Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dynamics of a Javelin ?? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Kevin Toomey

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 11:06 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

(Thanks for that picture Peter.) Not only is that find a period of interest for me but answers a question I felt like asking. I have mounted my spears with the sockets flush because it seemed right. One was open seamed. My thinking was, without the shoulder the socket could be forced open, even with the shaft fully seated to the bottom of the socket, this could crush from impact, driving the head on further, and opening the seam. Perhaps a peened pin across the seam is enough to prevent this, or would a removable pin be best; that serves to draw the head down and an mostly keep it from falling off. Though I need more experience, it seems no good to try and balance the spear if you do not exceed the size of the socket, either with a barrel or butt taper. Not to ignore what Shane has said about wrapping, I am all for that if it has some historical evidences.

Does that sound right to anyone?

I admit that I only skimmed the Olympic dynamics page. J But, what do you guys think, would it be better to have the offensive javelin fly so that it would skim along the ground, rather than fly point down? Shane, I was wondering if you could explain more about balancing for different distances, even what distances would be helpful?

My throwing experience is not extensive. Lately I’ve been messing with a small palm size baton and cord, throwing a 5 foot fletched dart. My goal is a fast, accurate, level flight. I have never trimmed the fletching, which I think is the next thing to do, awa look into different cords. I’ve also harvested a few rabbits throwing 6 foot butt tapered hand thrown javelin, both with homemade tang and ferrule points.

I’ve never spent much effort to see how far I can throw. Mostly because I think the target would have to be large, completely unaware and I completely lucky. But, at say an average of 15 feet a good throw may be unavoidable. Maybe it’s all in the finger loops, which I haven’t figured out, (tips on those anyone?)

Does anyone have recommendations for a good replica of the Nydam spear(head) on the left PeterJ linked? Perhaps similar the small one you show Folkert.
Folkert van Wijk

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shifting the topic slowly from javelins to onehanded spears:

Elling Polden wrote:
Most of the time, you will hold it underhand, with the end of the spear rested under your elbow, or couched. You will also have a lot better control over the tip of your spear.

Interrestingly before even reading this post, I played around with my spear, doing exactly that....

Elling Polden wrote:

Our one handed spears are typicaly about 220cm long, with a 2 cm thick shaft.

Where did you get the data for this length from? I belief Celtic spears apear the have all different lengths probably starting somewhere in the range of 250 cm...
I guess the bigger spear points/blades would have bin used on the shorter staffs do to the ballance and the effect of a strike with the edge that would have bin less by longer poles...

Elling Polden wrote:

Historic one handed spear sockets are quite narrow. The spear shafts where clearly seen as highly expendable; No matter how thick it is, you will have to replace it if it takes a proper hit. they are thus quite light.

The overhand grip can be used for throwing or close combat, but has much shorter range, and is more tiring to maintain.

Basically, you would use the underhand grip in the line, and the overhand in one on one combat. (though drawing a backup weapon would probably be a better idea)

Do you find this all out by trying? Or is ther some historical (or modern) writing up on these technics??

A good sword will only be sharp, in the hands of a wise man…

I am great fan of everything Celtic BC, including there weapons.
Elling Polden

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The shaft diameter can be seen by the size of the sockets of the spearheads. As for length, it's basically experimentation.
Medevial norwegian sources states that your spear should not be longer than that you could touch the socket when the spear was standing next to you.
We use this for two handed spears, with the one handers being slightly shorter for balance.

My group does skirmish fighting; group fights with 4 to 50+ people on each side. The rules system is quite abstract and simple, so the realism level of the fighting isn't awfully high, but the tactics and maneuvering is quite enlightening. (the system was originally spawned by english viking groups...)
We are portraying 13th cent norwegian kingsmen, wich means we do a fair bit of fighting with one handed spears; preferably combined with a sword and dagger as backup.
We use the underhand grip almost exclusively, as we do not stab people in the face, or throw metal tipped spears.

But, again, it gives a fair idea of the use, range, and weaknesses of the one handed spear. Stabbing people in the face would up efficiency, but for close combat you still want your sword or dagger.
(The sequence goes spear-sword in attack, Spear-dagger-sword in defence; You get rushed, dropp the spear,pull your dagger to brawl, and if you get out of it alive, get the sword for the ensuing melee...)

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Wed 25 Jan, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I haven't been able to throw enough to plot out the distance to taper relationship yet, or even enough to get a good average. For hunting or are fairly close enemy you would be throwing it pretty flat, but most of the time you would be throwing an arched throw at enemys at any kind of distance.

Attached is a picture of our back yard that I found to be too small to throw in. I tried throwing from just in front of the far gate and it landed at about a 45 degree or greater angle about where I was standing to take the picture. That was probably just and averaged strength throw, so not even trying to throw as hard as I could. That was also bare handed, I haven't been able to try throwing with any kind of aid yet.

Shane

Attachment: 112.67 KB
houseback.jpg

Kevin Toomey

PostPosted: Thu 26 Jan, 2006 7:00 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Elling, Thanks for the insight of your experience. It sounds like fun, but I’d probably get hurt. One thing though, you said the shaft diameter can be seen by the sizes of the sockets. But this is not the case with the Nydam spear(s), nor the case with shorter darts that are obviously tapered. I suppose I don’t quite get your meaning.

Shane, that looks like it may be about 40 feet, but could be quite a bit more. Hard to say. What was it again that Nate had sent to you. May I get a copy?
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 11:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Shane Allee wrote:
I haven't been able to throw enough to plot out the distance to taper relationship yet, or even enough to get a good average. For hunting or are fairly close enemy you would be throwing it pretty flat, but most of the time you would be throwing an arched throw at enemys at any kind of distance...

This makes good sense to me. If you are hunting, accuracy is a major objective, and that would probably be hard to achieve with an arched throw for distance. In a battlefield situation, where there is a "target-rich" environment, you don't need the accuracy as much as the distance capability. The javelin world record has been at least as far out as around 110 meters in the past (shorter now, due to changes in the competitive javelin spec.) The battlefield is certainly not an athletic field, nor is the competitive javelin the same as an ancient combat javelin, but I would think that the effective range of a javelin on the ancient battlefield would still have been out beyond 200 feet. Does anyone have any data on this?

Shane Allee wrote:
...Attached is a picture of our back yard that I found to be too small to throw in....

Yeeow. That looks like a really small space for practicing javelin! If there is anything behind your yard, that could be dangerous Eek! . Of course, a javelin is supposed to be dangerous.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Kevin Toomey

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

True if we could throw or shoot something in a straight line, that'd be great. I meant trying to flatten a ballistic tragectory.

I see your point about massed targets, also finding them otherwise unaware, which I believe must be true for the jav to be effective at extreme range. wouldn't arrows and stones be more conveinient and just as annoying?

I just have it stuck in my mind that the javelin really comes into its own at some short distances just before long thrusting spears meet. Not to mention all that goes with, who what when and where.
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 1:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Kevin Toomey wrote:
...I see your point about massed targets, also finding them otherwise unaware, which I believe must be true for the jav to be effective at extreme range. wouldn't arrows and stones be more conveinient and just as annoying?

I just have it stuck in my mind that the javelin really comes into its own at some short distances just before long thrusting spears meet. Not to mention all that goes with, who what when and where.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "...some short distances just before long thrusting spears meet." I would expect the useful range of the javelin to be shorter than arrows (and, I suppose, stones, depending on how they are launched). In comparing the annoyance factor for the javelin with arrows and stones, the javelin is obviously sharper than a stone Laughing Out Loud, so, like an arrow, you get a penetration of the target. The javelin would also be heavier and longer than an arrow, so potentially more awkward for the person whose body or shield is struck. I think of the javelin as sort of an intermediate range weapon, and not limited to, say, just 20 or 30 feet, if that is what you meant. Of course, I say all this as just an academic exercise, without having ever thrown a javelin, or done any research on historic use of javelins. So, take it with a large 'grain of salt'.

"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Shane Allee
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 28 Jan, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nate sent me a copy of the chapter "Throwing the Javelin" out of R. Norman Gardiner's book Athletics of the Ancient World. It shouldn't be a problem to ILL it, that is how Nate got it.

As it always seems I will be falling back to the celtic iron age to make points, just because it is the most familiar to me. I'm not about to try and take way from the usefulness of a flat trajectory thrown javelin to a near target, but I also think longer throws were common and had a place. One thing to consider with the celtic warrior was that it wasn't uncommon for them to carry multiple javelins into battle. Now unless there is regular movement in and out of close range it doesn't seem like it would be worth the trouble to have more than one. Even then you would have to be fighting with the javelins still being held in the same hand as your shield grip. Also only the very front line would be able to throw them, as the other lines would have to throw them over the guys in front of them. Also with the la tene period celts we see a distinction of javelins and light throwing spear. Some times these light throwing spears are similar to pilum or argon, other times they are more like the regular spears only smaller and lighter. These to me really seem to be what would have been thrown in close.

At this time the celts did know of and use the bow, but its use for them always remained as a hunting tool rather than for warfare. The javelin and sling they did use for both, and both would have been effective in volleys at groups of solders. Shot from a sling would be harder to follow and faster, unless large, but would be limited to blunt trauma. Javelins have an advantage in penetration potential and making things such as shields a burden. So both do have unique advantages, and would cause problems to groups of people relatively near each other.

Shane
Kevin Toomey

PostPosted: Mon 30 Jan, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your response and time guys. I wish i had something more substantial to offer but this is for me an intresting topic and I just couldn't not respond in some way.

Yes I was intentionally vaugue. I am unsure, didn't mean to sound as if I were. If also consider the incumburance of sheild and additional weapons held by the thrower then the effective range is shortened, at least I would assume so.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Dynamics of a Javelin ??
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: