Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next 
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I went to "Kult of Athena" today with the intent of putting a couple of hundred dollars in cash down towards the Albion Valkyrja, for which I have building an asset account to appropriate the acquisition, instead of having to do a large outlay of money all at once.
Well, Ryan just had to show me this new Del Tin (sharpened) Viking sword that had come into stock, I picked it up and I was immediately enamored with this sword! So now what do I do, gee I've never had a Del Tin Sword before and I've heard so many great things about them and also how hard they are to come by.
My resistance broke down and I could not help myself, I had to buy it, so I told Ryan, OK this sword is "Sold" Exclamation He gave me a happy smile because he knew how happy that I was with the sword, he's a real nice guy, especially when he see's that his customer really loves the merchandise that he or she is about to buy! I remember how thrilled Ryan was for me when my mother had sent me the money as a 49th birthday gift to by the Albion Berserkr at Kult of Athena and the day I came by to pick up the Vassal that I had long since paid off, the day it came into stock. When Ryan see's how elated I am on one of those special acquisitions, as with any of his customers, he gets really happy for the customer, which is a really great and rare character trait!
This sword is a Beast! Has a hefty but lively feel to it, with lots of activity in the blade, I don't have any pictures yet to share of it but I will do some photos with our Nikon film camera, get them developed and provide the links.
In the meantime here some of the specs, I do not know the weight but I would guess it's upwards towards 4 lbs., maybe a few ounces shy, not really sure.

Overall Length 39 3/4"
Blade Length 33 1/4"
Blade Width at Cross 2 1/16"
Blade Width Halfway Point 1 3/4"
Blade Width Near Point Transition 1 3/8"
Fuller Width which runs to 1" from point 11/16"
Inside Grip 3 5/8"
Crossguard Width 4 3/16"
Pommel Width 3 1/4"
Pommel Height 2"
Center of Balance From Cross 4 1/2"
Center of Percussion from Cross 19 "

The solid bronze pommel and crossguard have birds sculptured into them.

Very Happy, never thought I would own a Del Tin!

Bob
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 10 Jan, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob,
Is it the DT 2103? See below:

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Chad, thanks very much Happy that is it. Mine has a custom sinew type of wrap light brown in color on the grip with some kind of clear coating over it. I was wondering what Del Tin's retail price is on this sword?
I was just about to post the link to that picture, this way everyone can see the picture without having to download, thanks again Chad!

Ryan also has these two swords.

http://www.deltin.net/2102.htm <~~~~Viking Sword

http://www.deltin.net/201a.htm <~~~~Ancient Celtic Sword

Bob

This sword is a Beast as is the other Viking sword, just about the same length mine might be just over an inch longer as I remember. The Celtic is light to the feel with a lot of blade presence.
The blade presence on mine is a very large amount!
Here is the weight 4.30 pounds or 1950 grams

Last edited by Bob Burns on Sat 12 Jan, 2008 3:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 11 Jan, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bob Burns wrote:
Hi Chad, thanks very much Happy that is it. Mine has a custom sinew type of wrap light brown in color on the grip with some kind of clear coating over it. I was wondering what Del Tin's retail price is on this sword?

Del Tin has historically kept his dealers from trying to under-cut each other too much by controlling what retailers charge, so I'd guess his retail price would be similar to what you paid for it.

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the first of two new items. It's A&A's new Aunlaz dagger. The heavy leather sheath is a semi-custom job by Craig and the boys.

In terms of time period, it fits a somewhat wide range and fills a hole in the collection. It can really work for the 12th and 13th centuries and into the 14th. It's a little plain for portraying a very rich person, but would work for a mid-to-lower level knight or Crusader. It's a nice piece.

Attachment: 58.62 KB
Aunlaz1.jpg

Attachment: 54.01 KB
Aunlaz2.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Last edited by Chad Arnow on Sat 28 Jun, 2008 9:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 27 Jun, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's the other, a sgian achles by Arma Bohemia. Some might have noticed that I have a sgian achles showing in my collection. I sold it a while back to try to get one that fit my needs a little better.

The grip is antler, and the fittings are brass. The tang is peened over the butt plate. The leather sheath has knotwork tooled/stamped onto it.

It's a little different than I expected. Many reproductions of this style have a straight back edge and straight cutting edge, making a triangular blade. Others have curves in the spine and edge so they meet nicely in a more rounded point.

The original (see below) has a pretty straight cutting edge (up until just behind the point), but the spine curves down to meet it. I'd never really picked up on that before. Seeing this repro with the curving spine and a restored point (the original's point may have broken off) was eye-opening.

Like everything I own, these will end up in my collection gallery (accessed by clicking "Collections" on any page of this site). I'll do full reviews also, which we'll publish at a future date.

Attachment: 75.63 KB
sgian1.jpg

Attachment: 56.38 KB
sgian2.jpg

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 04 Jul, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Since my plans (at the moment) don't call for any more dagger purchases any time soon, I thought I'd take a shot of the entire dagger collection.

Can anyone name them all? Happy

Attachment: 32.18 KB
daggers 1.jpg

Attachment: 39.11 KB
daggers 2.jpg
With scabbards

Happy

ChadA

Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 12:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I guess this thread has run its course. Oh well. Happy
Happy

ChadA

Felix R.

Reading list: 25 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is one nice dagger collection. And I have to say, two daggers stand out by far in regards to their appearance.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
This is one nice dagger collection. And I have to say, two daggers stand out by far in regards to their appearance.

Thanks! Which two do you think stand out? And is it at least partially because of their scabbards? Happy

Happy

ChadA

Felix R.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I mean those daggers with the nicely decorated scabbards. But it is not only the scabbards but the details in every part from the blade to the pommel that makes them stand out compared to the others.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Felix R. wrote:
Yes, I mean those daggers with the nicely decorated scabbards. But it is not only the scabbards but the details in every part from the blade to the pommel that makes them stand out compared to the others.

The rondel dagger and big dirk are both by Tod's Stuff. When he does stuff, the whole package just seems to turn out right.

The rest are nice, but the Tod's Stuff daggers really stand out. I loved working with Tod. If the USD/GBP exchange rate was better, more of those pieces would have been by him.

Happy

ChadA

Felix R.

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is, why I said this. My Basilard was made by him too. And I had the same experience. I would order from him again, if there was a dagger that I would be interested in.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Tod is such a pleasure to deal with. I wish more custom makers were like him: prompt in replies, courteous, responsible. He missed deadlines a little but, but I always knew why and when to expect the next update.

Even with the missed deadlines, he was still quicker than many custom makers.

With my dagger collection, I wanted to have something that matched each sword in my collection in terms of time period. I also wanted variety and some not-so-common examples. I'm pretty happy with the result. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Torsten F.H. Wilke

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad,

I just noticed that your original blue gripped Regent looked very stately and elegant. Is that a hollow ground blade?
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Torsten F.H. Wilke wrote:
Chad,

I just noticed that your original blue gripped Regent looked very stately and elegant. Is that a hollow ground blade?

Yep. The Regent is hollow ground and was, I believe, the first properly-done hollow ground sword on the production market. The Earl shares the same blade and is therefore also hollow ground. Albion has at least 3 other models with hollow grinding. Arms & Armor makes a hollow ground version of their Henry V.

MRL has started using it too as has Generation 2.

Happy

ChadA

Stephanie Maks

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello everyone - I've been lurking for a while, but today seemed like a good day to delurk and this thread seemed like the place to do it.

I've just received the latest addition to my collection today; the Tactical Cuttoe by Angus Trim. This is the second ATrim Tactical for me, as I acquired the Baselard just over a week ago. I know these two are not historical as such, but I'm very happy with them - construction, design, feel. The Cuttoe has instantly become my favorite, with the Baselard a close second.

Most of my modest collection are actually antiques, with a few modern reproductions. To this point though, the reproductions I've got have been rather low quality. I've only recently decided I wanted to acquire some pieces that I could take out and swing, i.e. do some cutting practice with. I don't want to try that with the antiques of course, and the sorts of reproductions I've been familiar with would likely be dangerous to actually try and use.

After finding this site, I've been doing a lot of reading and learning -- and changing an earlier, mistaken opinion I had - that reproduction meant 'cheap' or 'low quality'.

Cheers!

-Stephanie
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephanie,
Hello and welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy Feel free to post pictures of your collection. You can start your own thread, or lump your stuff into this one as others have done (even though, selfishly, I started it to show my own stuff Happy -- it's evolved past that initial intent). Better yet, there's a thread to show off Your latest sword (or two).

Maybe a new thread showcasing your collection would be best. I'm sure people want to see the antiques you mentioned. I know I would.

Happy

ChadA

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 07 Jul, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Tod is such a pleasure to deal with. I wish more custom makers were like him: prompt in replies, courteous, responsible. He missed deadlines a little but, but I always knew why and when to expect the next update.

Even with the missed deadlines, he was still quicker than many custom makers.

Happy

Nice to know and to make a note of for some future project(s) the most important thing is pro-active communication even if deadlines are sometimes missed: The worst is being kept in the dark and the very worst is being lied to.

Will have to check out his site as his work also seems very varied and of very good quality in all the ways that matter. Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 05 Sep, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wouldn't you know it? I finally take photos of my whole collection, then go sell something and buy something new, Albion's Gaddhjalt:

Photos from Ryan at Kult of Athena. It was in stock there, cheaper than Albion's price, and had free shipping. Happy

It fits the late Viking Age and could be stretched to fit a Norman-era role or early Crusade role.

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Latest Additions to my collection
Page 10 of 13 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: