Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search

myArmoury.com is now completely member-supported. Please contribute to our efforts with a donation. Your donations will go towards updating our site, modernizing it, and keeping it viable long-term.
Last 10 Donors: Daniel Sullivan, Anonymous, Chad Arnow, Jonathan Dean, M. Oroszlany, Sam Arwas, Barry C. Hutchins, Dan Kary, Oskar Gessler, Dave Tonge (View All Donors)

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Where can I get custom made weapons Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Steven E

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Where can I get custom made weapons         Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the right forum for this post or not, but I'm wondering if there is a reputable arms seller that will make custom weapons.

Thanks.

Mary had a little lamb,
Her father shot it dead.
The next time that lamb went to school,
It was between two slabs of bread
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There are several, but it depends on what you're after. What kind of weapon, what are you looking for in the weapon, and how much are you willing to pay? Arms and Armor, for instance, does some wonderful custom work on European medieval and Reniassance hand to hand arms, but they probably aren't the first choice to go to for a Chinese dao, or a flintlock pistol.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 6:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Check out the links page http://www.myArmoury.com/links.html for a good long list of makers and manufacturers. They should be able to point you in the right direction Happy
Steven E

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

What I want is a basic polearm, only with a blade at both ends, and I'd want the most inexpensive thing available. If you can't think of anyone that could help me with that, even a reference to a good tuitorial on building a polearm would be helpful, preferably written in terms that can be understood by someone new to weapons making.
Mary had a little lamb,
Her father shot it dead.
Russ Ellis
Industry Professional

Reading list: 42 books

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 7:34 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

This probably isn't exactly what you had in mind:

but it shows that these guys are willing to try that sort of thing at least. Check them out here:

http://www.ollinsworddesign.com/

TRITONWORKS Custom Scabbards
Jeff Pringle
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 8:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
wondering if there is a reputable arms seller that will make custom weapons...

Quote:
...and I'd want the most inexpensive thing available.

Could you be a little more oxymoronic?
Wink
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Pringle wrote:
Could you be a little more oxymoronic?
Wink

Jeff,
This is hardly a worthwhile or helpful statement on your part. Steven seems new to this and may not know that custom weapons and armour are typically very expensive. Rather than throwing out a statement like yours, why not take the time to explain and/or educate?

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Sun 22 Jan, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven;

You could check out these sites: You can buy two spear heads and mount them on a shaft ? May not be what you are looking for but for custom work you have to start close to $1000 .

These sites have very affordable stuff: http://www.thesteelsource.com/
http://www.museumreplicas.com/webstore/home.aspx

If you check out A & A they have some pollarms as standard items and these are quality weapons from $130 for a simple spear to about $500 for a Pollaxe. they also will do true custom work but that is at the $1000 level I mentioned before.
http://www.arms-n-armor.com/

At least these sites may give you an idea about what you might like to try and make yourself.

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Laurie W
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 4:49 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Quote:
What I want is a basic polearm, only with a blade at both ends, and I'd want the most inexpensive thing available.

As you are a newcomer, remember this.
When you engage a custom maker, you are also drawing upon that person's deep well of experience in making all sorts of weapons, from the very basic to the most elaborate. This is gained through years of practical and theoretical, working knowledge. Skills in working different metals, equipment and materials.....as well as the time/effort. This also includes that elusive quality called "aethestics" by which a good custom maker will produce something that will both look good and feel/handle best.

A customer's "dream piece" is a wonderful thing but even a fantasy piece has to conform to some concept of form and function. People have sent us drawings of weapons they think would look "cool", "rad" or "boss" (or whatever the current "word" for it is) On paper or in a painting, that may be. But be quite unweildy in reality. Why going to a custom maker is a good idea. This way, you can draw upon their hardwon knowledge to help you, with suggestions and insight, to get that "Dream piece". You can be insistant on having a particular item made according to whatever YOU may believe it's dimensions should be. But please do not fault the maker after he, or she, has counselled differently and the piece proves not quite the "dream piece" afterall. Of course, you never misuse or abuse any weapon.

"Inexpensive" does not necessarily mean "cheap". "Cheap" can also mean shoddy workmanship and bad materials. As pointed out, you can get a good, serviceable, basic spear for over $100 or more from a custom maker. Or an "inexpensive", "cheap" mass produced commerical product for well under that. Although I will add, there are some commerical products that are better than others (abit of "custom" snobbery here). Of course, you have to consider your intentions too. At least, with a custom piece there is less likely a chance of it handling awkward, being out of balance or breaking the first few times practicing your martial arts with it. The head or heads not breaking off the pole, snapping or bending out of shape.

Quote:
If you can't think of anyone that could help me with that, even a reference to a good tuitorial on building a polearm would be helpful, preferably written in terms that can be understood by someone new to weapons making.

There are places on the web that will show you how a polearm is made. Just type in a "how to make"? question in any Search engine. Use this suggestion as part of your "Homework" to add to your beginning knowledge of WeaponsCraft.

Question: "How do you get to Carnegie Hall?"
Answer: "Practice, practice, practice"

So, you want to try making your own. Good. There is no better way to appreciate a weaponsmith's craft than to try it yourself and give you better insight. Go to other sites and look at basic, plain polearms. Look over and study them carefully. Then think about how it may have been done. Even how you might have done it. It is not completely as easy as it looks but you never know, you just might have the "knack". May even decide making more yourself, if you have the means (and access to a shop/garage.) With time and abit more skills, even become a custom maker yourself.

Then come back to myArmoury, or one like it, to show off your creation and get some feedback. We all had to start from the beginning sometime. Some older custom smiths, like my husband, had no one to help them at first. They were pretty much on their own. But that has changed in the last couple of decades with places like this and increased interest in reenactment. The Internet is a good tool for a beginning weaponscrafter

Laurie Wise-Fraser, FSA Scot.

Kirby Wise-Fraser FSA Scot. & Son
Arms and Armour

Last edited by Laurie W on Mon 23 Jan, 2006 5:14 am; edited 2 times in total
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 4:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

On the do-it-yourself front, shopping with MRL for a couple of pieces to use as parts might net you something reasonably priced and (depending on the piece) fairly functional. The other advantage is if you shop for parts that use similar (round or square) hafts, they are probably made to accept the same diameter haft across their product lines.
Jeff Pringle
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 7:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I apologize to Seven E and the forum for my previous unhelpful and indeed unworthy comment!
Jeff
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hey Steven,

Another thing to consider when commissioning custom work is the time it will take to complete the piece whether it's based off an existing historical artifact, or a 'fantasy' weapon from a game, book, or movie. Don't be surprised if you have to wait 1 or 2 years before the item is in your hands.

Though I don't own any custom work (hopefully someday!) I think it would be hard to know how long it would take to make a one-of-a-kind item, and any maker would tell you that. I'd be surprised -- even shocked -- if a custom-made item was completed in eight months or less. Good luck! Wink

Ted

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 12:10 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well with my Langue de Boeuf custom pollarm its about 6 to 8 months of waiting time, which is actually very fast for custom work and A & A respects it's approximate delivery time estimate as opposed to horror stories of people waiting 5 years to get their project finished when they were originally promises less than a year. So dealing with people with a good reputation for good customer service is essential if one wants to avoid a lot of frustration.
You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Edward Hitchens

Reading list: 9 books

PostPosted: Mon 23 Jan, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jean Thibodeau wrote:
A & A respects it's approximate delivery time estimate as opposed to horror stories of people waiting 5 years to get their project finished when they were originally promises less than a year. So dealing with people with a good reputation for good customer service is essential if one wants to avoid a lot of frustration.

Good point Jean. In fact, perhaps it's better for the maker to not give a timetable at all unless there's a strong enough degree of certainty of when the item will be finished. In Steven's case, he indicates he wants a polearm. What if the wooden shaft of his weapon is made of some exotic wood like vermillion or purpleheart? Just getting the materials can be a task that could take 5 days or 5 months.

Hey Steven, I concur with Jean about Arms&Armor. They've always been accurate to their delivery times and they're good people to work with. Happy

"The whole art of government consists in the art of being honest." Thomas Jefferson
Steven E

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow...there are a lot of helpful people in here...thanks guys, and I'll probably get back to you later, after I've sorted through everything you've given me.[/img]

Attachment: 2.38 KB
seungmina_w_1.jpg
I don't know if this helps at all, but what would be ideal is something like this, only with a similar blade at the other end.

Mary had a little lamb,
Her father shot it dead.

Last edited by Steven E on Tue 24 Jan, 2006 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Welcome Steven, there are a number of people and companies to get custom weapons made, my personal favorite is Arms & Armor @ www.arms-n-armor.com but as was said, custom weapons are quite a bit of money.

I look forward to hearing more from you, this is hands down my favorite website to learn from!

Bob
Alexander Ren

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven,

If you do end up deciding now or in the future to go the do it yourself route, albion has a page with assorted odds-and-ends that can be used for that sort of thing.
http://www.albion-swords.com/moat.htm

Alex

"The more you sweat in practice, the less you bleed in battle."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Chuck Russell

Reading list: 46 books

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jan, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Steven E wrote:
Wow...there are a lot of helpful people in here...thanks guys, and I'll probably get back to you later, after I've sorted through everything you've given me.[/img]

ug i cant remember for sure, but do a search for pole arms in this board. someone posted one that looked almost like that i think not too long ago.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Where can I get custom made weapons
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic