Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hardness of some major brand swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Joe Fults wrote:

Mods, If it would be Ok with everyone I'd like to request this be a seperate thread.

I think it could be a very intersting topic, but it seems distracting as part of this thread.

Thanks.

Which part should be a separate topic? This topic is about the relative heat-treat of various maker's blades. Which part would you separate?

How or if makers check hardness of blades before they go out the door.

Initially posted by Marcos Cantu.

It seems like it lends itself to a quality control discussion, which I find interesting since its not something I can ever recall discussing. I know I'm expanding the scope of the initial post a bit, but I always see people mention quality control issues with certian vendors. However, I don't know that I've ever seen a discussion of what QC should be in this industry. Ultimately if any company has a QC issue, its a very fixable process problem that should not be persistant. At some point a QC issue is a quality issue, which changes the value proposition for the customer.

Guess I'm curious what best practice quality standards are, or should be, for swordmakers.

Does that make sense at all or am I staying up too late. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 8:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Joe. Makes sense now. I think it's a good broad topic so I'll keep it all together since, so far, we're keeping with the blade hardness/heat-treat conversation.

I also happen to agree think the whole issue of QC deserves it's own topic, frankly, that is inclusive of all things relating to keeping products consistent when they leave the doors. It's such a small industry with small companies and even smaller margins that I imagine putting in an effective system for consistent QC is a daunting task. But that's another topic Happy

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 9:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For our further information, I'll do a hardness check on the tip of spadona anyway after I'm back from mailing swords out. I'm curious too.
Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
George Hill

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
For our further information, I'll do a hardness check on the tip of spadona anyway after I'm back from mailing swords out. I'm curious too.

Lance, just for referance, can you do it RIGHT on the damage spot?

Also, I'm still reading up on heat treating, but would it be possible to test every sword, say, on the tang?
Oh, That's my assumption that the exterior would be even, atleast on the surface. Is that a serious error on my part?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania

Last edited by George Hill on Mon 30 May, 2005 10:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 10:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Thanks, Joe. Makes sense now. I think it's a good broad topic so I'll keep it all together since, so far, we're keeping with the blade hardness/heat-treat conversation.

I also happen to agree think the whole issue of QC deserves it's own topic, frankly, that is inclusive of all things relating to keeping products consistent when they leave the doors. It's such a small industry with small companies and even smaller margins that I imagine putting in an effective system for consistent QC is a daunting task. But that's another topic Happy

In that respect I think we 'custom' makers have it easier- we produce far fewer total swords, and generally make them one at a time. But for production makers it is a different can of worms altogether. With heat treat it is quite tricky- if you want precise information it takes expensive testing equipment. The cheaper alternative (Lance's files) only tells you with 5 point HRc- but if you are pushing the envelope a couple points of hardness makes a big difference. I can cut steel at HRc48 on my bandsaw- I can't cut HRc50 steel. Add to this that the eccentric cross section of swords makes it very difficult for standard professional equipment to test... It's not as hopeless a business as it sounds, however.

When I first started out I was faced with a lot of problems- varying blade sections caused variations in hardness, warpage and sabering. Investigation showed that if I spent money on high-tech abrasives I could grind after heat treat- which solves a lot of problems as long as you keep it cool enough. I also live in a place with an extensive aerospace industry that requires a lot of sophisticated heat treaters, and I was able to find a professional outfit that was honest and could do a good job for me- In fact most of the sword and knife makers in the area that send out heat treat use this same firm now. This simplifies life a lot- I never have had to worry about heat treat. They have all the expensive equipment and test rigs already.

It should also be noted that not all steels are equal. Many alloy steels contain elements that cause them to repond better- or worse- to heat treat. Nor are all heat treating processes equal- too low a temperature at quench means a lot of retained undesirable structures. Too high a temperature makes for excessive grain growth. Too short a soak at temperature means inadequate heat (and consequently hardness) in the thicker portions of the steel. If the soak at critical temperature is too long you burn too much carbon out of the blade. Likewise an oxidising atmosphere can reduce the steels carbon content near the surface. If the quench tank media is the wrong type or too cool you can get fractures- the blade can snap or spall or worse yet micro-fracture so that the blade fails in use. It is possible to goof it badly enough to produce a blade that is both soft and brittle!

The best thing a production maker can do is to thoroughly understand the processess involved and maintain the tightest possible controls over each step of the process and do enough ongoing testing to maintain a reasonable confidence in the end results. Just my two cents worth.

Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 10:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I grinded the spot out already so I can only test at the relative area. Plus, the test can't be done on the edge line. It requires a small surface area for me to scratch with the files.

George Hill wrote:
Lancelot Chan wrote:

Lance, just for referance, can you do it RIGHT on the damage spot?

Also, I'm still reading up on heat treating, but would it be possible to test every sword, say, on the tang?
Oh, That's my assumption that the exterior would be even, atleast on the surface. Is that a serious error on my part?

Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 30 May, 2005 10:59 pm    Post subject: Good news         Reply with quote

Tested the spadona on 4 inches from the tip, on the edge as close as possible (and scratched the edge at the end, resharpened a bit). 55 HRC

Hardness at the edge at mid length of blade is betweew 50 to 55 HRC.

Hardness at the forte above the area I tested yesterday was between 45 to 50 HRC.

The hardness is indeed varying along the length.

Double checked on Tinker's 2001 model at the tip. Consistent hardness with the forte's hardness.

Does it indicate different design approach?

Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

Tangs are often left quite soft. This would be a poor indication of the rest of the blade. As we see from Lance's results, there is a difference of ten points, or more, from one end to the other.

All in all, it sounds like a nice sword that is quite capable.

I chopped through a #10 steel can, lengthwise, with my A&A GBS and the rolled edges of the can left two little deformations to the edge. They went away with a couple of strokes of a pocket stone.

I have pounded the edges of a Trim sword on heavy, silica laden, cardbord and when they dull, they get sharpened.

Cheers

GC
Glen A Cleeton

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 1:06 am    Post subject: Re: Good news         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
Tested the spadona on 4 inches from the tip, on the edge as close as possible (and scratched the edge at the end, resharpened a bit). 55 HRC

Hardness at the forte above the area I tested yesterday was between 45 to 50 HRC.

Double checked on Tinker's 2001 model at the tip. Consistent hardness with the forte's hardness.

Hi Lance,

To me, it sounds purposeful but the Albion guys will be able to say for sure. Whether in the way it was heated/quenched or tempered is hard to say.

I know Tinker does some tricks too.

Kris Cutlery medieval swords and daggers have soft bodies and hard edges and the forte is left soft, edge to edge. They have a graphic somewhere on their pages of depth (breadth) of hardness on their various blades.

Cheers

GC

Last edited by Glen A Cleeton on Tue 31 May, 2005 2:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 2:24 am    Post subject: Re: Good news         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:

Boom. Many answers questioned. The concerns I expressed earlier regarding heat-treat are relieved.. for me.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 4:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will add some info on this question.

First I must point out that I cannot answer this like someone who do day to day work at Albion. I visit two times each year and stay two weeks each time. Every time we do go through various heat treat and grinding details among man other things.
Every time I have checked with the rough and reaydy method of hardness files I have got hardness slightly below 55 HRC in the edge. This is a good hardness for this steel. It offers a good combination of resiliency and edge holding.
The inner area of the sword will grow slightly softer as it grows thicker towards the spine. This effect is more noticeable in thicker blades than wider thinner blades. One should not be concerned about this effect. It is natural and can actually be used as a positive thing since only the edge needs to reach enough hardenss to carry the sharpness, whle the body of the blade should be treated for maximum resiliency. This is acheived by balancing hardness, grainsize and cross sectional design of the sword. Varying hardness is a natural result of different cooling rates as a function of increasing thinckness. The body of the blade neeeds to have a tough spring temper. It must flex but not take a set.
Cutting tests and penetration tests I´ve myself done on hard targets like steel drums and solid wood yields good results= in extreme cases (like cutting into solid angle iron) only minimal edge damage (some 0.1 mm sise of notch). Such nicks are easily honed away. In majority of cases the edge is not damaged at all.
This shows a good combination of cross section, edge angle, and heat treat for steel used. These factors belongs together and really cannot be discussed separately.

The results Lance has got showing a softer area towards the forte can be a result of several factors. I really can´t say what is the most likely, but some possibilities are:
-Odd, unusual and unfortunate variation in the heat treat. This is really something that is out of the ordinary from what I´ve seen of the methods applied, but this could be that rare unlycky blade. Veryunfortunae if that should be the case that such a blade has slipped through QC.

-Possible overheating in grinding in this very area: seems unlikely to me, but it is a possibility. The only thing that could anbsver this is if Jason steps in and gives his input on the routines. What I´ve seen of his work makes me think it very unlikely indeed, but it could still be an explanation.

-One should note that on originals the forte is usually softer than the sharp business part of the sword. The first few inches of the blade is often seen being temepred to a blue and this coincides with a blunter edge finish in this area. Toughness was what was looked for, not hardness.
I do not think this blade was heat treated with an increase in softness towards the forte, since that is not the method developed for the heat treat at Albion. If so it would be in line with originals, but this is not the way things are set up at Albion. With steels and heat treat methods used a high toughness is acheived with a good margin all the way through the forte even at full heat treat.

-This could be one of those odd swords that have gone through the process with an un-noticed problem. The problem is not really a fatal one since the toughness at the base makes for a resilient blade, but to me a hardness of 40-45 HRC is not up to the qulaity level to be expected. I would not regard this as a normal or natural situation for a NG Albion sword.

Note that it was not the *edge* that gave the result but a place behind the edge: not an excuse, but still a fact.
The hardness behind the edge *will* always be lower than at the very edge. 40-45 HRC still seems low to me. I would rather expect a hardess of some 48-50 HRC some 8-10 mm behind the edge, depending on cross section. A wider thinner blade would have a wider section at high hardness. At the forte the hard edge will be more narrow.

I am really very sorry that this sword keeps raising all these quesitons about quality, since I know it to be a good design, an interesting sword and a highly accurate reconstruction. It seems to me that it also has been focus of scrutiny like few other swords on the market. That possible shortcomings in one single specimen should cast a shadow on a line of more than 50 swords also feels a bit strange, but I guess that is how things run in a market that is so rife with empty claims and hollow marketing hype. Customers tend to jump at the worst possible conclusion. *I* know what goes into the research, design and production of these swords. But I am also closely engaged in their creation and so my voice will of course be partial even if I strive to be objective.
I have invested six years of my life in the development of the NG line of swords. I do not engage in this because it is a way to grow rich. I do it because it is the only way to make available quality swords to demanding customers at a price that is much lower than a weapon of the same quality would cost if made by a custom smith. The guys at Albion can testify I am not easy to please when it comes to quality issues. Therefore this thread cuts close to my heart.
I would not do this work if I did not beleive in what Albion is doing every day in the workshop, building one sword at a time for demanding customers. I know their dedication. To have the Brescia picked apart on the internet is a bit like having your child publicly examined for possible health issues. I will grow a thicker hide in time, but believe me it is hard to not get emotional about all this Worried Wink
In the end I hope that Lance will find a sword he is happy with. If the cannot learn to love the Brescia Spadona, he should sell it (or talk to Mike at Albion for a possible replacement...?) and get something that better suits his needs and expectations. I think he could find a sword in the NG line, or otherwise turn to some other maker that builds swords according to a different philosophy.
Please also not that Albion offers a generous guarantee: if some thing is wrong with material or craftsmanship, they will replace the sword. Issues will unfortunately happen from time to time, since these swords are made by human beings. The only way to relae to this in an honorable way is to offer a guarantee to cover such situations. I know Albion is honestly concerned about having happy customers. Quality is at the very core at all stages of development and production.

Thank you
Peter
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks, Peter, for an honest and informative post.

There we have it, folks, straight from the source. Is there an issue? Possibly. Does this one instance speak for Albion's entire product line, customer service, or integrity as a company? I'd say no. Taking this to a broader level, all of the big-hitters have philosophies of a similar nature - they make an excellent product, and they stand behind it. If something isn't satisfactory to a customer, I'd bet every one of them would work very hard to make it right. These pieces are all made through the efforts of exceedingly tallented craftsmen. Once in a while, there will be a piece that isn't as perfect as the rest. Let's either fix it or accept it, and go forward.

Do I have concerns about this particular incident? Yes. I hope it never arises again. Will I continue my relationship with Albion? I have plans for quite a few more pieces, starting this weekend.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 5:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I know It's off-topic but I have to say that I am a very happy customer of Albion. Before I bought my sword, I carefully made a comparison between several models and manufacturers. Then I decided to buy a Squire Line Knightly sword from Albion. This is a great sword , and seeing how the cheapest sword of their line was of such a quality, I decided to acquire something "real" (I mean the same sword but with sharp edges and an exceptional finish) , so I choosed the Next Gen Laird. Now I have it and it's far better than expected, thanks to Peter Johnsson and the Albion team.
I have not yet tried to use it against targets (even bottles or pool noodles) but I know that if I do it, I'll have to expect some wear signs, just as with my garden tools, and I won't be surprised nor disappointed.
And if I had the opportunity to buy another sword right now, it would be an Albion.

David
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Good news         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Lancelot Chan wrote:

Boom. Many answers questioned. The concerns I expressed earlier regarding heat-treat are relieved.. for me.

Thanks for doing a further test Lance. That answers many of my concerns.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the response Peter, informative and honest as always.

It's unfortunate that the Brescia has been the subject of so much controversy, but I think everyone involved can learn a lot from this experience.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Thank you for the response Peter, informative and honest as always.

It's unfortunate that the Brescia has been the subject of so much controversy, but I think everyone involved can learn a lot from this experience.

I agree and would like to add that somewhere along the line this seemed to move beyond a Bresica discussion. It seemed to transform into an effort by many of us to understand, not just throw opinions at things.

Thanks to eveyone for sharing.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Marcos Cantu

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that the reason people are so interested in this topic is not that they want to pick apart an Albion sword, but that many are scared to put expensive swords through tough cutting tests that may damage the blade. The fact that Lance puts his swords through these tests gives us a chance to live vicariously through him and get a sense of what to expect from a sword that we may be too attached (emotionally/financially) to to see damaged in any way.
George Hill

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I'm decided. I'll buy an Albion.

Now will someone please give me the money to do that with?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 10:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks PJ for your info. I've shot Mike an email to see if I can get a replacement with more consistent blade hardness along the length and original sharpness or not. We'll see how it turns out.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 31 May, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Best wishes Lancelot and as Marcos suggested your putting an expensive sword to the test is something we are all learning from while many of us will " baby " ours avoiding any damage. Well a lot of us are more collectors than users!

Hope things get resolved to your satisfaction.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Last edited by Jean Thibodeau on Wed 01 Jun, 2005 8:22 am; edited 1 time in total

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hardness of some major brand swords
Page 3 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: