Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword hanger how-to Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 7:46 am    Post subject: sword hanger how-to         Reply with quote

http://photobucket.com/albums/d199/drustynail/Scabbard%20Strap/ DAn on firestryker posted this how to on sword belts. i think its really cool blow by blow explaination. any idea on how period this is?
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't know about the last two steps (the "belt loop"). I haven't seen that, but a hook was usually used to do the same thing. You can see an example by looking at the ones Albion offers for The Regent, The Viceroy, and The Brescia Spadona. Other than the loop vs. the hook, it is correct for 15th century swords. I think it was used in the 16th century as well.

-Grey

P.S. That's a pretty cool tutorial. I kinda wish I had had that when I was trying to figure it out.

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company

Last edited by Greyson Brown on Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:43 pm; edited 1 time in total
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That's really useful; thanks for posting it!
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just noticed this, but Albion has an extra step in the way they tie theirs, right after Dan's 9th step (labeled "tuck below"). Rather than tucking the loose end through the loops and going along the belt portion, they bring it in front (over the top and then down), tuck it under the center strap, and bring it around behind. It then goes diagonally upwards across the back of the scabbard (I'm guessing it is threaded through the straps again) and finished by being the buckle portion of the belt.

I don't know which is right, or if it really matters. I do think Albion's method gives the strapping just a little more character. I like it from an ashtetic point of view. Historically speaking, I would guess that Albion's is closer, as their method makes more sense for having the buckle end of the belt protrude on the correct side, but I don't think that I have seen any historical artwork with enough detail to tell. Even the historical picture on the Viceroy scabbad page doesn't show the belt attachment well enough for me to be able to say with certainty. Now I'm really curious.

-Grey

Edited: I had originally thought that Dan's and Albion's were opposite (and posted to that effect), but I realized that the difference is actually in the extra step.

Cole Sibley

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very nice, thanks for that. I find it quite useful. In fact I think it would make a fine start for an article for myArmoury Happy
Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jan, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Rod Walker just finished up his scabbard, and used a method close to the one that Dan uses. His scabbard uses three attachment points rather than two, so he doesn't have the buckle coming off the opposite side. Additionally, he crosses one band of the strapping over another. This also results in two of the bits that wrap around the loose end being directly overlapped. You can see his completed scabbard and suspension system on the second page of this thread. Here's one of the pictures from that post, though:

-Grey

Greyson Brown

PostPosted: Sun 12 Mar, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I just made one other discovery:

The pictures that Chuck linked to are essentially backwards. If you follow the pictures exactly, the suspension is set up for a left-handed user. If you are right handed, all you really need to do is orient your scabbard the other way (so the tip points up and right, rather than down and left) then just do what the pictures show.

-Grey

Sean Smith

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Anyone have the pictures saved? The link doesn't work any more...
Al Muckart

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jun, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Sean Smith wrote:

There's a step-by-step guide from forumite Mathieu Harlaut in this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6361

--
Al.
http://wherearetheelves.net
Michele Hansen

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 18 Mar, 2011 1:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Al Muckart wrote:
Sean Smith wrote:

There's a step-by-step guide from forumite Mathieu Harlaut in this thread: http://www.myArmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?t=6361

Thanks, Mr. Muckart. I tried and failed to find the link as well. To expand a bit. Are there any good modern examples of contemporary late 13th C. belts? They were often much wider than the ones on this thread. Thanks!

Il est apelée de Montfort. Il est el Mond, et si est fort. Si ad grant chevalrie; Je vois et je m’ acort. Il eime le droit, et het le tort. Si avera le mestrie!
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sat 07 Mar, 2015 9:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greyson Brown wrote:
I just noticed this, but Albion has an extra step in the way they tie theirs, right after Dan's 9th step (labeled "tuck below"). Rather than tucking the loose end through the loops and going along the belt portion, they bring it in front (over the top and then down), tuck it under the center strap, and bring it around behind. It then goes diagonally upwards across the back of the scabbard (I'm guessing it is threaded through the straps again) and finished by being the buckle portion of the belt.

Does anyone have a good picture of this, showing both the back and side with the straps exiting?

Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!
Jared Smith

Spotlight topics: 3

PostPosted: Sun 08 Mar, 2015 7:44 pm    Post subject: bump to post         Reply with quote

Just giving this a bump. I had seen buckles on the suspension of the late medieval scabbards in the DBK Custom site gallery of finished scabbards. I figure someone has a tied on suspension that can show how the back side looks and explain how the loose end from the completion of the wrap is brought out.
Absence of evidence is not necessarily evidence of absence!

Forum Index > Off-topic Talk > sword hanger how-to
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic