bresia reading is that it's probably spot on to the originals rc !

Mac

'Gott Bewahr Die Oprechte Schotten'
XX ANDRIA XX FARARA XX
Mac's PictureTrail
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

HRc40-45 is spot on in the 'average' hardness range for the (relatively few) medieval swords that have been tested to the best of my knowledge. One cannot fault Albion if this is the intended hardness done in the interestss of historical accuracy. However this makes it somewhat unsuited to Mr.Chan's- and perhaps other customer's needs. If this is deliberate it would be a good idea for Albion's marketing to reflect this so that furure customers with needs similar to Mr.Chans will not be disssapointed.
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Martial Art Swords Sun Flower Classic Katana : 55 to 50 HRC at edge, close to 55 HRC. Spine 45 to 50 HRC.
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thomas McDonald wrote:
Thanks for your report, Lance !
The interesting thing about your Bresia reading is that it's probably spot on to the originals rc !

Mac

Hi Mac

I don't know that the original has been tested, and without knowing, I think its a dangerous guess of where the hardness might be, or how uniform it might be......

I've had a couple of conversations with the renowned Craig Johnson on this, and the average, is just that an average. Tested meaurements run from the mid 30's rc, to the mid 50's rc. Earlier in the year, there were two conversations that touched on this, one on SFI, and one here.....Craig was a part of both of them.......

swords are fun
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

From collecting mostly modern folding knives and fighters I was used to consider 55rc as minimal acceptable hardness and 58rc to 60rc as " normal " .

I have now gotten used to the idea that swords around 50rc is both historically correct and a better balance between hardness and flexibility: Now low 40rc and 30rc seem rather " SOFT " Eek! Eek! Eek!

Now the hardness scale may not be very linear as in 25rc is half as hard as 50rc. ( I just don't know ???? )

What is the harness of dead soft un-heatreated 1075 ?

I assume from other posts that there is more difference between a dead soft blade and 40rc than there is berween 50rc and 58rc.

So how soft is SOFT, 30rc to 40rc ???

Now I can see that for reasons of historical accuracy many collectors would want swords to have a hardness the same as that of an original. Personally I like having the sword look exactly like the historical one it is duplicating but wouldn't mind having it harder if harder, within reason, made it a better sword. Hey, if it could be made of " UNOBTAMIUN " that would cut diamonds like butter, would never need sharpening, and could support the weight of an M1 Abrams tank without bending more than an inch I wouldn't mind that at all. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Well if Lancelot's sword has a softer than Albion SPECIFICATIONS for this sword + being ground with a finer edge than standard ( Honest mistake there. ) I think a replacement sword should at least be considered.

For the use Lancelot intended this may not be the ideal sword considering the cost. ( Unless he is O.K. with the fact that frequent use will do some damage to the sword, as we have already discussed too much already. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 10:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

What is the harness of dead soft un-heatreated 1075 ?

)

I shouldn't answer for Albion, but when experimenting with 1065 and 1075 in the past, I had it subannealed before machining. It then tested 18 to 20 rc on the C scale {the most commonly used scale, of which we're talking now}. This low, the C scale is considered inaccurate, but it should give you an idea......

The 5160 I work with is also subannealed, to the same level......The subannealing is more important though for its stress relief properties, and making the material more consistent, than the actual reduction in hardness.

swords are fun
Thomas Hoogendam

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oke guys, this is making me a bit un-easy. I was planning on ordering an Albion Knight. But after reading this, I'm getting a bit ancious.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 11:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Intersting stuff in this discussion. I commend Lance for taking this initiative. Now we need to be patient since all specualtion right now is based on a sample of 1, with no word from the maker whether the subject sword is representative of what they are trying to achieve.

*edit to fix spelling.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Mon 30 May, 2005 7:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

All we can do is speculate, until somebody from Albion chimes in. Interesting to note the hardness of the Chen Pudao. Eek! There's been some complaint in the past about the padao and it's shorter brother, the dadao, being too soft. I woudn't call 50+RC "too soft." The dadao and pudao are some of the few Asian weapons that really interest me, and that I've considered buying, so this is good news. Happy Thanks, Lance! Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Intersting stuff in this discussion. I commend Lance for taking this initiative. Nowwe need to be patient since all specualtion right now is based ona sample of 1, with no word from the maker whether the subject sword is representative of what they are trying to achieve.

Exactly! Thank you, Joe. This goes to that all-important word: context.

Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 12:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

'As rolled' 5160 SS is considered 'half-hard' and typically arrives at my shop with a hardness of approximately HRc 23-35. Gus's sub-anneal reduces this and stress relieves the steel- not necessary for me as our processes differ. 'Dead-soft' 1075 is likely to be in the HRc13-18 range- but as Gus specified, the machines used to test on the Rockwell scale become less accurate below a certain threshold hardness.

Thomas- I would not worry too much as yet- this is after all only one sword. Heat treatment of swords is tricky, and there have been no other substantiated claims of softness of thier swords. It could be an isolated incident. If you are nervous simply ask Albion to determine the blades hardness or simply agree to accept the return of the sword or to replace it under warranty if it is found to be too soft. Given Albion's record for customer service I doubt this will be a problem.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If the historically accurate hardness ranges from the mid 30's to the mid 50's IMO modern swords should be in the upper range, not the lower.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hardness of some major brand swords
Page 1 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: