Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hardness of some major brand swords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next 
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 7:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
Thanks PJ for your info. I've shot Mike an email to see if I can get a replacement with more consistent blade hardness along the length and original sharpness or not. We'll see how it turns out.

Hey Lance!

One thing to be aware of before you continue your plans: There will always be a varying hardness in the blade towards the forte of a sword made from carbon steel.

This effect is best known and observed in the Japanese Katana. The hamon is always very narrow at the base of the blade and typically grows wider towards the point. This is a nataural effect of changing cooling rates in different thicknesses of the blade. The clay coating of the katana makes this more visible and also manipulates the effect to varying degrees. In a katana this is viewed as part of the beauty and design of the blade. IT is actuallyappreciated as an aspect of quality. A varying hardness in a european sword should not be seen as a flaw. It is part of the design, or a natural cause of the blade shape, if you like. This effect can be made good use of if you let the cross section of the blade vary just right as it grows thinner towards the point. This effect is most easily observable when simple carbon steels are used for the blade, less so when tool steels are used. These modern steels will also show a varying hardness, but less so and probably less than what is obvious when a hardess file is used for testing.

I have spent much time thinking about your test results since I last posted one day ago, Lance. On second thought I do not think the results are that surpricing or perhaps even that detrimental. I cannot really say without seeing how or what you have done in testing.
Without knowing where the tests were made it s very difficult to know if the result shows a flaw or just a natural and actually beneficial effect.
We know that historical european swords show great variation in hardness when tested. I think there is more to this that we often realise.
Results showing varying hardenss is partly an effect like the one you observed in the Brescia Spadona: the blade will always show different hardenss in different parts. It is not so strongly expressed as the Japanese katana, but not totally different either: the spine will be softer and the edges harder, the base will be softer and the point harder. IN a quality ´word this is actually as it should be; expecting otherwise will invite other problems. At the base there might be a rather narrow line that has "full" hardness with most of the material behind it showing a mix of martensite, bainite and fine pearlite. This structure makes for good resiliency in a carbon steel blade. If you test the hardness somewhere behind the edge you will see a lower hardness than if you test the very edge. This is nothing to be concerned about. It is just how these things go.
Most people are not aware of this effect, its reasons or effects. Most only know to expect a hardenss around 55 HRC in a quality sword. At the base of the blade you need a high level of resiliency, not neccesarlily a high hardness.

Archaeolometallurgists who do tests on ancient swords often get strange and surpricing results that seems to show that knowledge of heat treating was low among ancient smiths. Without having direct proof I do suspect that something is overlooked in the procedure of these tests: the areas of martensitic structure could often have been eaten away by rust. Since only the edge and a relatively thin layer of the "skin" of the blade will reach full martensitic structure in a fine grained medium carbon steel and the core will show vaying degrees of fine pearlite, bainite and some traces of martensite in the outer areas, it is easy to draw the conclusion that the quencing was incomplete if the surface layer and the edges has been eaten away by rust.
If the test is also taken at the base of the blade (where most material is left) the structure will surely show a lower level of hardness than the outer two third of the blade (where the cutting is made and more material is eaten away by rust).
When a test on a blade is made the result will be greatly influenced by the insights in the practises of sword heat treatment that the tester might or might not have.

So, in short: do not expect a sword with a carbon steel blade to show a constant hardness along its complete length. This is not natural. If you choose a steel with a higher alloy content, like a modern tool steel, the hardness will vary less since it responds less in variation in cooling rate (that is why you do not make katanas from high alloy steel: they need to be made of a steel with pretty low hardenability to show an attractive hamon).
You can choose to make swords from a number of different steels within certain limits. Whatever you choose it will infliuence most every work procedure the blade goes through: shaping (forging or stock removal), heat trating, finish grinding and sharpening. You cannot pick one aspect, like hardness, and say it is the most important one. Grainsize is equally important for edge retention and resiliency. You cannot test for grain size with a hardness test.
Hardness is just one af many equally important aspects in a sword blade. Grain size, alloy content, edge type, blade type, distribution of mass, dynamic aspects, cross section...I could go on. A thing like hardness must be blanced against all other factors in a blade. Blade shape, cross section, intended function and steel used are perhaps the most important ones.
If you do not trust the makers philosophy and approach in manufacturing procedures, it might be better to turn to some other maker.

I can understand how at first a result of 40-45 HRC in hardness makes you concerned. Now seeing this in perspectve, I am no longer convinced it actually is that detrimental. If this hardenss is read at the base of the blade and some distance away from the edge, this dramatically changes how we should read the result.
Personally I do not find the exact hardness of the forte of the blade that important. As long as it allows for a spring effect and high resiliency, then all is fine.

The failing of the edge of your sword is not at all relatee issue and must be judged separately. That was the result of other issues: the fineness of the cutting sharpenss, the nature of the target and the fact it was not stationary or moderately mobile (like an attached bodypart), but spinning through the air. All those factors will affect the risk of edge failiure. The level of hardenss at the base of the blade is not a an issue here.

These things are very complex and interact on many levels. It is very difficult to answer this on a thread on a forum like this.
Lance, believe me when I say I welcome your thorough methods in testing. I have found them very interesting to take part of and have certainly learned from them.

From past experiences I have learned that topics on forums discussing the quality of swords often leave an echo of undisolved issues. Swords or even makers can get a stigma: "I heard that the sword XXX is ctually a pound too heavy"..."I know from someone who owns such a sword that it is too soft in the blade"..."I heard on a forum swords from this maker fail in cutting tests"...
It is sad to see how often good discssions boils down to ideas of shallow ignorance.
I do hope our thread on this forum will not lead to such conclusions, but that we instead have all gained a broader understanding.

Best
Peter

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Wed 01 Jun, 2005 7:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Michael Pearce
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think that Peter is spot-on here- 1075 is about as close to a 'period' steel as can be obtained from a steel-mill product and is a very low-alloy steel. It's going to behave more like a period steel as a result- though of course different heat-treating processes will determine the degree to which this is true. Albion made a conscious decision to use the materials and methods they do at least in part to make the most 'accurate' sword that they can. Modern alloys and processes might make for a 'better' sword- but that is very much in the eye of the beholder! I think that of the swords being marketed today Albion's NG line and Museum line are likely to give results closest to what might be expected of a quality 'period' sword- which to many is a value in and of itself! I hope that people will continue to test blades from all manufacturers and report the results honestly- the customer, makers and collecters will all benefit!
Michael 'Tinker' Pearce
-------------
Then one night, as my car was going backwards through a cornfield at 90mph, I had an epiphany...
Jesse Frank
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents, but I don't really see having a slightly lower hardness at the forte as a flaw. That is where a good portion of the stress is going to be, and one does not tend to do the majority of cutting with that area.

As far as I'm concerned, that may show a certain degree of sophistication of heat treatment in some ancient swords. They very well could have been engineered that way.

If it were me, I would be happy with the results of the hardness test Happy

Jesse
Kel Rekuta

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter Johnsson wrote:

I do hope our thread on this forum will not lead to such conclusions, but that we instead have all gained a broader understanding.

Best
Peter

Thank you for this detailed discussion. It has been extremely informative. I expect to revisit this discussion several times as my understanding of steel grows.

Wonderful stuff, gentlemen. Cool
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 8:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This thread could have easily turned into an instance of finger pointing and accusation. Instead, there seems to be quite a bit of very constructive knowledge being exchanged. Thanks to all for approaching this on a mature level, and for turning a potential flame war into something constructive.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Angus Trim

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since my name was brought up in the beginning of this thread, and Peter posted something about heat treat I don't understand, I thought I'd mention my view from my experience on heat treat.........

Nearly six years ago now, I started the swordmaking game working with Michael Tinker Pearce. We started with 1065 for the few blades, but eventually dropped it for 5160 {I don't believe there's more than 4 1065 Tinkerblades swords out there}. We did not drop this steel because of hardness problems, we dropped it because of the exceptional warpage we were experiencing.... meaning that the hardness readings of these blades was similar to what I have now with the 5160. Check the blade's hardness initially at the tang/ shoulder at 52rc, test it down the blade, and it will be within 3rc of the initial test.

Three to four years ago, I tested some 1075, and some 6150. I tested the 6150 because the little bit of Vanadium is supposed to be a good thing, and it likely is, but I dropped it because I prefer the bar stock of the 5160 instead of the sheet 6150, and I like the extra bit of carbon.....

The 1075 had a bit of an advantage over 1065 as it could be hardened enough using oil to quench with. Thus, warpage was not the problem that it was with 1065. The 1075 could be had in the stock sizes of the 5160 I used at the time, which was a potential plus. And it could be hardened as reliably as the 5160, 51 to 53 rc at the base, not more than 3rc harder at the tip.

I dropped the 1075 because 5160 proved to my purposes to be more flexible, more resiliant, hold an edge better, and be less brittle than the 1075 at 52rc..........

But, the important thing is, that if the supply of 5160 became scarce, I could use 1075. I might be better to drop things a couple rockwell points, to 48 to 50 rc, but it would make for a good quality sword steel.......

For my purposes, I'd reject a blade if it had too much variation in hardness. I like uniformity, I like tempered martensite. I like things I can depend on.......

I made my name initially as a swordmaker, by making lighter swords than the general market. In order to do this, the heat treat has to be top notch, and if a sword fails {which has happened} it should be in my mind because the sword was used in a situation that a much larger sword should have been used in.

What I'm trying to say here, is that its alright to have a lot of pearlite in a larger sword, or a sword with a wide, thick forte. But a light slender sword that might be used heavily, had better have a body of tempered martensite, or with the custom guys, maybe lower bainite....... A lot of pearlite in a lighter sword would likely leave the blade vulnerable to taking a set in a pooched cut.......

Modern cutting targets didn't exist "in period". Today's swords could face things like pool noodles, Bugei wara, and water filled milk jugs {meaning no real resistance, very easy targets to cut}, or could easily face more resiliant targets like Mugen Dachi mats, water filled pop bottles, and relatively light cardboard tubes. These latter targets in a pooched cut, could bend a light blade if it wasn't tempered martensite, or lower bainite. The tougher targets, like the heavier cardboard tubes, plywood, pork shoulders, etc, will test a sword even more than the previous targets, edge and body........

Then of course, we get to the real abusive stuff, things like maille, 55 gal steel barrels, and the like.........

Now, heat treat isn't the whole thing. The heat treat though is important, as important as blade geometry {for resiliance and resistance to failure be it taking a set or breaking}, or edge geometry {edge durability}........ I like the odds in my favor, and I like to have as tight an edge geometry as possible, and I like to take as much of the fat out of a blade as I can...... therefore its extremely important for my blades to have a very high percentage of tempered martensite from the tip of the blade to the end of the tang........

This is in reference to the AT reference at the top of the thread. To differentiate between what Peter mentioned, and how I see things. Two very different philsophies in making a sword blade....... Not that one is better than another, just the difference between the two.......

swords are fun
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This could be slightly straying off topic but maybe not if we are talking about edge retention.

Peter Johnsson mentioned that my sword was honed to super sharp level based on my idea 3 years ago in private email exchange. Albion has agreed to ship me a new replacement so this time I want the sword to have an original sharpness on the antique.

Thus, I did a little searching on the original. I happen to have the book Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Longsword by David Lindholm and Peter Svard. On page 219, the last page of Peter Johnsson's article of "What is an edge?", there are diagrams of the cross section of many antique blades at the COP spot.

What caught my eyes are their very fine sharpness. Even the #5 Warsword Svante Nilsson Sture is very sharp on the drawing. Perhaps more than the Brescia Spadona due to the hollow grind effect.

The #3 Brescia spadona on the drawing, doesn't have a secondary bevel. I took my own spadona out and compared the blade geometry by putting the sword on the paper. It turned out if the drawing is indeed accurate to the original, it was even sharper than the one I have on my hand.

So this is a question for Peter. Is the drawing accurate to the original antique cross section and sharpness? If so, then my sword shouldn't be considered "super fine sharpness".

Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 01 Jun, 2005 11:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have been very busy lately and have avoided getting into some of these threads recently. It is pretty late, but hopefully I can add something to the discussion.

The first thing I would like to address is one of the latest things brought up by Gus in grouping different levels of cutting medium. Maile was mentioned as being more abusive, while dead bone was just mentioned as a tougher medium. Personally I don't know that I would agree to that, or at least without being more specific and qualifying it somewhat. It has been mentioned recently as well as numerous other times for as long as I can remember on the forums that bone starts getting hard as soon as the organism dies. I think most understand that cutting rock is bad, there are a lot of rocks I would rather cut than dead bone though. Just saying that maile is more abusive than dead bone is pretty broad. Are we talking modern or period? Is it on a more period type of backing and support, simply hanging, a solid none giving backing, etc...? Hacking at a piece of modern hardened steel mail laying over a piece of wood or something and trying to cleave dead bone are pretty much abuse IMHO. Period iron maile over 1" plus padding on a person is different and wouldn't be the abuse dead bone would be.

One thing I'm seeing, might not be a bad thing even, but people anymore really are expecting more out of their modern swords than what most period swords would deliver. Part may be because of the whole myth that modern made swords are crap compared to the old ones. Part may just be because people like to use their swords for things swords were not really made for. Some just seem to expect certain things out of modern swords, and forget just how many people died at the hands of old bronze and iron swords. From reading some of the studies conducted on older blades, many were pretty much crap to todays standards. The old bronze sword or the old iron sword that might have one steel edge that was hardened did its job. People don't need to kid themselves, it doesn't take much of a sword to do its intended job. Do I want more out of my swords? Without a doubt. Each person out there has to educate themselves enough to know exactly what they want to be able to do with a give sword, and find what best works for the need.

Shane
George Hill

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The issue of dead bone comes up repeatedly.

What I would like to know is just how bone changes after death. It seems to me a dead animal should be an idea sword target, Since this would teach you how to hit actual flesh and get you used to it. IE, forensics can sometimes tell by the stroke in a knife murder if the weilder is experinced or an amature, (Withen reason of course)

So if your goal is to become a modernday swordsman, without dismembering the neighbors, a deer or a pig hung up should be ideal...... Really get you used to dismembering something without those pesky murder charges, and really get a look at what a blade can do to flesh. This is my thought, and the thoughts of many others, see the old cow test, the ARMA deer videos, ect.

But it sounds like the bones turn to stone very quickly.

Just how much harder is a dead bone? Does this vary much by speicies? Should I start a new thread on this subject?

To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

George Hill wrote:
Just how much harder is a dead bone? Does this vary much by speicies? Should I start a new thread on this subject?

Since myArmoury.com is a Web site for collectors of historic arms and armour, it's probably best to post this on a forum that is filled with people who know things about dead animals and the process of decomposition and whatnot. Perhaps you can find a community of crime scene investigators, veterinary science professionals, taxidermists, or morticians.

It’s important to acknowledge that swords are designed to kill and injure living beings, not mutilate and butcher dead animals. Other than the sake of curiosity, understanding the difference between these two things isn’t as important as knowing that they are different. Beyond that, it’s probably best to seek people who have studied such things. The details of the subject are a bit off-topic and out of scope for us here, in my humble opinion.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:
This could be slightly straying off topic but maybe not if we are talking about edge retention.

Peter Johnsson mentioned that my sword was honed to super sharp level based on my idea 3 years ago in private email exchange. Albion has agreed to ship me a new replacement so this time I want the sword to have an original sharpness on the antique.

Thus, I did a little searching on the original. I happen to have the book Sigmund Ringeck's Knightly Art of the Longsword by David Lindholm and Peter Svard. On page 219, the last page of Peter Johnsson's article of "What is an edge?", there are diagrams of the cross section of many antique blades at the COP spot.

What caught my eyes are their very fine sharpness. Even the #5 Warsword Svante Nilsson Sture is very sharp on the drawing. Perhaps more than the Brescia Spadona due to the hollow grind effect.

The #3 Brescia spadona on the drawing, doesn't have a secondary bevel. I took my own spadona out and compared the blade geometry by putting the sword on the paper. It turned out if the drawing is indeed accurate to the original, it was even sharper than the one I have on my hand.

So this is a question for Peter. Is the drawing accurate to the original antique cross section and sharpness? If so, then my sword shouldn't be considered "super fine sharpness".

Lance,
Good of you to scan those drawings. They illustrate very well what I have been trying to get across: There is a difference between cross sectional shape and the sharpening of the cutting edge.
The shape of the cross section is largely responsible for the cutting performance of the sword. How the edge is honed is the "icing of the cake" if you like. A properly made blade wil cut decently on "realistic" targets (0doing incapacitating damage on human beings) even if the very sharpness of the blade is slightly dulledor damaged. The edge is honed to allow for better bite and of course, more effortless cutting.

What you see in the drawings is the macrocosmos of the cutting performance. This is the dimension of actual swords and the general edge angle.
The last sharpening anlge is very different. It is blunter! We are talking about the last 0.25 mm here. A barely visible tread of a line along the edge. It is not even a secondary bevel per se as it is blended into the main edge angle. How you shape this last angle will largely determine degree of "razor sharpness" of the edge. With the same cross section you can vay this last angle quite a bit and it is my belief that this was something that would have varied in historcal times as well, depending on the customers interests. A more acute angle in the honing and you will get a "sharper" sword, a more blunt angle and you will get one that is more robust. An expert swordsman might prefer the sharper mpre acute angle knowing his skill allows him to target the right spots. But for a battle he might prefer to have his blade re-honed in a more blunt angled sharpness for maximum reciliency. ...Just as an example, do not read too much into this. I am not saying this was always done, just that there are good reasons for choosing different types of angles or characters on the edge.

So to answer your worries, Lance: your Brescia was not sharpened in any way that is non-historical or non-auhentic. The Original might well have had this type of cutting sharpness. It could also have been blunter. It depends on the original owners needs and ideals and the situation. The original cutting sharpness does not survive. I am sorry but this is rarely the case. When you look on even very well preserved originals the extremely fine line that once was the cutting sharpness is now in ruins. Just look at any kitchen knife that is left in a drawer. After some time, the edge has been blunted even if the main geometry is intact. You have to study these ruins of shapes carefully to form an idea of their original nature.
Usually an edge is put on the swords that allows for general multy purpose use. That i what the typical user wants. In some cases customers ask for extra cutting performance, wanting to push the limits. This is also possible to do, but it will naturally set other limitations to the use: a specialised edge like this is more exposed to risks of failiure in diffcult targets.

What we have left today in surviving swords is the macrocosmos of the blade: the shape of the cross section. On this cross section you can hone different types of edges without changing the basic criteria. I strongly suspect this is what would have been the case in historic times. By looking at the edge you can determine what type of use the sword is intended for: a more acute sharpening means it will be perfect for precision cutting in softer media. A more obtuse sharpening makes it ideal for heavy duty work. You cannot have both in the same blade at the same time. If you want highly defined swords of high performance you have to be aware of their capabilities. It is like trying to make a four wheel drive truck accelerate like a sports-car or using a Ferrari to till the fields. You do not get any performance since they were never intended for such use. Awareness is the key word here.

You do get the impression that historical swords were very sharp, looking at their dimensions and cross sections and from what survives of their original sharpness. The main edge angle is every bit as acute as on any Katana. Even more in many cases. What is left of the "ruin of the sharpness" is often a very, very fine somewhat blunt line (like the edge of a paper): a witness of their original acuteness. Recently I documented some cut & thrust swords in Solingen. The earliest was from the late 15th C and the latest was from the early 17th C. They all had very fine precise grind and very thin edges. It is not wrong to compare to a chefs knife. One even had hollow ground bevels that transitioned to the cutting edge without any hint of apple seed shape. The only obtusenss in the edge would have resulted from the last honing of the sharpness. That is a very fine edge indeed. Of course they all had marks of use, showing undulating edges where nicks and marks were honed out. Some dings were even still there to see, but there were no major edge failing, no deep nicks where chunks of the blade had been nowcked away, thus the blades were still in shape to be used: just a few passes with a honing stone and you would slice paper floating in the air. The weight of these swords varied between 450 and 820 grams or so.
Specialised weapons, of course.

I´d like to adress something else that relates to this: You often hear discussions about secondary bevels and the Brescia and some other swords are used as an example to show that secondary bevels were used on historical swords.
Another exaple is the sword on the front page of Oakeshotts "Records". These two swords are vry poor examples of this as they do not have secondary bevels. What you see as a secondary edge bevel *IS* the edge bevel. It is too wide to qualify as a secondary bevel. In the case of the Brescia you have a cross section tat is a very flattened octagonal: two central planes that are flanked by rather narrow edge bevels and a fuller down the middle in the upper third of the blade. In my drawing of the cross section of Brescia you can see how sublte the change in angle is between the central planes and the edge bevels. It is like a somewhtat rounded ridge that divide the two.

To get an idea of the shaping of the very sharpness of the edge on any of these blades I have drawn cross sections of, imagine the line following a curve that gradually accellerates in the last fractions before it meets in the sharpnes of the edge.
My father told me when I was kid the importance of knowing your tools: you have to work *with* them, not *against* them. Any tool can be broken. Part of this is understanding what to expect from any tool, and this applies to swords as well. You can never have everything in one single peice. This has nothing to do with what techniques or materials being used in the manufacture of the tool: it is a design and function issue. All objects and tools made and used by mankind have these limits, or possibilities if you like.
To find a tool you wil be happy with you must first define what type of work you are interested in. Choosing a sword based on historical originals will allow you to reference your techniques and ideas to something that will perform like an original would. There is knowledge to be gained from this. Or frustration if tat is you inclination.
If you choose some other tool in your training it will allow for other paths to be taken, but there will instead be other limitations or prerequisits to deal with.
I do not mean this to be defensive and hope it is received as was intended: a discussion about the parameters of function, design, manufacture and use of swords in historical times and today.

Thanks
Peter
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 1:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just for a reference, in historical Japan, cutting human dead body with flesh and bone was done to record how good a sword cut. The tester always used the same hilt (a special made one), same form of cutting and same gripping to isolate subjective factors as much as possible. Then the result would be recorded on document. Sometimes the tang of the blade would be engraved with the result as a promotion too. I suspect that historical Japanese would not take cutting dead body as an abuse as most people on this forum do nowadays. They had their school of "dead body test cutting" that made use of a well-documented stand called toten. Even the height of the toten has a limit.

Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 1:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For the record, Lance, I don't think cutting your pork roast (bones included) is "sword abuse." I do, however, think it's absurd to think that doing so will cause no deformation or change of any kind to the sword's finish and edge. Thinking that a sword will do these things without needing maintenance is not realistic given my own personal experience and what I've learned from reading.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Angus Trim wrote:
Since my name was brought up in the beginning of this thread, and Peter posted something about heat treat I don't understand, I thought I'd mention my view from my experience on heat treat.........

Nearly six years ago now, I started the swordmaking game working with Michael Tinker Pearce. We started with 1065 for the few blades, but eventually dropped it for 5160 {I don't believe there's more than 4 1065 Tinkerblades swords out there}. We did not drop this steel because of hardness problems, we dropped it because of the exceptional warpage we were experiencing.... meaning that the hardness readings of these blades was similar to what I have now with the 5160. Check the blade's hardness initially at the tang/ shoulder at 52rc, test it down the blade, and it will be within 3rc of the initial test.

Three to four years ago, I tested some 1075, and some 6150. I tested the 6150 because the little bit of Vanadium is supposed to be a good thing, and it likely is, but I dropped it because I prefer the bar stock of the 5160 instead of the sheet 6150, and I like the extra bit of carbon.....

The 1075 had a bit of an advantage over 1065 as it could be hardened enough using oil to quench with. Thus, warpage was not the problem that it was with 1065. The 1075 could be had in the stock sizes of the 5160 I used at the time, which was a potential plus. And it could be hardened as reliably as the 5160, 51 to 53 rc at the base, not more than 3rc harder at the tip.

I dropped the 1075 because 5160 proved to my purposes to be more flexible, more resiliant, hold an edge better, and be less brittle than the 1075 at 52rc..........

But, the important thing is, that if the supply of 5160 became scarce, I could use 1075. I might be better to drop things a couple rockwell points, to 48 to 50 rc, but it would make for a good quality sword steel.......

For my purposes, I'd reject a blade if it had too much variation in hardness. I like uniformity, I like tempered martensite. I like things I can depend on.......

I made my name initially as a swordmaker, by making lighter swords than the general market. In order to do this, the heat treat has to be top notch, and if a sword fails {which has happened} it should be in my mind because the sword was used in a situation that a much larger sword should have been used in.

What I'm trying to say here, is that its alright to have a lot of pearlite in a larger sword, or a sword with a wide, thick forte. But a light slender sword that might be used heavily, had better have a body of tempered martensite, or with the custom guys, maybe lower bainite....... A lot of pearlite in a lighter sword would likely leave the blade vulnerable to taking a set in a pooched cut.......

Modern cutting targets didn't exist "in period". Today's swords could face things like pool noodles, Bugei wara, and water filled milk jugs {meaning no real resistance, very easy targets to cut}, or could easily face more resiliant targets like Mugen Dachi mats, water filled pop bottles, and relatively light cardboard tubes. These latter targets in a pooched cut, could bend a light blade if it wasn't tempered martensite, or lower bainite. The tougher targets, like the heavier cardboard tubes, plywood, pork shoulders, etc, will test a sword even more than the previous targets, edge and body........

Then of course, we get to the real abusive stuff, things like maille, 55 gal steel barrels, and the like.........

Now, heat treat isn't the whole thing. The heat treat though is important, as important as blade geometry {for resiliance and resistance to failure be it taking a set or breaking}, or edge geometry {edge durability}........ I like the odds in my favor, and I like to have as tight an edge geometry as possible, and I like to take as much of the fat out of a blade as I can...... therefore its extremely important for my blades to have a very high percentage of tempered martensite from the tip of the blade to the end of the tang........

This is in reference to the AT reference at the top of the thread. To differentiate between what Peter mentioned, and how I see things. Two very different philsophies in making a sword blade....... Not that one is better than another, just the difference between the two.......

Hey,
Good post Gus!
This shows very well the different aspects you have to weigh against each other in the developing of swords and manufactuirng techniques. There are many roads to follow and all have their possibilities and limitations. Most can lead to good results. It all about how you follow the road of I am allowed to grow Philosophcal Wink Happy

I also agree with you that tempered martensite is a good thing. I like it too. I would not make to big a deffierence between us here.
What I mentioned about structure with a mixture of pearlite, bainite and martensite is what I´ve read about originals.
Since the 1075 is not too different from historical steel it will react more on varying cooling rates than a more high alloy steel. If you sometimes in some blades don´t get martensite all the way around the surface of the sword (the core at the ticker parts will always show som mix of other structures) you will observe that the base of the sword is the part ehre there mght be some other sturctures showing. The edge will (or should I say should) have martensitic structure and also the ain parts of the sword where flexing and cutting happens. What I wnated to get across is that some softer structures at the base of the sword, wawy from the edge might not be detrimental, and in the case of carbon steel might even be beneficial.
Not in every case, and especially not in the type of blades you mention: slim lightweight blades for heavy duty. Those need all the tempered martensite they can get.
We are very much in agreement here Gus.

...Can you imagine!?!? Wink Big Grin Cool
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 1:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't play golf,. but if you use a putter to make a drive or a driver to make a putt, the ball may just get to the hole somehow, but you are going to complain that each club was a lousy golf club.

My attempt to rephrase what Peter was just saying about using the right tool, in a different way. ( Not that he didn't explain it very well, but sometimes making a comparison like this might be useful. )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
For the record, Lance, I don't think cutting your pork roast (bones included) is "sword abuse." I do, however, think it's absurd to think that doing so will cause no deformation or change of any kind to the sword's finish and edge. Thinking that a sword will do these things without needing maintenance is not realistic given my own personal experience and what I've learned from reading.

I understood but I think my mind is poisoned already, though... because I did have handled swords that did not require maintenance afterwards, either with thicker final edge line, or thinner final edge line than the spadona. I do want to make it clear that I think the spadona is historical accurate though. That is perhaps how the historical European sword spotting a reasonably sharp edge for dueling use would ended up after each killing cut. (gosh... back to sharpening after winning each duel) That's not counting the contact with another metallic object yet.

Yup, I've learned to accept this.

And now understanding the original antique's final cutting edge didn't survive, it makes me wonder what type of a final cutting edge did I obtained from the spadona. Dueling one or maybe even finer than the dueling one?

Just that I have seen and own European style swords and Asian swords in Hong Kong that don't require that much maintenance after each use.

(now, dun flame me ok?)

Thomas Jason

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

FYI Lance:

The Japanese cutting of dead bodies was considered a form of destructive testing. The cuts were made until wither the blade failed to go the whole way through or the edge sustained a certain level of damage, at which point the cuts were generally ended. Swords that survived were then repolished and returned to the customer.

GEnerally only a single sword that was representative of the maker's work was used in the testing. And even then swords from highly prized makers were not subjected to the tests.
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh, and I think the bone was still alive as was the unfortunate test subject: Usually a criminal already condemmed to death or an unlucky peasant meeting a samurai with an untested new sword. Eek!
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 4:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. Would you mind providing the source of the info so that I can do some more reading myself?

Thomas Jason wrote:
FYI Lance:

The Japanese cutting of dead bodies was considered a form of destructive testing. The cuts were made until wither the blade failed to go the whole way through or the edge sustained a certain level of damage, at which point the cuts were generally ended. Swords that survived were then repolished and returned to the customer.

GEnerally only a single sword that was representative of the maker's work was used in the testing. And even then swords from highly prized makers were not subjected to the tests.

Kenneth Enroth

PostPosted: Thu 02 Jun, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lancelot Chan wrote:

I'd guess that your sword has a standard edge. That "super sharp" theory is just speculation.

As it has been suggested multiple times that the brescia doesn't really fit your needs have you tought about choosing another model as your replacement?

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Hardness of some major brand swords
Page 4 of 8 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: