Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > War Mallet/ two handed hammers, fact or fiction? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 
Gavin Kisebach

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 01 Aug, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Surely as many men would be carrying axes as hammers. I think it would be logistically taxing to carry big logs around on carts, vs. chopping down local trees and hacking them to a point.

Does anyone know if the flora in northern France would allow for this, or would you run the risk of not having the trees available when you need them?

I tried to look up some info on Crecy, I found a tourist site that describes "Crecy Forest, a magical woodland of mature beech, oak and conifer..." so I think local trees would be a better bet than hauling them around, but it begs the question; how quickly can five thousand archers make and deploy enough defensive stakes to roughly defend thier frontage? Should we measure it in stakes per hour, or yards of defense per hour? Big Grin

If it takes too long, or if availability might be uncertain, then I suppose the general is stuck with transporting premade stakes.
Lafayette C Curtis

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Chad Arnow wrote:
Elling Polden wrote:
One quite significant issue:
Just how would a longbow archer carry a wooden sledgehammer in addition to his bow and arrows?

He allready has his hands full, so he would have to somehow pass it through his belt, which would be awkward at best.

Extra arrows would be in the wagons. The archer might have 12-20 in a quiver on his belt or just tucked through them. The arrows wouldn't take up a hand or be much of a burden. So he has just the bow and mallet to carry. Of course, if he's English at certain times, he would be required to carry the big stake around, too, so his hands would get full. Happy

Wouldn't he be likely to carry a sword and buckler as well? Foreign observers like to emphasize the presence of those two items in an English archer's kit.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug, 2007 8:35 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Lafayette C Curtis wrote:

Wouldn't he be likely to carry a sword and buckler as well? Foreign observers like to emphasize the presence of those two items in an English archer's kit.

Perhaps. Or a long rondel or something. But those would be strapped to his belt like his arrows, and not taking up room in his hands, which was the original point I was responding to. The archer probably had a lot of equipment to deal with, but the mallet, stake, and bow would have competed for room in his hands since the arrows, sword, buckler, dagger, etc. could probably be strapped to his belt. Maybe the stakes were carried in wagons when danger wasn't imminent. Of course, on some of those campaigns, the English army was always in imminent danger.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug, 2007 7:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The combat of thirty is a well documented event in which a well-equipped man-at-arms used what seems to be a 25lb sledgehammer to great effect.

I don't believe anyone actually fought with such a heavy weapon. It's ridiculous. Pollaxes, two-handed maces, axes, halberds, and so on all tend to weigh between five and seven pounds. A few examples are bit heavier, but not twenty five pounds.
Gavin Kisebach

PostPosted: Thu 02 Aug, 2007 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

25 pounds has the distinct ring of dramatic license. Imagine trying to swing three gallon milk jugs on the end of a stick. You'd have to be a carnival strongman just to get the thing going. Confused
Ben C.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2007 2:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

25 pounds is not as unrealistic as it sounds. An old school boxing/wrestling strength and conditioning exercise was to beat a sledgehammer against a soft surface (such as a truck tire) for timed rounds. The hammers used ranged were typically 20 pounds for a trained athlete but some hard-core guys went into the 40 pound range. You can witness Ross Enamait training with a 20 pound hammer here;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fJWqx-zPffs

For the record Ross is a popular boxing/MMA strength and conditioning coach. He is a freak when it comes to strength but he still only weighs around 140-150 pounds. I've done the training myself and it is exhausting but I was able to handle a 20 pound hammer (I'm 205 pounds and bench 350, squat 490, deadlift 530). While it clearly would not make for an ideal weapon, I do believe it would be possible for a strong man to employ a weapon of that weight for a short period of time, especially if he was armoured and/or attacking opponents with somewhat restricted mobility (possible a densely body of troops?).

I'm not saying people did use them in battle, only that it is feasible. The odds are that someone at some time tried to use such weapons but that their effectiveness was quite limited and thus their use never became common. I'm sure more than a few warriors fell due to experimenting with less than ideal equipment over the ages.
Ben C.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I should also add that the style of sledgehammer training that Ross is doing in the video is Tabata intervals. That is 20 seconds of maximal effect followed by a 10 second break maintained for a total of 4 minutes. Ross is able to maintain 15-16 swings for each 20 second period which is very impressive and shows that it would be feasible for a strong man to use a heavy weapon for more than just a few swings. It's important to never underestimate just how big the difference is between a good athlete and an average Joe in terms of strength, power, speed, endurance and overall athleticism. I've done punch out boxing drills with more than enough people to know that an average guy will tire out faster hitting a bag with his bare hands than 140 pound Enamait does swinging a 20 pound hammer.
Ben C.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

one more sledgehammer training vid; this time the current number 1 mixed martial arts fighter in the world Emelianenko Fedor. Don't let his chubby highschool math teacher-like appearance decieve you, Fedor is 6' 230lbs and has consistantly beaten the best fighters around the world, often overpowering much bigger opponents. His style of training is very old-school and different to most modern fighters. In this video at the 30 second mark you can see the end of one of his sledgehammer training sessions. The difference is here he is using a 50-60 pound sledge... a 20 pound one would almost be a like a paperweight for him...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fBKxQqfR6s
Caleb Hallgren

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

25 lbs may indeed be dramatic license, although Ben has made an interesting argument as to it.

But even if he was 10 lbs off, a 15 lb hammer is BIG. And it still shows that big frickin' hammers were used, at least occasionally. And think what a hammer like that would do to a person, armor or not.
Caleb Hallgren

PostPosted: Fri 03 Aug, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

BTW Ben, kudos on the interesting videos.
Johan Käll

PostPosted: Sun 05 Aug, 2007 7:32 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well.. here is a picture of happy soldiers carrying... twohanded hammers.

Its swedes inwading finland on 'crusades'. Its a contemporary plate from early 15:th century, mabe even late 14:th

http://www.linea.se/joakim/medeltid/BiskopHenrik/

and.. you guys have missed one of the best 'pros' of the weapon. Its inexpensive. Even more inexpensive then a spear.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Tue 07 Aug, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
The odds are that someone at some time tried to use such weapons but that their effectiveness was quite limited and thus their use never became common.

Okay. I'm sure it's possible to use a huge hammer in battle. I'm equally certain it's a bad idea, except for murdering tired or otherwise disadvantaged foes.

Those videos are neat. If anything, they demonstrate why using such a heavy weapon is a bad idea, even for the strong. Ross is pretty quick, but the handle on the sledge is very short. You can probably get as much power from three or four-pound hammer on a six-foot shaft, but you aren't limited to all-or-nothing attacks.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > War Mallet/ two handed hammers, fact or fiction?
Page 5 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: