Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next 
J.G. Grubbs

Reading list: 6 books

Feedback score: None
PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 7:02 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

WOW! I can hear the XIIa calling out to me already Big Grin

Regards,

James

"The reputation of a thousand years may be determined by the conduct of one hour."
Samurai Proverb

James Grubbs
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 8:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Oooo did you hear that? Double handed sabers in the works? Oh this is indeed fun!
TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Steve Maly

Reading list: 23 books

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 8:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow, now we're talkin'! Cool

I really like the looks of the XVI's (the Prince's pommel seems to resemble the pommel on XIV.6 in "Records") as well as the XVIIIa.

I noticed that the blades of the XVI's in Records of the Medieval Sword range from 21" (53 cm) to 32" (81.2 cm). WIll these representations be on the long or short side? Will each of the blades on the XVI's be different or will the difference in pricing be due solely to the pommel and cross complexity?

"When the only tool you own is a hammer, every problem begins to resemble a nail." ~A. Maslow
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Tue 25 Nov, 2003 11:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steve Maly wrote:
Wow, now we're talkin'! Cool

I really like the looks of the XVI's (the Prince's pommel seems to resemble the pommel on XIV.6 in "Records") as well as the XVIIIa.

I noticed that the blades of the XVI's in Records of the Medieval Sword range from 21" (53 cm) to 32" (81.2 cm). WIll these representations be on the long or short side? Will each of the blades on the XVI's be different or will the difference in pricing be due solely to the pommel and cross complexity?

Steve,
Both the XVI has the same blade. Difference in price is primarily due to hilt complexity (there are some additional ideas not finally set down that I cannot explain further at this time)
The blade is long for the type: these will be big swords. Dimensons (preliminary) for the blade is: 5.6 cm (2.2") wide at base, 82 cm (32.3") long. Mass is kept down to a minimum by a fuller that is deep and long for the type.

The blade makes almost for a small XVIa, but this will be a single hander.
Steve, you are right in recognizing that pommel. This hilt was one of those used as inspiration for the "Prince". Also the overall size of that weapon was somewhat an inspiration. These two XVI will not be that heavy though (XIV.6 in records weigh 2.2 kilos or almost 5 lbs...). My guesstimate is that the weight will be somewhere around 1.2-1.3 kilos.

Sorry for not being able to be more exact in my answers. Hope you can get an idea anyways. I made a XVI some time ago that ended up in Eric McHughs care. This was a rather nice cutter as it turned out. I used some ideas from that sword when designing the blade.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2003 3:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
I made a XVI some time ago that ended up in Eric McHughs care. This was a rather nice cutter as it turned out. I used some ideas from that sword when designing the blade.

Just a little anecdotal addendum to that -- we had a cutting party at Eric McHugh's house over the summer -- I got a chance to cut a two-roll tatami mat with Eric's PJXVI -- on my first cut, it sliced through so neatly that the cut part remained in place (it reminded me of the old swashbuckler movies and the candle trick.) I have it on video someplace... "rather nice cutter" is an understatement on Peter's part!

Best,

Howy
Stephen Pearson

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

The blade is long for the type: these will be big swords. Dimensons (preliminary) for the blade is: 5.6 cm (2.2") wide at base, 82 cm (32.3") long. Mass is kept down to a minimum by a fuller that is deep and long for the type.

The blade makes almost for a small XVIa, but this will be a single hander.
Steve, you are right in recognizing that pommel. This hilt was one of those used as inspiration for the "Prince". Also the overall size of that weapon was somewhat an inspiration. These two XVI will not be that heavy though (XIV.6 in records weigh 2.2 kilos or almost 5 lbs...). My guesstimate is that the weight will be somewhere around 1.2-1.3 kilos.

THANK YOU SIR, YOU ROCK!

I've been looking for a Type XVI for some time now, and nobody makes one that thought was worth buying. The only version I really liked was one of your drawings that was posted on another forum a while back. And now I find that you're actually going to make it! And from the basic specs you've posted, it sounds perfect -- a good wide base, an excellent length, and a fuller that extends probably 2/3 of the blade's length. I've already reserved myself a copy of the unnamed Type XVI !!!

And now, having discovered myself still at work the day before Thanksgiving (when everybody else at the office has gone home), I'm getting out of here!

The only situation a commander can know fully is his own: his opponent's he can know only from unreliable intelligence.
Clausewitz, On War
Lancelot Chan
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 26 Nov, 2003 12:13 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Which one to get? Brescia Spadona or the XVIIIa? Man, you are giving me a big trouble choosing! Big Grin
Ancient Combat Association —http://www.acahk.org
Realistic Sparring Weapons — http://www.rsw.com.hk
Nightstalkers — http://www.nightstalkers.com.hk
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Fri 28 Nov, 2003 1:17 am    Post subject: Now public         Reply with quote

with the subpages all active.

(Sorry Nathan in advance for any confusion - Peter and I changed some names around after some reflection)

New link:

http://albionarmorers.com/swords/albion/nextgen.htm

Please let us know what you think!

Best,

Howy
Brian M

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003 9:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice. I will be reserving one next week.

Question for Mr. Johnsson (or Mr. Waddell): Have you considered adding (in the future) a single-edged sword to the NG Viking line? For example, the specimen on p. 40 of SotVA. It's a simple but nicely-proportioned weapon with what looks like a 1-piece pommel construction.

Thanks,
Brian M
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Now public         Reply with quote

Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

'Squire' would be my favourite, on looks and specs so far.
Howard Waddell
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Now public         Reply with quote

Geoff Wood wrote:
Howard Waddell wrote:

Best,

Howy

'Squire' would be my favourite, on looks and specs so far.

I think that I have to agree with you -- though I may be biased by the fact that the Squire is the first blade that Steve has finished (just last night in fact) -- light, sweet and feels very capable!

Albion Swords Ltd
http://albion-swords.com
http://filmswords.com
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A Minor Pedantic Point

I noticed an inconsistency regarding the Regent Sword.

In your "title" area you call it an XVIIIa -

In the Regent description area, you call it an XVIIIb -

From its dimensions, I would call it a "b", but I realize that the differences between XVIII a's , b's, and c's are confusing, and have been redefined over the years.

I'm casting adoring looks at the Prince and will maybe put in an order for it soon.
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Very nice. I will be reserving one next week.

Question for Mr. Johnsson (or Mr. Waddell): Have you considered adding (in the future) a single-edged sword to the NG Viking line? For example, the specimen on p. 40 of SotVA. It's a simple but nicely-proportioned weapon with what looks like a 1-piece pommel construction.

Thanks,
Brian M

We have been discussing single edged vikings a lot. It is one of Eric´s favourite types. I like them a lot as well.
As there are quite a few variations in hilts for the doublee edged vikings to keep us occupied, I suspect a signgle edged viking will have to wait untill some of the medieval types are covered. It will probably happen. I guess it is more a question of when... Happy

Last edited by Peter Johnsson on Sat 29 Nov, 2003 3:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Peter Johnsson
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003 3:28 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Roger Hooper wrote:
A Minor Pedantic Point

I noticed an inconsistency regarding the Regent Sword.

In your "title" area you call it an XVIIIa -

In the Regent description area, you call it an XVIIIb -

From its dimensions, I would call it a "b", but I realize that the differences between XVIII a's , b's, and c's are confusing, and have been redefined over the years.

I'm casting adoring looks at the Prince and will maybe put in an order for it soon.

I confess: it´s my fault.
I am fond of the distinctions Oakeshott makes in his "Archaeology of Weapons". In "Records of the Medieval Sword" it seems he has simplified the system to include only one sub type. According to "Archaeology..." it is an XVIIIb, in "Records..." it would be an XVIIIa....
Eric McHugh
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003 4:47 pm    Post subject: Not Peter Johnsson, but I know him. :-)         Reply with quote

Brian M wrote:
Question for Mr. Johnsson (or Mr. Waddell): Have you considered adding (in the future) a single-edged sword to the NG Viking line? For example, the specimen on p. 40 of SotVA.

I have a design on my drafting table that I was going send to Peter for input. We talked a great deal about these weapons and we both like them very much. In fact, it is quite an obsession with me. While in Sweden we talked several time about sitting at PJ's table and drawing one, but alas good Scotch and sleep won out each time. I went home to design one patterned after the North Arhus farm sword (not sure what page in Vikings...) but I discovered that to do that sword with it's subtle fuller we need a bigger contact wheel; so with all of the other things on our plate it has been moved to the back burner; but rest assured, it will be brought to life!

Best,

Eric

Find me on Facebook, or check out my blog. Contact me at eric@crownforge.net or ericmycue374@comcast.net if you want to talk about a commission or discuss an available piece.
Joe Fults

Feedback score: 100%
(6 total ▮ 100% positive)
PostPosted: Sat 29 Nov, 2003 5:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I really like the squire too and I'm very interested to see what people think of it when it starts coming available. In the end the balance tipped to the Regent becuae I have a Type XVI on the way (probably in March). besides how could I not like the hollow grinding? BTW it would be interesting to see something done with hollow grinding and fuller(s) in the future.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Brian M

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2003 1:06 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Eric,

Glad to hear it. Despite being a pervasive type, as far as I know "single-edged Vikings" are totally ignored in the current reproduction market. The "Arhus Farm" sword is indeed the specimen on p.40 of SotVA. The few specimens (of single-edged Vikings) that I have seen all appear to have very subtle (shallow) fullers. I look forward to seeing that particular project realized.

By the way, I just received SotVA in the mail a couple of days ago and I have been reading it with great interest. Without doubt worth the investment for information that can't be found on the internet.

Brian
Joel Whitmore

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2003 6:04 am    Post subject: Gorgeous Type XIIa!         Reply with quote

Gosh you guys know where my heart lies! What a beautiful blade and you know I Like them long and proud Big Grin No Freudian comments please LOL. Seriously, it is a beautiful sword. Now where is that Christmas money? Gotta get in line Eek!
Lee Watts

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2003 10:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Cry looks like im the only one who's gutted i was so much looking forward to a type XII single handed with a style 2 cross from you guys.
guess il have to get one made
anyhow some great swords keep up the good work.
David McElrea

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 30 Nov, 2003 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looking at the Baron, I am thinking it has a rounded pommel. I just wanted to make sure I am correct in my assumption. It's not a straight wheel pommel is it, with a decorative cross in the middle? The shadow gives it an appearance of roundness, but I didn't want to place an order and be surprised later on Happy

Good work you guys!

Forum Index > Makers and Manufacturers Talk > myArmoury Exclusive Preview -- the next NextGens
Page 2 of 74 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: