Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Prosthetic Hand, circa 1580 Reply to topic
This is a Spotlight Topic Go to page 1, 2  Next 
Nathan Robinson
myArmoury Admin

myArmoury Admin

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Prosthetic Hand, circa 1580         Reply with quote

A Rare German Prosthetic Hand, circa 1580

Made entirety of iron, with a hollow, naturally modeled hand furnished with a movable thumb and paired fingers, internal ratchet mechanism and external push-button release, and a tubular socket comprising of a long outer plate fretted with a pattern of repealed chevrons, and short inner section formed of plain and scalloped riveted strips, each fitted with buckles for the attachment of a harness.

Overall length: 12 1/2 in; Weight: 1 lb

It is not unlikely that armourers, with their proven skills in working and articulating metal to the forms of the human body, would have been among the first craftsmen to involve themselves in the manufacture of functional artificial limbs. In the case of the hand shown here, both the thumb and the paired fingers are capable of being independently locked in several positions by means of an elaborate system of ratchets and spring-operated pawls that can be instantly released by pressure on a push-button protruding from the back of the hand.

The earliest surviving hands of this kind are those made for the celebrated Franconian Knight, Götz von Berlich (circa 1480-1562), raised to heroic status by the young Goethe in his childrens' drama of 1772. Two are preserved in Schloss Jagsthausen, and a third in Schloss Grüningen bei Riedlingen. They were clearly made after 22 June 1504 when the twenty-four year old Götz lost his right hand to a cannon ball at the siege of Landshuf, but probably no later than 1512 when a prisoner of the Nuremberg campaign recorded that er hab auch Gotzen von Berlingen mit de rein hend aigentlich gesehen, hab an der eysinen hand ein handschuch gehapt (he personally saw Gotzen von Berlingen with the one hand, having had a glove on his iron hand). With his 'iron hand' Götz distinguished himself in a long active military career. According to a verse composed by Count Franz Pocci in 1861, it allowed him to securely grip both his lance and his sword. The earlier of the two Jagsthausen hands is constructionally very similar to the present example.

All three of the hands of Götz von Berlich, however, have a somewhat angular form, reflecting their early date. The present example, with its more carefully modeled hand, can be compared with one recovered from the grave of die Knight Hans von Mittelhausen of Balbronn, Alsace, who died in 1564, as well as another in the Hessisches Landesmuseum, Darmstadt, which is said to have belonged to a Swedish officer who fell in the Thirty Years War (1618-48). Other examples of this mid-16th to early I7th century type can be recorded in the Museum Otto Ludwig, Eisenfeld, Thuringia, the Bayerisches Armeemuseum, Ingolstadt, the Livruskammaren, Stockholm, Schloss Skokloster, Sweden, the Museo Poldi Pezzoli, Milan, the Fitzwilliam Museum, Cambridge, and the Welcome Medical Collection in the Science Museum, London.

Provenance: F.W. Paul Collection, Berlin

Click for detailed version

Text and Photos Copyright © 2004 Peter Finer
Wolfgang Armbruster

PostPosted: Sun 25 Jun, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

more info on his prothetic hand:

http://www.karlofgermany.com/Goetz.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/G%C3%B6tz_Von_Berlichingen

The person in question:
Jason Elrod

Reading list: 38 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Absolutely incredible. Thanks for posting!
W. Schütz
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Awesome article. That Götz must have been a powerful and unpleasant sight in his german armour, an iron hand-prosthetic and 80years worth of scars!
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 2:33 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Really fascinating stuff! Thank you both for sharing this!
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

How COOL are these! It reminds me of the highly detailed and articulated metal sculptures that many Japanese arourers began to produce as demand and regulations made for much less call for thier products twords the close of the 19th century. Hard shelled marine life were favorite subjects.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I have that same Peter Finer catalogue and really admire that prosthesis. It's interesting that the fingers are grouped as we see on bifurcated gauntlets. It's really incredible craftsmanship.
Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Alexander Hinman

Reading list: 50 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow. I had always hoped to see a good example of one of those. Quite an amazing piece, and very beautifully detailed. The frill of a 'sleeve' is a very nice touch.

I also wonder somewhat at the structure. How thick the walls of the fingers are (I'm assuming there tube-like), and things like that.

Thanks for sharing it with us, Nathan!
Curt Dunham

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nathan,

Are the pictures reversed? He lost his right hand, but prosthesis looks like a left hand.

Curt
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I don't think the one Nathan has pictured is his, just "an" prosthetic hand. The one shown further down is "the" Gotz hand.
Chad Arnow
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Curt Dunham wrote:
Nathan,

Are the pictures reversed? He lost his right hand, but prosthesis looks like a left hand.

Curt

I don't believe this prosthetic hand is attributed to anyone in particular. The catalogue is comparing it to ones made to replace Götz von Berlich's right hand, not stating it was made for him.

Happy

ChadA

http://chadarnow.com/
Brian M

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Wow! If, God forbid, I ever lost a hand, I'd want one of these! Imagine what a conversation piece that would be! No flesh-colored plastic for me, thanks.

Brian M
Mikko Kuusirati

Reading list: 13 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

"Groovy."
"And sin, young man, is when you treat people like things. Including yourself. That's what sin is."
— Terry Pratchett, Carpe Jugulum
C.L. Miller

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Here's a couple illustrations of a 16th Century design by Ambroise Pare, displaying some of the device's internal mechanisms.

Gordon Frye

Reading list: 15 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Thanks Nathan, those are great! One of my heroes, Francois de la Noue, was also an "Iron Hand", having lost one of his flesh and bone ones during the long French Wars of Religion and having it replaced with an iron version. He met his demise (I think he was well into his 60's at the time, too) when his hand locked on a scaling ladder during an assault on a town, and he couldn't release it. But it had served him well for several decades prior to this unfortunate happenstance.

Allons,

Gordon

"After God, we owe our victory to our Horses"
Gonsalo Jimenez de Quesada
http://www.renaissancesoldier.com/
http://historypundit.blogspot.com/
Jason Daub

Reading list: 78 books

PostPosted: Mon 26 Jun, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

If anyone has a copy of the August 2000 issue of Military History there is an article about Gotz by David Zabecki. It is quite interesting and covers some of the shifting alliances and outright opportunism shown. When you take into account that Gotz was involved in six or seven wars and probably a dozen or more major feuds it's surprising that he lived to 81 with only one hand missing. According to the article in MH the artificial hand is still on display in the museum of the castle at Jagsthausen.
Shawn Shaw

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 5:50 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Probably not a good idea in practice...but imagine getting in a barroom brawl with somone who's using an iron prosthesis.

OUCH. Talk about a solid right hand...
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Joe Fults

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Good thread.
"The goal shouldn’t be to avoid being evil; it should be to actively do good." - Danah Boyd
Kjell Magnusson

PostPosted: Tue 27 Jun, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

They have one such arm on display in the Royal Armoury in Stockholm. Unfortunately my camera had somewhat diverging ideas about where to place the focus, but it's somewhat visible at least.

Attachment: 107.97 KB
[ Download ]
Jeff Jackson

PostPosted: Sun 02 Jan, 2011 8:02 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

I've been reading a bit of background information on Gotz von Berlich. He was a man not to be trifled with. I can't imagine using this type of prosthesis, especially knowing he would keep making his living by way of battle. I've read that with this prosthesis he was able to hold a lance, play cards, direct his horse and even hold a quill to write. He was a true tough guy.

Attachment: 57.72 KB
gotz02.jpg

iaq source
"One sword keeps another in the sheath."
- George Herbert

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Prosthetic Hand, circa 1580
Page 1 of 2 Reply to topic
Go to page 1, 2  Next All times are GMT - 8 Hours

View previous topic :: View next topic
Jump to: