Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help to clean and protect an old sword against rust. Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steve Sarak

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Need help to clean and protect an old sword against rust.         Reply with quote

Hi,
I just purchased this sword and was surprised by the level of rust. I need to clean and protect it, but considering the quality of the blade, I want to make sure to don't damage the blade or patina.
I'm not exactly sure how you tell the difference between active and inactive rust.
What would you suggest to clean the rust off the sword or as long as It's made inactive then its safe to leave on?.

Once clean, what would you suggest to protect the sword from any further rust. I read other posts about museum max, but considering the condition of the blade, I don't really want to rub wax into it unless absolutly nessesary( Its a little fragile).

I need your suggestion.

Heres a few pictures

Thanks
Steve

Attachment: 91.77 KB
IMG_0016 13.jpg

Steve Sarak

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 8:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2nd picture

Attachment: 93.72 KB
IMG_0015 18.jpg

Steve Sarak

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

3rd Picture

Thanks

Attachment: 94.59 KB
IMG_0017 12.jpg

Baird Todd

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have worked in museums for the last few years, and I can say if you are worried about applying Renaissance Wax to the blade, removing rust will be even more destructive. From the photos posted the patination/ rust doesn't look that bad. I would put on a coat of Renaissance Wax and then regularly monitor the blade. You may have to renew the coating every year or so, assuming it is not handled, but Ren. Wax keeps for a surprisingly long amount of time. Years in fact if the item is never handled. Without taking the sword to a professional conservator, you might be taking some risks doing any more yourself. Ren. Wax can be applied very lightly and will still protect. And in many cases, less is more. In fact, if you have a large enough oven, you can bake on a coat, 200-250 degrees for half an hour or so. Understand, I'm coming from the perspective of colections management, we tend to preserve, not restore. We are not bothered by signs of age. Also, when you're dealing with an item this old (as it appears) achieving a clean appearance my be impossible without destroying original material.
Steve Sarak

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 8:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm not bothered by the sign of age either, I'm just worried about leaving the rust on and have it corrode the blade any further. If I apply ren. wax will it stop the current rust from eating the blade? if so then your suggesting to wax it, in its current condition and leave it?

Thanks for the quick reply.

Steve
Baird Todd

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 9:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The stuff on the hilt doesn't look terrible, but the stuff on the blade may have to go. You might try a couple of products from the folks who make Ren. Wax (www.picreator.co.uk). The products are Prelim and Renaissance Metal De-Corroder. Both are controlable removers of corrosion, one is a paste, the other is a bath. Both can be purchased through Conservation Resources International. They should be able to advise you any further.
Baird Todd

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Also, before you lay down any money on fancy cleaners, you might just try a little WD-40. Let it sit for a few minutes and then wipe off with a clean cotton cloth. If the rust is fresh, it should come away without much hassle. And I've used this technique on the job, so don't worry. And as to you're actual question, yes you can wax the rust, but depending on storage and depth of oxidation, it may do no good.
Steve Sarak

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the help

Steve
Steve Sarak

PostPosted: Wed 09 Nov, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Do you know if the Renaissance Metal De-Corroder hurts the patina?

Steve
Baird Todd

PostPosted: Thu 10 Nov, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You should be able to control the rate and level of the scale removal but I'd contact the manufacturer or dealer mentioned in the above post for more info.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Need help to clean and protect an old sword against rust.
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic