Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mac Bible Great Helm Help Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Aaron Schneiker

Reading list: 4 books

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Mac Bible Great Helm Help         Reply with quote

I am in the process of putting together a Mac Bible (c.1250) period kit. My goal is to have everything in it made by myself. My question is on the great helm. Ive only seen a couple of reproductions made and they vary quite significantly. First of all, i'm assuming that the Mac Bible is the only place a helm like this appears and that every piece pictured is done so from a side view only? This being the case, it is left up to some interpretation. I believe all of the repros that I have seen are barrel shaped as the one I have pictured from medieval repro. As I look at the pictures from the Mac Bible it looks to me like the front would have to come to a point for one to see the half of the nasal reinforcement that is pictured. It looks like there is a helm in the works at Albion that may come to a point, but I am not absolutely sure since there is only one side view pic posted. As of now I am leaning heavily toward making mine look like "option2" from the top of helm view picture I included unless someone out there can show me evidence to the contrary.

Thanks,
-Aaron

Attachment: 15.82 KB
macbhlm.JPG

Attachment: 27.57 KB
greathlm.gif

Attachment: 41.57 KB
macie01.jpg

Attachment: 7.16 KB
macbtop.JPG

Felix Wang

Reading list: 17 books

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 3:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I am not sure the front of these barrel type helms were ridged. The later great helms definitely were, but the precursors of the barrel helm, with only the face guard (and not wrapping around the back of the head) were not ridged. Off hand, the only image I can find is this effigy: http://www.fioredeiliberi.org/gallery/album42/blyth which doesn't seem to show a midline ridge that I can see.

On further searching, http://home.tiscali.be/klauwaer/helm/ does clearly show some helms from above, with a midline ridge - so it looks like you should be good to go.
Matt G

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi Aaron,

Here's a couple of images of two Maciejowski-style helms. Although I can't make claims to the authenticity of the design, these helms do appear to have the raised area under the nasal similar to your option 2 diagram. In these pictures, It doesn't appear that the raised area is very prominent.

http://www.outfit4events.com/index.php?main_p...cts_id=431

http://www.outfit4events.com/index.php?main_p...cts_id=427

"Speak what you think today in words as hard as cannon-balls and tomorrow speak what tomorrow thinks in hard words again, though it contradict every thing you said today."

Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 - 1882)
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Wed 08 Mar, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Don't forget that ocular's floral decorations were painted, not brass.

An helm reproduced in wrought iron and wit golden-painted occulars would be a real hit, looking once upon a time historical in the true sens of this word.

Then there was no polished stainles steel (armor was polished by rolling pieces inside a barrel full of river sand, in the fifties my father in law would still use this method to polish metal here in Italy, sand was from the Pò river), and real steel was scarce even in renaissance times, while at the time of great helms I doubt there was any.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Mac Bible Great Helm Help
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic