Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > That armour of linked rings: its spelling and pronunciation? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 8:18 am    Post subject: That armour of linked rings: its spelling and pronunciation?         Reply with quote

I've just been commenting on the thread about the maintenance of mail, and it's reawakened a question which has often nibbled at me, but which I've never asked before. So I'm asking now...

When did "maille" take over from "mail"?

I've always been notorious for looking things up before replying to a thread, and none of the older books (Oakeshott, Edge & Paddock, Blair, Wilkinson, Laking, Ffoulkes and even Stone) which I consulted before writing this reply use the "period-quaint" spelling. (They weren't especially helpful in providing suitable information for my reply, either, but that's another matter.)

I regard "more recent" books as those published post-1997 -- not an arbitrary date, but the publication of Clements' s Renaissance Swordsmanship, which, leaving any other comments aside, seems (unless I missed something else) to be the earliest book in my library representing the modern resurgence in Western Martial Arts.) An admittedly-cursory glance through those more recent books ( most of which seem to be published by Chivalry Bookshelf Big Grin with a few from Paladin and several other single volumes from other publishers) found the "maille" spelling only in Christian Tobler's Secrets of German Medieval Swordsmanship.

(I have no idea why the entire title won't display in proper bold...)

As a full-time writer and part-time copy editor, I'm professionally curious (because sooner or later I'll have to take one side or the other with my own work, and justify it) to find out, if possible, where the currently-popular "ye olde Englysshe" spelling originated. Despite having no basis in the classic books on the subject such as those I listed above, it's encountered far more frequently on the Internet than the more traditional spelling: here, NetSword, SFI... Do armour-specific boards use it too?

For some reason, I keep blaming, sorry, that should be thinking of the SCA...

As for pronunciation, and bearing in mind how often I've heard "Yee Oldeey" spoken just that way, is "maille" pronounced "male" or sometimes even "male-eey" (God forbid, even in fun. Eek! ) I'm not even half-joking; apart from the pronunciation "humour" which wasn't really funny, this post is a good seven-eighths serious.

"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your half-crown, and your handsome women!" - Capt. Carlo Fantom (from Aubrey's "Brief Lives")
Craig Johnson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 20 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 8:36 am    Post subject: Mail         Reply with quote

Hey Peter

7/8ths is pretty good for you Big Grin

I am just happy we are getting away from putting the word "chain" in front of it. One of my personal irritations.

I expect you are correct that it has been manly influenced by the reenactment community in all its varied forms. The desire to be "correct" with terminology from the period can be difficult as spelling was not considered set in stone, as I am sure you are well aware.

As for usage I believe the correct pronunciation is just mail. I have heard a few variations but these are often affectations more than anything else. Its not near as confusing as people trying to come up with period pronunciation for such things as rapier, sallet or katzbalger.

Hope all is well with you, any chance of you being state side in the near future?

Best
Craig
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Peter,
That's a good question. Those of us that write reviews and articles on this site have switched to mail as our spelling of choice. We used to use maille, but we talked about it, looked around at reputable sources and settled on mail. Maille is perhaps a French spelling (?).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Pamela Muir

Reading list: 34 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: That armour of linked rings: its spelling and pronunciat         Reply with quote

Hi Peter,

In all honesty, I probably have no idea what I am talking about, but I'll tell you my own little theory anyway...

I think you said it right here:
Peter Morwood wrote:

Despite having no basis in the classic books on the subject such as those I listed above, it's encountered far more frequently on the Internet than the more traditional spelling: here, NetSword, SFI...

I think it has something to do with the fact that if you did a search using the term "mail" you end up with all kinds of items that relate to things you stick a stamp on and drop in a post office box. Using the "olde" spelling makes it easier to narrow your search to something that would offer better physical protection. Feel free to shoot holes in this theory. Happy

Pamela Muir

Founder/Lead Instructor
Academy of Chivalric Martial Arts

"I need a hero. I'm holding out for a hero 'til the end of the night. He's gotta be strong, And he's gotta be fast, And he's gotta be fresh from the fight." ~Steinman/Pitchford
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 9:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Far as i'm aware, Chad hit it. Its the French spelling(I forget what the latin root for the word is but the spellings are all pretty close in french, italian,spanish and kings english. the latin root means net i believe). Alot of armour pieces are still most often refered to by the French name even though they have names in other languages and even them many were corruptions of French names as French was so widely spoken during the middle ages by the upper classes I suppose. Example, gauntlet, cuirass, cuisse ect. Best i've got anyway. Maybe some one else has more info.
Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I would venture to suggest that it's a combination of all of the above answers, but mostly to get away from the spelling of mail which, at least in North American English, so much more generally means "Post", as in "Post Office". By spelling the armour "maille" one immediately can differentiate it from something made of paper and shipped via the Post Office, without feeling the need to add on the proviso of "chain" in front of it. By going back a few centuries in spelling it is given an immediate and unambiguous definition, at least as far as the tiny reenacting and collecting community is concerned.

Just my own thoughts on it, though.

Cheers,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Guy Thomas

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here is what Merriam-Webster online has to say about the noun "mail" when referring to armor:

Etymology: Middle English maille, from Middle French, from Latin macula spot, mesh

It would be interesting to find out when and how the revival of the older spelling came about, I use it and don't even know where I picked it up! Looks like it is a borrowed French word, not uncommom in the English language and has already been pointed out by Allan.

Guy Thomas
Patrick Kelly

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Before we decided to standardize the terms we use for our content I used maille rather than mail. Why? Because I thought it looked neat and old-fashioned. No deeper reason for me personally. Big Grin
"In valor there is hope.".................. Tacitus
Aaron Schnatterly

Reading list: 67 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Craig Johnson wrote:
I am just happy we are getting away from putting the word "chain" in front of it. One of my personal irritations.

Gordon Frye wrote:
I would venture to suggest that it's a combination of all of the above answers, but mostly to get away from the spelling of mail which, at least in North American English, so much more generally means "Post", as in "Post Office". By spelling the armour "maille" one immediately can differentiate it from something made of paper and shipped via the Post Office, without feeling the need to add on the proviso of "chain" in front of it. By going back a few centuries in spelling it is given an immediate and unambiguous definition, at least as far as the tiny reenacting and collecting community is concerned.

I feel that Allan has the right thought here - that it's a term that entered the vocabulary as a borrowed word from French. Lots of the terms we use for armour are, indeed, French.

I've found mail/maille to be fairly interchangeable. I personally find myself using maille as a default, but have no issues either way. Just as Craig commented, though... it grates on me significantly when either "chainmail" or "chainmaille" is used. For that matter, I detest "platemail", though I have not heard that used in quite a while - outside of the RPG community, anyway.

I guess the reason I started using "maille" as a spelling is pretty much what Gordon mentioned - an instant differentiation. I also use "armour" to talk about maille and plate and such, and "armor" to talk about Panzers and M1A1 Abrams battle tanks.

In my house, the phrase "Pick up the maille" is uttered almost as commonly as "Pick up the mail" - two different statements, both valid.

-Aaron Schnatterly

Fortior Qui Se Vincit
(He is stronger who conquers himself.)
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Aaron Schnatterly wrote:

I guess the reason I started using "maille" as a spelling is pretty much what Gordon mentioned - an instant differentiation. I also use "armour" to talk about maille and plate and such, and "armor" to talk about Panzers and M1A1 Abrams battle tanks.

In my house, the phrase "Pick up the maille" is uttered almost as commonly as "Pick up the mail" - two different statements, both valid.

Funny that, I do the same thing, in that "Armour" is something that you wear into battle, while "Armor" is something that you get into and drive into battle. Why? Because, as Aaron says, it looks cool, Cool !

But also, I must admit that there is a significant weight difference in my house between the "maille bag" and the "mail bag", Big Grin I guess if I were consistent though I would write "maille bagge", no? WTF?!

Cheers!

Gordon

Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 10:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well: I'm a French speaking Canadian or Québécois for the more nationalistic still upset by the plains of Abraham defeat to the English in 1759. Razz Laughing Out Loud

So I have MY excuse to use MAILLE, and now it's become a habit and whenever I see mail I want to lick a stamp. Razz Laughing Out Loud

Oh, and my own spelling VICE of capitalizing weapons or armour parts when I am discussing them in a post where I consider them the same as proper names when we are discussing them: In an ordinary sentence I might not capitalize these.

Add to this that in graphics and advertising capitalization tends to be used in English Willie nilly for emphasis or just aesthetic reasons not related to strict grammatical rules ! ( And I'm French so I can always plead ignorance or
CONTRARINESS ! )

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Gordon Frye

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 11:15 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean;

Rules? In ENGLISH? You GOTTA be joking! All it IS is exceptions to the rules! (Depends on what the definition of "IS" is, of course, Big Grin !) The Willy Nilly capitalization/punctuation of English is one of the ways we use to rule the world, you know. It wasn't the Battle of the Plains of Abraham that enslaved you, it was Dr. Johnson's Dictionary! Laughing Out Loud

Cheers!

Gordon

Helen Miller

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 1:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wikipedia has this:

Quote:

Etymology

The word chainmail is a pleonasm: in the Middle Ages and Renaissance, chain was the English name for it, while
maille was the common French name for it. This—and the alternative spellings "maile" and "maille"—derive through
the Italian maglia, from the Latin macula, meaning "net".
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Wed 12 Oct, 2005 4:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Maille is French. Mail is English. If you are writing in French or in a Norman/French context then "maille" would be fine, just as "lorica hamata" would be fine if writing in a Roman/Latin context. If writing in an English context or speaking generally then "mail" is the word to use. Yes its ambiguous. So are thousands of other English words. Do you use French spelling for all of them too?

"Chain" was not used in the Middle Ages nor in the Renaissance to refer to this armour. The earliest incidence of the word I can find is the end of the 18th century.

http://www.knights.arador.com/materials/chainmailandringmail.pdf
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 7:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Pamela's and Gordon's comments make a lot of sense: spelling the word as "maille" avoids needless confusion and frustration when searching the Internet for "armour". With regard to its origins, as usual Happy I went to the bookshelf and started looking things up.

Yes indeed, it's Old French. My New Elizabethan Dictionary (circa 1950) says so, as does A Short Old French Dictionary for Students (1946, my copy 1985, purchased for a writing project but quite useful for the arms and armour hobby) and it's backed up by the ever-useful OED -- though this last also gives a suggested spelling of, among others, "maylle", which frankly is something I'd rather the re-enactment community didn't know about...

Just for interest, modern French has turned the word into a plural: les mailles, presumably as a reference to the multiple rings which make up the armour; thus the word for hauberk is la cotte de mailles - "a coat of mail(rings)".The English term "mailed fist", however, drops any reference to armour in its French form and become simply la manière forte - "the strong hand" .

To finish, I consulted my German dictionary and found (sorry, Craig) the possible source of "chainmail", since the (modern - but how modern?) German word for mail is der Kettenpanzer - "chain armour", and the word for hauberk is der Kettenhemd -- "chain shirt", a term which I sometimes see used in the more Romantick School of historical and fantasy fiction but fortunately hardly anywhere else. "Mailed fist" translates as die gepanzerte Faust - "the armoured fist", so I suppose that's all right.

In conclusion, therefore, I'll continue to use the traditional spelling in print, and when I'm writing about armour here or in other forums (fora? no, I'm being pedantic enough for one topic) but I'll take everyone's advice, and use both it and the 'antique' spelling when searching the Internet for armour references.

I don't need that much information about post offices anyway... Big Grin

"I care little for your Cause; I fight not for your Crown, but for your half-crown, and your handsome women!" - Capt. Carlo Fantom (from Aubrey's "Brief Lives")
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 7:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now, if mailed someone a bag of rings, and a sett of instructions telling them to attach one ring to the other in the four to one pattern, and then send it to someone else, who would do the same...

My mind is boggling...

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Peter Morwood

PostPosted: Thu 13 Oct, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

One of the more long-lasting (or at least hard-wearing) chain letters.

Let's not go there....

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > That armour of linked rings: its spelling and pronunciation?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic