Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another review of the Brescia SpadonaProduct Review Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Another review of the Brescia Spadona         Reply with quote

The Albion Museum Line Brescia Spadona da Una Mano e Mezza has truthfully been a sword I had been drooling over for quite some time now, for a lot of reasons:

- From a distance, it's somewhat distinctive, but the closer you get, the more beautiful it becomes. It's simple lines, wide cross, twisted grip, and multi-faceted pommel make for a very appealing piece. It clearly whispers "I'm here" from across the room.

- Of all the pieces that are out there throughout history, those of 15th Century Europe hold my interest the most. This is a prime piece from that era.

- The reviews and debates here on this forum piqued my interest in this particular sword. I was exceedingly impressed with the way it handled itself through the tests that have been discussed here. I realize some will disagree, but I was amazed that it held up to the tests as it did. It's just a tool, but damn, what a fine one.

- I was granted the exceedingly good fortune to be able to handle the piece in Atlanta at the blade show. I was able to put it through it's paces - everything short of cutting - behind in an open space. If it were lust before, that all changed, as I truly loved everything about this piece once I had it in hand.

Bottom line, I had to have it, all else be damned. I brought it home, and not a second's regret.

I have spent most of my free time with this piece since returning home. I cleaned and polished it. I nitpicked it, found every single "imperfection". I tested it's dynamics and statistics. I went through the German guards and some drills. I half-sworded. I cut. I cut some more. When I was done with that, I took a break, went back, and cut even more.

I am completely blown away by this sword.

For a hand and a half, this is the best feeling, best performing blade I have EVER had the pleasure of handling. For me, the length is right, balance and harmonics are excellent, grip is comfortable, and the pommel easy to work and work around. I did not wear any gloves. Granted, all this is my own experience, and the synergy between the sword and me. For me, this is perfect.

Ok, so a number of people will be wondering what I cut, and what the outcome was. I did not cut bone. I hope never to have to, as that would be a life or death issue for me. What I did cut, though was enough to impress the hell out of me. I started off with a couple of pool noodles. These cut fairly easily, but I get a feel for the edge alignment and such. I then went on to a pile of 2-liter bottles filled with water. These are much more unforgiving, and show tracking and alignment. I went on then to a couple of 16 oz bottles - harder to cut, as they don't have the mass to stay put. These I had some issues with, but they were with me, the swordsman, not the sword. My stroke twisted upon striking, and I found that I had actually braced for the blow, and jerked it - similar to my personal tendency of pulling up and to the right when squeezing a trigger too hard. I learned to loosen up and let the blade do it's work. On a harder target, I likely would have done some edge damage. I went on to a couple of mailing tubes - tough to deal with as these are not forgiving. A few good cuts, and in I came. I cleaned, oiled, and polished the blade - the only sign of use are a couple of superficial scratches. If I keep using the sword, I will expect it to show more wear. At $1500, this is not an inexpensive tool, and definitely no toy. Keeping this soundly in mind, I will continue to cut and work out with this sword. If, at some point, it needs repair or wears out completely and needs to be replaced, I'll most gladly make that happen.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
David Kite

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the pleasure of handling one of these swords at one of the Round Tables. Aesthetically, perhaps because of the sharp taper, it looks kind of puny to me, and I really wasn't all that turned on by it.

Then I got to go outside and play.

I love the Brescia Spadone. With the exception of maybe the Regent, this sword is by far my favorite Albion longsword. It's probably my favorite longsword of all that I've handled from any maker (except maybe the Regent). If I had $1500 US to spare on a sword, I would by this sword (though maybe the Regent would win out Wink ).

David Kite
GFS, ARMA in IN
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I saw the Brescia in person I was amazed at the level of detail in the cross and pommel. Also something I don't think comes out in pictures of the sword is its size, the blade starts out quite wide at the cross. It felt amazing light however and I couldn't possible imagine that the sword wouldn't come alive in motion. Although I haven't even seen the original in person, I think it is safe to say Albion hit the nail on the head with the Brescia.

Thanks for posting your opinions on the sword.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Kite wrote:
I love the Brescia Spadone. With the exception of maybe the Regent, this sword is by far my favorite Albion longsword. It's probably my favorite longsword of all that I've handled from any maker (except maybe the Regent). If I had $1500 US to spare on a sword, I would by this sword (though maybe the Regent would win out Wink ).

David-

Thanks for your comments! Here they are side by side... quick pic I had available while in on a break from the anvil.

(the full-size one is available in my personal photo album on this site in the "arms" album)

This shows the Brescia, Regent, and Landgraf as the top three in the rack. (Squire, Knight, Ritter, Vinland as they continue downward)

By itself, it does have that "smaller" look, and I believe it is due to the long, almost straight taper. When side-by-side with the Regent, though, I think it regains something.

I love both of these swords, but as far as handling, I'll lean 52% towards the Brescia, 48% for the Regent. It's close, but the Brescia beats it out for me. Handling, form, and technique are so individualized, though...

Oh, by the way, this speaks a ton for the Round Table events - being able to see and feel these firsthand is exceedingly valuable. Mine is July 30th, folks...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

For those who may have missed it, here's the link to the myArmoury.com review of this weapon:

http://www.myArmoury.com/review_alb_brescia.html

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 1:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have to agree with Aarons comments as I have always found the Brescia to be a very fine sword for it's type. I had originally ordered one way back when, but due to Albions production problems with this sword I eventually changed the order to a Baron and a Regent instead.

I don't regret my decision as I prefer both the Baron and the Regent over the Brescia. I've never been that fascinated by 15th century duelling practices and that is what the Brescia represents to me, a sword primarily meant for unarmoured combat (for the reasons mentioned in the review). The Baron is a classic "in your face" design of the 13th century so it's right up my alley, in fact the longer I have it the more I like it. When compared to the Brescia the Regent is a more massive sword in it's dynamic qualities as well as it's mass distribution. That one is definitely a sword with a military focus on armoured combat. It's also one of the plain neatest swords on the production market.

Still, I find the Brescia to be a very fine sword. I was able to cut with the prototype a couple of years ago and was very impressed with the swords performance. This was the one that forced me to re-evaluate my opinion on the cutting performance of these "pointy" designs. I don't know if I'll ever buy one now since there are other swords that have higher priority for me. Never the less, the Brescia is a sword that will always be one of the swords I recommend to anyone wishing to own a high quality medieval longsword.

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus

Last edited by Patrick Kelly on Tue 07 Jun, 2005 5:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick brings to light a couple of very serious points here. First, these pieces can be somewhat specialized. Second, each of our tastes and interests will vary compared to those of others - in some cases very wildly. Patrick and I share some significant common ground, but we do have areas of lesser concern compared to the other. Because of this, the pieces that best suit us are going to differ. In my case, I am quite interested in 15th Century combat, in and out of armour. I'm partial to German as opposed to Italian, but the longsword is my favorite to work with. I want the best fit tool for me for the job. As it is only in the 80's and humid here, I'm glad not to be armoured up. As such, my focus is precisely that - judicial or unarmoured combat in this style. Bingo, the Brescia! But hey... that's just me, and that's cool.

Thanks for your comments, Patrick!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron, I'm glad you picked up the Ritter as well. It's a very interesting sword and I think a lot of people would appreciate it more if they had the opportunity to have it in hand.
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron, when you bought the Brescia, did you buy it alone or with the matching pork chops in kit form?
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 5:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On a more serious note, I find The Brescia Spadona to be one of the most impressive pieces in Albion's line-up. Though I prefer the Regent when all things are considered, the Brescia is a close second personal favorite. I happen to find swords of the 15th century that lean towards being intended for unarmoured combat to be amongst my favorites. The Italian-inspired design queues always pique my interest, and the super crisp and well-defined details of the Brescia's components grab me more than most swords. I only wish I had the funds to add one to my own collection, but I'm content knowing I get to play with one every now and again.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 6:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan Robinson wrote:
Aaron, when you bought the Brescia, did you buy it alone or with the matching pork chops in kit form?

I used it to prepare the bacon for Sunday breakfast at the Waverly. You tell me how it did... Razz

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I only wish I had the funds to add one to my own collection, but I'm content knowing I get to play with one every now and again.

You know where I live, brother... stop by any time.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 6:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
Aaron, I'm glad you picked up the Ritter as well. It's a very interesting sword and I think a lot of people would appreciate it more if they had the opportunity to have it in hand.

I agree wholeheartedly. I stressed over the choice between this and the Gaddhjalt - both the "odd duck" pieces, both a real surprise when I had them in hand. I'm glad I got the piece, sorry I had to decide to leave without the other. I spent a lot of time on Sunday playing with these two behind the scenes in Atlanta, and just bonded better with this guy.

Between bouts of "this and that" in the shop, I split some time between the Ritter and the Squire. I find the Ritter to be a wonderfully lively piece - much more so than one would expect from the stats and photos. I never tired, going through various guards and combinations. If I hadn't hacked up everything I could get my grubby paws on with the Brescia, I would give a rundown of it, too... as it was, I only had a bottle for each one. I was happy with the result. Three very distinct swords. I count myself quite fortunate.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 07 Jun, 2005 8:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron;

The Gaddjalt was my first Albion and it does seem like the opposite extreme compared to the Brescia: Very high blade presence, seems like it would sail through a target on momentum alone, the blade is really of Hand and a Half proportion with a single hand grip.

Recovery might be a bit slow unless circular motions are used rather than trying to stop and reverse direction. ( No experience as a martial artist here, just my impressions moving it around. )

Since I just received my A & A Black Prince I assume some similarities in handling between it and the Brescia: Althought the strong point of the Black Prince with some thickness to it in spite of a good distal taper, makes me believe that it is more intended for armoured and battlefield conditions rather than un-armered duelling. ( Might even be up to cutting Elephant Bone wthout excessive damage to the edge ........ SORRY ..... couldn't resist Razz )

I do look forward to some knowledgable comparisons between the two.

Against lightlly armoured opponents I would go for the Gaddhjalt and the Black Prince if facing plate armour.
Would have my squire hand me the right one at the right time .... LOL. ( And my Sovereign when I want something general purpose for everyday civilian carry. Oh, my 15th century A & A Twohander if I get angry " You wouldn't like me when I'm angry " )

The Black price feels much ligther than the Gaddhjalt in spite of being heavier in fact ! It sort of just moves by itself as if it had no weight, at least in direct comparison to the Gaddhjalt.

The pommel is very different but the guard of the Black Prince does look a lot like the Brescia's.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 6:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sorry if I wasn't really clear - I snatched up the Ritter, not the Gaddhjalt. However, I spent enough time playing with the Gaddhjalt to speak to it somewhat.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The Gaddjalt ... ... blade is really of Hand and a Half proportion with a single hand grip.

Recovery might be a bit slow unless circular motions are used rather than trying to stop and reverse direction. ( No experience as a martial artist here, just my impressions moving it around. )

I agree that the piece looks quite long, but doesn't feel unwieldy. This was not the first piece I played with, so I was warmed up fairly well, but a little bit spent. It did have a nice fluidity, but could be stopped in the feint if not fully committed. My shoulder tired after a while - not an issue with the sword or sword's properties, rather me being a bit out of practice.

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Since I just received my A & A Black Prince I assume some similarities in handling between it and the Brescia... I do look forward to some knowledgable comparisons between the two.

Got me... perhaps someone who has handled both could comment. Or you could stop by with your Black Prince and we'd both know for sure! Big Grin

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The Black price feels much ligther than the Gaddhjalt in spite of being heavier in fact ! It sort of just moves by itself as if it had no weight, at least in direct comparison to the Gaddhjalt.

I believe there are similarities between the Black Prince and the Brescia. Comparing either of these to the Gaddhjalt would yield similar impressions. It's all about the intrinsic dynamics of the different types and their intended function. I think both are outstanding examples of the type, form, and function they were intended to be.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've handled and cut with the Brescia and have seen the Black Prince in person. I'll get to do more with the BP some time this summer. The guards are quite different in fact, if I recall correctly. The Brescia's is longer and more sleek. The Black Prince's fittings are more robust.

I didn't handle the Black Prince much (I just picked it up in a crowded room), but I'd guess they handle differently; again, I'll know more in a few months. They are different swords with different intents from different eras and different locales with different length blades and grips and different width blades. Happy

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad;

Obviously impressions about a sword in comparison to another based only on a picture is iffy at best.

The guard does seem to me to have a similar shape to the Black Prince's as far as general look is concerned, and since you have handled both to a degree you know better than me what the differences are.

True different centuries! But they are both similar in shape, at least when one limits oneself to general outline.

The Black Prince may be less agile but more robust, the Blade of the Brescia is a little wider near the guard. ( Aren't they both type XVa ? )

Anyway, I'm probably just stating the obvious (Could also be completely wrong ! ) and if I actually handled both I would probably see the differences rather than what they have in common. I do find it interesting that you see them as being very different after handling both.

Aaron;

Oh, I understood that you didn't choose to buy the Gaddhjalt, but since you did handle it I was curious about your impressions. ( I guess I was the one who wasn't clear. Big Grin )

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 10:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
The guard does seem to me to have a similar shape to the Black Prince's as far as general look is concerned, and since you have handled both to a degree you know better than me what the differences are.

The Black Prince may be less agile but more robust, the Blade of the Brescia is a little wider near the guard. ( Aren't they both type XVa ? )

I do find it interesting that you see them as being very different after handling both.

Jean,
The crosses are of the same Style (Style 8 according to Oakeshott). They are different in proportions, though. The Brescia's blade is hard to classify: it's either a XVIa with a funky cross-section or an XVIIIa with a fuller. The Black Prince is pure XVa. The blades are different lengths, widths, and cross-sections. The swords have different overall lengths, grip lengths and pommel shapes (the shape and size of the pommel both play into weight and, more importantly, mass distribution).

According to Gus Trim a scent stopper and wheel of the same weight mounted on the same blade will produce different feels based on where the weight is situated, not just what the weight is. A scent stopper (weighted more at the peened end) puts the weight farther back, potentially making the tip more lively. A wheel, where the grip end is thicker than the peened end like many historical originals were, will theoretically give more authority to the cut. The theory is that pommel choices were not used just for grippability and looks, but also for weight and proper distribution of mass. That's why you don't see many cutting-biased swords (swords whose main ability is cutting, and with limited thrusting potential) with scent stopper pommels.

As for being different, I wouldn't state that for certain since I haven't done much handling of the Black Prince (besides picking it up a little bit as I noted above) and won't be able to compare the two swords back-to-back. Since one is a warsword and one more suited to unarmoured combat and since they're so different in terms of measurements, I'd make an educated guess that their different purposes and shapes would result in different handling. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Chad: I'm going to re-read the review on the Brescia more attentively sometime later today. It good to refresh one's memory of these once in a while even if one ( me ) has read all the reviews at least once.

Actually as one buys new swords and gets to handle them in person, going back to the reviews with more experience can modify one's understanding of the reviews: " Oh, now I get it " or " I understood that all wrong the first time I read the review ".

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 10:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Thanks Chad: I'm going to re-read the review on the Brescia more attentively sometime later today. It good to refresh one's memory of these once in a while even if one ( me ) has read all the reviews at least once.

Jean,
I'll get to have my hands on a Black Prince this summer and I'll be able to do some light cutting. So, my opinions could change.

I find myself referring to our articles a lot for information, too. I could be biased Happy, but I think there are a lot of great resources on this site. Like with books on my shelves, there are articles here that I go back to again and again when I'm searching for info.

Happy

ChadA

George Hill

PostPosted: Wed 08 Jun, 2005 1:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank chad! I had no idea about the pommels and weight... God I love learning stuff.
To abandon your shield is the basest of crimes. - --Tacitus on Germania

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Another review of the Brescia SpadonaProduct Review
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: