Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first Albion: the Crecy Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Chris Lampe

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Beautiful sword and I also really like the grip color.

The Crecy is near the top of my short-list if I decide to purchase another sword in the near future.
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Albion: the Crecy         Reply with quote

Jonathan Blair wrote:
My wife though wasn't too thrilled, having invisioned the money going to a new entertainment system or something else for the house.

A little known wife secret is that things you buy for you are only for you, and are as such, selfish things. Things she buys, especially things for the house, are things for both of you and are thus shared unselfish purchases, even when they are things you would never consider buying. Also remember that when she spends the rent on some piece of decor that's on sale, she was only saving you money.

BTW great looking sword.

If you want to buy more in the future, unless the two of you have maintained seperate bank accounts, I'd recommend that you negotiate yourself a small toy allowance that gets set aside in a seperate unshared account. Its worked fairly well for me anyway.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd

Last edited by Joe Fults on Sun 23 Apr, 2006 7:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Craig Peters

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Albion: the Crecy         Reply with quote

Joe Fults wrote:
Jonathan Blair wrote:
My wife though wasn't too thrilled, having invisioned the money going to a new entertainment system or something else for the house.

A little known wife secret is that things you buy for you are only for you, and are as such, selfish things. Things she buys, espically things for the house, are things for both of you and are thus shared unselfish purchases, even when they are things you would never consider buying. Also remember, that when she spends the rent on some piece of decor that's on sale, she was only saving you money.

lol! I guess the trick is to find a woman who considers a well-made sword to be nice decor. Wink
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 7:15 pm    Post subject: Re: My first Albion: the Crecy         Reply with quote

Craig Peters wrote:
lol! I guess the trick is to find a woman who considers a well-made sword to be nice decor. Wink

Yep...but so many of us got the wife before we started this hobby! Big Grin

Who knew.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Travis C.

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Crecy         Reply with quote

Almost ordered the Crecy myself but went with the Ringeck even though I am on a waiting list for it to be finished. I can attest that the unshared account works very well. No freak-out episode when she knows our joint bank account is fine. I call mine "the slush fund." (Though my wife does know of its existence.)
Jonathan Blair

Reading list: 2 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Actually, the purchase money came from the change leftover from buying gasoline up to three times each week over seven months as well as selling some collectibles that I had from before I got married.
"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Greyson Brown

Reading list: 15 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Looks great! I saw the picture, and my first reaction was, "I need one of those." Of course, I already have one, so what I really need is to get a chance to spend some time with it. Big Grin Thanks for sharing.

-Grey

"So long as I can keep the path of honor I am well content."
-Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, The White Company
Steve Grisetti

Reading list: 28 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 5:53 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Your Crecy looks great, Jonathan!
"...dismount thy tuck, be yare in thy preparation, for thy assailant is quick, skilful, and deadly."
- Sir Toby Belch
Todd Eriksen

Reading list: 14 books

PostPosted: Mon 24 Apr, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The Crecy is beautiful! Just curious, in the picture of the hilt, are those period chairs from the battle of Crecy? Wink
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 3:17 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Todd Eriksen wrote:
The Crecy is beautiful! Just curious, in the picture of the hilt, are those period chairs from the battle of Crecy? Wink

No, but they do look as if they have been through a war.

Thanks, everyone, for the complements.

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." - The Lord Jesus Christ, from The Gospel According to Saint Matthew, chapter x, verse 34, Authorized Version of 1611
Jeff Smith

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

My Crecy just arrived yesterday afternoon - a beautiful and imposing weapon indeed!!

Exactly 13 days after ordering it with Mike at Albion it arrived on my doorstep - that big white box everyone talks about... I anxiously brought it inside and sliced the packing tape to open the box and there it was, laying there in all it's majesty! I lifted it from the box and immediately appreciated the feel of it's slender grip and wondered at how light such a big sword could feel. And when I say big I do mean big, this is a very formidable and imposing weapon to say the least!

The fit and finish of this sword is superb, from it's long slender lines to it's satin finished steel, it exudes a feeling of quality and confidence. And OMG is it sharp!!!! I'm utterly amazed at how they can apply such an edge to such a large blade. I can only wonder in awe at what it must have been like to face an opponent armed with such a weapon and to wield this sword against an enemy... simply terrifying!

In every detail the Crecy is of the utmost quality. From it's fit and finish to it's graceful and elegant lines it's THE classic 14th century sword.

I also recieved my Swordsmanship books from Amazon yesterday, so have already begun Guy Windsor's book and look forward to beginning my training in the basic use of the longsword. I'm new to all this so quite excited. This is my first sword and I'm honored to be able to start with an Albion. I'm not sure if I really plan on collecting swords per se, but I have always been an admirer of them and have always wanted to own at least ONE truly fine medieval sword - which I now do thanks to the skilled craftsmen at Albion!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 25 Apr, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Smith wrote:
I also recieved my Swordsmanship books from Amazon yesterday, so have already begun Guy Windsor's book and look forward to beginning my training in the basic use of the longsword. I'm new to all this so quite excited. This is my first sword and I'm honored to be able to start with an Albion. I'm not sure if I really plan on collecting swords per se, but I have always been an admirer of them and have always wanted to own at least ONE truly fine medieval sword - which I now do thanks to the skilled craftsmen at Albion!

For training, I would strongly recommend a blunt or a waster. You will make mistakes, and sharps are much less forgiving of them.

Jeff Smith

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Joe,

I plan to do this OUTSIDE in the yard and far from anything/anyone, lol... Certainly not standing beside the wife's couch or any of that! I live in a rural area on a few acres, so plenty of room and I shouldnt alarm any of the neighbors, hehe.
Michael Eging

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr, 2006 11:43 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Even though you plan to do this outside, practicing with sharps can be very dangerous. I would definately recommend caution. I have a couple of blunts that work just fine for training.... Unforgiving can be an understatement as accidents can happen with a sharp and stitches may be required... Sad

I have a wonderful Del Tin 5140 that I have been training with for 4 years, and it just went through a refurbish at Albion so it is rock solid for many more years of sweat and fun. I will post a picture of it when I get a chance, but wasters and blunts are great for training and save that wonderful Crecy for some test cutting and much adoration! Congrats on the purchase and just my two cents! Cool

M. Eging
Hamilton, VA
www.silverhornechoes.com
Member of the HEMA Alliance
http://hemaalliance.com/
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Smith wrote:
Joe,

I plan to do this OUTSIDE in the yard and far from anything/anyone, lol... Certainly not standing beside the wife's couch or any of that! I live in a rural area on a few acres, so plenty of room and I shouldnt alarm any of the neighbors, hehe.

Its not just other people. A sharp poses risk to you, until you learn how to control it.

You will overcommit to strikes and cuts while learning. In fact I think everyone does. Initially, instead of transitioning from guard to guard, most people swing a sword like they are using a baseball bat. If you accidently drag a sharp along one of your limbs, you will open youself up. If you lose control trying something new, you can poke yourself in a nasty fashion. Although there is a risk to others, my suggestion was to give yourself some margin for personel safety while you are trying to figure things out. That sharp sword will not just give you a lump if you hit yourself with it.

When you can transition smoothly between guards, and end cuts in guards, then you should be fairly safe drilling with a sharp. I certainly don't have enough control to confidently drill at meaningful speed with a sharp. At least not yet.

Eric Allen

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jeff Smith wrote:
Joe,

Getting a blunt or a waster to practice with is only about 1/4 due to the damage you could cause to whats around you. The other 3/4th is to prevent damage to YOURSELF. You WILL screw up. You WILL drop the sword. You WILL accidentally smack yourself. It happens to all of us. If you're going to practice with a sharp, be EXTREMELY careful.

EDIT: Whoops, looks like I got beaten to the punch. Twice, in fact.
Jeff Smith

PostPosted: Wed 26 Apr, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks fellas, I'll figure out something to start with and save the Crecy for later then... I appreciate the advice, wasn't thinking of the possibility of whacking myself with it, but I can see where that could happen! No stitches here thank you, lol.
Jonathan Blair

PostPosted: Thu 27 Apr, 2006 3:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yes, I know how easy it is to hurt yourself with a sword. I managed to smack myself in the head with my unsharpened Del Tin and drew blood. I can easily imagine what would have happened if it had been sharp.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > My first Albion: the Crecy
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: