Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Integral bolster knife, and a few other things Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Integral bolster knife, and a few other things         Reply with quote

A while back I posted some photos of a new sgian I had acquired. Nathan asked it that knife had an integral bolster -- one that is forged as one piece with the blade. The sgian does not have an integral bolster, but I had promised to post some photos of my belt knife that does. Finally got around to it.

The knife was made by Kyle Willyard and has a slotted half tang mounted in a crown stag grip. Kyle did a really nice job on this knife, getting the balance just perfect with a nice distal taper to the blade. The point drops just enough to be perfectly in line with the axis of the grip.

I've included some photos of other pieces from my collection as well. Enjoy!

Sic Semper Tyranus
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

That is an absolutely fantastic knife. Kyle's work is very impressive. More than that, the entire kit you posted is spectacular. When Sean Flynt or Gordon Frye see this stuff, I think they'll flip out.
.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Eric L.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

A very beautyful set indeed, you must be proud of it.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks for your kind words, Nathan. I truely love this hobby and feel very blessed that I've been able to acquire some of the pieces I have.

Thanks once again for allowing all of us to share this passion with each other through myArmoury!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Henrik Bjoern Boegh

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

You have a lovely collection, Chris. And you take beatuyful pictures of it!Big Grin
That musket is gorgeous!!!
And I love the looks of the knife and dirk that Kyle Willyard has made for you. Quite a craftsman!
Thanks for sharing!

Cheers,
Henrik

Constant and true.
Sean Flynt

Reading list: 13 books

Spotlight topics: 7

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Yep...I just flipped out. Razz

Willyard is a master cutler, for sure, and all your arms are outstanding. If I lived in VA, I think I'd finally get bit by the living history bug. Not much down here but ACW Rebs, and a wool uniform in July in Alabama is not my idea of a good time.

If I ever add a colonial knife to my collection, I'm headed to Old Dominion Forge!

-Sean

Author of the Little Hammer novel

https://www.amazon.com/Little-Hammer-Sean-Flynt/dp/B08XN7HZ82/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=little+hammer+book&qid=1627482034&sr=8-1
Ryan A. C.

Reading list: 5 books

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I love the knife but I think I love that flintlock more... That's a purty rifle. Eek!
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I think the whole kit is nicely done.

Excellent work by the people who made the bits, and good on you for pulling them together.

"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Ryan A. C.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 8:59 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Agreed.

Did you purchase the knife directly from him or can his work be found on the internet?
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Ryan A. C. wrote:
Agreed.

Did you purchase the knife directly from him or can his work be found on the internet?

While I can't tell you how Chris ordered his particular items, I can say that the maker's site can be found in our Links Page. Good stuff there, too!

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Ryan A. C.

PostPosted: Sat 11 Mar, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I had completely forgotten about the links page. Thanks for the reminder.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your encouraging comments! Here's some more information on questions and comments that have been posted to this thread:

I bought a plug bayonet from Kyle many years ago (and deeply regret having since let it go Sad ) I have bought most of the items I've gotten from him off his website. The prices are a bit high compared to most knife makers catering to reenactors, but I don't think you would every "overpay" for a knife from Kyle. If you can afford one of his knives, you will be getting your money's worth.

The dagger was not made by Kyle Willyard, but by Tim Ridge of Swamp Fox Forge: http://www.swampfoxknives.com/page_4.html Tim does decent work on his knives and tomahawks, though they are not as fine in detail or fit & finish as Kyle's work. Both Tim and Kyle are great to deal with and create pieces very representative of the 18th century. Tim does a lot of 19th century bowie style knives as well.

As for the musket... I bought it at the Eastern Rendezvous several years ago from the maker -- a fellow by the name of McDarmont. It is a 20 bore (.62 caliber) iron mounted Virginia fowler. It has been a great piece for my kit, and shoots well, too. You haven't lived till you've shot skeet with a 44" barreled flintlock!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Sun 12 Mar, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Great pics Chris!

Chris showed me the tomahawk & sgian last week..up close and personal, these are some very
fine pieces indeed.

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Mon 13 Mar, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Very, very cool knife. I wish I had that level of skill, or even something vaguely approximating it.

I must ask, though, how does the blade feel in hand? The pins that hold the blade look a bit uncomfortable, but that might just be the light and/or the angle of the photo. So, I don't mean the dynamic characteristics (though that would be cool to know anyway) but mainly the comfort level.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Wed 15 Mar, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Alexander Hinman wrote:
I must ask, though, how does the blade feel in hand? The pins that hold the blade look a bit uncomfortable, but that might just be the light and/or the angle of the photo. So, I don't mean the dynamic characteristics (though that would be cool to know anyway) but mainly the comfort level.

Actually, the pins do not protrude far at all and are slightly dome shaped, so they do not impact the feel of the knife in hand at all. When dealing with an antler grip, there are always knots and knobs that protrude slightly from the antler itself. Those are more noticeable in the hand than the pins are, and yet they do not make the grip uncomfortable.

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
Matthew D M

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Is the knife for reenactment only, or is the metallurgy pretty solid?

Nice looking collection!

Wink
Jonathan Harton

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar, 2006 3:58 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've gata say Chris that is one of the nicest colonial kits I have seen to date. I have done a little Rev War reenacting here and there with an assortment of a few things of my own and a lot of borrowed gear, but college bills kill such lovely hobbies rather quickly.

That fowler is BEAUTIFUL. I am a true lover of all flintlocks of this period and that is one of the best looking ones, at least to my eye, that I have ever seen. Simple, elegant and lethal no doubt. I hope to one day get a colonial kit as well as a Norman kit put together. We'll have to see how the years and paychecks treat me.

Lovely kit man,
Jonathan.
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar, 2006 6:55 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Matthew D M wrote:
Is the knife for reenactment only, or is the metallurgy pretty solid?
Wink

Matthew -- This knife is not just for show -- it was made to be used, and used it has been! It holds a razor edge. In fact, I can't ever remember having to resharpen it in the time I've owned it.

Sic Semper Tyranus
Chris Goerner

PostPosted: Thu 16 Mar, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Jonathan Harton wrote:
I hope to one day get a colonial kit as well as a Norman kit put together. We'll have to see how the years and paychecks treat me.

Thanks for your kind words, Jonathan. Don't give up on the hobby. It has taken me 17 years of reenacting to put together the collection I currently have. Like most folks, I bought the best I could afford, used it for a while, then sold it when I could find something better. It would be a painful process if the end result were all that mattered, but the journey is where all the fun is, and I hope to be making upgrades to my collection until the Good Lord calls me home.

I am very thankful to Nathan and the rest of the myArmoury team for allowing us to share our collections with one another through this site. Collecting isn't much fun at all if your the only one who appreciates and sees value in the the things you've collected. Which of us hasn't spent hours looking thought the albums on this site admiring the collections members have pieced together.

Three cheers for the myArmoury team!

Chris

Sic Semper Tyranus
William Goodwin

Reading list: 20 books

PostPosted: Fri 17 Mar, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

'ello Chris,

Have you considered submitting your Colonial kit to the Collections feature of the site?

Cheers,

Bill

Roanoke Sword Guilde

roanokeswordguilde@live.com
"I was born for this" - Joan of Arc

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Integral bolster knife, and a few other things
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: