Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next 
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 11:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
... I wonder if there's some sort of liquid gold leaf or something you could put on it to over the bad spots...

I have a basket hilted broadsword with gold leafed etching in the blade (you might remember that piece, Russ Big Grin ). A lot of the gold leafing flaked out of the etching. To repair it, I looked for "gold leafing" in crafts stores and on line, and what I found was typically a sort of a transfer film. As I recall, that stuff wasn't really gold, either. I ended up using a Krylon "18kt gold leafing pen" that I found - it worked really well to touch up the etching on that basket hilt blade. However, I doubt that either of those options (transfer film or pen) would match up in color, texture or depth with the gold plate application on the A&A Edward III.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 12:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check it out, Chad:

http://www.goldingcraft.com/gilding.htm

Sounds like an interesting project for your "workbench"....

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Grayson C.

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hm...Apprently I've missed a bit but...I absolutely love your Regent. The sword is just so suited to that color, it's amazing! Wish I could find something that matches that well!
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

OH! An occasional Polearm or Dagger, or something like another belt and scabbard, those things are OK!

It's just the "Swords" my wife wants to see me knock off on for a while! But, after a year of not buying swords, then I am back in again. And I gotta tell ya that Arms & Armor "Katzbalger" has been staring me in the face for some time now, matching dagger of course too!

Let's face it "Comrades"! I am hopelessly HOOKED Exclamation Laughing Out Loud But I sure am HAPPY!

I wonder how thick the gold was in it's original condition on King Edward III's Sword?

Oh by the way, I did not mean to indicate in any way that there was a ceiling price of $1,200.00 on my forthcoming
Edward III Sword Ultra Custom Scabbard and Belt system from Russ Ellis. It will cost what ever it winds up costing Exclamation

Geeze this "Thread" has got me "FIRED UP" Exclamation

And ya know what? I think the Steel version of the Edward III Sword is Very Classy! VERY CLASSY INDEED Exclamation

You just cannot go wrong with "This" sword!

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
I wonder how thick the gold was in it's original condition on King Edward III's Sword?

The translated BAM report in the back of records says that "stout gold foil of about 0.10 to 0.20mm thick could be pulled round the core of the cross without risk, and could be soldered firmly together on the upper face of the arms of the cross, next to the grip."

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 7:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Grayson C. wrote:
Hm...Apprently I've missed a bit but...I absolutely love your Regent. The sword is just so suited to that color, it's amazing! Wish I could find something that matches that well!

Thanks! There are more pictures in my collection gallery of this sword and much more. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 04 Dec, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Flynt wrote:
Check it out, Chad:

http://www.goldingcraft.com/gilding.htm

Sounds like an interesting project for your "workbench"....

Interesting, Sean. I'd have to apply it to largish parts of both faces, which avoiding the coat of arms on one side. It's worth a thought.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 16 Apr, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are two of the latest additions, fresh out of the box from A&A. The first is the Medieval Knife, a simple but nicely done utility/belt knife. The second is the Iberian Mace.

I apologize for the quality of the pics. I just laid the items on my scanner. Happy

Full impressions, pictures, and stats will be available at a later date (stay tuned!).

Attachment: 12.07 KB
AAKnife.jpg

Attachment: 17.3 KB
mace.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Tue 17 Apr, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very Cool Chad! That Iberian Mace is a real "Stick of Thor" eh! I just got one too a few weeks ago with my custom blade "Black Prince" influenced by the Albion Talhoffer and Agincourt. A very nice Mace indeed and the medieval knife is something I do not have yet. But I gotta say, having the Medieval Knife in one's collection is the sign of a very serious collector when you really think about it. Being that it was a very important and often used tool of everyday life in the medieval era, to my knowledge.

Nice Basher Exclamation

Bob
Virak Ung

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 9:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Love that Regent. Had a chance to handle it at the LV Blade show in 2005. The Blue handle is striking.
Life is too short for drama

Virak
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Very Cool Chad! That Iberian Mace is a real "Stick of Thor" eh! I just got one too a few weeks ago with my custom blade "Black Prince" influenced by the Albion Talhoffer and Agincourt. A very nice Mace indeed and the medieval knife is something I do not have yet. But I gotta say, having the Medieval Knife in one's collection is the sign of a very serious collector when you really think about it. Being that it was a very important and often used tool of everyday life in the medieval era, to my knowledge.

Nice Basher Exclamation

Bob

Oh, have a look at this one by François L' Achevêque: http://www.flarcheveque.com/#

Look at products/misceleaneous and there is a nice Medieval knife there.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:

Nice Basher Exclamation

Bob

Bob,
Thanks! The Iberian Mace is very fun. I'm looking forward to smashing more stuff with it. Happy I know this is common knowledge, but man, do weapons like this handle differently than swords... It weighs a little over 2 pounds, but the majority of that weight sits 18 inches away from your hand. When you swing it, you know exactly what it's for. Happy

As for the knife, I don't know if it makes me a serious collector or not. I do know it's a cool little piece that has a very historic feel to it. I think men of all ages like the security of a good utility knife. This one fits that bill. It would be a great around the camp/dinner table/town knife.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Virak Ung wrote:
Love that Regent. Had a chance to handle it at the LV Blade show in 2005. The Blue handle is striking.

Thanks! I really like the blue. It's darker in real life than most of those pictures, though. I'd love it if it looked exactly like the first picture. I think the color really fits that sword.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 18 Apr, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Oh, have a look at this one by François L' Achevêque: http://www.flarcheveque.com/#

Look at products/misceleaneous and there is a nice Medieval knife there.

That is nice. I like the A&A one, but simply because I'm not a fan of scale grip construction in general.

Happy

ChadA

Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 1:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nice picture of you Jean! 2 lbs and the weight 18 inches from your hand you know what it's for. Yep Chad, it's a "Wrecker!"

In addressing my post in this thread of the Edward III Sword by Arms & Armor, I got the sword a couple of months ago and the love affair is stronger than ever!

To my custom bladed "Black Prince" from Arms & Armor, Craig Johnson achieved Absolute Perfection as to what I specifically wanted in this sword! I mean he got it so perfect to my hopes that he could not have possibly done any better Exclamation This sword handles with Authority, you can feel it as you wield it! It fits me like a pair of custom made gloves it feels so good!

The thickness of the distal 2/3rds of the blade being twice that of the normal Black Prince and the width being more narrow and tapering more acutely at the tip give this a more stout blade that has been so well crafted that it has not lost any of it's fine characteristics from the standard Black Prince.
This was a very hard long thought decision of tug of war with myself for several months, between the Albion Talhoffer and the Arms & Armor Black Prince. As I had handled both and I loved both to an extreme, but could only get one.
I am extremely grateful to Craig Johnson of Arms & Armor for achieving the seemingly impossible to me and doing the next best thing by producing this masterpiece of a sword for me Exclamation

Big Grin So Very Happy!

Bob
Vegard Stomsvik Pedersen

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 3:37 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You got two very nice swords there, Chad!
Bob Burns

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 4:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Upon reading the recent post about Chad's Regent with the blue grip I checked out the swords in Chad's collection and it's one beautiful collection! My two favorites are the Regent and the Sovereign with the brass pommel and a dark red grip, WOW that Sovereign is just absolutely stunning in every detail Exclamation

I do mean WOW!

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Vegard Stomsvik Pedersen wrote:
You got two very nice swords there, Chad!

Thanks! Feel free to check out my entire collection. There are more photos in there of everything I own or have owned in the last few years. The only things not in there yet are these most recent additions (Edward III, Iberian Mace, Medieval Knife) and a couple of things still on their way.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Upon reading the recent post about Chad's Regent with the blue grip I checked out the swords in Chad's collection and it's one beautiful collection! My two favorites are the Regent and the Sovereign with the brass pommel and a dark red grip, WOW that Sovereign is just absolutely stunning in every detail Exclamation

I do mean WOW!

Bob

Thanks, Bob! By the way, the Sovereign's hilt furniture is bronze, not brass. Happy It looks a little different now, since the hilt furniture is more of a satin finish and has tarnished. There is also a coin in the pommel recess.

I do like the Sovereign, it might be my favorite. The Sempach is another cool one; I think it's under-rated. Actually, I like them all. Happy

Plenty of things in that gallery have moved on to other collectors, but the collection will stand pat for a while with:

7 swords:
Albion Sovereign
Albion Regent
Albion Sempach
Albion Baron
ArmArt knightly
Armour Class Cup and Ring Baskethilt
Arms & Armor Edward III

Daggers/knives:
Kirby Wise/Art Elwell sgian achles
Arms & Armor Medieval Knife
Arms & Armor Crusader/Classic Dagger hybrid
Vince Evans ballock dagger
Tod's Stuff rondel dagger (to be completed soon)
Tod's Stuff scottish dirk (on its way)

Other things:
MRL Great Helm
Arms & Armor Iberian Mace
Lewis Moore hourglass gauntlets

I don't foresee any additions beyond what's here for a good long while.

P.S. the "recent thread" about my blue gripped-Regent is actually an old one I dredge up whenever I add something new to my collection. Happy This thread is a way to show off new things before they end up in my gallery.

Happy

ChadA

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Fri 20 Apr, 2007 8:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Fri 20 Apr, 2007 6:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:

Tod's Stuff rondel dagger (to be completed soon)

Hi Chad,

By "to be completed soon" do you mean that Tod is making it or did you get one of his kits? I recently bought his "make your own ballock dagger" kit. I haven't started it yet, so I was curious as to whether or not you had a kit or were having a dagger made for you.

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection
Page 8 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: