Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Effectiveness of chainmaille? Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next 
Benjamin H. Abbott

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
W.R. the particular Spanish expedition escapes me at this time but there's a record of the Spaniards on this particular expedition making fun of the obsidion tipped arrows used by thier Inian allies so they hung a maille shirt from a tree and the Indiand shoot these arrows right through it.

You're thinking Garcilaso de la Vega's account of Spanish expeditions in Florida, aren't you? Here's that part from the online version:

Quote:
Moscoso, in one of the first skirmishes with the Apalaches, received, in his right side, the shot of an arrow, which pierced his buff and his coat of mail without killing him, because the shot went aslant. The Spanish officers, astonished that a coat of mail of the value of a hundred and fifty ducats should be pierced by a single shot, wished to prove theirs, in order to know if they could depend upon them.

As they were then in the town of Apalache, those who wore coats of mail took a cane basket, strongly woven, and adjusted around it one of the finest coats of mail. They then unbound one of the Indian prisoners, gave him a bow and arrow, and commanded him to fire, at the distance of one hundred and fifty paces, upon this coat of mail. At the same time, the barbarian, having closed his fist, stretched himself, extended and bent his arm to awaken his strength, shot through the coat of mail and basket with so much force that the shot would still easily have pierced aman. Our people, who saw that a coat of mail could not resist an arrow, adjusted two of them to the basket. They gave an arrow to an Indian whom they ordered to shoot, and he pierced both of them.

http://www.mith2.umd.edu:8080/eada/html/displ...ction=show

Supposedly, after this happened, "they held their coats of mail of no account, which they, in mockery, called Hollaud cloth. Therefore they made, of thick cloth, doublets four inches thick, which covered the chest and the croup of the horses, and resisted an arrow better than anything else." Another version I've read says the cheaper, less burnished coats of mail did better against arrows than the shiny, expensive ones, but I can't find that part online. De la Vega also records other examples of arrows piercing mail:

Quote:
In the melee, as Soto raised himself in his stirrups to pierce an Indian, he was shot behind. The arrow broke his coat of mail and entered quite deep into his buttock. -Nevertheless, for fear that the wound might abate the courage of his men, and elevate that of the barbarians, he concealed the wound that he had received and did not extract the arrow, so that he could not sit down.

Quote:
As this cavalier was crossing a stream where the troops were attacked, an Indian, concealed behind a bush, discharged at him an arrow so violently that after leaving broken his coat of mail, it pierced his right thigh, passed through the saddle-bow, and entered into the body of the horse, which, quite furious, rushed out of the stream, bounded over the plain, and tried, by kicking. to disengage the arrow, and throw his rider. The Spaniards who were then engaged near this soldier ran to his assistance, when they perceived that the arrow lead pinned him to the saddle, and as the troops were camped quite near the stream, they led him to the quarters. Immediately they adroitly raised him, and cut the arrow between the saddle and his thigh. They also unsaddled the horse, and the Spaniards were surprised that a cane arrow-, armed only with a cane point, had penetrated so far.

It must be noted, though, that de la Vega was not an eyewitness to the conquest of Florida and his account gets things wrong in various places. A closer to the fact Portuguese account says that the arrows of the Amerindians of Florida penetrated as deeply as crossbow bolts when they hit an unarmoured spot, but says nothing about their ability to pierce armour.

Quote:
But never I´ll Know how many J do my bow.

Well, testing your shots with a chronograph would solve that problem. It's getting access to a chronograph that's the trick.

You were using a modern "laminated glass limb" bow, correct? Given such high arrow weights, I'd guess something like 70-80% efficiency, or 47-54 J. That's only a guess, though. At point blank, that's roughly equal to an arrow from a heavy longbow that's lost half of its kinetic energy. Anyone know at what range arrow energy goes to 50%?

By the way, Julio, thank you for performing such a test. We need to see more tests of quality mail.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 12:52 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It is a quite noticable fact that the armour piercing capabilities of weapons in written accounts increase proportionally with the distance in time and space between the writer and the actual event.

This is quite visible in the norse sagas, where the ones describing events long past speak of "Hewing in wrath to both sides, and neither mail or helm could stand against him", while the ones written about more or less contemporary events speak of "And he was hit by a spear squarely between the shoulderblades, but he had mail and a strong arming coat, and the spear bounced of"

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
-Reidar Sendeman, from King Sverre's Saga, 1201
Dan Howard

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

According to Hardy, a longbow arrow only loses about 15-30% of its energy at the end of its trajectory since it picks up some energy on the downward part of the arc. So for a better test against Julio's mail we need a much heavier bow since, even at point blank, a 50 lb bow doesn't have enough energy. In The Great Warbow, Hardy gives good arguments for revising the Mary Rose draw weights back up to 150-160 lbs for a typical bow and Strickland gives good arguments that typical warbows had similar draw weights from at least the 13th century. Unless we can find someone capable of firing a 150 lb warbow then we are probably better off testing the mail against crossbows.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Effectiveness of chainmaille?         Reply with quote

C. Stackhouse wrote:
I know that chainmaille has been around for over 1000 years

Actually it has been around for almost 2500 years and saw continuous use in battle for at least 2000 years. There have been several pre-Roman finds in Celtic parts of Europe. The earliest was in Cuimesti and has been dated to 4-5th C BC.
Jean-Carle Hudon

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think that chain maille's usefulness was measured up solely against archery as it would probably have been discarded, just as civil war soldiers dumped heavy plate armor on their marches, because although plates could stop a minie ball, they were just too heavy to carry, and useless against cannon balls, and all the other wounds a man could sustain, so the soldiers simply discarded the heavy metal pieces by the roadsides. Chain maille on the other hand was kept in use through thousands of years, and in many cultures, some of which made heavy use of archery in warfare, so you have to figure that all these warriors chose to keep wearing the stuff for some valid reason. I have always thought that maille would protect agains anything but a direct thrust, be it bodkin point or spearhead or the point of a sword. In other words maille would save from cuts, which is quite significant as people would die from cuts, nasty festering deaths....
As for the direct hit, the maille would slow down the projectile, allowing the under padding to be of greater use. In some instances, if the projectile lacked momentum, then the combination of maille and padding would be very effective, more so than the padding alone. We survive most germs today, they didn't, so we don't think much of a slash, but it must have scared the hell out of them. Where maille is a real disappointment is in the realm of protection from bruises and such. Whether we do live steel reenactment or stick (rattan) fighting, mail is just heavy gook looking stuff. You need the rigid protection to allow the blow to spread over a surface to absorb the impact. So the shot to the side of a maille-wearing warriorwith a sharp sword,even with the proper undergarment, would still impact, but the edge of the sword would not bite through. That by itself would justify the continued use of that form of protection.

Bon coeur et bon bras
Sam Barris

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Elling Polden wrote:
It is a quite noticable fact that the armour piercing capabilities of weapons in written accounts increase proportionally with the distance in time and space between the writer and the actual event.

This is quite visible in the norse sagas, where the ones describing events long past speak of "Hewing in wrath to both sides, and neither mail or helm could stand against him", while the ones written about more or less contemporary events speak of "And he was hit by a spear squarely between the shoulderblades, but he had mail and a strong arming coat, and the spear bounced of"

Homer does that, too, albeit with shields and non-mail armor. I especially like when a thrown spear goes straight through something like fifteen layers of the hoplon, then right through the dude's arm, then through the breastplate, body and backplate. It might even keep going and kill someone else who was standing behind the first guy. I know half of these guys were demigods with Olympian spear-throwing mojo, but still... Happy

Pax,
Sam Barris

"Any nation that draws too great a distinction between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools." —Thucydides
Chris Lee

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Please allow me to add a thought or two....

As has been mentioned, maile was in use for a significant period of time. Some have suggested that this was because it worked and why discard something that worked. While I don't disagree with this there may be another reason. Perhaps they continued to use maile not just because it worked but also because that was all they had. What I mean is, before the introduction of plate armour, what else was there? Even if it was not 100% effective it still did offer some protection and was by far, better than no protection at all. Even after the advent of plate, maile was still found to be useful.

Another thought that I have been having is with regards to technology and humans thoughts about it. As modern men and women we are used to technology moving forward in leaps and bounds. Each new discovery or invention is adopted almost without thought. This was not always the case. Technology, especially in medieval times crawled forward at a snails pace (compared to modern times) with many years between each development. This would lead to a longer use of technologies like maile. There may also been some hesitation on the part of men and women of that era in accepting newer technologies as they came forth. This would again prolong the use of "trusted" technologies like maile. People of those times were, for the most part, uneducated, ignorant and superstitious. They may have been afraid or unable to let go of something that did show some usefulness.

As we look back at history we naturally compress the time frames we study into manageable chunks. Each one perhaps like a chapter or two in a book. Some times we forget that these chunks span many generations of human lives. A medieval person could live their entire life with little or no technological changes. Lifes as he/she knew it would have been the same from the time they were born, until the time they died. This is not true for todays man or women. Just think about all the new technologies that have been adopted in the last 30 years alone. How about the last 20 years or even 10 years. The pace of change seems to be accelerating for us. For them, there would have little or no changes.

Just a thought or two I had while reading this topic.

Chris Lee
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jan, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
In The Great Warbow, Hardy gives good arguments for revising the Mary Rose draw weights back up to 150-160 lbs for a typical bow and Strickland gives good arguments that typical warbows had similar draw weights from at least the 13th century.

Wow... 150+ lbs for a typical bow? That's fairly amazing, considering that today only a handful of people can draw such bows, much less use them effectively. I know they trained a great deal, but I would think plenty of folks would be physically incapable of becoming that strong. But then the military archers were a rather select group...

I guess I'll have to read about it. My copy of the book comes in a week or so...
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 3:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Benjamin H. Abbott wrote:
Quote:
In The Great Warbow, Hardy gives good arguments for revising the Mary Rose draw weights back up to 150-160 lbs for a typical bow and Strickland gives good arguments that typical warbows had similar draw weights from at least the 13th century.

Wow... 150+ lbs for a typical bow? That's fairly amazing, considering that today only a handful of people can draw such bows, much less use them effectively. I know they trained a great deal, but I would think plenty of folks would be physically incapable of becoming that strong. But then the military archers were a rather select group...

I guess I'll have to read about it. My copy of the book comes in a week or so...

no there weret Wink it was british law in the war of the roses that men must train with there bows after church in certain households.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Mail will protect you from all but the most determined melee attacks, and as such makes a immense difference in your combat effectiveness and fighting style.
The transition from beeing killed or crippled by almost any hit, to beeing able to "take one on the chest" is pretty huge.
A armoured fighter can attack without fear of random counterattacks, draw cuts or similar. (They might still hurt him, but seldom seriously). A unarmoured opponent, on the other hand, can go down from a single hit, and has to be a lot more defensive.
As such, the moral advantage of armour is also huge.

When one looks at the weapons made to fight armour, these are very seldom "Single high energy hit" weapons.
The hand weapons are made for maneuverability in close combat, the poles for or hooking and grappling potential(like the bill); the modes of attack are either "pressure thrusts" (Daggers, halfsword, spears) or rapid series of strikes (Maces, picks, and the like)
Weapons made to defeat opponents that do not go down from single strikes.

The 14th century also saw the replacement of the spear and shield as the primary combat loadout to two handed polearms. Quite likely due to the increased availability and effectiveness of armour.

"this [fight] looks curious, almost like a game. See, they are looking around them before they fall, to find a dry spot to fall on, or they are falling on their shields. Can you see blood on their cloths and weapons? No. This must be trickery."
C. Stackhouse

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. I didn't know that chainmaille actually protected against stabs and thrusts, even arrows.
In that case I can see why it was so widely used.
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I too believe that maillle must have been caapble of stopping blows and arrowheads, otherwise it would hav been dumped very quickly.

Metal was scarce, and construction of maille was labor intensive. Too much hassle for a purely decorative garment.

Possibly the key is in the fact that modern mail is steel and almoste ever butted, so it is frail, while soft iron would absorb better blows. by bending, as said above

Last but not least, the Bowyers bible states unanimously that yew bow can at most dra 60 - 65 libs.

Some experienced bowman may create 70 libs bow from yew, not more.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
it was british law in the war of the roses that men must train with there bows after church in certain households.

Of course, but I figure they would have tried to select the best archers to go out on campaign. I can't believe everyone in 14th to 16th century England could draw a 150+ lb bow. Hard to say for sure, though. I only know that a Tudor military manual reminds the reader to match the bow to the strength of the man, suggesting some variation.

Quote:
When one looks at the weapons made to fight armour, these are very seldom "Single high energy hit" weapons.

Most polearms can be used for such a purpose. Di Grassi says partisans were made to "break the mail and divide the iron."
C. Stackhouse

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:

Last but not least, the Bowyers bible states unanimously that yew bow can at most dra 60 - 65 libs.

The english longbow is made of yew and can have a draw weight of 150lbs.
Martin Wallgren

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wonder how much resistans a Gamboiseed Ringmaille would offer to a Roman javelin, It just struck me they look desinged to pierce just that!
Swordsman, Archer and Dad
Bruno Giordan

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

C. Stackhouse wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

Still a mere 67.5 kilos.

A well assessed uppercut may deal a stronger blow.
Benjamin H. Abbott

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:

A arrow from 150 lb longbow would have 100-130 J of kinetic energy. According to Alan Williams, a single-handed axe or sword would have 60-130 J, while a strong man with a two-handed weapon might get up to 200 J. Personally, I think Williams numbers are bit low. Based on how hard the pros swing bats, I think an expert with a longsword could hit with perhaps 300 J. A mighty swing from a heavy polearm would probably exceed that.

Of course, that's just kinetic energy. Momentum is another part of the story, and a punch will almost beat an arrow in that respect.
Dan Howard

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jan, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Horsfal et al supports some of Williams' figures. Horsfal's test concluded that the maximum energy a person could deliver with an underhand stab is 63 J and overarm is 115J. I doubt one could deliver an uppercut with much more energy than an underarm stab.
Elling Polden

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 4:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Penetration and energy transfer are vitaly important to damage/penetration as well.
What makes a arrow able to pierce mail is the fact that it only targets ONE ring; the one it hits. A broader weapon will have to defeat more.

Also, few full force blows ever land. And if they do, they might hit at an odd angle, be partially deflected, and so on.

One of the nice things about thrusting weapons is that you can push the weapon after the stab, to make a partial or shallow penetration efficient; A spear fighter could sneak through an opening in the enemy's defences, and then apply his body weight.
Similar with daggers or half swording.

C. Stackhouse

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jan, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bruno Giordan wrote:
C. Stackhouse wrote:
Bruno Giordan wrote:

Still a mere 67.5 kilos.

OHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHhhh. I was thinking pounds rather than kilos... -_-' my bad Razz

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Effectiveness of chainmaille?
Page 2 of 5 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: