Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Three Swords You'd Like to See from Albion Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Three Swords You'd Like to See from Albion         Reply with quote

Pick the next 3 swords you'd like to see Albion produce -- either sword types or specific swords.

My vote is for:
1) Records Xa.1 (Museum Line)
2) Viking Type-M, perhaps on Albion's Geibig-2 blade from the Clontarf. This would be the ultimate no-frills historic Viking sword.
3) Type XIa. I'm pretty sure there isn't another XIa repro out there. It would definitely be a novelty.

Brian M
Taylor Ellis

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Xa.1, absolutely!
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm waiting on these three to be produced:

The Knecht

The Meister

The Vassal

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 12:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Meaning 3 swords not already on Albion's "To Do" list.

Brian M
Jeremiah Swanger

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Three Swords You'd Like to See from Albion         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Pick the next 3 swords you'd like to see Albion produce -- either sword types or specific swords.

My vote is for:
1) Records Xa.1 (Museum Line)
2) Viking Type-M, perhaps on Albion's Geibig-2 blade from the Clontarf. This would be the ultimate no-frills historic Viking sword.
3) Type XIa. I'm pretty sure there isn't another XIa repro out there. It would definitely be a novelty.

Brian M

1) A re-make of the Clontarf, with a 2-piece pommel. Hilt fittings to be bronze, with copper wire. The sword will be re-named "The Carolingian". Unless, of course, you can find another Petersen Type K with plant-themed engravings of roughly the same period...

2) A XVIa or XX great sword. Big, bold, and beefy, weighing in the neighborhood of 4 lbs...

3) A hand-and-a-half XVIIIa arming sword. Will likely possess an elongated version of the Kingmaker's blade (to roughly 33 inches), and a grip length of roughly 6 inches. I wouldn't expect to see this sword before they sell their hand-and-a-half XVa's (Castellan, Constable, Mercenary), though, as it would create a lot of product overlap...

"Rhaegar fought nobly.
Rhaegar fought valiantly.
Rhaegar fought honorably.
And Rhaegar died."

- G.R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire
Anton de Vries

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 2:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1) A sword that doesn't cost money.

2) A sword with 3 days delivery time.

3) A Munich with a 40" blade, making up for the overly long grip.
Right now it's only 5mm longer than the Regent's blade, which just doesn't "cut it". A too long lever/grip only slows things down, unless there's more mass to move. $0.02. (And I like the way it looks.)

Attachment: 20.2 KB
munich2.jpg

G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 3:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1. Squire Line version of the Fiore.
2. Squire Line version of the Sherriff.
3. Yet another SL of something (?). Happy
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 5:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Meaning 3 swords not already on Albion's "To Do" list.

Brian M

I think Albion already has enough "To Do".

"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
David Martin

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ok, so they're not swords, but I'd love to see Albion make:

1. Viking Type B Large Skeggöx (they used to make this - I'd love to see it reissued)
2. Forged Warhammer with large backspike
3. Assorted Maces
4. Viking Spears / spear heads

Albion might be able to draw more customers to their site if they offered items that would appeal to a broader customer base, such as:

1. General utility / Camping axes, possibily with hammer back and nail puller (what used to be called a packaging axe)
2. Bowie knives, or similar large blade utility knives
3. Belt knives that would be period appropriate, but would still appeal to modern users
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Kelly wrote:
I think Albion already has enough "To Do".

Nathan Robinson wrote:
I'm waiting on these three to be produced:

The Knecht
The Meister
The Vassal

I'm with these gents... there are enough in development now that I'm anxious to see come to fruition. I'm actually quite impressed that Nathan was able to just pick three to post up out of the tons in the creative process.

In the works (that we know of - Howy mentioned some ghosts out there, too), Albion has 6 Roman, 3 Viking/AS, 9 single-handers, 10 longswords, 3 single-edged, and a 2-hander just in the Next Gen line. Add to that the entire Maestro line of 8 proposed pieces, and 2 Museum Line pieces, and I count 43 new pieces in the works right now. Eek! Given roughly an average of 1 piece per month getting released, and that's over 3.5 years of new releases, with a projected release much, much sooner than that. I already have a wish list of about 25 more pieces... Confused

There are a lot of other pieces I would like to see out there somewhere, Albion or otherwise isn't really of concern to me. Issue is, it takes a ton of research and development to get these right. What Albion does really well is produce Roman, Viking/AS, and Medieval swords. What A&A produces is also of great quality, but doesn't overlap a huge amount comparing the two catalogs. If I want a medieval piece, Albion has my business. When I look for polearms and rapiers, A&A is going to get my call. It's different niches and mutual business respect by not trashing each other's sand boxes that helps keep business going. The research and cost of producing a dagger is not that much less than a sword, if done properly. They won't sell proportionately well enough to be profitable. Branching outside of this market to different eras or unique pieces doesn't make good business sense. My early-morning, sleep-, caffeine- and nicotine-defficient ramblings...

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Three Swords You'd Like to See from Albion         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:

1) A re-make of the Clontarf, with a 2-piece pommel. Hilt fittings to be bronze, with copper wire. The sword will be re-named "The Carolingian". Unless, of course, you can find another Petersen Type K with plant-themed engravings of roughly the same period...

There is the Ballinderry and the Kilmainham from Ireland, both type K hilts that have the vine pattern. Probably the two most well known of this type, but they are both iron with silver work. There is a sketch of the Malhus hilt in The Sword in Anglo-Saxon England that is a type K with the vine pattern, very little details about it though. Also in there is one in Berlin that is missing it's pommel, but has the vine work over the silver work. Most of the rest of the K's just seem to be iron, one or two piece pommels, and silver accent wire.

What examples are there of the bronze fittings with copper wire? Do they have the sheet application over the top with the lines cut in like the Ballinderry and Kilmainham?

Shane
Allen W

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

1. Records Xa.1
2.A cut and thrust Saxon reitschwert w/ thumb ring.
3.The two-hander held by the giant manikin in Schloss Ambras.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm content to simply wait for the next surprise! Big Grin
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Like many others here, I'd like Albion to replicate the Oakeshott Records Xa.1 for their next Museum Line entry.

Maybe they should fill in the few typology gaps that remain - An XIa, a XIII, an XVIIIc. No XXI's or XXII's - nobody likes them much.
Michael F.

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

As with a few other people, I think Albion is pretty busy at the moment. But.... once their finished with the new ones, I love to see a few celtic swords. And possibly a XVIIIb with a down-turned guard and type T1 pommel. Personally I think the people at Albion just need a well earned vacation. Happy
"Tis but a scratch.....A scratch? your arm's off!"-- Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael F. wrote:
...Personally I think the people at Albion just need a well earned vacation. Happy

Thanks! Much appreciated Big Grin Cool

...but other than that, it is always interesting to hear about your preferences and ideas, so bring it on.
Some of the ideas brought forward are not entirely ailien to what is already being planned behind the scenes, I might perhaps say.
David Lannon

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:29 am    Post subject: Next 3         Reply with quote

No I don't think the Albion folk deserve rest......They are an evil people tempting me to lustful thoughts and claiming all of my hard earned cash. Laughing Out Loud

In way of retribution, I think they should make:

1. a German Two Handed Sword

2. a Swiss Bastard Saber

3. a Schiavona

Only then can they truly rest!!!!!!! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cheers

Dave Lannon

Good, Bad, I'm the guy with the gun!!!!
Brian M

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oh yeah, and also a straight Type-XIII. Albion has the XIIIa and XIIIb already, so there's a need for a base Type XIII.

Brian M
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would like to see Albion expand their line-up to include swords of other cultures such as the middle-east and the steppes peoples.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jul, 2005 10:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I agree that Albion has plenty on its, plate right now and diversifying too much would be a waste of specialized expertise.

What I would like:

1) Pole arms / spears

2) A few select large daggers or knives: A Roundel, Ballock, Cinquedea and Scottish Dirk.

3) Ancient line workhardened Bronze swords.

4) More Armour / shields

Naturally I'm contradicting myself here about " over " diversification. Razz Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Three Swords You'd Like to See from Albion
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: