myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bascinet identification Reply to topic
This is a standard topic Go to page Previous  1, 2 
Hisham Gaballa

Reading list: 7 books

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun, 2006 9:12 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Hi,

I've been following this thread for a few days but I haven't really had anything particularly constructive to say. Still don't probably. Big Grin

I do tend to be wary of items attributed to major religious or historical figures. Medieval Europe did have a thriving trade in holy relics after all! 2 further examples; a few months ago there was a thread on a sister forum about a Gothic plate harness which had allegedly belonged to St. Joan, the consensus was that based on the style of the armour this was extremely unlikely. The other example is the Suyuf al-Mubaraka or "blessed swords", a collection of swords in the Topqapi Museum in Istanbul that allegedly belonged to the Prophet Muhammad and his companions. While many of these swords are undoubtedly 7th century Arab swords, a few of them look suspiciously like 15th century Persian swords. There is even a curved sabre which is very odd considering that sabres were not introduced to the middle-east until the 11th century and did not become widespread until the 13th century. I think I have probably said quite enough about a very sensitive topic. Happy
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

2,500 Years of European Helmets, 800 B.C.-1700 A.D (page 78-79) says this of this helm:

This was believed to have been one of Jeanne d'Arc's, although it is actually a bit too early. It hung above the main altar at the church of Saint Pierre de Martroi at Orléans. The chain remnant at the apex suggests it was suspended as an exvoto; however, it may have been for a safety retainer, such as was used on Great helms when not in use. The two holes on the right side, center, were made by arrows or crossbow bolts. Weight, 5 pounds. The visor is missing.

.:. Visit my Collection Gallery :: View my Reading List :: View my Wish List :: See Pages I Like :: Find me on Facebook .:.
Lawrence Parramore

PostPosted: Sat 26 Apr, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I came across this old thread and am left asking the question, why couldn't she be wearing an old helmet? even in our modern age soldiers use equipment that is at least 50 years out of date, Kalashnikov's are also getting on a bit, second world war bombs are still being taken out of stores and used and so on.
In the Route of San Romano painting by Uccello they are wearing hourglass gauntlets and other pieces of armour which are stylistically from the previous century I think, no doubt someone will correct me on this?

And for popularity, she would be seen as more one of the lads than as one of the rich kids?

And I know this is getting off topic a little but I have seen a bullet bow in the War Museum in Riga Latvia with a barrel, which was as I recall about 6 feet long, maybe longer and was I guess meant for use on the ramparts of a castle as i don't think it would be easy to carry, I seem to remember that some of these shot steel or bronze arrows, I guess I will have to find my Galway book.

That's my two penny's worth, Catch

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Bascinet identification
Page 2 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page Previous  1, 2 All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: