Info Favorites Register Log in
myArmoury.com Discussion Forums

Forum index Memberlist Usergroups Spotlight Topics Search
Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Parrying gloves Reply to topic
This is a standard topic  
Borger Kruge

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Parrying gloves         Reply with quote

Hi again,

I remember I saw some footage at the ARMA web-site apparently of two men sparring with rapiers of a historic-looking design, and parrying/clutching only with some sort of glove on their weak hand. This being ARMA leads me to think that this technique might be based upon something historical, but would a renaissance duelist actually use a glove to catch a rapier thrust? Wouldn't a rapier pierce any material one could reasonably expect a 16th to 17th century glove to be made of? Or am I missing something?

Borger
Geoff Wood

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Parrying glove ???         Reply with quote

Borger Kruge wrote:
Hi again,

I remember I saw some footage at the ARMA web-site apparently of two men sparring with rapiers of a historic-looking design, and parrying/clutching only with some sort of glove on their weak hand. This being ARMA leads me to think that this technique might be based upon something historical, but would a renaissance duelist actually use a glove to catch a rapier thrust? Wouldn't a rapier pierce any material one could reasonably expect a 16th to 17th century glove to be made of? Or am I missing something?

Borger

I thnk the idea is catch the blade sideways on at it goes (or has gone) past, not to stop the tip. This wouldn't be entirely impractical even with a bare hand, particularly if you gripped the faces rather than the edges of the blade, but I'd prefer it with a glove as it would give some protection against edge slippage over the skin of your hand. Even modern kevlar gloves won't stop a thust, but they are quite good for stopping cuts (in my experience).
Allan Senefelder
Industry Professional

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Leather is very cut resistant stuff . I've had the same leather shop apron for five years and all it does every day is
have sharp metal edges drawn across it . Its use as armour from the earliest times is well documented .
I'm far from an expert on 16th-17th century sword play but it seems perfectly servicable as a technique
based on the properties of the material the glove would have been made out of .
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 4:27 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

When I visited the Royal Armouries in Leeds a few years ago, I saw several gloves with fine chainmail in the palms. They were intended for fencing, to catch the blades without cutting oneself.
My sword site
Stephen A. Fisher

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Björn Hellqvist wrote:
When I visited the Royal Armouries in Leeds a few years ago, I saw several gloves with fine chainmail in the palms. They were intended for fencing, to catch the blades without cutting oneself.

Hi Björn,

You don't happen to have any pictures of those do you?

Borger,
Check out Nathan's collection and look under "other." You will find a pair a nice pair of custom made dueling gauntlets that were made for this purpose.
Robert Zamoida

Reading list: 3 books

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 5:26 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

In our school we practice techniques using the off hand as a supplemental defense, combined with body voids, in single rapier play. The basic idea is, as Geoff said, to hit the blade and force it further off line, and we use it as a foundation for rapier and dagger play, since the hand motions are similar. Of course, when we actually spar sometimes we catch the tip instead, but it's much better than catching the tip with your chest, head, etc, especially if your opponent catches your tip in their chest, head, etc. Razz
Rob Zamoida
"When your life is on the line, you want to make use of all your tools. No warrior should be willing to die with his swords at his sides, without having made use of his tools."
-Miyamoto Mushashi, Gorin no Sho
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

Reading list: 43 books

Spotlight topics: 2

PostPosted: Mon 05 Jan, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Everyone has already given very good points, so I'll try not to repeat too much. But yes, the gloved off hand can be used for defense. Digrassi points out that a wound to the hand, while not a good thing, is certainly better than being wounded someplace more lethal. But most masters agreed that parrying with the hand was no where near as optimal as parrying with the sword. In fact, Fabris says, "Those who parry with the hand are easier to kill than those who defend with the sword." Blade grabbing was considered bad form. Some people have said this was silly ettiquette, but based off of the manuals I very much disagree. Blade grabbing was bad form because the hand is easily deceived, and much easier to go around than the sword, so that a good rapierist will have little trouble defeating it.

The use of the off hand was still common, though, as the use of maille-lined gloves would support, and even Fabris's manual shows hand parries. It's as Robert said, the hand is used as a supplemental defense.
Björn Hellqvist
myArmoury Alumni

myArmoury Alumni

PostPosted: Tue 06 Jan, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Stephen A. Fisher wrote:
You don't happen to have any pictures of those do you?

Unfortunately not.

My sword site
Eric Gerry

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Nit-picking time! It wasn't DiGrassi, but Saviolo:

L. But I praye you tell me, is it not better to breake with the Swoorde, then with the hand? for (me thinketh) it should be dangerous for hurting the hand.

V. I will tell you, this weapon must bee used with a glove, and if a man should be without a glove, it were better to hazard a little hurt of the hand, thereby to become maister of his enemies Swoorde, than to breake with the swoord, and so give his enemy the advantage of him.

Moreover, having the use of your lefte hand, and wearing a gantlet or glove of maile, your enemy shall no sooner make a thrust, but you shal be readye to catch his swoorde fast, and to command him at your pleasure: wherefore I wish you not to defend any thrust with the swoorde, because in so dooing you loose the point.

L. But I pray you, is it not good sometimes to put by a thrust with the swoord?

V. I will tell you when it is good to use the swoord

Generally, Saviolo defends with a stoccata on the inside, a passata on the outside, and a generous helping of hand parries (which, of course, carries over easily into rapier-and-dagger). Cool
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Fri 09 Jan, 2004 2:23 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Not nitpicking at all, Eric, thank you for the correction.

I have Saviolo, DiGrassi, and Silver all in one book, and I sometimes confuse quotes from the two Italians.
Jim Post

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 4:38 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

Bill Grandy wrote:
Not nitpicking at all, Eric, thank you for the correction.

I have Saviolo, DiGrassi, and Silver all in one book, and I sometimes confuse quotes from the two Italians.

What book would that be? I'd be very interested in purchasing it.

Jim

World's second-youngest curmudgeon
Bill Grandy
myArmoury Team

myArmoury Team

PostPosted: Sun 11 Jan, 2004 6:17 pm    Post subject:         Reply with quote

It's called Three Elizabethan Fencing Manuals. Here's a link to Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-...mp;s=books

Forum Index > Historical Arms Talk > Parrying gloves
Page 1 of 1 Reply to topic