Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on Valentine Armouries Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Samuel Mazur

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Opinions on Valentine Armouries         Reply with quote

I had a question regarding a costume suit I was looking to have made but I do not have access to the Makers and Manufacturers talk section.

So, I'll just stick it here and see where it ends up.

I have always had an interest in armour, the functional sort for reenactments and the more ornate costume style suits. I've never had one made, but I am interested in beginning a collection and curious as to people's opinions and experiences regarding a particular artist.

I wonder if the forum folks would share whatever opinions/experiences they have regarding Valentine Armouries.

FYI, what I am looking for is a suit that is "functional" in that it allows a full range of movement, has exceptional asthetic appeal, and is in no way "cheap" or shoddy in its craftsmanship. This particular suit is ENTIRELY for show, just costumery, for special occasions where I will not (hopefully) actually be struck with any sort of weapon whatsoever. Price isn't really an issue, I love my costumes and unusual outfits.

Has anyone found them particularly lacking in any specific area?

Does their work meet all these criteria? If so and you have commissioned work from them in the past could you provide examples(pics)?

Lastly, is there anyone who can do this who does BETTER work than Valentine to such a degree that they stand out as being on another level?

Thank you for your time-S Mazur
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on Valentine Armouries         Reply with quote

Samuel Mazur wrote:
I had a question regarding a costume suit I was looking to have made but I do not have access to the Makers and Manufacturers talk section.

So, I'll just stick it here and see where it ends up.

Samuel,
Only industry professionals can start topics in the Makers and Manufacturers Talk form. That is their place to announce products/events/sales. General question on makers of historical arms and armour belong here in the Historical Arms Talk forum. Each forum has a post detailing what it is to be used for; please check those posts out.

Welcome to myArmoury.com. Happy Enjoy your stay!

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Dave Womble

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 6:59 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've purchased a center grip round shield from Rob's Dark Ages/Viking category, and while not totally accurate (he never claimed it to be) it's a solid piece, well made, looks great. Service and shipping was great.

Rob is an extremely talented armourer and artist. You could certainly do much worse than buying from him.

Dave

"Violence might not be the answer, but it sure cuts down on the number of questions."
Jonathon Janusz

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Samuel, with your criteria in mind, Valentine is a solid choice. From some jousters I've spoken with, although his shop's stuff is a little on the thin side for contact sport equipment, it is very nice as costume/parade/collecting armour. Reading through their web site, your needs really seem to be the primary focus of their business.

Also, to head off some confusion, keep in mind that Rob Valentine operates a shop of dedicated artists and craftspeople. Just so you're clear (and if it is important to you) that unless you are specifically placing a customer order with Rob himself, your armour may not be made by him personally, although he may be a very big part in overseeing each project. A representative from Valentine Armouries could (please Big Grin ) give a clearer picture, but this is how I picture things from checking out the website.

. . . and in case you're thinking the next logical question, I've checked out some of the completely "shop-built" stuff on the specials page (it is usually labeled as such if it is so there) and it was very nice.

Lastly, although some would say that spring steel is the only way to go for authenticity and durability lately, I think that for your application you could probably get a great deal better value for the dollar in a thinner-gauge mild steel. It would probably bring some very high-end details into your harness at an otherwise considerably more costly price than doing the same harness in spring steel; again, a nod to Valentine.

As to your other question, there are a great number of very talented folks making armour these days. If we had a few more details of your project, we could probably help narrow your search a bit further.

Cheers, and again, welcome!
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathon Janusz wrote:
Lastly, although some would say that spring steel is the only way to go for authenticity and durability lately,

Those people would only be right if talking about certain types of armour. Happy Using spring tempered armour is the big thing in armour these days (I have a spring tempered cuirass and sallet myself), but most of history did not do so. The late 15th century is the first you really see this happen, and in Italy they seemed to still prefer softer steel rather than hardened steel. The reason it is so popular today is that it allows the armour to be made thinner to match historical specs, but still be used for modern contact "sports": In the middle ages, armour wasn't repeatedly hit over and over again unless if it was a tournament. In realistic combat, people tried to get around the armour in general, or they tried to use mass weapons to be felt through the armour. In the latter case thicker and softer armour would be better than harder armour.

Regardless, the stuff I've seen from Valentine is pretty good. It's not all 100 % accurate (though I imagine you could request custom fittings that would make it so at additional cost), but like Dave said, you could certainly do much worse. If you were wanting absolute accuracy, you'd have to look into replacing things such as modern buckles and straps.

HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Gordon Clark

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Regarding buckles and straps - I would bet that they would use historical looking hardware for a failry small price increase. I wish I had thought to ask before i got my armour from them.

Gordon
Bob Burns

Reading list: 112 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't have anything to add to this topic, just wanted to say how much I admire armor and those who have commissioned armor to be made for them. I sure wish I had the money, someday maybe but doubtful. Still, when I go to the Renaissance Faire, etc., and see people in armor I take the time to look at their armor with much admiration!

Just wanted to say that the armor that those of you who have spent so much to own is greatly appreciated by many and most certainly by me!

Bob

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Opinions on Valentine Armouries
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic