Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your opinion kindly requested: Windlass "Sword of Reval Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Bernhard H.

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr, 2006 5:29 pm    Post subject: Your opinion kindly requested: Windlass "Sword of Reval         Reply with quote

Greetings to all,

your opinion and advice is kindly requested about the sword mentioned above, available via by-the-sword.
The intended use of the Sword of Reval for me would be something like a "functional wallhanger", a decoration piece one would neither need to be ashamed of or afraid of breaking it if it should happen to be swung or used against soft targets.

If someone has handled the sword, I would especially like to know:

- What do you think about the finish? In the photo, the pommel looks "wrong" somehow...
- Does it give the impression to be of a reasonably solid construction?
- How is the pommel attached, threaded or peened (I expect the latter with a Brazil nut shape)?
- Is there any engraving, makers mark or county of production enscribed on it anywhere? I would rather like it plain.
- Does the blade have the Windlass-typical semi-sharp edges?

I have never noticed the sword or heard about it before, so I do not know if it is a new offering or an old model which I simply overlooked, and that difference probably would make a difference in quality as well.
I was looking for a display piece with these characteristics: Brazil nut pommel, fuller, straight or slightly downturned pronounced bow-tie, so this one seems to fit the description, for a seemingly very reasonable price.

I am aware that Windlass is in quite another category than some other artists and producers, but I can live with that for this particular sword, if it is safe and looks authentic and reasonably nice in finish.

After nearly two years of abstinence from the topic of swords due to unpleasant personal reasons (health- and family- related), I am now in the process of approaching some of my old projects again, and this seems one that could be made real with little financial effort.

Oh, and btw: I need to work on my terminology again: It is a Type XI, right?

Interested in your opinions and replies

Bernhard
Patrick Fitzmartin

PostPosted: Sat 22 Apr, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Greetings Bernard H., MRL has a great return policy. If you get one you don't like either exchange it or get your money back. Usually their markings are very easy to remove. Their steel is not super hard so edging will not be a major project. They are also offering the "Ulfbert" sword which has the same theme but has some "questionable" etching on the blade. I have owned several MRL's. Some were pure junk, others were really nice. They are improving but still sort of hit and miss. I would still reccomend dealing directly with them unless you have some outlet to examine them in person. Wink Sincerely, Patrick Fitzmartin
Bernhard H.

PostPosted: Sun 23 Apr, 2006 11:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thank you Patrick. Your general impression about Windlass seems to be the same as mine, more or less "it depends".
I do not yet know if I will buy from MRL or by-the-sword, that more or less depends on which other items I will combine with that order. I have bought before from both. The return policy probably will not help me much, because I would be ordering from Europe, and considering postage and duty it would then be more economical to sell locally anything I don't like, even for less than I paid. Still, otherwise it would be a very important factor.
I still hope that someone has met the Reval sword in person.
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Wed 23 Jan, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Im interested in this sword too. Any one have any further information on this sword?
..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36
Luka Borscak

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I handled that sword but I wasn't considering it seriously so it was more like lifting it, making a few swings and putting it down. But from what I remember, it had a feel of a cavalry weapon (blade heavy, but not too much), not very whippy, and everything was quite solid and tight... I think it's good enough sword for what you need it and for the price. I don't really remember anything about the finish or if the pommel was threaded or peened. It was sharp, but it may have been sharpened by the dealer, not MRL.
Jean Thibodeau

Reading list: 1 book

Spotlight topics: 5

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Luka Borscak wrote:
I handled that sword but I wasn't considering it seriously so it was more like lifting it, making a few swings and putting it down. But from what I remember, it had a feel of a cavalry weapon (blade heavy, but not too much), not very whippy, and everything was quite solid and tight... I think it's good enough sword for what you need it and for the price. I don't really remember anything about the finish or if the pommel was threaded or peened. It was sharp, but it may have been sharpened by the dealer, not MRL.

You could ask Ryan at Kult of Athena if/when it will be available there or he might be able to special order it.

Since a return from Europe would be expensive you could ask Ryan to examine the sword before sending it to you to be sure you don't get the occasional " lemon " ( one badly made example of a normally O.K. model ).

They usually check the product before shipping at KoA before shipping rather than just sending the product they got strait from the manufacturer without even opening the box: Still with a shipment to Europe specifically asking about this might be a good idea. KoA as a good return policy, but that won't help you much for the reasons already stated above.

Send an e-mail to Ryan as he is very good at returning a reply within a few days. ( I got a reply the same or the next day on average ).
Link: http://www.kultofathena.com/ This is one of the most reliable vendors from a customer service point of view that I dealt with regularly. ( At least 2 orders, maybe 3, that were all processed quickly. Oh, and when he says that stuff is in stock: It is.Cool

You can easily give up your freedom. You have to fight hard to get it back!
Lin Robinson

Reading list: 6 books

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Patrick Fitzmartin wrote:
They are also offering the "Ulfbert" sword which has the same theme but has some "questionable" etching on the blade.

Patrick...

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider to be "questionable" about the etching on the Ulfbert sword?

Lin Robinson

"The best thing in life is to crush your enemies, see them driven before you and hear the lamentation of their women." Conan the Barbarian, 1982
Joel Chesser

PostPosted: Thu 24 Jan, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

The original author of this post, Bernhard H, asked what type this was, any suggestions? Im guessing along with Bernhard that is a type XI.

Attachment: 43.57 KB
500846%20Large.jpg

..." The person who dosen't have a sword should sell his coat and buy one."

- Luke 22:36

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Your opinion kindly requested: Windlass "Sword of Reval
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic