Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suspension for Heavier Longswords Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Adam Welch

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Suspension for Heavier Longswords         Reply with quote

I've been thinking about making a belt for my AT 1433 for a long time and decided to do it. My problem is, I'm beginning to wonder how comfortable the belt will be if its not wide enough. Meaning, will the weight of the sword, while not extraordinary at around 3 1/2 pounds, will pull on the belt and dig into my waist. I've poured through the net for pics and its hard for me to tell the with of belt compared to the sword. I mean I know that heavier swords than mine were carrried at the hip historically. What I will be making is a belt similar to Christian Fletcher's Longsword belt, a single waist belt with three point attachment on the scabbard. I am making the belt from a one inch wide leather. Do you guys think this is a good width? Do I need to go wider?
Factus est Dominus Protector Meus!
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 9:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Adam

I have Christian's longsword suspension for my Regent and I find it quite comfortable. That sword is a bit over 3 1/2 pounds and I have no problem with the belt digging into my waist. I think it's more a matter of distributing the weigh than the belt thickness. Get the straps positioned properly and you should have no problem with a one inch belt. Just my .02. Big Grin

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
Adam

I have Christian's longsword suspension for my Regent and I find it quite comfortable. That sword is a bit over 3 1/2 pounds and I have no problem with the belt digging into my waist. I think it's more a matter of distributing the weigh than the belt thickness. Get the straps positioned properly and you should have no problem with a one inch belt. Just my .02. Big Grin

Mark,
This may be a tad OT for this thread, but have you put your Regent on a scale yet? Mine is a 1/4 pound lighter than Albion's weight (and the ones in the reviews and other collections here). Some of the other new ones have also lost a little weight. Mine's right at 3.25 pounds.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Mark Mattimore

Reading list: 41 books

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Mark Mattimore wrote:
Adam

Mark,
This may be a tad OT for this thread, but have you put your Regent on a scale yet? Mine is a 1/4 pound lighter than Albion's weight (and the ones in the reviews and other collections here). Some of the other new ones have also lost a little weight. Mine's right at 3.25 pounds.

Chad

No, I haven't put it on the scale yet. I was just basing this on the "3 pounds, 11 ounces" referenced in Patrick's review. You're right in that my newer model may be lighter. I'll have to check it out to see.

In omnibus requiem quaesivi, et nusquam inveni nisi in angulo cum libro.
Adam Welch

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 10:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yeah, the way I was going to it do was to have the excess length that passes through the buckle on the front of the belt be what secures to the first strap on the throat of the scabbard. I figure this will let the weight be supported by more of the belt, and then letting the other two straps on the scabbard be more of secondary angel adjusters. In any case, I'll try to post pics here in a week or so, it should be done by then if I ever get started... Blush
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Idon´t know the time period for the sword, if it should be worn with a laced integral style belt or a 15th C style solution.

For the integral laced belt a 1,5 - 2 " belt will probably do fine. This wil cover a period up to mid 14th C. Same width, sort of, you will see through the rest of the 14th C. During the later part is the period of very ornate and flamboyant belts all set with metal "cups". The swords were hung by a system of starp and buckle, perpendicularly, from these.

15th C style belts are more narrow, but then a sword of war from that period would mostly have been carried while wearing a steel breast plate, so that will spread the load. The belt cannot dig into your waist wearing a breast plate. Also a breast plate might actually demand a pretty narrow belt.

If you are wearing period style clothing of wool with lining and linnen underwear, this also makes a narrow belt less of a problem actually.

What you choose will depend on when and how you will wear your sword.
It also depend on how important you think historical style and example is.

A 15th C style waist belt will typically be around 1" wide. The thongs attaching to the scabbard can be half this thickness.

Hope this helps.

Best
Peter
Jeff Hsieh

PostPosted: Mon 03 Oct, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Adam,

My Lutel longsword is just over 4 lbs and the sword belt is 1 inch wide. I don't find that it digs uncomfortably into my side at all. The main issue with such a heavy sword is that the belt hangs looser on my left side than on my right, creating a lopsided look. Something you might want to consider, though I don't know if it's historically accurate, is a 3-point double wrap belt, so the weight goes evenly over both hips. Just make it twice as long and it should work fine.
Adam Welch

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks guys, your input helped me out alot!
T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Tue 04 Oct, 2005 9:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mark Mattimore wrote:
...No, I haven't put it on the scale yet. I was just basing this on the "3 pounds, 11 ounces" referenced in Patrick's review. You're right in that my newer model may be lighter. I'll have to check it out to see.

Mind you, the weight of the scabbard is also a factor here. Even if your Regent is a bit lighter, the scabbard should make the numbers run closer to true.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 05 Oct, 2005 6:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T.L. Johnson wrote:

Mind you, the weight of the scabbard is also a factor here. Even if your Regent is a bit lighter, the scabbard should make the numbers run closer to true.

T.L.,
Actually, Patrick's measured weight for the review would have nothing to do with a scabbard, since he doesn't have one. Happy The weight of the Regent has fluctuated a bit. Early ones were at or a little over 3.5 pounds. More recent ones are less, like mine and Alexi's, at around 3.25 pounds. Mark's comment, and my followup, were referring to the weight of the sword itself.

That being said, scabbards can fluctuate a lot in weight, based on materials and construction. So that can be a factor in belts/suspension.

Happy

ChadA

T.L. Johnson

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm well aware of that. What I was saying was that it didn't matter if the recent Regents are lighter than the older ones, because in the end, when you wear said New Regent with a scabbard on the belt, the scabbard/sword combo is as heavy or heavier than Patrick's listed weight. Hence, any concern over the weight differences is null because, whether new or old, you don't wear a Regent without a scabbard (well, you can, but bring Band-Aids— lots and lots of Band-Aids).
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

T.L. Johnson wrote:
I'm well aware of that. What I was saying was that it didn't matter if the recent Regents are lighter than the older ones, because in the end, when you wear said New Regent with a scabbard on the belt, the scabbard/sword combo is as heavy or heavier than Patrick's listed weight. Hence, any concern over the weight differences is null because, whether new or old, you don't wear a Regent without a scabbard (well, you can, but bring Band-Aids— lots and lots of Band-Aids).

T.L.,
No matter what the starting weight is of a particular sword, the scabbard weight still factors in. Assuming equivalent scabbards, my Regent with a scabbard will always be lighter than Patrick's with a scabbard, regardless of whether my sword with scabbard is the same weight as his is without one. So even scabbarded, there will be a weight difference of .25 to .5 pounds. Any concern over weight differences, if you consider the differences significant enough to discuss, is still there whether or not we're talking about the inclusion of scabbards. Happy

Happy

ChadA

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Suspension for Heavier Longswords
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic