Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tritonworks Website update Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next 
Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Wed 31 May, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Those look great Cool Cool Cool Will have to go and visit your web site again. Big Grin

Sure would give a classy finishing look to a good 14th / 15th century kit, but they look gorgeous even in small numbers in your Pict.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
David Etienne

Reading list: 8 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun, 2006 4:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that's a very smart addition to your offer ! It's the first time I see the opportunity to buy a plaque belt that nice at a very reasonable price.

Thanks for that.

David
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I'm looking into offering a more budget offering too... but we will see...
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've liked just about every example that I have ever seen from you Russ.

I noticed that you opted to place strap knots fairly far apart on the Brescia scabbard. My preference is for the same choice (suspension attachment points spaced widely apart.) I am not sure I have seen a historical example that does it to this degree.

I am finishing a similar do it yourself (amateur difference shows as soon as the back stitching is examined) scabbard for a Sempach. I am waiting on some 5 ounce leather for straps. I was surprised to find that the length of leather needed for a knotted strap attachment was on the order of 3 feet ( a little less than 1 meter) just for the basic knot with some small excess left to tuck in. In the interest of conserving premium leather (don't want to have to butcher very large skins just for "beginner experiment" straps), I will probably put buckles on the straps between the scabbard and the belt. Do you ever contemplate using buckles on the suspension to make the kit more adaptable to maturing bellies, resell or trading between greatly different customers, etc?

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

Feedback score: 100%
(1 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Dash it all, Russ! I can't buy a car, a pistol and a sword belt all in the same month... but I really want to! Great work, though. I have kept a casual eye out for belts like those, and I just haven't found any that I liked in a price range I can afford. Guess I'll have to review the budget, now.

-Grey
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun, 2006 9:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jared Smith wrote:
I've liked just about every example that I have ever seen from you Russ.

I noticed that you opted to place strap knots fairly far apart on the Brescia scabbard. My preference is for the same choice (suspension attachment points spaced widely apart.) I am not sure I have seen a historical example that does it to this degree.

I am finishing a similar do it yourself (amateur difference shows as soon as the back stitching is examined) scabbard for a Sempach. I am waiting on some 5 ounce leather for straps. I was surprised to find that the length of leather needed for a knotted strap attachment was on the order of 3 feet ( a little less than 1 meter) just for the basic knot with some small excess left to tuck in. In the interest of conserving premium leather (don't want to have to butcher very large skins just for "beginner experiment" straps), I will probably put buckles on the straps between the scabbard and the belt. Do you ever contemplate using buckles on the suspension to make the kit more adaptable to maturing bellies, resell or trading between greatly different customers, etc?

Hey Jared,

Thanks for the kind words. I found that I was pretty much required to space the knots on the scabbard out that for for the Brescia if I didn't the weight of the hilt and pommel make the sword turn upside down when hanging from the belt... not exactly the most optimal way to carry it... Happy

I have in fact also made 15th century suspensions using buckles... it's all in what the customer requests...

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Dash it all, Russ! I can't buy a car, a pistol and a sword belt all in the same month... but I really want to! Great work, though. I have kept a casual eye out for belts like those, and I just haven't found any that I liked in a price range I can afford. Guess I'll have to review the budget, now.

-Grey

Hey Greyson,

Thanks for the kind words... and who really needs a car anyway? Priorities man priorities!! Happy

Jean Thibodeau

PostPosted: Thu 01 Jun, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ;

These plaque would they be worn independent of the sword belt ? Or would some weapons be attached directly to one, like maybe suspend one's Rondel Dagger to one of the belts ? Wink Wink ( In a detachable and useable on another belt maybe.)

I haven't really studied these before so excuse me if my question is based on ignorance. Laughing Out Loud

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 231 books

Spotlight topics: 15

(10 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Russ;

These plaque would they be worn independent of the sword belt ? Or would some weapons be attached directly to one, like maybe suspend one's Rondel Dagger to one of the belts ? Wink Wink ( In a detachable and useable on another belt maybe.)

I haven't really studied these before so excuse me if my question is based on ignorance. Laughing Out Loud

Not Russ, of course, Happy but I think we see swords & daggers suspended directly from the plaque belt in some cases and separate sword belts in others.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean,

In The Archaeology of Weapons, Oakeshott shows own of these belts that has a hanger for a sword. Basically, it is three plates hanging perpendicular to the belt with a hook on the bottom. That hook then engages in a ring on the back of the scabbard.

Sean,

I spent the last two years in Germany with no car. I would love to be able to do that here! I had to drive 100 miles yesterday, and I didn't even leave post. Eek! I like to walk, but not that much.

-Grey
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
Russ;

As Chad says, I've seen it both ways. Here suspended directly from the belt:

Here from a separate belt but with the dagger still apparently hanging from the plaque belt:

It appears to be a matter of personal preference.

Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ Ellis wrote:
[quote="

... and who really needs a car anyway? Priorities man priorities!! Happy

Right you are, Russ! My driver's license was suspended three weeks ago and I will have to walk for two weeks more. I was disappointed just for a couple of days. Now I feel great...Every day... I think I don't want it back Laughing Out Loud

Your plaque belt offer is wonderful. I haven't seen much of those on the market and never seen painted before. That I like very much. What we often see in movies, armies all steel, is a big misunderstanding. The warriors of the past had painted everything: shields, plate armour, lances, used silver, gold and a lot of colorful decorations, especially french knights. An army was a fascinating view.

I will order one.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 02 Jun, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Konstantin Tsvetkov wrote:
Russ Ellis wrote:
[quote="

... and who really needs a car anyway? Priorities man priorities!! Happy

Right you are, Russ! My driver's license was suspended three weeks ago and I will have to walk for two weeks more. I was disappointed just for a couple of days. Now I feel great...Every day... I think I don't want it back Laughing Out Loud

Your plaque belt offer is wonderful. I haven't seen much of those on the market and never seen painted before. That I like very much. What we often see in movies, armies all steel, is a big misunderstanding. The warriors of the past had painted everything: shields, plate armour, lances, used silver, gold and a lot of colorful decorations, especially french knights. An army was a fascinating view.

I will order one.

Happy Thanks for the kind words Konstantin. I ran in a 5k race on Memorial Day Holiday here in the United States, as you say I feel pretty good about myself for doing it. (23:53 seconds okay I had to tell someone not a great time but not shabby either). I think I'll try 10k races next.

But I digress... just a point of information the colors you are sing on the plaque belts are not paints or enamels but rather leather inserts. This is a nice feature because then I can EXACTLY match your plaque belt to your scabbard, or grip, or spiffy new club pants I suppose. Happy That isn't to say they can't be painted if that's what you want (or heck even enamelled I guess I don't know how hard that is to do and will have to look into it).

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had the opportunity to do up the scabbards for a few Samson pieces recently. The review soon to follow on at least the two hander I managed to forget to write down the relevant stats on them and so had to ask the owners to provide those measurements before I write my review doh...

Also the plaque belts have met with a somewhat underwhelming response unfortunately so I've cast about to find some cheaper alternatives thinking that perhaps price might be a factor. I have found a way to offer these new all pewter plaque belts for around half the cost as the others...

I'm hoping that the next customer that gets a 14th/15th century scabbard may go for one of these belts as I'd really like a chance to do one up... Happy

Shae Bishop

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Russ, on your website it says the pewter plaque belts can be ordered with a colored leather belt backing. Do you know of any historical evidence for this?
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shae Bishop wrote:
Russ, on your website it says the pewter plaque belts can be ordered with a colored leather belt backing. Do you know of any historical evidence for this?

I'm pretty sure that I read it somewhere or other, but to be honest I do not remember the source. If I get ambitious this evening I'll try to look it up. From a practical perspective it makes sense to me since the plaques sometimes have the annoying habit of sliding around expecially when worn on the outside of plate.

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Just for curriousity sake, are you able to combine more than one style of plaque? For example, maybe alternate square floral plaques with round floral plaques. It might be a nice way to add a little bit of customization and variety.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 31 Jul, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
Just for curriousity sake, are you able to combine more than one style of plaque? For example, maybe alternate square floral plaques with round floral plaques. It might be a nice way to add a little bit of customization and variety.

-Grey

Sure no problem!

Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I managed to get a review added last night. I'd never had a chance to spend any period of time messing about with an Angel Sword before and with all the furor over the years I thought it would be interesting to really get to handle one. This is what I found...

Also note that the extreme belt width on this scabbard was at customer request...

http://www.tritonworks.com/angel_sword.htm

Greg Griggs

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Mon 18 Sep, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Veeeeery nice scabbard Russ. That wide belt must have been a pain to work with.
Had the chance to feel some of Angel Swords blades in Texas this summer and I can say the every one I held (7-8 different types) were all "odd feeling". Some were heavy like that one, others felt light as a feather. Nothing wrong with any of them, just not what I was used to. Thanks for the review and showing the great work you are doing with those scabbards and belts!

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > Tritonworks Website update
Page 3 of 7 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: