Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ren. Fest. clothes Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folkert;

Real nice kit there. Cool Maybe you could post some information / background into each piece and more Picts. Big Grin

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Folkert;

Real nice kit there. Cool Maybe you could post some information / background into each piece and more Picts. Big Grin

Hmm, There's a lot of stuff there, what would you like to know more about?
Eric Myers

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Drake Abram wrote:
Eric Myers,

Where can I get some shoes like that?

Hmm, apparently I didn't come back to check this thread, sorry.

I got them at a faire, I think NativeEarth.net and dreamsoles.com sell similar ones. I may even have bought them from dreamshoes. They are comfortable, and have an artificial sole which is good for marching around on cement and traipsing over grassy hills, but they aren't particularly period. I have a pair of latchets I wear sometimes too.

Eric Myers
Sacramento Sword School
ViaHup.com - Wiki di Scherma Italiana
Jean Thibodeau

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Folkert;

Hmm, There's a lot of stuff there, what would you like to know more about?

Well, maybe nothing specific, but I was giving you an excuse to talk about your kit in more detail: Something most of us enjoy doing. Wink Laughing Out Loud

But, which specific period portrayed and ethnic group maybe ? Gaulish or other Celtic peoples maybe ?

One funny thing is that my first impression, for an instant, was Roman. Eek! maybe because I focused first on the helmet !
Since the Romans seem to have " borrowed or stolen " a lot of the designs for military equipment from others. All the plaid sort of snapped me out of that mistake quickly.

The pre- Roman era or Roman era Celtic peoples is not my current period of history that I study most, so any background history related to your kit would be interesting: Helm, sword, spear, shield design and shield decoration etc .....

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Showing of...         Reply with quote

Folkert van Wijk wrote:
I thought it would be nice to "dress up" this topic again.
And show off some of my kit and clothes, mostly work I did last winter time...
The place is no Ren. Fair, but the "Archeon" a Park dedicated to history in the Netherlands...

bloody celt Wink kit looks great man, i mean it. i'm working on 1 as well Happy
J. Bedell

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Folkert-
First of all I would like to say that your kit looks amazing. I also had a question I was hoping you could answer. How did the celts wear their clothing? Let me explain.... I see that you are wearing plaid shirts, but I saw in a book a while back (I don't remember the book so it may be way off and nowhere near accurate) a depiction of a celt wearing plaid almost like a toga. It looked like he had draped a large piece of cloth around his shoulders, wrapped it around his abdomen and then tossed the extra over his shoulder. Is this accurate at all or did they wear it regularly as a shirt like you....or both? Just curious about celtic fashion.

Like I said, the kit looks great.

I'm going to try to post somepics of my costume for ren faire as long as you all promise not to laugh Big Grin

-James

The pen may be mighter, but the sword is much more fun.
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Tue 23 May, 2006 7:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

as far as i know its a tunic and pants combo. usually seen with a cloak over the shoulders. i believe the celts dressed in layers also.
Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Wed 24 May, 2006 4:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:

But, which specific period portrayed and ethnic group maybe ? Gaulish or other Celtic peoples maybe ?

One funny thing is that my first impression, for an instant, was Roman. Eek! maybe because I focused first on the helmet !
Since the Romans seem to have " borrowed or stolen " a lot of the designs for military equipment from others. All the plaid sort of snapped me out of that mistake quickly.

The pre- Roman era or Roman era Celtic peoples is not my current period of history that I study most, so any background history related to your kit would be interesting: Helm, sword, spear, shield design and shield decoration etc .....

Thanks for the Compliments guys.

The outfit is mostly Gaulish 50 BC. Especialy the helmet and the shield are of that "Late" Celtic period (La Tene III)
Indeed the helmet is the kind that the romans adopted from the Gauls, after the gallic wars.... That's why they call that type of roman helmet today "Gallic Imperial"... They simply made the conquered tribal smithes produce these helmets for them and as time went by, they made alterations like widers neck peases, extra reinforsing ridges and such...

(About these helmets and how I ordered mine, I can start a whole topic in its self...)

The sword is the by Albion produced First Generation La tene II sword. So, it's lets say 200-300 years out of place/time giffen the helm and shield.

The dagger is Paul Binns Anthropomorphic dagger 1st century B.C. (that makes it La Tene III)
Anthropomorphic stuff like this has been made all through the Celtic time BC and I belief also AD...
These kind of Anthropomorphic hilted weapons would probably have served a more rituall-like then warfare purpose...

The Celtic Timespan BC is ruthly defided in two parts: Hallstatt and La tene
Hallstatt in europe is the timespan when europe moved from the bronze age into iron age...
And then again La tene is defided in three parts La Tene I, II, III (there are more complexer systems, but i think this is the one mostly used by most people.

Hallstatt wil be something like 900/800 till 600 BC

La Tene I something like 600 till 400 BC
La Tene II something like 400 till 200 BC
La Tene III something like 200 till 50 BC (50 BC is the time when the Romans conquered Gaull Worried )

Offcourse most of these dates and times I give here, are plus minus and simplefide for ease of use by me... Cool
Folkert van Wijk

PostPosted: Wed 24 May, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

J. Bedell wrote:
Folkert-
First of all I would like to say that your kit looks amazing. I also had a question I was hoping you could answer. How did the celts wear their clothing? Let me explain.... I see that you are wearing plaid shirts, but I saw in a book a while back (I don't remember the book so it may be way off and nowhere near accurate) a depiction of a celt wearing plaid almost like a toga. It looked like he had draped a large piece of cloth around his shoulders, wrapped it around his abdomen and then tossed the extra over his shoulder. Is this accurate at all or did they wear it regularly as a shirt like you....or both? Just curious about celtic fashion.

Like I said, the kit looks great.

I'm going to try to post somepics of my costume for ren faire as long as you all promise not to laugh Big Grin

-James

Clothes like you mentioned are probably what the later Celt's in (let's say) Scotland and Ireland whore...
I don't know the exact time, somewhere around 400 AD???
These people where I think the Pic'ts who later became the famouse Scots...
Joachim Schoelkopf

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Folkert
Compliments also from my side. I have no reasonable picture of myself in my Latene B/C kit, will post one later..
Regards
Joachim

http://interfaze.ch/Kelten.html
Rod Parsons

Reading list: 11 books

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 10:00 am    Post subject: Re:         Reply with quote

Casual dress on a have a go archery site

Attachment: 31.05 KB
Doublet.sfw.jpg

Kyle Wolf

PostPosted: Fri 21 Jul, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This is me,

lol I have gotten enough comments of the editing :P I removed the face because I didn't know if the person would be ok with posting his pic online.

I would also like to say that the outfit here is homemade. in case that makes any difference on how it looks...

a sword is not a sword, it is an extention of your body, as should anything you love ~me
Christopher VaughnStrever

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

We all got started in armor some where… some how. I mean, as we all know; If there is anyone, even that person whom seems oh so serious all the time and we show off our armor to them… their jaws drop and they are like “Are you serious? That is amazing!” A few (In comparison to the masses of people) are into the hobby we each have. Whether we own an entire suit or just a piece of maile armor or even just a basic kit of fashion of the old days… we each have our stories. And here is mine;

I played a Massive Multiplayer Online Game called FFXI (And still do play) Where armor was present and I started to get a feel for that sort of fantasy armor. In late 2005 my gracious mom got me a surprise and bought Renaissance Festival tickets along with the “King’s Feast” I saw people dressed in armor and basic kits of their own. I saw shows that were amusing and fun with much laughter. We ate a feast where the beer never stopped and the meat poured onto our plates. The food had exquisite taste. I bought a fantasy sword from the video game I played. And yes, I even tried on a hauberk of maile. I saw a display and instruction on how swords were used, techniques involved in the correct use of each sword and my interest started from right there and chaged from fantasy to realistic historical armor.

You see, I had a desire to learn the technique’s of the swords of knights. However, I considered being equipped before I went into practice. And remember I am just learning about this great piece historical value at this time. So I looked into chain maile and what the cost would be, I took into account the pricing of making the mail myself. I researched how to construct the mail from the wire. And so in the early part of 2006 I had ordered my materials. I knew I could not construct riveted maile, therefore I wanted an equally strong material, 12 gauge Stainless steel (1/4 hard temper) wire at 3/8 Inner Diameter. The best priced for great strength to resist a sword at what I could construct myself. I hand wound each coil, I hand saw cut each ring and even hand buffed every ring. Everything was done by hand and absolutely no use of any powered mechanical device. At the end of the year in 2006 I had a very short sleeved maile body piece that extended just above my pants line. I swore I was done. I was at about 9,500 rings for the piece.

In the year 2007 I decided to extend the body and the sleeves. I added 2,000 ~ 3,000 rings. Then… In 2008 I decided to construct my padded jack / gambeson. I hand sewed every part of it. Two outer layers of a canvas material and four inner layers of cloth material. I used a quilt stitch style of sewing. The metal rings were tearing through my skin on my shoulders and I needed that padding. When I originally made the mail, I made it to fit “me.” Though I realized terrifying news at the completion of my gambeson… my chain maile did not fit over the gambeson… I had one choice, to deconstruct the chain maile and reconstruct the mail to fit with the gambeson. Well I made the decision and went with it. I adjusted the mail in every way, I had to deconstruct the body, the sleeves, and the worst part the arm pit area of the mail.

Now that the mail fit with the gambeson I felt I could bear more weight. So I started making more rings to lengthen the length of the sleeves to long sleeve, though with the adjustment for the gambeson I had no sleeves, I used those rings to continue the length of the body of the mail. I wanted to make things easier, so I constructed a setup where I could use a mechanical saw cutting wheel to shear through the rings easier, I cut nearly 1,400 rings that way and decided that; that way was not easier for me, I actually prefer to cut the rings by hand without powered tools. So I went back to cutting by hand. I am currently constructing the sleeves.

Along the way I have obtained pauldrons and a gorget from The Mercenarys Tailor and have been more than impressed with the quality of the armor. I currently am awaiting full leg armor on order from Allan at the Merc tailor.

When I have been to festivals with Allans armor people have approached me and recognized Allans’ work and gave very niice comments on not only his armor but on my whole kit that I have been working on for 3 years now. I cannot wait to go to the next festival armed from ankle to neck clad in armor. I love this hobby and a shattering fact is that I still do not own a sword (Other than the 6 foot long great katana fantasy sword I bought) that I carry with my kit (Though I am strongly considering to buy a cheap sword just to carry for looks with the kit. That is till I can afford an Albion)

Well long, but that is my story. Lets hear about your story… shall we?

Experience and learning from such defines maturity, not a number of age
Ed Toton

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 05 Feb, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, older thread, but very cool.

My renfaire garb comes in many flavors, not all very historical...

... among others.

Boy, I don't have very many decent pictures.

-Ed T. Toton III
ed.toton.org | ModernChivalry.org
My armor photos on facebook
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 8:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My group does Living History AT a renfaire.

David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Man David, you're gonna have to find a way to get some of that kit down to WMAW so we can convince folks to do an informal armoured combat class Big Grin

I'll toss in my mid 15th C italian noble soft kit at the Bristol Ren Faire:

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi
David Teague

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 7:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David E. Farrell wrote:
Man David, you're gonna have to find a way to get some of that kit down to WMAW so we can convince folks to do an informal armoured combat class Big Grin

Hi David,

It's going to be hard enough just getting a bag of clothes, fencing mask and swords down with the one bag limit (before charging $50 bucks round trip for each extra bag). WTF?!

Two ( free) bags with a carry on made things much easier in the past .

No plans on bringing my harness at this time.

Cheers,

DT
David E. Farrell

PostPosted: Fri 06 Feb, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Teague wrote:
David E. Farrell wrote:

Hi David,

It's going to be hard enough just getting a bag of clothes, fencing mask and swords down with the one bag limit (before charging $50 bucks round trip for each extra bag). WTF?!

Two ( free) bags with a carry on made things much easier in the past .

No plans on bringing my harness at this time.

Cheers,

DT

Yeah - I heard how much it cost christian to bring his 'portable' 15th C kit out for a workshop. Seriously, we've heard folks are going to be mailing stuff because it will cost less

AKA: 'Sparky' (so I don't need to explain later Wink )

For he today that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother
-- King Henry, Henry V, William Shakespeare

Before I came here I was confused about this subject. Having listened to your lecture I am still confused... but on a higher level.
-- Enrico Fermi
Chuck Russell

PostPosted: Sat 07 Feb, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

my newest "finished" kit

Late Roman: 4th Century. all of the pictures are clicky to bring up the larger version.

JE Sarge
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 10 Feb, 2009 8:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here are some of mine over the last few years. Not exactly historically accurate, but then again, neither are the Klingons, Vampires, or Pirates... Big Grin In case anyone recognizes the LoTR armor, the shot of me wearing the Boromir garb was one of several MRL took of me for the Summer 2005 catalogue. That was me on the cover just before I re-enlisted when I could still have long hair. Razz

J.E. Sarge
Crusader Monk Sword Scabbards and Customizations
www.crusadermonk.com

"But lack of documentation, especially for such early times, is not to be considered as evidence of non-existance." - Ewart Oakeshott

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > Ren. Fest. clothes
Page 4 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: