Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about Basket-Hilted reproductions Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Stephen Hughes

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 9:42 am    Post subject: Questions about Basket-Hilted reproductions         Reply with quote

After the Christmas season, I'll be able to add another sword to my small but growing collection, and have my heart set on a Scottish Basket-Hilt. My other two swords are Windlass, and seem to be of the better variety of their stock based on what I've been reading (I have the Shrewsbury and the High Renaissance Sword). They recently discontinued their Basket-Hilted Claymore (they still have the very affordable military pattern, but that's not what I'm looking for at this time). So I can't get it from Reliks (www.reliks.com), but have seen some Internet retailers that still have some in stock, and for comparable prices.

Reliks carried it for $300 Canadian and the Internet retailers seem to hover around $230 USD. Add shipping and whatnot and it's a lot, around $400 Canadian, which is as much as I can afford to spend. However... I've not had the chance to either handle or read a review of this model. Anyone have any experience of it?

Also, www.militaryheritage.com has a similar sword, with a steel basket, that looks promising and is $275 Canadian plus the usual shipping and tax. Truly though, I know nothing about their sowrds, who manufactures them, or whether they could stand up to service as a real tool of defense.

They say this of it: "this hand-forged reproduction is simply magnificant. The 31 1/2 inch tempered high-carbon steel blade is impressive with its wide, fullered, and well balanced construction (blade thickness: 7/32"). The 6 1/4" tall steel basket is blued, and lined with fine red wool. Historically this liner was sometimes removed. The grip is leather wrapped with copper wire. The scabbard is leather wrapped wood and with blued steel throat and chape pieces"

I cannot help but note there is no mention of the tang. So, I'm hoping someone here has knowledge of these swords, and would be so kind as to share it. Thank you!
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen,
Good basket hilt swords are often tough to find, especially in the sub-$500 range. I used to own the MRL Irish Hilt, and the basket was over-sized and not well-done. I have no experience with the other one they used to offer, but I've heard it's similarly over-sized.

Other options would include the Cold Steel basket-hilt which is slightly more expensive (depending on the retailer), but people seem to like them. More info can be found here: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=3151

The one you linked to looks a bit like the Cold Steel version.

Other options would be the basket-hilts from Hanwei/Chen/CAS Iberia. The two newer ones are said to be much better than the older two models. They all use stainless steel in their baskets (mirror polished on the older two, matte finished on the newer two).

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Stephen Hughes

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 10:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you. I'll take a look.
Konstantin Tsvetkov

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Stephen,
I started the mentioned thread and now can share my experience. Armour Class Early Basket blunt version is a good option for broadsword fencing practice and costs 200£ plus shipment, that is within the discussed price range. I tried once Del Tin baskethilt ( at least there was a deltin hallmark on the blade). That one felt good also, but I don't think that any of them would satisfy anyone as collectable items. Armour Class offer several really nice scottish baskethilt swords I am going to order some day, but the price range would be 500-700£.
Waiting time for Armour Class swords is now 18-22 weeks plus. My sciavona was ordered In June and was promised to come before Christmas.
I have to mention that I, personally, chose Armor Class also to avoid custom duties for items imported from the outside Europe, probably you, living in Canada, should consider it in opposite.
Cold Steel is a good option if you are ready to perform some finishing work on it, that is usually a pleasure for a collector.

Regards, Konstantin.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 11:19 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hello Steven,

The Hanwei/Chen/CasIbria backsword is a decent sword. I have the practical one and I think it handles well. The balance is quite good.
But the Armour Class Early Basket hilt is great! I have one (with a reenactment blade) and I love it. Its' balance is super!
www.armourclass.co.uk

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Stephen Hughes

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 12:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you for the replies. I think Armour Class no longer offers anything close to that price though, unless I missed something on their website. Too bad or I'd really consider it (that's $410 CDN and I could swing it). At this point I'm thinking that either a Cold Steel or a Paul Chen might be suitable for what I want. I'm very fond of elaborate hilts, but it's a problem for me, as I'm sinister. Someday I dream of having a custom type 2 schiavona made for left-handed use. Meanwhile, I'm very glad Basket-Hiled Claymores are ambidextrous.

As for which one I'll go with... that will bear some thinking and some further research. I've got almost 2 months before I plan to make the decision and purchase one, and will probably have to wait some time before it arrives.

Hmmm... could the sword on AC's site called "Dragoon Sword - Order Code SC14" be the one that has been referred to here (twice) as an early basket hilt?

Cold Steel, Hanwei, or Armour Class. Bears some thinking, and I certainly appreciate the advice you have all given me. I'll happily absorb any other wisdom on this subject that may be forthcoming!
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The AC Early basket hilt (found here: http://www.armourclass.co.uk/Data/Pages/17Century_Main3.htm ) costs 200£.

And there is a MRL Schiavona up on ebay now.

Good Luck!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 12:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out the new basket-hilt offerings of Darkwood Armory
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Thu 08 Dec, 2005 1:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The item number for that MRL Schiavona is: 6586332092

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Adam Lloyd

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I will also recommend Armour Class. They are a class act Wink
I bought a mortuary secondhand and its fabulous
Stephen Hughes

PostPosted: Fri 09 Dec, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I did own a Windlass Type 2 Schiavona exactly like the one on EBay, but exchanged it the next day for the High Renaissance Sword, reasoning that the discontinued sword was more of a score. It's even a little unusual in that it has something that looks like a nickel-chrome finish instead of the blackened finish they marketed.

The schiavona had a nice blade but the basket just didn't seem right. The sword was not horrible but didn't handle as well as my Shrewsbury did even one-handed. If the other basket hilts from Windlass exhibit the same characteristics, I'd as soon stay away from them and save up the cheddar for better made ones.

The thread about the Cold Steel basket hilt links to a Swordforum thread with pics of a Paul Chen version that is delectable, and a tease at the price of $180 USD, as I think prices are at _least_ 25% higher now. Still, $230-250 USD is acceptable, for the quality I really cannot complain.

The stuff on Armour Class is indeed nice. I see they do not put the Early Basket Hilt in their Scottish section, which is why I didn't find it before! Their Mortuary Hilt is beautiful too. When I'm ready to lay out bigger sums for the elaborately hilted swords, I will seriously consider them. Especially if I can get them to make me a left-handed schiavona!
Stephen Hughes

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Now that I've had a better look around, what impressions do people have of the English basket-hilts from Darkwood?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Hughes wrote:
Now that I've had a better look around, what impressions do people have of the English basket-hilts from Darkwood?

I like the look of the new ones on his site. I've only seen a few samples "in hand" and this was a long time ago: three years ago. They were quite nice for the price, but had baskets about 15-20% too large. Despite this, they were still smaller than most all reproductions on the market. Simply put, most modern makers make these things too large. Darkwood had good proportions on the samples I saw. At their price point, and with the variety of options he offers for finish, blade choice, etc, I'd say they're a good gamble for most anyone.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Stephen Hughes

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think Darkwood may be the way I go. I like the look of their English baskets, and with the Canadian/American exchangrate being so favourable ($1 US is now only $1.16 CDN), they are no longer as unattainable as they were when the US dollar was about $1.50 Canadian! Shipping is an easy matter too. The only alternate possibility, which either way I'll eventually go for, is that Early Basket Hilt that has been pointed out at Armour Class.

Someday in the future I'll try to handle Paul Chen and Cold Steel Scottish basket-hilts, and decide then which one I'd prefer.

I'm not sure about the particulars of importing from the UK. As long as the costs don't add up too astronomically (I think it will be a hard cap of $500 Canadian), I may well recondiser Darkwood for a future purchase and go for an Armour Class right away.

Thanks again for the feedback!
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Tue 13 Dec, 2005 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen,

I'll also throw in a kudos for Armour Class. Placing an order with them is a pleasent experience. Ian & crew do a really good job with their customer service. I simply love my Mortuary from them (which you'll see in the review section here). But on the the same note, Darkwood is also an excellent choice. Still hate that I had to let my side-sword from them go, but life has it's ups & downs. Either way, don't think you'll be disappointed which ever you choose, just making a choice is hard enough. It's good that your doing your research and asking questions, makes a big difference in the end.

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Questions about Basket-Hilted reproductions
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic