Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How were great helms attached? Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: How were great helms attached?         Reply with quote

Hello everyone. I have been messing around a bit with a great helm I bought a while ago through the Albion Moat. I know these were usually worn with a smaller helmet underneath, or perhaps a coif plus padding. i'm wondering whether anyone on the forum has information as to how the great helm would be secured on top of everything. Was it strapped somehow, or simply placed on top? If not secured, it seems like even the lightest of blows would cause serious vision problems in the wearer due to the placement of the eye holes shifting when the great helm moves.

Anyone have suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any information,

Michael
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I wish I could find the thread I started last year about great helm liners. Mad I'll search a bit more and see if I can come up with it. Anyhow, the general consensus seemed to be that great helms had some type of leather liner or suspension system and chin straps riveted into them, to secure them over the arming cap, coif, etc. Happy
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

G. Scott H. wrote:
I wish I could find the thread I started last year about great helm liners. Mad I'll search a bit more and see if I can come up with it. Anyhow, the general consensus seemed to be that great helms had some type of leather liner or suspension system and chin straps riveted into them, to secure them over the arming cap, coif, etc. Happy

And there it is. took me some time to find.

Alexi
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Many thanks, Alexi. Happy
Michael R. Black

PostPosted: Wed 01 Mar, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for the link. This helps me get an idea. Since I want to use some padding and a mail coif under it, it seems like I'd be best off with just a chin strap on the great helm to keep everything in place. Anyone have opinions regarding this?

Michael
G. Scott H.

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Michael R. Black wrote:
Thanks for the link. This helps me get an idea. Since I want to use some padding and a mail coif under it, it seems like I'd be best off with just a chin strap on the great helm to keep everything in place. Anyone have opinions regarding this?

Michael

I like the idea of a suspension system built into the helm, just because it seems like it would make the helm more secure and a better fit on the head than padding alone, but if you're going to use it for SCA combat, which requires certain padding specs, or you just can't afford the additional cost of a liner/suspesion, then I think simply attaching a chin strap in place would be fine. Without at least the chin strap, you're going to be constantly adjusting the helm, which would get irritating really fast. Mad BTW: I would advise riveting the strap in place. Wink
Stephen Hand

Reading list: 1 book

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is there actually any evidence that chin straps were used on this sort of helm, because well fitting helms just don't need them. I've worn great helms on many occasions and been hit hard while wearing them. I have never once had a helm shift on my head. My most recently acquired helmet, the burgonet in my avatar came with a chin strap. Every time I put the helmet on I swear that I'm going to remove the strap, and I only ever did it up once. The helmet doesn't move a centimeter on my head because it's so well fitted. I got to look closely at the original it's based on after getting my replica made, and no chin strap. I can't recall seeing a chin strap on any late medieval/ renaissance helm that's designed to cover the entire head. The Metropolitan Museum has several helmets with surviving linings and no chin straps. You see them on things like sallets that don't come down over the lower part of the face and therefore need some additional attachment method, but I don't know of an example on a helmet designed to cover the whole head. So, is there evidence, or are we just making assumptions?

Cheers
Stephen
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

PostPosted: Fri 03 Mar, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I'm glad you brought that up, Stephen, because it's something I've been wondering myself. I've never seen one on any helmet, though the sallet's I've seen didn't have linings in them anymore. I didn't know if they just fit that well that they didn't need straps, or if the straps had been lost through time, or some other unknown reason.
HistoricalHandcrafts.com
-Inspired by History, Crafted by Hand

"For practice is better than artfulness. Your exercise can do well without artfulness, but artfulness is not much good without the exercise.” -anonymous 15th century fencing master, MS 3227a
Alexi Goranov
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

Reading list: 72 books

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen Hand wrote:
Is there actually any evidence that chin straps were used on this sort of helm, because well fitting helms just don't need them.

Cheers
Stephen

Claud Blair writes that there is evidence that great helms were fitted with linings and straps. I do not remember on what evidence he based his conclusions, but some odd that is in his "European Armour"

Alexi
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Sat 04 Mar, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill, on sallets the two rivets on the right and left hand sides below the series of rivets for the liner are strap rivets . Sometimes these rivets are "flush riveted" and thus hard to see especially if the helmet is really patinated. The zischagge c. 1640-50 that I bought years ago as a model for the one we do had leather loops at the bottom of each cheek piece for a thong to tie the helmet under the chin as does the zischagge I currently own. The English munitions burgeonette I owned about 8 years back had the buckle remaining on one cheek plate.
Bruno Giordan

Spotlight topics: 1

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 10:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

There is a Xv century sallet in Brescia's Marzoli museum that is still fully lined and preserves the first part of the four leather straps.

I will go there sooner or later and take pics of this and other piece of armor.

Curiously one even has difficulties going to museums that are just a gunshot away from his workplace, but this is modern era's main defect.

Spare time is for rich people only
Addison C. de Lisle

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 2:40 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Does anybody know if the Arms and Armor Pembridge helm comes with or can be upgraded to include a liner?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 07 Mar, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Addison C. de Lisle wrote:
Does anybody know if the Arms and Armor Pembridge helm comes with or can be upgraded to include a liner?

Arms & Armor's armour pieces are essentially all custom pieces. The catalog items simply are examples of their work to give an idea of what they can do and roughly how much it might cost. They can make whatever you (and they) want, honestly.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > How were great helms attached?
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic