Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What a way to go... Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next 
Søren Niedziella

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 3:48 am    Post subject: What a way to go...         Reply with quote

I was looking through the "John Woodman Higgins Armoury" a while ago when I saw this helmet. I can't help smiling when I see it - though the poor guy certainly didn't. I wonder if he looked out from the castle wall at the wrong time?

Søren

Attachment: 90.34 KB
img001_003.jpg

David Martin

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Luce! Take a look over the parapet and see if they're still there!"
"When war-gods meet to match their might,
who can tell the bravest born?
Many a hero never made a hole
in another man's breast."

- Sigurd, The Lay of Fafnir
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

... pierced by three, resisted a fourth..."

Gee... glad that 4th one didn't come all the way through! The head must've slowed it down some.

Morbid as this is, the forensic archaeology is really neat - talk about a bad day! I had an image of 4 archers just waiting around for a head to pop up - like a horde of kids around a Chuck E Cheese "whack-a-mole" game.

Look at this from the other direction - if the helm had been hit before the head - still would have been the same result. Given the high marks attributed to the armourer, it makes me wonder what the bows/crossbows were like to have generated such force.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Allen W

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This strikes me as more of a period test target than a battle casualty.
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to what I remember reading in the Higgins Collection catalog i've got from the 60's this helmet was found in the moat of a castle. Doesn't mean it wasn't a practice target but if some one were going to take four in the head sneaking a peak over the parapet they would either fall backwards or forwards over the wall and into the moat.
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 9:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Allen W wrote:
This strikes me as more of a period test target than a battle casualty.

I thought about that myself... but then wondered why shoot at a) the inside where the geometry of the helm is totally different than the outside (concave instead of convex) and actually (hopefully) never would actually be hit, and b) the top instead of the side, which would intuitively be my choice.

I also agree with Allan's thought regarding where it was found and the likelihood of the casualty falling forward, the location of the victim in regards to the threat, etc.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
David Black Mastro

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 9:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:
Given the high marks attributed to the armourer, it makes me wonder what the bows/crossbows were like to have generated such force.

The following excerpt is from W.L. Rodger's Naval Warfare Under Oars--4th to 16th Centuries, and concerns steel-staved crossbows:

A heavy bow at the Metropolitan Museum, which I was permitted to examine, had a span of 33 inches with a draw of 5.5 inches and a "weight" of 1,640 pounds. Such bows needed a ratchet or winch to wind them up.

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Black Mastro wrote:
A heavy bow at the Metropolitan Museum, which I was permitted to examine, had a span of 33 inches with a draw of 5.5 inches and a "weight" of 1,640 pounds. Such bows needed a ratchet or winch to wind them up.

Thanks, David - I was aware that the crossbow is capable of insane force - crunching the numbers through ballistics physics equations leads to a serious "WTF!?!" face - wicked!

I was just thinking on what the (cross)bows used to actually inflict these wounds on our "lucky" guy must've been like to be able to pierce the skull 2 or 3 times depending on where it struck, then still have the kinetic energy to penetrate the helm. The crown of the skull is pretty thick!

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A draw of 5.5 and a weight of 1,640 : That is scary impressive Eek! . I wonder if this translates to a much faster bolt than a longbow arrow or maybe only a modest increase in speed but with a very heavy bolt.

The limbs of a very heavy draw weight bow does not mean that the mass of the limbs or the material can use that power to make the limbs move 10X faster than the limbs of a 164 pound draw resulting in an arrow moving ten time faster.

But a draw weight this high mean that a very heavy projectile won't be able to slow down the speed of the limbs, thus the bow string and arrow or bolt. So to take advantage of the stored energy efficiently there must be an ideal weight of projectile.

A much lighter projectile will only have a very insignificant higher velocity than the optimum projectile weight.

I'm just taking a wild guess here and anyone with an archery / physics who can give us an educated opinion about this would be very welcome.

I'm also curious about the range of power of crossbows from those spannable by hand and those using various types of pulleys or cranequin or stirrups and belt hooks. Oh, and the range of weight of bolts.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 10:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
A draw of 5.5 and a weight of 1,640 : That is scary impressive Eek! . I wonder if this translates to a much faster bolt than a longbow arrow or maybe only a modest increase in speed but with a very heavy bolt.

The limbs of a very heavy draw weight bow does not mean that the mass of the limbs or the material can use that power to make the limbs move 10X faster than the limbs of a 164 pound draw resulting in an arrow moving ten time faster.

But a draw weight this high mean that a very heavy projectile won't be able to slow down the speed of the limbs, thus the bow string and arrow or bolt. So to take advantage of the stored energy efficiently there must be an ideal weight of projectile.

A much lighter projectile will only have a very insignificant higher velocity than the optimum projectile weight.

I'm just taking a wild guess here and anyone with an archery / physics who can give us an educated opinion about this would be very welcome.

I'm also curious about the range of power of crossbows from those spannable by hand and those using various types of pulleys or cranequin or stirrups and belt hooks. Oh, and the range of weight of bolts.

Rodgers commented on the efficiency (or lack thereof) of bows of this type:

The work accumulated in drawing this crossbow is about 263 foot-pounds, but the machine is not efficient because the bow is heavy and its draw is very short, requiring a very stout bowstring. Thus much of the work is absorbed in the bow and the string. A flight bolt weighing 1.5 ounces is good for a velocity of under 200 foot-seconds and a range of 280 yards. The heads of crossbow bolts in the Metropolitan Museum are of a great variety of shapes to bite on inclined plate armor, to cut ships' rigging, and for other special purposes. Many offer great resistance to air. A 5-ounce bolt with a 4-pronged head in the above mentioned crossbow would have a velocity of no more than 160 f.s. and a range of 160 yards. In spite of the comparatively short range of the crossbow, its advantage was that it struck such a hard blow that knights had to wear heavy armor for adequate protection.

Now, it should be pointed out that Sir Ralph Payne-Gallwey, the great bow expert, offered more impressive range figures for the steel-staved crossbow, in his classic text, The Crossbow:

The longest flight I obtained from one of the best and strongest of these weapons, originally carried by a crossbowman in battle, was 390 yards. The shortest flight, from the same bow, was 380 yards. The weight of this crossbow, without its windlass, was 15.5 lbs. Its steel bow was 2 ft. 7.5 in. long, and at its center 1.75 in wide and .75 in thick.

Gallwey notes that, to get this range, you have to elevate the bow to 45 degrees.

He doesn't give any weight range for bolts, but shows a picture of an "ordinary" bolt and lists its weight as 2.5 ounces (1 oz shaft and 1.5 oz head).

"Why meddle with us--you are not strong enough to break us--you know that you have won the battle and slaughtered our army--be content with your honor, and leave us alone, for by God's good will only have we escaped from this business" --unknown Spanish captain to the Chevalier Bayard, at the Battle of Ravenna, 1512
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

Thanks, David - I was aware that the crossbow is capable of insane force - crunching the numbers through ballistics physics equations leads to a serious "WTF!?!" face - wicked!

LOL @ the "WTF face"--I like that expression. Big Grin

Yeah, "armour of proof" was definitely invented for a reason. Wink

Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gallwey notes that, to get this range, you have to elevate the bow to 45 degrees.

Right... that yields the greatest trajectory - higher or lower and you actually decrease the range. Ballistics 101.

Problem is, though, you cannot see to aim through the body of the crossbow, as you can with a longbow... so the effective range isn't near that. En masse or the lucky shot, though... yeah, but with any degree of accuracy...

Also, note that these tests were ground to ground tests. Firing from a height advantage does increase your range a ton.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Of course, when it comes to evaluating the power of steel-staved crossbows of the later Middle Ages and Renaissance, we should also consider the power of earlier wood-staved and composite-staved models. The Alexiad, written by the Byzantine Princess Anna Comnena, offers a description of the crossbow used by Western Crusaders during the First Crusade:

The cross-bow is a weapon of the barbarians [i.e., Franks], absolutely unknown to the Greeks. In order to stretch it one does not pull the string with the right hand while pushing the bow with the left away from the body; this instrument of war, which fires weapons to an enormous distance, has to be stretched lying almost on one's back; each foot is pressed forcibly against the half-circles of the bow and the two hands tug at the bow, pulling it with all one's strength towards the body... They [the bolts] are short, but extremely thick with a heavy iron tip. In firing, the string exerts tremendous violence and force, so that the missiles wherever they strike do not rebound; in fact they transfix a shield, cut through heavy iron breastplate and resume their flight on the far side, so irresistable is their discharge. An arrow of this type has been known to make its way right through a bronze statue, and when fired at the wall of a very great town its point either protruded from the inner side or buried itself in the wall and disappeared altogether. Such is the cross-bow, a truly diabolical machine. The unfortunate man who is struck by it dies without feeling the blow; however strong the impact, he knows nothing of it.

Even allowing for exaggeration, that's pretty impressive.

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David, thanks ;

Very interesting as it seems that the laws of diminishing returns sort of kicks in when the mass of the bow and the thickness of bow string make the whole system inefficient at transmitting the energy to the bolt.

Maybe a longer draw with somewhat longer bolts than traditional would have made more efficient crossbows.

The solution used to increase power seemed to have been to just make heavier and heavier bows were a combination of heavier weight and longer draw might have given better results ?

Many much lower power recurve bows and compound bows give velocities of close or even above 200 feet per second at draw weights below 80 pounds.

It not the weight of the bow, it's the speed of the arrow. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

If an 80 pound bow can accelerate an arrow of the same weight to the same speed as a 1600+ pound crossbow it says a lot about the efficiency or lack of efficiency of a design. ( Assuming I have my fact right. Razz Laughing Out Loud )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Aaron Schnatterly

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 11:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
It not the weight of the bow, it's the speed of the arrow. Eek! Laughing Out Loud

force = mass x velocity x velocity

The identical projectile sent downrange at twice the velocity delivers 4 times the force. A projectile of twice the mass sent downrange at the same velocity yields twice the force.

Jean wrote:
If an 80 pound bow can accelerate an arrow of the same weight to the same speed as a 1600+ pound crossbow it says a lot about the efficiency or lack of efficiency of a design. ( Assuming I have my fact right. Razz Laughing Out Loud )

If you can get the same effect with less weight and higher efficiency, then yes.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
A 5-ounce bolt with a 4-pronged head in the above mentioned crossbow would have a velocity of no more than 160 f.s.

That's about 124 foot lbs of force, which isn't all that amazing. About equal to a 150 lb composite bow shooting a heavy arrow. Good, yes, but not up to reputation steel crossbows have of knocking knights of their horses and piercing any armour.

Makes sense to me, though, considering how little respect crossbowmen got in the 16th century. Explains why the gun took over...
David Black Mastro

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:

Makes sense to me, though, considering how little respect crossbowmen got in the 16th century. Explains why the gun took over...

Speaking of the gun, the heavy Hispano-Italian musket of the 16th century fired its 2-ounce lead ball at almost 1,000 feet-per-second.

Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's about 1900 foot pounds - wow. More punch than some assault rifle rounds...
Michael G. Myers

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

David Martin wrote:
"Luce! Take a look over the parapet and see if they're still there!"

LOL. Perfect.

Michael

"In the fight between you and the world, back the world." - Kafka

"Neither flesh, nor fowl, nor good red-herring..."

Last edited by Michael G. Myers on Thu 15 Sep, 2005 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 15 Sep, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This has my MP gears turning, and I must ask a couple of questions.

How tall were the walls of this fortification? The angle of entry is extremely high, and suggests to me that either the wearer was looking UP at the moment of impact (which is highly unusual) or the crossbowmen were right at the base of the wall. Why would crossbowmen be right beneath a parapet? Shouldn't they be further away behind pavises?

I'm no expert on how to storm a castle, so remember to add a dash of salt, but how much would I have to pay you to lean out thru a crennelation during a siege? if the facade of the wall was, say 18 - 24 inches thick, you'd have to lean out pretty far to expose an angle of enrty like this. I'd just toss a rock over and listen for "Le Ouch!"

Finally, what are the chances of three (four?) shots striking before Luce LeBozo figures out he should have stayed behind the wall and "piche la vache"? I'm sure the old trick of putting your helmet of a stick has been in use for some time.

I'm gonna swim upstream here and say this wasn't on Luce's head when these holes appeared.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > What a way to go...
Page 1 of 3 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: