Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Next Gen Crecy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Jörg W.

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I own a Crecy myself, and its length just fits me. Guy Windsor ("The Swordman's Companion") suggests the sword to be as long as the way from your feet to about your spine. When i handled it the first time I had no idea how to grip it. I gripped the pommel automatically and it felt comfortable and right. The lever gets bigger and you cant knot your arms that easily. As already said the pommel will rotate in your hand while moving from one guard to another and sometimes I just loosely grip it with thumb and forefinger (right Ochs) while i grip the pommel more firm in the cut. I'm just starting to learn the german system (without instructor), but as long as it works i hope it cant be all wrong.
I also love this design, capable of cutting and trusting and with rather simple lines and an nice fuller. Though stiffer blades may be even better for Liechtenauers style, like Type XVa (The Agincourt) or Type XVII (The Sempach).

And I also doubt that this will be your last sword, especially if you are about to learn the art of longsword fighting. Wink
Roger Hooper

Spotlight topics: 4

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Well, I prefer a sword where I have the choice of using both hands on the grip or slipping the off hand onto the pommel. So, much as I like the Crecy, the Talhoffer or Agincourt would be better for me. I'm really waiting for the Gallowglass to come out.
R. D. Simpson

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for all your input, folks. I just put in my order for a Crecy.
So, tell me guys, how long is this big stupid grin going to last?
Big Grin
Eric Nower

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. D. Simpson wrote:
I just put in my order for a Crecy.
Big Grin

It never stops...... it only gets worse with time Laughing Out Loud

May God have mercy on my enemies, for I shall have none.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeremiah Swanger wrote:
Roger Hooper wrote:

Thanks, Nathan. That's just a touch too short. I need a seven inch minimum grip length for two hands without having to slip one onto the pommel.

The grip on my bastard sword is barely six inches, so I have to grip the pommel. I have found that wheels work better for this than scent-stoppers, because wheels nestle neatly in the palms of my (fairly) meaty hands. I find it much more comfortable than the comments on the forums suggest...

I think this is anouther good example of individual preference. Unfortunately I think preference is often overlooked in reviews and discussions, but should be considered. I really like this thread because I think its done a very good job at accounting for individual preference so far.

My waster has a scent stopper. Because I drill with it periodically, probably handling it more than anything else, I'm more comfortable with the scent stopper. That said, I can easily see the case being revered if I played with a round stopper more often.

Interesting thread so far. Cool

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

R. D. Simpson wrote:
Thanks for all your input, folks. I just put in my order for a Crecy.
Big Grin

Until something more interesting comes along. Unfortunately, eventually something more interesting will come along. Its just part of the process. Enjoy the journey, the expereince and the learning. Just pray that your wallet has a high pain tolerance along the way.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Tue 31 Jan, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
I think this is anouther good example of individual preference. Unfortunately I think preference is often overlooked in reviews and discussions, but should be considered. I really like this thread because I think its done a very good job at accounting for individual preference so far.

Joe,
This is a great point. I know I've tried to factor that into my reviews, though I don't know how successful I've been. Handling, performance, aesthetics, etc. can all be subjective and are largely slaves to individual preference. The vast variety of surviving swords should tell us that personal preference has always ruled. I know there have been swords I've reviewed/handled that I haven't cared for. That doesn't make them bad, just bad for me. The fact that they don't fot my needs doesn't mean they won't fit the needs of others.

For me, I love the Crecy. But my needs/wants may be very different from other people's. I'm not a martial artist or reenactor. The only need the Crecy doesn't fit for me is my need for something visually different enough from other swords in my collection to justify purchasing it. Happy

As for reviews and posts, people should keep in mind that there are few absolutes and that the opinions expressed are solely those of the individual doing the writing. Happy People sometimes speak in absolutes about subjective things; it's up to the reader to decide how much stock to put in those opinions.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Question about Next Gen Crecy
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: